Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nipples!!!

22 REPLIES 22
Highlighted

Re: Nipples!!!

Hi Orchard

Thanks for your reassurance - I'm pleasantly surprised that the procedure and recovery was so quick. I'll have another word with my surgeon and ask her to put me on the list. I believe that once you're on the list they have to get you in within 17 weeks, so will have to time it around a planned holiday. It would be nice to look more normal again after all this time. Best wishes, PoppyJ

Highlighted

Hi Poppy's and Dawn1 (and anyone else!)

I started this thread to tell other ladies about my experience of nipple reconstruction because I was so happy with the surgery and results! 

I wasn't going to have it done at all but when my PS explained the procedure I was surprised at how straightforward it all sounded. I had a 'dog ear' that needed sorting anyway so the whole thing took about 90 minutes under local anaesthetic. I went in at 7.30am and was home by 3pm. They did insist on having someone collect me. 

I had it done on the Tuesday and went back to work on Thursday. I was only working half days since my mx and I am a nursery teacher, so fairly 'on the go'!!! 

The result is very good, completely natural looking. I am fairly amazed at how 'normal' they look!

xxxx

Highlighted

Poppy Very Good questions I am also interested in the answers as I may go throught the same prodcedure x
Highlighted

I had my mastectomy & LD flap reconstruction in one go last May, now been offered a new nipple (have been through the stick-on pantomime and always feel they'll drop off in public!). Also a "tidy-up" as my new boob is considerably bigger under my arm than the original one.

Few questions for those who've been there/done that. Did you have it under local anaesthetic? Will they let me go home on my own (live alone so no choice)? How long was the recovery period, i.e. driving, playing sport etc? Most important of all, was it worth it? Grateful for any advice from all you lovely ladies.

poppyj

Highlighted

So great to read about everyones nipple experiences. Having had an mx on my left breast with reconstruction I am waiting to have my right breast "lifted" to match. I thought this would be a simple nip and tuck but apparently my surgeon says there could be similar scarring to my left breast. (Well at least they will match) then I will hsve a new nipple made for my left breast. Funnily enough after all I have had done to me this bit freaks me out. I want it done but stupidly watched a nipple operstion on u-tube, big mistake. Still going to do it though. You all seem to think it worthwhile. Until I have the uplift my boobs look odd anyway and one with a missing nipple will always look odd. My scarring is all underneath my breast so when everything is done they should look ( although never feel)  ok.

Highlighted

Don't worry! You haven't put me off! It's good to know about the experienced of others. My reconstructed breasts are fairly numb anyway so not sure whether I'd feel anything!
Highlighted

Ladies, please don't be put off getting the nipples done, just because I experienced some pain with the tattooing doesn't mean you will. The nurse that done mine said she had a patient fall asleep during the process, so clearly it was not painful for her. And if it does sting more than you can bear, they can give you a local, the end result is definitely worth it, and if my colour fades and needs re-doing I will not hesitate in having it done. I hope these reassures you all and I am sorry if my comments have caused you unnecessary worry. Xx
Highlighted

Hi there,

Sorry to hear you all getting a bit worked up with nipple problems!  Perhaps our helpline team may be to help with what's out there on the nipple reconstruction front?  Do give them a ring and have a chat, they're here to support you through this.

Calls are free 0808 800 6000 lines open weekdays 9-5 and Saturday 10-2.

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

Highlighted

I agree has well, I am getting more worked up about a Nipple than I did with having a mastectomy!!
What is wrong with Me!!
From day 1, I have been calm my surgeon loves my attitude, afterall its not their fault I had cancer!!
Now however I am getting Very anxious about a Nipple!!
I am Not loving my bloob, and being young and Single
I guess I always thought prince charming would come in his white horse to pick me up.
Now if I can't look or touch my bloob how can anyone else..
Bloody Nipples!!
Highlighted

Am a bit worried about the tattooing now!! Or 'tit tooing' as my lovely friends call it!!! Maybe I'll ask for local anaesthetic before they start! I've not had a tattoo before either!
Highlighted
Community Champion

Oops Dawn 1,meant to post that for you re your 50th birthday" to do list" on another thread!!!
Highlighted
Community Champion

Have you appeared on T.V ?Put that on your list and see what you can do !!!Make sure you let us know what programme to watch !
Highlighted

Thank you ladies I am still struggling with what to do, be great to have a place where you can look at photographs to give you some idea.. I am Very Single and a Young 49 year old women, its my 50th birthday in September.. So I have already had a dramantic year. Thank you for all you advice

Highlighted

Hello ladies, I thought I would just jump in here and let you know my experience of getting the reconstructed nipples. I had my nipples reconstructed in April under local anaesthetic and had very little pain afterwards. They have flattened out quite a bit but there is still a little bump there, so I am pleased I had them done. I have literally just got back from the hospital from having my tattooing done and I found this very painful (never had tattoos before) I ended up having to have a local anaesthetic (what a wuss) and they are still hurting now even though I have taken pain killers, but I am sure the pain will subside and it will all be worth it. The nurse said it takes about six weeks to settle and heal and show the real end result.
I did have silicone nipples initially but although they looked fairly good a realistic from a distance they would fall off and the most inopportune moment(!) or I would simply forget to put them on until after I was dressed and then couldn't be bothered to put them on, so yes they did end up in the bedside drawer in their packet, they have been put in the bin! I had my bilateral masectomy and recon in September.
Highlighted

Hi Dawn1, my plastic surgeon mentioned stick on nipples but said lots of women aren't keen and they end up in a box in a drawer! Reconstructed nipples do shrink by about a third but they did seem quite big when the dressings came off! Let me know if you want to know anything else. Xxxx
Highlighted

I am so glad someone put up this post.I had my masectomy 3 weeks ago and went to see the surgeon
and they told me I could have a stick on nipple the others done in surgery go flat after a while...So i am struggling with my choice x
Highlighted

Hi Morrisbird. I had it done under local, it took about 90 minutes altogether which included sorting out a 'dog ear' on my right side. I've had absolutely no discomfort at all! The worst was going back to no showers and only shallow baths for a week, but hey, a small price to pay. Good luck when the time comes. Xxx
Highlighted

Hi Jillybee, the end is definitely in sight! I'm also looking forward to buying new bras!! Xxx
Highlighted

Hi Orchard, thanks for posting this.  I am about 3 months away from right Mx and starting to think about a replacement nipple!  Did you have it done under local or general anaesthetic?  How long did the procedure take?  Any discomfort (realise that sounds odd considering we have had Mx anyway, so other things might be less of a big deal!!)?  TIA for your advice!  Morris Bird x

Highlighted

YAY...am waiting for my new nipples.Denotes end of the whole episode of have BC and surgery.....I am waiting to get my seroma sorted following my DIEP.....loooooong story,but my BCN is going to do my tattoos when I have finally got myself sorted.Shall cry,no doubt.It has been 2 years since Dx.....then.....I am going to buy new bras which will give me a cleavage.
Highlighted

I haven't had the tattooing yet, have to wait until it's all settled. That's something else I wasn't going to bother with but now I think it'll finish the job off nicely!
Highlighted

Hi Orchard 

That is so encouraging so thank you for sharing. Have you had tattooing as part of it? Interesting that your surgeon says it draws redeye away from the scarring. I had reconstruction with a tissue expander and have a long straight scar across the Middleton the Breast where nipple would be. I do worry that itvmightvlook busy all together but maybe not. I am waiting for the swap to a permanent implant first so nipple reconstruction a little way away for me. 

Kate x

Highlighted

Nipples!!!

Hi Everyone, I just wanted to say that if there is anyone out there who's had a mastectomy and is unsure about nipple reconstruction, go for it!!

I have bi mx with LD recon in Feb this year because I'm BRCA1 positve and was first diagnosed with grade 3 bc in Feb '13. I had WLE, 6X chemo and 15 X rads. Nodes were clear.

After undergoing the mx  in Feb, I was just so happy that I'd reduced my risk of recurrance so drastically that I really wasnt bothered what my newly reconstructed breasts looked like. And actually they were ok. However when I saw my plastic surgeon in June and he ecxplained the precedure involved in nipple reconstruction and that they would draw the eye away from the scaring I had second theought and decided to go for it. I was told thet there'd be a 3-4 month wait but was lucky enough to get a cancellation and went in with less than 24 hours notice almost 3 weeks ago. 

When the dressing came off the following week, I was stunned at how realistic they look! I've said to friends that if they'd said to me " when you had the mx, we removed the nipples, put them in the freezer and have now reattached them", i woud have believed them. 

I hope this helps anyone who is unsure about what to do and am more than happy to answer any questions.