376053posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Memory- Anyone else finding this?!

29 REPLIES 29
Jo_BCC

Re: No Memory- Anyone else finding this?!

Hi Anneliese

Before you take anything other than what has been prescribed to you BCC always advise that you check with your medical team first just to make sure it's okay.

Take care. Kind regards,
Jo, Facilitator

emmbee

I was told to take time each day to do some puzzles. Crosswords, sudoku etc as they help your brain to stay alert during chemo. Obviously I don't know whether I would have developed chemo fog but I am glad to say that my memory is fine.

Do try doing puzzles as it won't harm and it may help and it is relaxing which is what we all need.

E

Anneliese

Hi

I finished chemo in May last year but I still feel that there is a 'black hole'somewhere in my brain. I used to be able to remember everything with seemingly no effort - now if I don't remember to write something down - too late - it's gone! Does anyone have any idea how long this memory loss lasts? I think there's been a headlong crash in my head between chemo-brain, tamoxifen/menopause brain - scary! Mind you a friend of mine said she is getting forgetful & she is in the menopause (but hasn't had BC)... A work colleague has suggested Ginko Biloba so I'm going to try it - hoping I can remember to take it!!

love Anneliese xx

evie2007

I went to a wedding this weekend and forgot my dress..didnt realise till 2 hrs before andf had to find a shop and buy another befpre rushing to the wedding..
i hate this memory mloss. makes me feel like a total idiot.

looking_lovely

I don't know whether mine is chemo brain or just the way I am
I not only forget people's names ,quite a few times I have even forgotten faces ,which is really embarassing
I was introduced to a new doctor the other day by the oncologist only to have her reply that she has seen me a few times already
so embarrassing

Kindensurprise

I finished chemo Oct 08 and still have chemo brain, which I find to be slow to improve, and there is no help available. My mind is in a fog. Sometimes it feels like I am 'waking up' a bit, but my intellect is not at all what it was, which is immensely frustrating. I was the one friends and family relied on to remember absolutely everything, and they still ask me so I find myself saying I can't remember which was not in my vocab before bc. Hate it.

Kinden
x

elljaydee

Hi

I know this one so well and its about eight weeks after chemo. My short term memory is just a bit screwed up. Someone gave me a password for a computer the other day, simple one. i had to email and ask them it again. And, if i want to know it now i will have to look at the email because i have forgotten it yet again, only that it ends in 2. I forget what i am saying in mid sentence, etc.. All appointments are on fridge under magnets so i can remember them.

Now is it chemo brain (finished June) or tamoxofen brain (started June)?

I am now doing a daily dose of sudoku (self prescribed) to make my brain a bit sharper...

LOL Linda

daisy999

I have finally joined the list making club. If I don't write it on a list, ping......the thought is lost...

Also am now in the ...'what did I come upstairs for' gang too!

Daisy xx

evie2007

i keep starting to cook stuff then realising i have not got he crucial ingredient! really irritating. boiled water for my daughters poached egg only to realise i didnt bloody have any! then she was going egg egg egg...bugger it

bought new pans at asda- £3!! good enough to cremate debs!

debs

Hi all,

just found this thread and it has given me such a laugh after feeling so c**p after 3rd fec!!
I'm so glad I'm not the only one! think my OH is fed up of saying 'you told me that' or 'I told you that'
Couldn't organise the do in a brewery now!!!

love Debs xxx
PS Sue, do some saucepan shopping in the sales!!

looking_lovely

Hi Lulu,
I had chemo brain,finished chemo july 08,then started calling it tamoxifen brain,not sure which it is ,but until I stopped taking tamoxifen in feb,I was absolutely paralysed by having to take the smallest decision.Have you ever stood in front of the open wardrobe and been unable to decide what to wear?Or opened the fridge door and couldn't decide what to cook?Before I used to forget peoples names sometimes,now I forget their faces too !Now it is a year since I finished treatment,I am beginning to come out of it,I hope ,but progress is slow

Lulu34

my memory has been pants since i had placenta head with the kids 18 years ago... now i have chemo brain i have something new to blame LOL

as for falling over im a clumsy clot at the best of times and in the past 3 years iv broken my ankle, broken my hand, stabbed myself in the nose with a bread knife, sprained both wrists and elbows ice skating and fell off the loo and gave myself a massive black eye....

god help me in the future LOL

reddragon

memory yes i remember that i think! puting things down and forgetting where or why i did something or didnt do something, watching tv only to think half way through what the hecks this about?, going to the kitchen to get...erm? or getting the bread out to make a sandwich with the washing tablets in one hand and the bread knife in the other... talking on the phone and then stopping because i can't remember what i was talking about...ah yes the one and only brain cell has deffo gone on its hols..lol

Feemac

Hello,

Just to add...have just ran away my tank of hot water by leaving the utility room tap on filling up the basin. The cat's dishes are now sterile never mind clean and there is a 2 foot high dome of bubbles!!

Bang goes the bath!!!

Fiona xxxx

peppapot

Oh i am so glad its not only me. I have my second Chemo tomorrow and feel like my brain has just recovered from the last.All the symptoms I expected never materialized, apart from the hair loss. But I have numb nut big time. I have been writing myself rotas so I dont forget what time to pick Grandkids up etc. What day to order groceries etc.
Its a great relief to know its not something gone wrong, xxx

2Fee4

Hi,

My last chemo was early may and I still have memory troubles. Like having great fun with friends when I stop mid conversion and say "What were we talking about?".

I think it's getting a little better but maybe I'm just getting used to it. Good luck anyway.

Fee

hope

Oh thank god it's not just me!

Roadrunner, thanks for the info on the phyto thing (see.....forgotten already!)I will google it. It's not one of those ghastly grenn algaecide mixes is it? Not really palatable at my stage (day 4 after first chemo) anyway I'll have a look.

Thanks
Lee x

abiangel

Hi there yes i seem to have chemo brain as well on third fec
Not sure if its the chemo or the stress of it all, or a combination of the both !

elinda45

It's now 11 weeks since my last chemo as I've had surgery and my memory is just starting to improve slightly. when I was on chemo it was absolutely terrible.

My husband bore the brunt of it all. I'd already told him I was becoming a complete sieve-head so I needed him to tell me everything including all my appointments and got angry with him when I forgot anything. Luckily he just ignored me.

I'm due to start chemo again in a couple of weeks so here we go again....

elinda x

woodlark

Ive not started treatment yet..and Ive got a blinking awful memory to start off with..is there any hope?

RoadRunner

I started taking a phyto-power supplement from Kingsgate Health (google it) about three months ago. This was on the advice of a friend who had BC about five years ago, at the age of 40 with a high node involvement. She in turn was told by a skin cancer nurse who had seen improvements in her patients taking this supplement. I am taking it as a preventive measure against the cancer coming back (as is my friend who is still NED). However, after taking it for two weeks I realised that I had a significant improvement in my chemo brain symptoms, which I had had since chemo in 2007. I feel much sharper, the brain fog has gone. I can process numbers much more quickly, and I can keep up with the plot on TV dramas instead of forgetting who did what and who is related to whom.

If you want more information, ring the number on the website and they will talk to you about it.

evie2007

Oh god i better buy a timer then if this is goin to last?!

thanks ladies
X

rachy7

yes, i still have chemo brain after finishing chemo last August. It is a bit better but still have memory problems.

Rachy xx

Lily200

Hi,
I hit the house with my car because I forgot it had a number plate that sticks out and also had to stop to think which way to go home, when 400 yards from my home!!Derrrrh. All I can say is it does get much better although the family would tell you I still have my moments lol. I think it is the chemo (I blame 5FU - know what I think that is short for!) and plunging us into menopause, which can affect things too. Yes lost lots of saucepans so now set a timer to pull me out of my time trance
Lily x

lizcat

Ladies,

It's chemo brain and it's recognised as an official side effect so you are not going mad ! I've still got it 18 months down the line....can be a good excuse if needed !!!

Liz

Jayney

Hi Sue

Chemo has killed off the one good brain cell I had - I am now a complete noggin, have no memory and totally forgetful! It must be doin us good - let's hope the brain cells come back at some stage.

Love
Jayney
xxxx

evie2007

thanks ladies!
I have another blackened pan sitting in thr garden as i type that i set fire to tonight..
god i feel so dumb. i also fell down the stairs and fell over my own feet...

doh

Feemac

Hi Sue,

I have horrendous memory!! I have burnt, lost, forgotten about many a thing to the point of being the known numpty of the household.. I don't know whether it's chemo or just the stress of it all, oh and I can't spell either!! I used to run my own business, now I can't run a pair of tights!! Thank you BC you have a lot to answer for!!

Cheers
Fiona xxx

Gennie

It's not just you. I never used to be like that either. Well I don't think I did but I can't quite remember..... 😄

evie2007

No Memory- Anyone else finding this?!

I have lost count of the amount of times i have cremated our dinner since i started chemo simply forgetting i am cooking. I cant seem to hold a thought in my head when before i was bloody organised.

anyone else or is it just me?!

Sue