Nipple tattooing

Hi Ladies,

I was wondering if anyone has had nipple tattooing without nipple recon, and if your happy with the results. Im due to have one in the next few weeks, i opted not to have nipple recon was just going to have the tattoo but am undecided. Any info would be greatly received.

Take Care

Leslee x

Hi Leslee

There’s a thread on here, think it’s called ‘silicone nipples - recommended’, started by Clarabelle, which is quite useful. Also, a few hospitals make silicone ones (exact copy of your ‘good one’, assuming you’ve had single mast!). I’m going for this option as can’t be nipple ‘reconn’d’ until next year. That way, I can decide if the silicone itself is ‘real’ enough or whether to continue along the path of recon (I know Clarabell’s really pleased with hers).

Good luck xx

Hi Lesley

I had nipple tattooing done 3 months ago and have to say that they look fantastic. The tattooist mixed up the colour to go with my own skin tones and actually put a few lighter and darker speckles in to make them look a bit more realistic. She also did the centre part darker to make it look more like a sticky out bit. The procedure is painless as they give you some numbing cream before hand and if your anything like me I hadn’t got full feeling back in that area anyway.

I have since had nipple recon but unfortuanly this has failed and they have flattened out. All I can say is that unless you look too close they do actully look like nipples and have made a big difference to the way my reconstructed breasts look. I actually look myself now as a woman with 2 breasts rather than a woman who doesn’t look too bad considering i’d had a bilateral mastectomy, which is how I used to think.

Good look on what ever you decide
Karen x

Karenr - Glad you are so pleased. I would love to feel like a woman with two breasts again!

Did i understand correctly, you had the tatoos done prior to the nipple recon surgery? I have wondered why they don’t do it before the recon if they are using local tissue raised on the mound as you imagine it is easier to tatoo when flat! Also, the tatooist, was this at the hospital or did you have it done elsewhere? NHS or private?? Will you have the failed nipple recon resurrected or what happens when a nipple recon fails? So many questions!

Love

Jane x

Hi Jane

My nipple recon was scheduled on 2nd June this year and because i was re-diagnosed my surgeon agreed for me to have the tattooing done first so that i would be done for my wedding/honeymoon in Sept this year for the topless sunbathing (if you get the jist) Wedding was booked quick due to re-diagnosis.

The tattoing was done at the hospital NHS. It usually is done after the recon as this can usually pull the circle out of shape slightly. I will need a slight touch up of tattooing but am quite happy for that sunbathing as they are right now. I will be going for a second atempt at the recon in October/November this year so fingers crossed they don’t flatten again.

Hugs
Karen x

Karenr - So sorry about the re diagnosis, what can anyone say other than I wish you many years of excellent health.

That is so lovely that the surgeon rescheduled your recon and tatoo so you could have your wedding. I am also well impressed at the topless sunbathing!! Another stupid question re the recon of nipple recon - how will they do that?? I am imagining little splints or fat injections!!!

Hope everything goes well for you and you have a beautiful wedding and wonderful honeymoon.

Love

Jane x

Ohh Thank you Jane

To make the nipple they pull the skin together, twist and stitch, thus forming a nice sticky out bit. At first they looked huge which my partner and I laughed about but I think it was only as it had been so long without them. unfortunaltey after 2 weeks they started to flatten and think that the stitch pulled away with the glue that they put on to protect them.

Ask anything, only too happy to help
Karen x

It probably sounds a bit sad but I so want a nipple! I think it will be a psychological boost and i love what you said about feeling a woman with two boobs rather than recons!

Hoping your next op gives you the nips you hope for!

Lots of Love

Jane x

Dear Leslee

I had a nipple tattooed without reconstruction initially as I didn’t want further surgery at the time. However, it wasn’t successful because it wasn’t done very well at all and didn’t look the slightest bit realistic even from a distance. Fortunately it faded a lot over the next few months and I had a nipple reconstruction which was later tattooed (by a different nurse) who made a much better job of it. I’m sure a lot depends on how skilled the person doing the tattooing is, so don’t let me put you off. However, I have to say I was, and still am, incredibly pleased with my nipple reconstruction which looks very realistic indeed.

Thanks Ladies for your comments its great when you can get info from the horses mouth so to speak. I was even contemplating on having a flower put where my nipple shoud be. I have had bi-lateral mx with immediate recon but i kept my good side nipple (wish i hadnt now as it goes of to one side a little) story on profile. Anyway thank you so much for your replies.

Take Care

Leslee x