Nordic walking anyone??

Having bone mets and being lazy but thinking I need a bit of exercise, I had a go at Nordic walking today and very much enjoyed it. Am going back for a 2 hour class to get all the techniques next week and then plan to get my own poles and walk along the promenade by my home each day…I may be a bit fanciful at the mo but we’ll see.

I am waiting for a second mx (at my request to balance me up) and the pre-op assessment found high blood pressure which is still being sorted out. Thought this form of exercise may be good for that, plus bones and getting some strength in my whole body. Has anyone else with secondaries tried it and found beneficial results??

Liz

I have been wanting to try, but as my mets are on the hip, I am not too sure. I need to ask my onc, she wasn’t impressed when I told her I was going skiing in a couple weeks…

Liz

Nordic walking is a great idea. Good for your cardiovascular system and also gives you an upper body workout and the poles take the pressure off your knees (by about 30% I think).

Walking along the prom everyday - sounds fab. I’d love to be closer to the sea but where I live in the middle of Middle England, I am about as far away as you can get. Nearest seaside to me is 2 1/2 hours.

Go for it!

Laurie x

I was surprised how ‘gentle’ it was yet still giving muscles/bones etc a workout. It’s supposed to be much easier on knees, hips etc and burns loads more calories than normal walking and power walking. Not to mention improve bone density - the teacher today has loads of people who go and learn after hip replacements. The poles provide the extra stability I suppose. Will report back after next week’s class.

Vercors - why not look on the Nordic Walking UK website for more info and then ask your onc. I found my instructor from their website and any mentioned on there are ‘proper’ ones.

Laurie - I’ve always lived by the sea and couldn’t imagine living inland at all. A few days hols are ok but then I get bit claustrophobic!!!

Liz

Liz,

I am afraid this is one of my 5 minute wonders. Read all about it, bought a book and some mid range poles. Tried it a few times and then really pushed it when at our caravan.

As with any sudden, random burst of exercise, I ended up sore ( especially my arms).

Gave up on it then as I am such a butterfly and so fickle. Maybe its time to dig them out again !!

julie x

Julie - I am determined NOT to give up on this one. The teacher was very good and really enthusiastic (but not OTT) and I’m sure this helped rather than try to teach myself… I really must do something, especially as the zumba only lasted one class!!! Being by the prom will help and you can remind me every Tues night on chat that I must do it. No excuses!! x

Thanks for posting this! Have been trying to get out and walk more but its just not happening, but this has inspired me. Have googled for a class in my area and there is one on Sunday - so booked on and am quite excited, many thanks, nic

Hope you enjoy it Nic! Post letting me know how you find it.

Liz

I will personally ensure that Liz does not give up on this one!!! AND she is going to teach me how to do it too! Not sure if I have told her that yet though!!! LOL

Sue

I have been recommended to try this by a friend- but she doesn’t have BC and she hasn’t had both of her shoulders ‘re-lined’ for arthritis!

Does anyone know if Nordic walking is beneficial for people with arthritic shoulders ? I still get pain in my upper arms quite often - eg when I go on long walks and my arms ‘hang down’ so I wonder if this type of exercise might actually make matters worse.

There doesn’t seem to be anyone in my area (East Mids) who teaches it so I would really like some more info before I take it any further.

Can anyone advise me, please?

Thank you Sue!! Don’t recall you mentioning me teaching you…my fees may be quite high!! xx

Topsy - not sure if I am supposed to quote websites on here but I found my info on the official website for UK - nordicwalking.co.uk and there is a section in that where you can locate your nearest instructor. As far as I am aware, it’s a great exercise for arthritic anything!

Liz

Well, I am now allegedly competent at Nordic walking. Had a lovely lesson today and walked a long way but it didn’t feel like it.Mind you, I may be crippled tomorrow!!!

Normally if I walk the distance I did today, my hip and lower back would be aching while I was walking - not a thing today. One lady had a pedometer on and did 8000 steps!!! We all did the same so I’m rather impressed. The arm swinging helps the lymphoedema and after my mx in (hopefully) a couple of weeks time, I will be able to use it as a gentle means of recovery.

When I came home, I ordered a pair of poles and am eagerly waiting their arrival so I can get on the prom and try to get fit(-ish). This is going to be my ‘thing’. Deffo.

Liz x

Woohooo Liz,

Great that you’re enjoying it so much. March on into Spring :wink:

Laurie x