cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No results

16 REPLIES 16
SueW

Re: No results

Cathy It was probably nothing to do with anything you did but human nature means we often look for a reason and self blame is so easy have a great day and enjoy your drive x
pecan

Sue,  I drove for two days, and then the wound started leaking, so I think I've been beating myself up thinking I caused it, when my head says the infection was there before I drove.  The second time I drove it, it was without a bra, as my husband had forgotten to bring milk so we went to get some.  After today's outing it's definitely somewhat pinker, and warmer in a larger area, but I blame that on the antibiotics. 

The Russian food was outstanding.  I am not sorry I bought it.  I am sorry I have spoiled my diet, though.  Only a bit.  Sorry, that is.  I deserved it!  Actually, I think I ought to hold that thought until tomorrow, when I've stood on the scale.

As far as my medication goes, they say the Flucloxistuff makes the tummy run, and so does the Metformin, so it counteracts the codeine, so I'm okay!  Having said that, I have stopped the codeine for now.  It messes with my brain.  I hope your pain clears up quickly, and don't overdo the exercise.  Less is often better, and I think too  much use causes the fluid buildup.

Bottyboo.... did you have any odour coming through the dressings?  I have a really awful smell seeping upwards, through the neck of my t-shirt. 

pecan

Oh God.  8 months?  Was the chemo that urgent, Bottyboo? 

You have left me speechless.  It feels worse than the cancer thinking of it taking that long!

Bottyboo

Hi Pecan. Am so sorry to hear about your wound. I had issues with mine healing and ended up with a pico. Two at one point cobbled together in the middle. They kept losing pressure. In the end they left the smaller end of the wound out. I can't begin to describe the ridiculous ways they had to dress it and stop it beeping. I even started back to work in a reception class with it tucked inside my bra as thete was plenty of room for it after my op. Eventually my hubby was taught to dress it at home as the ward had no idea how to deal with it if it went wrong at weekends. It took 8 months to heal completely but that's because as soon as it was small enough they started chemo. Fortunately this didn't set it back but just halted the healing. Stick in there, it will suddenly start making massive progress xx
SueW

Hi Cathy glad you have had a good day x Russian food sounds good

I got codeine and laxative lol x I am taking paracetamol and ibuprofen during day (just 4 paracetamol) and saving paracetamol and codeine for bed arm is painful have started exercise but only managed shoulder shrugs and rounds today.
I drove after last op for a couple of weeks but must admit I was s little scared and my sister came in case I struggled do she could take over. I only drove once on my own but of course got to wait again now.

How is the redness now?
pecan

Hi Sue, I have had a fantastic day.  The local village had an agricultural show, and I managed to cadge a lift to it.  I'm exhausted, have overworked my arm so I have those tight pains, and bought loads of Russian food, just 'cos it looked good.  I forgot to take my antibiotics with me, and half way through the morning I discovered my Pico dressing was switched off.  The redness HAS got worse, but I don't care.  I am going to drive my car again tomorrow, and see if I'm safe on the road.  It's interesting how I've got used to not driving, and have lost confidence.  I'm pretty sure I'll be perfectly fine, but so much of me says.... oooo, maybe not!

Anyway.... how are you?  And how is your armpit?  It can't be nice at all.  Are you on the codeine?  And if you are, will you remember this conversation?

Cathy

SueW

How are you doing ? Hope the redness not got any worse x
pecan

Thanks, everyone.

They reduced the antibiotics, and I can see the redness returning.  Oh well.  I'll just keep watching.

SueW

I am so sad to read you are suffering and if positive thoughts could heal you you have all of our support x hope you get well soon xx
Chaffinch17

His was only about 4cm deep
Jencat

Pecan, I'm so sorry that you're having such a rough time and not sleeping well either. Thinking of you xx

pecan

Chaffinch, at what point was he to have warm baths?  This thing of mine is all sealed up, and although they said it was possible to shower, they didn't seem very keen on me doing it.  I did have a good shower a few days ago, but otherwise have had sponge baths, and wash my hair over the basin.  A bath was mentioned, but if I can only sit up in the bath and cannot actually lie back and enjoy it, then it it doesn't seem worth the effort.  I don't think I even fit in our bath - I have only ever showered in this one.  How big was your husband's drained abscess?  Mine is 7cm deep in at least 3 directions (being a flabby breast, and all).

Cathy

As you can see from the time, I am not sleeping!

Chaffinch17

The healing of a deep wound especially where there has been infection is best done from the inside out so that bacteria don't get trapped inside. My husband has a large abscess drained a couple of years ago and that took about a month to close. I had to pack it daily with aqua Gel. It healed really well and wasn't dressed on the outside at all and he was encouraged to have warm baths to keep it clean. I hope that you get some answers soon x
blueash
Community Champion

Oh - don't quite know what to say but I did not want to read and run.  Have you heard of this:

http://www.pycnogenol.com/home/

I took it for my heart (I am on Herceptin) and it kept my heart good enough to continue on it. They also say it is good for skin issues.

http://www.pycnogenol.com/applications/skin-care/

It is backed by science for some things you get it from Amazon :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pycnogenol-Vegeterian-Capsules-100-Count/dp/B00QJ4F0KG/ref=sr_1_3_a_it/259-...

I hope they sort you out soon so keep us posted xxx

rosietd

That's completely rubbish about your result - I sometimes think they don't fully appreciate how you get yourself prepared for these results and the emotional impact. Fingers crossed for next week.

xxx

ann-m
Community Champion

Hi Pecan,

You're really glowing through this at the mo & sorry to hear how you're feeling, but hardly surprising. 

Many years ago I had to have a cyst removed & for it to heal, the wound had to granulate from the inside out so to speak. It wasn't really suitable to suture as it would not have healed underneath. It was not big, but it probably took a month or so heal, so although it's difficult for you, it may well take some time to heal if there's a cavity there. Modern wound dressing solutions are very good now & can deal with this successfully. 

District nurses are more expert in wound dressings as they deal with it all the time, so if you haven't already, she maybe the best person to ask on the reasoning behind your wound management. Drs are not necessarily very expert about this - even surgeons!

Sending hugs

ann x

pecan

No results

I want my life back!

I went to the hospital today, only to be told after an hour of waiting around that the oncologist had not received my results yet, so the appt was cancelled.

I had my dressing changed this morning, and there is a ruddy great big hole in my breast... pic to follow only for those with a strong stomach. 

Spoiler
At least there doesn't seem to be any pus any more.breast hole.jpg

So it feels to me as if this whole roller coaster is never going to end.  I wish I knew enough about wound management, as it seems to me this should have been cleaned and stitched.  Every time they remove the stuffing, and stuff more Aquacel into it, to KEEP the hole OPEN!!!  And that's the district nurse who does that.  Today the antibiotics are supposed to finish. So I brought it up with the BCN and she got another surgeon to prescribe me more, at a lower dose, but nobody can actually take the time out to have a proper look. When the DN measured the depth of the wound at 7.5cms, and reported back to the hospital, she was told "I find that hard to believe."

I am quite depressed.

Anyway, onc appt now for next Thursday.