No effect from chemo, what next?

Hi ladies

I am getting rather worried about the lack of response I’ve had from my chemo (history is, IBC Dx Feb08, grade 3, stage 3, 13 x 10cm mass)

After first FEC mass stopped growing, after second FEC it started to get bigger again and CA125 doubled.

Now I’m two weeks after first Tax (they changed to this as poor result from FEC), it’s still getting no smaller

I was told that surgery was an option when it got smaller, as until then they wouldn’t risk it … but it’s NOT getting smaller!

Anyone else had this? Did chemo eventually shrink it? Will I still get surgery if it doesn’t shrink? Can I ask them to try another different chemo?

Sorry for all the questions, but I’m really floudering under all this at the moment.

Love, Rebecca

Hi Rebecca

Sorry I can’t help you with your questions but I’m sure if you ring the nurses on this site they will be able to give you more information as to what to ask your onc at the next visit.

Please don’t worry as you are in good hands.

Let us know how you are getting on and good luck.

Anita xxx

Hi Rebecca

As Anita says I think it would benefit you to talk this through one to one with our professionals. They will be able to explain what is going on which I am sure will help you. You can either phone our helpline or contact our ask the nurse service. You can find details for both of these in the support for you section of this site.

breastcancercare.org.uk/content.php?page_id=44

Best wishes

Ann

Hi Rebecca,

I’m not surprised you’re floundering. Have you talked to your oncologist of the implications if the taxotere doesn’t work? I would just say that maybe two weeks isn’t that long and you might get some response after a bit more time.

I had 6 AC before surgery which started to shrink my lump which then grew again but it was a smaller lump than yours (about 4 cm at diagnosis and about 5cm at surgery after the chemo.)

I hope the helpline can give you some advice but I think your oncologist is the one to really answer your questions. There are other chemotherapies though your particular case sounds quite unusual.

I’ve followed your story since you came on this site and I am so sorry you are having such a hard and scary time.

very best wishes

Jane

Hi Rebecca

I am so sorry you are going through such a s****y time with this crap disease. I have to agree with Jane your onc is the only person who can answer your individual questions, I am a fraid I dont know too much about some of the chemo options, but as Jane says two weeks after 1st dose may not be long enough, however that still does not stop you ringing your own onc or your BCN to discuss what is going on

take care and let us know what is going on

Linda
x

Thank you for all your lovely thoughts & comments.

I did ring the BCC helpline, and although lovely, they can’t help really as it’s too subjective.

So I’ve contacted my Onc & now have an appointment on Monday, until then I’ll just try not to think about it too much.

Rebecca

Sorry I can’t offer any answers to your questions. All I can do is offer my kind regards and wish you luck with your onc appointment.