Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nipple recon without general anaesthetic

8 REPLIES 8
scone

Re: Nipple recon without general anaesthetic

hello

I went in yesterday for my nipple reconstruction.

A really simple operation and the local anaesthetic wasn't a problem at all, it was so nice to come out of an operation and not have the sickness and grogginess of previous ops.

The op itself took about 40 minutes, I was aware of the PS inserting needles into me to numb the area but after that didn't feel aware of anything at all.

Had no pain post op, didn't need any painkillers and a good night sleep.

The big thing now is to ensure the nipple doesn't flatten.

I'm wearing a foam protector over the nipple and will for about 3 months.

Has anyone any suggestions as to how they prevented this from happening at all?

thanks

Jude

scone

there are numerous ways to construct the nipple gk so I'm sure you'll get plenty of advice. I know he's dong mine from the skin graft he took from my back when I had the initial LD reconstruction.

As far as a time line goes I had mx in April 2010 and then LD recon October 2011, a fat transfer in July 2012 and in Feb 2013 another fat transfer and a reduction to good side.

For me the process has taken just over 3.5 years.

Good luck to you all and I'll report back after my op on Thursday.

Jude

xx

gk

I'm 12 days post bi MX and been told nipple reconstruction involves "a fancy piece of needlework". No mention of importing new tissue in to do the job. I wonder if Ive not yet been given the full picture or if there are less invasive options? I like the idea of a low invasion!

chrisalex

Hello all

I,m very interested in what you are saying as I hope to have this procedure some time in the future.  I had my initial mx in September last year and had to wait until this month to have mamoplexi on my other breast to have some sort of symmetry.  I now have to wait for an appt with a ps but have been told that she is off long term sick and has a huge waiting list.  I have also been told it will take 2 more ops - 1 for transfer of skin to the recon breast, then the second op to make the nipple.

I suppose my question is how long did any of you ladies have to wait for the start of this procedure as I feel my life is on hold until this is done.

Regards Chris

scone

Hello

I had an LD recon about 2 years ago and they grafted an elipse shaped piece of skin from my back to my breast and my PS has said he will do the nipple recon from this piece of skin.

I will report back to you, I think though there are alot of different ways to do this.

Good luck with yours next year.

kitten_mad

I am hopefully getting this done early next year, so would be really interested in how it all goes. Please keep us posted after you have been. What Dana says sounds great though. Are you getting it constructed from another part of your body?

K M 

scone

thanks for that Dana, very reassuring.  I don't have much feeling anyway on the recon site so I'm expecting it all to be very bearable.

yes, hopefully next year the tatooing will be the final procedure then I'm good to go!!!

Jude

x

Dana1

Hi Jude

I'm a theatre nurse and scrub for these procedures and it is the most fantastic thing to see and the results are amazing. Although like a general the local anaesthetic is given in a room outside theatres, we talk to patients whilst having the procedure and they have never had any pain issues. They will monitor you and can always give more if you feel any discomfort. Are you having nipple tattooing later, that really finishes off the effect and looks great. Good luck for next week, but I'm sure you will be fine. Xx D
scone

Nipple recon without general anaesthetic

Hello Ladies

I'm going in for nipple reconstruction next week and I'm having a local rather than general anaesthetic - is this as pain free as it's been sold to me!!!

Apologies if I've already posted this previously!

Jude