cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No prothesis thank you

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted

Re: No prothesis thank you

Little softie tip i found again e//f cup.
Use 2 safety pins to anchor it to your bra. )I never wore a pocketed one until I got my proper prosthetic.)
1 safety pin at bottom of cup 1 at underarm side of cup kept mine where it should be didn't rise up.

Highlighted

Thanks - I will check that out.

I'm laughing about it at the moment (better than crying) but if we get a decent summer I'll want something that looks reasonable in a t-shirt. My poor good boob is having to do without support most of the time - it's going to be even droopier soon!

Highlighted

Hi Ali1962, my remaining boob is a d cup so i know a bit of how hard it must b for u. I hated my softie as it sat so much higher than the droopy d cup. I used a bean a boob from nicola jane, about £25, as it had a more natural droop and sat more in line with other side x

Highlighted

I had my Mx on Monday with no recon.

The first look down was tough but I'm getting used to it. I'm an F cup so look just a bit odd without a prosthesis. Smiley Happy No problem while I'm indoors but not sure I'm brave enough to face the world with my lopsided look!

So yesterday I tried my "softie" for the first time and went out for a little walk. No comfort problems - but it is significantly "perter" than my slightly saggy real boob!

Highlighted

Hi just wanted to join thread I'm thinking I'm going down this new normal route also

I had a double mix and think that while origianlly I was dead set on recon i will change my mind to just get on with life

best to all

Highlighted

Madmoo
I am just having a browse through the various threads.
I have had a double mx with no recon and live flat. I started a facebook group for ladies living without reconstruction with either a single or double mastectomy. Here is a link to our page if you would like to come and join us xx
Highlighted

Hi bpbninja and catokitty,

thanks for your replies. I'm 12 weeks post mx and still cannot bear any sort of band around me. I live in strong stretchy camisoles. I have now adapted a pre mx bra so intend to wear that when I can but still without a prothesis. I don't want to look like something I'm not and I don't have a problem "not looking the norm" I'm actually celebrating it. 

Good luck and good wishes. Madmoo

Highlighted

I would prefer not to wear a prosthesis but my remaining boob is 38C and so I  look really lop sided without my fake boob.  Healing does take time after mx and it took me a couple of months before I could wear my fake boob all day without thinking about it. 

Highlighted

Hi, I recently had a mastectomy (2 weeks ago) and can see where you are coming from. In all honesty I would / will wear my prosthesis when out, but around the house I don't like to. I never really feel comfortable using the prosthesis and find that I wear it more for the comfort of others (so as not to freak them out as I am very much recently diagnosed and about to embark on chemo - people around me are really unsure what to think or feel right now  ). I wear a sports bra around the house and find that this suffices without the prosthesis. 

Highlighted

Hi Elsie-Lou.

No, you're not alone. As I am a 32E,  I am now attempting to alter one of my bras to flatten the left side. I have contacted various bra suppliers about this issue and if I get no joy, I intend to contact Lorraine Kelly on tv to see what can be done. There was a lady in USA back in 2008 who altered her own clothes but I couldn't find any pictures. Sewing isn't my thing but I'm willing to give it a go. It's not just about me, it's about every single woman who has to go through losing a breast and giving her CHOICE so I'll give it my best shot, (although I need to do it on my good week, this blooming cancer gets in the way of my life and my body really does not like chemo!!!!!!!!!!!!). Take good care of you.

Highlighted

Hi Madmoo,

I have just come back to this forum and noticed your post. I am so relieved to hear of someone else who does not want reconstructive surgery or to wear a prosthesis.  I had a right breast mastectomy last May and I did get a prosthesis but I found it quite uncomfortable to wear. After a few days of wearing it, I had to have a break from it for a couple of days before wearing it again. But I decided a few months ago that I didn't want to wear it again. I feel very comfortable now not wearing it and it doesn't bother me at all.  However, I have found it difficult, at times, to wear certain tops. And I completely agree with you that some mastectomy bras are difficult to wear. I thought I wasn't thinking normally but I see I am not alone in my thinking!! Thank you for your post and making me feel I am not alone 😀

Highlighted

Although I gave no relevant experience, I do understand your point entirely. From a practical perspective (I realise it doesn't address the real problem of adequate provision), and I don't know what cup size you are, but as an A/B cup I could easily get by with a "secret support" type vest or crop top (M&S do a good range) or maybe a sports-type bra would be an option?
Highlighted

No prothesis thank you

I had a single mastectomyin January and am now undergoing chemo. I was adamant at the time of surgery that I did not want reconstruction. I don't want a prothesis either.I understand that this is not the "norm". I don't have any issues with anyone who has either a reconstruction or wears a prothesis but it's not for me. I am appalled that there is no support for not wanting a prothesis. The only mention in any literature is "some people choose not to wear a prothesis". There are no single cup bras available, there is no alternative fashion available. There is no choice. I cannot believe I am the only person who is not the norm. Any thoughts welcome. Thank you.