Not Sure Whats Going On!!!

Posted on behalf on new user Paula
Hi my names Paula and I noticed my right breast didn’t look right about 4/5 weeks ago (my nipple was starting to invert) went to my GP who had a look and told me to come back in 2 weeks . When I went back she said she would refer me to the breast clinic . I am lucky as my mum works for the NHS so when after a week went by I hadn’t heard anything she told me to ring my GP back which I did and she told me she had sent the letter and I would just have to wait ! Nearly a week after that my mum found out from the guys who do the appointments that they hadn’t received any letter from my GP so they gave her a fax number and told her to get me to call the surgery and get them to fax it straight away ,I did that and got an appointment that day !!! When I got to the breast clinic I saw a consultant who examined me and felt a swelling , I then had a mammogram and scan then into another room for an ultrasound and puncture biopsy . Thought that would be the end of it till results of the biopsy but when I saw the consultant before I left she had a Macmillan nurse with her and told me it was cancer !!! To say my world fell apart is an understatement ,didn’t even know you could be diagnosed without biopsy results . I’ve now got to go back in a week to get the biopsy results ,at this point I am in limbo as I don’t know what I’m up against . Terrified , tearful and can’t stop thinking bad thoughts . Any input would be gratefully received …lots of love and thoughts to you all xxxx

Hello Paula

Welcome to the forums. I’m sorry to hear of your diagnosis, the first few weeks are always difficult when coming to terms with your diagnosis and treatment.
As well as the support you will receive on the forums you might find it helpful to order the BCC resources pack. It has been specifically designed for those newly diagnosed and contains information to help you understand your diagnosis, test results and the various treatments available. If you would like to order a copy just follow the link bellow:-

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/resource-pack-primary-early-breast-cancer-bcc145

You may also like to talk things through with one of the helpline staff, they are there to offer emotional support as well as provide information. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and lines are open 9-5 Monday to Friday and 10-2 Saturday.

Best wishes

June, moderator

Oh bless you Paula. I’m so sorry you’ve found yourself with that diagnosis. I’m newly diagnosed myself so I know exactly what you mean about your world falling apart. What I would say is use this website to read up on information and use the forums to vent/ask questions, etc. as everyone is extremely supportive and we’ve all been there. DO NOT use google!!
I had a mammogram, ultrasound and biopsy on 13th Feb and had to wait a week for the results. As soon as my consultant came into the room with the breast care nurse my heart sank - I must have looked like a rabbit in headlights and couldn’t really take in much of what he said. Good job my husband was with me. Yesterday I had my MRI scan with contrast to show exactly what we’re up against. Now waiting again for results of that and for them to tell me what the plan is. Hoping to get away with lumpectomy but will probably have to have chemo becuase I’m a ‘younger’ woman.
I’ve been up and down so far - telling people has been difficult because you have to repeat the story over and over so I would recommend telling a few close friends and asking them to share the info with others as appropriate. I have found that reading up on different types of cancer and treatments has helped me come to terms with it a little more, and I’ve also found that work has been good as a distraction!
Take care of yourself, surround yourself with loved ones and good friends, and don’t be afraid to ask for support xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi there, Thank-you for your support, I’m only 44 so I guess the as s classes as a younger women ! I’m gonna be as positive as I can and fight this all the way more my children than anything!!! Just found out my appointments next Wednesday at 3.45 so my countdown begins. Hope you OK and I’m here if you need me xxx

A big hug to you Paula, no consolation I know, but you are not alone. I was diagnosed in Jan like you had mammogram ultrasound and biopsy with the results a few hours later. What they was able to tell me was the outer layer showed abnormal cells and had my full results back a week later to what type of cancer it was. I didn’t know there were several types of breast cancer. I agree with the post from Cornetbabe and really don’t bother with google it worried me more unnecessarily but make full use of this site and read a couple of the other forum chats there are some really useful tips etc. Lastly don’t bottle up any feelings, if you feel you can’t rant and rave but need to then I fully recommend doing it on here xx

hi paula my name is donna,just like u i went on wed had a mammogram and ultrasound and biopsy,then went in and was told i had a breast cancer,i really never expected to be told anything right away,i go back next wed for biopsy results,the consultant only told me that i would be in very soon for an op but he would discuss everything with me next week x

Hi Donna , isn’t it just the worst place to be ? Don’t know about you but I feel like I’m gonna get the worst news ever ! Is that normal ? Then I start wondering if other ailments I’ve had have anything to do with it …has it spread ??? Ahhhhhhhhh don’t you just wanna scream :frowning: stay in touch and let me know how you get on , we WILL beat this horrible disease ,positive energy and good vides all round !!! We’re not on our own , lots of love and hugs Paula xxxx

Hi girls
I must say I’m feeling really up and down at the moment - all this waiting is really getting to me now. Don’t know when my appt will be. Like you, Paula, I am expecting the worst - every ache and pain I get is bound to be some sort of secondary cancer. Had a bit of a meltdown whilst out today but a lovely friend of mine had some wise words. She said ‘why waste precious energy on worrying about what ifs’. She said to visualise putting all your worst worries (about things you don’t know) into a filing cabinet and shutting the drawer. Only get out the ones you need at one time and leave the others locked away.
Interesting way of looking at it I thought. I’ll certainly try it. Difficult to talk to my husband about exactly how I’m feeling because he’s already scared about the future. Also feeling like I’m talking about it all the time and I don’t want to - I just want to go back to my normal life :frowning: Feeling like life’s really unfair at the moment!
xxxxxxxxxxx

I have to be honest it really helps hearing from all you amazing ladies and it also means I’m not on Facebook so much lol I also feel like it’s consuming my life!!! I wish someone would pop up on here and tell us we’re all gonna be OK!! The strange thing is I don’t smoke, don’t drink that often and I work full time as an aerobics instructor…thought I was invincible!!! Always had a dodgy back and bad knees but That’s just part and parcel of my job. It really opens your eyes and if I come out of this with full health I will use my job and my time to raise money and awareness of this horrid disease which none of us should have to go through xxxxxxxx

Results tomorrow and I’m feeling really anxious, I have spoken to friends who all know someone That’s had bc and it’s been good news for them!!! Now I am trying to be positive but I keep thinking that surely the law of averages will means mine will be bad news ahhhhhhhh I’m frightened I’ll go tomorrow and be told I have the full works and they can’t help me… is this normal??? Lots of love xxxxxx