72.8K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nipple recon - just had it - they are very big! Will they shrink?

4 REPLIES 4
TammyM

Re: Nipple recon - just had it - they are very big! Will they shrink?

Thanks guys for your time in responding. I hope there might be more ladies out there with some nipple (or nubbin) stories to tell... I'm still pretty worried about them. Now it is two weeks post surgery and one has shrunk quite a bit, and has gone all mishapen, and the other is standing strong and proud, and doesnt look like its going anywhere!
Although I have to say, my very kind friend (who has all natural boobs) showed me her nipples yesterday, and she has sticky outy nips that are quite big, and I wouldnt have thought anything of it if I'd have seen them so I guess everyone is different, and perhaps I just can't get used to something that I personally didnt really have before. Unless it was cold of course!
Anyway. More stories please, if there are any out there...
lots of love
Tammy
Lilac_Blue

Tammy, mine looked like a puffy button and it has reduced quite a bit at 6 months yet the projection is still there more onthe right than the left. I asked my PS about women who report the nipples go flat and was told it depends on the surgery. If you have had implants, there is a greater chance of them flattening because of the constant pressure of implants pressing forward. A flap recon is less likely to flatten because the lack of forward pressue on the nipple. I'm going in for another revision and that is normal with flap recon, there is more revision involved and common for a few goes to get it right. Try to stay open minded about how your recovery will go because after the swelling goes down and shrinkage, you may have a much different opinion. I do agree with you regarding piecemeal information. I think these recons are so common to these PS's that they are somewhat laissez faire about it all. My story - The circular disk of skin sewn on me after the surgery, that covered the nipple area had a few lines in it. A few weeks of looking at this, I asked on a PS, why the discoloured lines running across the attached skin disk, and he then explained it was my actual flattened tummy button used and that will also be what my nipple is made from. It was a weird realization and had to find acceptance, my stomach fat is now filling my left breast and tummy button is now flattened and sewn to the front of my breast.. Had this flattened tummy button been explained to me beforehand, oh hell no, why bother! LB, x
Guest user
Not applicable

I had mine done 3 weeks ago. They have shrunk a built - but my plastic surgeon says they'll shrink more. Iorg the opposite to you as am happy with the size and don't actually want them to shrink. However, am pretty sure they will do ahave was told repeatedly beforehand to not be horrified by the original size and that they would shrink a lot...
Sorry you're upset by them. I do hope they settle down and you become happier with them.
X
GMT
Volunteer
Volunteer

Sorry I can't help you with your nipple question as I'm still waiting for recon. Just wanted to bump this up for you and also to say I whole heartedly agree with the piecemeal info and having the rug pulled.
i hope you get some answers soon, I'll be interested in any replies, at least then I might also know what to expect!!
take care,
Gaynor xx

TammyM

Nipple recon - just had it - they are very big! Will they shrink?

Hi all,
As the subject says, I just had nipple reconstruction last week, and they are very big, I asked for small, subtle ones, and these are like 1.5cm tall and 2cm wide. (Well one is, the other is somewhat smaller!) This is freaking me out, and making me very upset. My surgeon insists they will shrink by 50% by the time 3 months has gone by (in time to do the tattoo I suppose). Even then, even if they shrink by 50% I think they are too big. I had just got my confidence back after double reconstruction surgery, and now I feel ashamed of my breasts again. Please, someone tell me they had a similar experience, and that they shrank and now they are happy, otherwise I think I might have to ask them to just take them off altogether. If that is possible?
I'm so ashamed of them that I can't bring myself to even show my mum, let alone my boyfriend. Its taken me ages to get my confidence back, and I'm so upset that it feels shattered again. I need to know what other people went through, good or bad, to manage my expectations. I need to know what is normal?
We all know how managing expectations is something we would appreciate more during this whole process. Don't we just get piecemeal information all the time, and I don't know about you, but I've had the rug pulled from under me on a number of occasions. I've thought one thing, and out of nowhere, its another thing I have to get used to.
Don't know if I'm making any sense, but if you're out there, and can share your experience with the recon nipples, I'd be so grateful.
Lots of love to all.
Tammy