Nolvardex ?- HELP

Hi there everyone

I have not posted for a longtime, although I have regularly poped in to see what’s new.

Maybe I have missed the post but has anyone else been told that they can no longer get Novlerdex- tamoxifen as it has been whithdrawn from the market.
I fought long and hard like many of us to be perscribed Nolverdex even thought my doctor wanted me to take the generic brands, and know I don’t know what is the alternative and why it has been withdrawn. I can’t find anything on google.

I took my perscription to BOOTS so you would expect them to be upto date with their information.

I only have 10 days supply left and dont’ know what to ask (fight) for next.

Cheers, LOL
XX

Hi Judith

Yes it is true that Nolvadex-D isn’t being manufactured any more.

I assume that, like me, you are on Nolvadex because you had bad side effects on the generic tamoxifen.

I went to see my GP who got in touch with the onc and I’m on Femara (Letrozole) now. Just going to start my third month.

The problem with Femara is that although it’s still being manufactured it’s really difficult to get. I’ve just had to ring around the local pharmacies to find one which has a pack. Fortunately Tesco’s had one.

You should ring your BCN or see your GP (probably your BCN as time is short) and ask for something else. If generic tamoxifen is no good for you you might have to dig your heels in a bit.

We really don’t need this anxiety on top of everything else do we?

I hope you get sorted quickly.

Have a lovely holiday time.

Jan xxx

I’m in the same position. And now in my 4th year, cant really tell what are and arent side effects anymore. Just before Xmas went to Boots to collect my prescription to be told it wasnt available. Dont really like the idea of going onto the standard Tamoxifen.

Isn’t Femara was for post-menopausal? which I’m not.

Hi Judi

There was a thread on here about this. I informed my pharmacist (live in a village and have a great relationship with him)who acquired as much as he could for me. I then had to see my GP who refused to prescribe it for me, so I changed GPs and now have a huge prescription! I was the one whom informed my onc as well, he had no idea they were stopping.

I think you are still able to get it until the end of the year (so be quick!) and you may have to shop around pharmacies to find one with some left.

Our healthcarers should have been the ones telling us it was coming to an end (still don’t know why it is) so we could make arrangements.

Good luck in your search for more.

Kinden
x

You probably already know about it, but Soltamox (the liquid form of Tamoxifen) could be an option. I’ve been taking it since September 2007, and have tolerated it very well. The only side effects I have had are the odd hot flush. Hope this helps x