Nipple reconstruction

Nipple reconstruction

Nipple reconstruction I had a nipple reconstruction on 22 March. My reconstruction looks like a proper breast now, which I am happy about. My concern is that the reconstructed nipple is very large & lower down than my other nipple. It sticks out through my clothes. Will this settle down or flatten out? Or can any adjustments be made to make it look symetrical?
Thanks, Lisa x

For Lisa Hi Lisa

There is a thread just below dated 30.03.07 and titled, Has anyone had a nipple reconstruction, which you may find interesting to read.

I hope you find this useful

Best wishes

On Line Host
Breast cancer care

it does get smaller Dear Lisa

Reconstructed nipples are made bigger to allow for ‘shrinkage’. You’ll probably find in a few weeks when you look that it seems to have suddenly got smaller and flattened somewhat. Mine doesn’t stick out all in clothes now (it did initially so I covered it with a piece of gauze if I was wearing a closer-fitting top).
Some of us also find there is further flattening occuring after tattooing, although I think this can sometimes be more to do with the tattooed areola area swelling temporarily, giving the impression the nipple has shrunk further.
Sorry, I can’t really comment on positioning. My surgeon took a long time measuring and working out the position, and it is spot on.
Do let us know how things go.
Best wishes, Timetraveller

Snap! Hi Lisa

I had my nipple recon on 23rd March. When I saw it last week I was also a bit concerned because it’s not really what I expected as mine also sticks out a lot and can be seen through clothes.

I can’t tell about position yet as I had augmentation on my good side as well and it’s still very swollen, but my surgeon did do quite a lot of measuring so I’m presuming it will be fairly symmentrical, but I’ll have to wait and see.

As timetraveller says it should hopefully settle down and shrink a bit and I have heard before that the tattooing can make quite an improvement. (Thanks timetraveller you’ve set my mind at rest a bit as well).

Hope it works out for you.

Vicky x

I had mine done last Monday. I also at the same time had my natural breast lifted and reduced so that I now have 2 matching breasts. He used the skin he removed to construct the new nipple. I absolutely love it and am so glad I had it done. I’m still healing of course but feel great! Go for it!