Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No annual Mammo?!?

12 REPLIES 12
ForumMember

Re: No annual Mammo?!?

Hi Maz

If you remain concerned following your appointment please call the helpline for further advice on 0808 800 6000, open weekdays 9am-5pm and Sat 9am-2pm.

Best wishes
Lucy

mazaroo

Had my year appointment since DX last october ..no mammo ..no ultrasound ..just a poke and a prod !!! then he said all was well "" My bc only showed on an ultrasound last year nothing on a mammo ...BC said no mammo as had recon and wont have an ultrasound until 2 yeras after dx to say I am not reassured is an understatement thought i was gonna get the works but just told he will see me April next year .mentioned my hip and bone pain ...he said it was osteo arthritis ?he also has x ray visison ?mentioned the return of my periods although on Tamoxifen and 53 and my mum died of OV cancer .but may send me to a gynae if they carry on ..have to ring and let them know ..Waste of time ..still can hardly walk and he didnt seem to care it was adiff doc to my normal one and the BC nurse was bit a bit blase too so as there isnt a lot I can do about it suppose ..they know best and I ma prob overreacting
Maz xxxx

cherub

I was told an annual mammo every year for 5 years. I turn 50 then and have been told after this I will pass into the annual screening programme.

wisps

Just to let you know that I was diagnosed in May 2004 and have had mammograms on both boobs annually ever since and as far as I know, it will continue. This is the same for all the other people I know in Sheffield with this sh*t disease! Not sure if this helps or not!!

wisps

Alloway

Thanks for all your replies.

I've very mixed feelings and I want to know why not.

(Sue, that wasn't something I considered.)

Mammogram didn't actually find my Lobular cancer; it was Ultrasound that did. There's ongoing debate about whether us Lobulars should have MRI as our preferred diagnostic as many appear to have missed with other tools. Of course, I could develop Ductal next time. Frankly, I asked about Mammo because it's the first step in the process. I had one last year, 12 months after diagnosis, and managed to talk to the Surgeon about Ultrasound, and got one, because my breast tissue was still dense. I don't know what it's like now and neither do they. I feel worried and abandoned. Herceptin was over on the 5th of August and I'm concerned that no-one seems to be watching out for any developments.

Rant over!

nicky08
Community Champion

Hi

At Basingstoke they do the same (after WLE). Mammo 12 months after dx then every 2 years. I saw consultant every 3 months to begin with, then every 6, alternating between surgeon and onc with the appts. Physical exam each time plus a general chat.

Nicky x

julie8

In Reading we have affected breast mammo after 12 months then both at 2 years! This is the norm apparently1
Love JulieX

LadyChatterbox

My onc said that I would be given a mammogram 12-18 months on...but I wasn't sure whether that meant after invasive treatment had ended or after dx

horace

I was told I will have annual mammos for life,possibly because I am triple negative.I had WLE,chemo 4xfec and 4xtaxotere and 15 rads.Had 2cm tumour,node negative and 6mm clear margins.No vascular invasion[see I now my path report by heart!].

redders

Hi Alloway!

I've just finished 5 weeks radiotherapy after WLE and my onc has said I will have an appt next June (1 yr after dx) when I will be given a mammogram on both breasts before seeing the surgeon. Every hospital and onc seems to be completely different in what they decide to do, both in treatment during and treatment after dx. It's one of my real bugbears that there doesn't seem to be a "gold standard" which is then used by everyone. Although I didn't need chemo, I did ask the onc how they decide which chemo to use on different people when 1st diagnosed. He said it depended on whether you lived in the North or South of the country - as all the oncs in the north favoured one type of chemo and the ones in the south prefered something else!!! Enough said.

BessieBoo

Does anyone know what happens when youve had a full mastectomy - how do you get checked again? And how often?

magsi

I have a date for a mammogram which will be almost a year to the day when I was first dx on Oct 31st 2007, not sure if I will be having one every year though. it sounds as though procedures may vary from place to place.

Alloway

No annual Mammo?!?

Diagnosed 26/9/06. Saw the surgeon today, was examined and expected him to order Mammo but he said that they don't do annual Mammos as a matter of course, but that I could discuss it with him in February (next appointment). He said to leave it until after I have my MRI next week (Thoracic and Spine) but added that reading between the lines, he didn't think the Onc was unduly concerned about it.
I'm p....d off. Do the Medics in my hospital all have X-ray vision or Extra- Sensory Perception, thus making Radiology redundant? BN on annual leave so will have to wait a week to speak to her about it but needed to vent!
Does any other clinic operate like this? Do any of you have annual Mammos for a given number of years after diagnosis?