1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No drains after mx anyone?

11 REPLIES 11

Re: No drains after mx anyone?

Thanks less for reply still sh losing like water bottle going to post -op appt Friday so they might drain it then I will also ask about creams etc
Kess

The discomfort and tingling are normal and nerve related. It may or may not go away but should improve with time...

Hi joe I did not have drain have some fluid build up breast nurse say not to worry unless it gets hard but I am getting discomfort under arm and back of arm feels like I imagine shingles feels clothes touching nerves does anyone else have this I am 9days post op I'm hoping it is altered sensation and will get better over time would be grateful for any advice on this and also I know not to use deodorant but underarm skin feels it's sticking to dressing any comments welcome
Kess

I was told all along I would have 2 drains, and that this usually helps the wound heal quicker. Have had them in 4 days now, hoping they will come out tomorrow as they are a bit inconvenient. They don't hurt though.
rosie14

One drain wasn't working si I have swelling on the left and had to have some drawn off this morning . The surgeon is worried that the expander on the left may not be in correct place he will check in morning I may need to go to theatre again!
Jo1

Odd how these seemingly ordinary things differ isn't it. I had mx and 8 nodes taken 5 weeks ago today and had a drain, but I've been having fluid drained each week - very uncomfortablewhen so full and the mx side looked almost as big as my other side which had 4 lumpectomies a few years ago!

songbird68

Hi rosie14. I had two drains in for 5 days - they kept me in hospital (salisbury) for 5 days too!

It did not hurt when they took them out. Hope you heal well.

My experience of drains or no drains is that there is less swelling in the breast area when you have drains. And I seemed to heal a lot quicker this time, although that could be because I didn't have snb this time.

No drain surgery was last August. Drains was this June.

I will be a year from dx in a couple of weeks!! Can't believe I made it - there were some very dark times ....

Good luck girls:) x x

rosie14

I have two drains!
lolly73

Thank u. I never realised it was possible to do without drains

songbird68

Yes it must be up to the surgeon because no drains with my first mx & snb, and then the prophy mx months later(different surgeon & hospital) I woke up with two drains. They're not too bad. Immediate reconstruction with implants both times.

Hope this helps and good luck to you xx

saffronseed

mine told me they never used drains either - but when I woke up after surgery  I had two drains affixed to me!  I was never told why.    I think its down to the surgeon and some feels there is no need for the extra intrusion in your body and any fluid will be absorbed naturally within the body.

lolly73

No drains after mx anyone?

My surgeon has said that they dont really use drains anymore after mx and lymph clearance. I thought it was standard procedure after mx for drains? Anyone elses hosp not use drains? thank u to all x