Normal blood count is it good?

Hi

just had a blood test to check my iron levels, anemia etc and to be told all is normal and i have a full blood count etc. Is this a good result? considering I have secondaries in my lungs? does this mean that they are still stable? as surely if it had got worse my readings from the blood test would be haywire and i wouldn have a full blood count or would i? does anyone know?

:slight_smile:

FBC or full blood count is the name of the test performed on your blood sample. It checks your iron levels, to see if you are anaemic, also whether you have an infection, and gives a picture of your general health. Great yours is normal.
OC x

hi orange cat

yes its good its normal but does it mean that the cancer is behavin and stable and not causing any problems? ??

x

yes it is good in one sense, but it doesn’t necessarily mean your cancer is stable or getting better. Its better to have normal blood counts but tumor markers will give you a better clue if your cancer is stable or not,

Cathy

hi cathy

just seen your post - i have never had tumour markers they refused to do them even tho i ask !

Hi Zippy

It seems that some oncologists are very keen on doing tumour marker tests and others aren’t. My tumour markers are not routinely taken…neither of the places I have been tretaed uses them as a matter of course, and anyway mine are not reliable (normal when I have active cancer). My oncologist prefers scans and clincial examination (my tumours are in my neck and chest so can easily be felt.)

best wishes

Jane

As Jane has said, I think the only thing that can give you an accurate indication of the stability of the cancer in your lungs/breast are scans and clinical examination. It’s clearly good to have a normal blood count, but I’m not sure this can give you clear idea of the stability of your cancer.

Hi Zippy
I have always been confused about blood counts and ‘tumour markers’.
My blood counts have always been quite normal (except when on chemo and towards the end of the 6 treatment cycle they tend to drop).
Since I have had secondaries my Oncs. are looking for tumour markers every so often, but all appears normal. This is despite the fact that the cancer is spreading quite quickly (well, I think it is quite quick but that could be another thread altogether - the relative speed of progression and what that infers).

So, I suppose what I am trying to say is that blood counts and, in particular tumour markers, are far from reliable. I think my onc. is not going to bother with them anymore.

And I have virtually self-diagnosed each stage of this cancer (including the original breast cancer when the medics reassured me that you don’t get pain with breast cancer)as I always get pain and this is reflected exactly in each scan I have. Lucky really.

Ena x

Hi ena

thanks - yes i think i was just hoping that normal meant good news but see not necessarily!!! thanks to everyon els too for replies! altho i feel well in myself now anyway so not so worried about anythin in particular think just had a few ups and downs sincechristmas and finally my weight is goin back up - hoorah!!! :slight_smile: so good all round.

sorry to hear ena that your c is progressin quickly, hope somethin soon stops it in its tracks!!! i too have self diagnosed myself everytime from pain!!! being told the same that cancer doesn hurt!! yes it can do!!!good luck with your continuin treatment xx

xx