No Radiotherapy Needed - A little worried about this decision

Hi. I hope someone has had a similar experience to me that can maybe put my mind at rest.

I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer in March this year. I had the SNB where 1 sentinel node and 1 other lymph node were removed. The sentinel node showed 2mm cancerous cells and the other was clear. The tumor measured at 55mm on the MRI but they thought it was more likely to be 45mm from the other measurements and was a grade 2 ER 8/8… I was given the option of chemo or surgery first but was advised that if I could deal with living with my lump then it would be good as we can then see how well the chemo works. I was put on to EC90 and after 3 cycles I was switched to Docetaxyl to give it a good kicking! I was advised that there was an 80% chance I would need RADS due to the size of the lump.

I have finished my chemo and had my surgery (mastectomy and ANC) and went for my results last Thursday. I have been advised that the tumour they removed was 34mm and was a combination of DCIS and Ductal BC which was just one lump. The grade had changed from Grade 2 to Grade 1 with the DCIS being Intermediate. The margins were clear and no further lymph nodes were affected (phew) so all in all very good news.

As I am oestrogen positive I will soon be going on to Tamoxifen. What has surprised me is that I have now been told I don’t need RADS. I have been advised that this is because the criteria I now have (grade 1, clear margins, no lymph node involvment) means I now don’t need RADS.

I know I should be pleased that my active treatment is now over, chemo and surgery has gone well and I still have tamoxifen in my back pocket to hopefully keep me healthy but I’ve got this niggle that I’ve not thrown everything at this and should I be challanging the decision?

I have an appt to speak to the oncologist but that’s not until the end of October as that’s the soonest I can get in but I was hoping in the meantime that some of you ladies would be able to share your experiences and help to put my mind at rest.

Thanks in advance

Diana x

Hi

I would be very interested to hear the replies you get. I have had a WLE and SNB which came up all clear, also grade 1 and on Tam. I am due to see oncologist this Thursady and am wondering whether it is possible to avoid rads as my cancer is so early stage. I am finding it difficult to find stats on the effectiveness of rads for someone in my position.

All the best.

Mary

Hi Ladies

I think it must depend on your PCT. I had a 7mm tumour removed in July-  nodes clear and clear margins and they told me that I just needed 15 sessions of RT which I finished 3 weeks ago, The oncologist said that they were awaiting results of clinical trials which he thought might indicate that for ladies like me they might not offer RT in the future. They said that I could have Tamoxifen but that the risks outweigh the benefits and so I am on nothing!! Bit scary but they say I have a good prognosis. 5 years on I’ll see if they were right!!

Best wishes to all

Sian x