Nipple reconstruction and fat transfer

Hi everyone,

For anyone considering or due to have nipple reconstruction and/or fat transfer done, I thought I would post about my recent experience of this.

My brief history is tissue expander/implants reconstruction (bilateral) but radiotherapy on one side caused damage/shrinking to that side.

Anyway - op for both procedures took about 90 mins under a general and then just one night in hospital. I was pleasantly surprised afterwards at minimal amount of soreness. No problem moving around. Only needed a couple of doses of paracetamol and I am a wuss when it comes to pain!

Fat transfer - fat was taken from stomach and apart from some unsightly bruising, it’s just felt a bit sore there.

Nipple reconstruction - I can’t believe what a difference this makes to the overall look of the reconstruction. So much better and even with do’nut foam pads still in place to protect the new babies, the reconstructed breasts already feel much better and more like they’re now mine! Pain levels in the breast area are also next to nothing - perhaps because of lack of nerve endings there now after previous surgery? One other thing that was very useful was using some cling-on false nipples to work out the best position for the nipple reconstructions. You can get these from amoena: amoena-online.co.uk/Accessories/Adhesive-Nipples-ivory/p-19-109/ I had the ivory/small ones.

Am now looking forward to bandages coming off and moving on to the tattoo stage.

Oh, one other thing is that I was told the fat transfer often needs a second and sometimes a third go to get it right. However, after my first experience of it, that certainly wouldn’t put me off now.

Good luck to anyone thinking of having this done.

Hi,
Thanks so much for posting your experience.I will be having the same thing done on my reconstructed side.I was a bit scared of the tummy bit but you have reassured me so much.I am recovering at the moment from rads after a WLE on my recon (long story) but I look forward to the day when I can have a nipple!
Good luck with the tattoo.I never thought I would have a tattoo LOL!
Love
Dot
xxx

Thank you No1Mummy, it’s so good to hear all this. I’m facing bilateral mx & immediate recon with expander implants in 5 weeks time, and it’s so good to know that the nipple part of the journey will be relatively short and sweet. Good advice about the false nipples too - thanks!
River x

wonderful news, so pleased for you,

I am not to bothered about nipple construction, but I know my surgeons posititvity will have me doing it, she wants to complete the reconn next april and also lift my droopy one.

unable to decide at the mo told her im not going for gold, truth is im a bit scared of the lifting procedure , repositioning nipple , the though goes through me, even after going through reconn ???

what a big girl im not

good luck with ops xxxxx

Hi everyone

I’ve just had a nipple reconstruction today. Could not feel a thing, only bit that is sore was where they removed my port. Does anyone know how long you have to wait to have it tattooed?

And what is the fat transfer?

I had a reconstruction at the same time as my mastectomy, and definitely think it was the best decision. They gave me an epidural and had no pain at all, even when I came out of hospital 6 days later.

Hi, I had a nipple reconstruction in the middle of September. You usually have to wait around 6 weeks for the tattoo the reconstruction needs to be healed completely. I’m having my tattoo on the 12th of this month, there was a delay due to illness and holidays. Will let you know how it goes on.
xx Lou

Hi Lou

If you could let me know that would be great. I’ve got mine covered at the moment. Scared to take the bandage off in a couple of days as scared what it will look like, i’ve been so used to it without a nipple.

Hi. The nipple reconstruction makes all the difference to the breast, makes it look more natural. I am really please with mine hope it will be ok with the tattoo and they don’t do it blue or something. WIll be in touch after the big day next week. x x

Hi. Boo hoo couldn’t have the tattoo as the machine was broken. Now have to wait for another appointment, very disappointed as I had waited for five hours in the hospital. Will keep you posted. x x

Hi everyone,

Going for my clinic appointment on Mon. Will be just over two weeks post-op. Everything looking fine and healing up nicely. Will be asking how long until tattooing but still very pleased I had this done. It does feel strange to have two nipples after all this time with none.

Redlou - poor you having to wait around then no tattoo. Hopefully the next appointment won’t be too long off.

Anita, the fat transfer is also called lipofill - it’s a bit like liposuction from your stomach (or thighs) then they do something to the fat they’ve removed before re-injecting it into the breast reconstruction to fill little dents or soften/improve the shape of radiotherapy-damaged skin. It’s a fairly simple procedure but is a new idea and not yet available at all hospitals.

x

Hi

The fat transfer sounds a good idea. My reconstructed breast has gone really hard and I am a bit worried that it will not soften up. I’m really pleased with my nipple so far. I was really scared when I took the dressing off, but the result is amazing, sure it will look even better once it is tattooed.

Hi No1Mummy.
I’ve had a mastectomy immediate recons with implant/tissue expander.My concern is i now need rads.What effect has rads had on your implant? And also has it been difficult to construct new nipples on your skin after the rads? It is very important to me to be able to have a new nipple after every thing has been completed.I haven’t been able to look at myself fully in the mirror yet as not
having a nipple there really bothers me.
Love
Debs x

Hi Debs,

You’re in a similar position to me. They don’t normally start doing an implant/expander reconstruction if they know you’ll need rads. After my inital surgery, they discovered that the tumour was bigger than they’d thought and also very close to the chest wall. They were hesitating over giving me the rads until I told them that the reconstruction had to be of secondary importance to maximising my chances of seeing my children grow up. I haven’t regretted that decision once.

Anyway, my skin didn’t suffer too badly during the rads - I only went slightly pink but it did alter the long-term feel of that side compared to the other side which was being done preventatively. The rads side is harder and a less good shape. However, the effect of the rads does seem to vary hugely from person to person so it’s impossible to predict how you would be affected.

Before having the rads, I did ask the surgeon what the worst case scenario was and he said that the implant might fail (because of the rads) and I’d have to have an LD flap on that side. Well it didn’t come to that. The implant went in fine and it’s just not quite as good as the other side but in a bra/clothes, it looks fine and no-one would be able to tell any difference.

If not having a nipple is bothering you, then I would say definitely to go for the reconstruction. It was really a very minor procedure for me and I’m very pleased with my new additions. Somehow, it makes the whole reconstructed breast look different as it draws the eye away from the less good bits. I also like the way that the reconstructed nipple is all mine whereas the reconstructed breast is mostly artficial.

The method they used for my nipple reconstruction was a C V cut (in the shape of the letters) they they sort of twist it round to form the nipple shape which starts off quite big then shrinks over a few weeks.

In the meantime, try the artificial nipples from Amoena - they stay put really well and might help in the meantime. If nothing else, they’re handy for planning the position of the new nipples.

Good luck with the rads - they’re a walk in the park after all the other stuff - we planned extra things into the week like lunch out or a trip to the shops on the way home then I’d tell myself that the hospital appointment was an afterthought to the main purpose of the day!

Nicola x