Not a happy new year here! Looking for support

Hi there, very sad to be here after being diagnosed yesterday. I found a lump on Dec 27, had biopsies last week and just diagnosed. I lost my mum to breast cancer so am aware of the roller coster all too well and I’m terrified… Not just for me but mostly for my 18 months old girl. Awaiting further tests (MRI) to check if spread… The mammogram showed up nothing as I’m breastfeeding. The current plan is surgery in two weeks then chemo and radiotherapy. I have to stop breast feeding immediately which is so sad. I’m on my own and terrified hoe I’m going to cope physically and mentally whilst protecting my girl as much as possible and keeping everything as normal as I can… Her world is going to change so
Much and I want to be upbeat and support her through that but I’m worried I won’t have the strength! Anyone else with young kids/single etc or newly diagnosed going through similar or can share any advice I’d be so grateful! Thanks, Lucy x

Hi Lucy, I’m so sorry you’ve had to join us.  It is incredibly hard waiting for tests, scans and results, but I know you will find lots of support and information on here.  I’m in my 50s, but there is a board specifically for younger women here: 

forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Younger-women-and-families/bd-p/4449.  

Keep posting, lovely, you can say anything on here and we’ll do our best to keep you going.

Hugs, tat xx

I am 49 and was diagnosed in September. Had two ops and I am waiting to start chemo. I have been through a lot but have coped. If you had asked me if I could go through all this and cope I would never have believed it! My children are grown up, but I wanted to reassure you as I have a close friend who was diagnosed in her early thirties while she was breast feeding her younger son. Eighteen years later she us fit and well and her son is a well adjusted adult at university! Reach out for support from family and friends and  use this forum to express your feelings. It really helps. Love and hugs Claire 

Hi Lucy, I’m 29 with a 2 year old son & I’m on my own. I was diagnosed 17/12 biopsy results 24/12. I go in Tuesday to have right mastectomy followed by chemo, radio & then at least 5 years of tabs.
I have grade 2 invasive & I feel like it’s spreading so Tuesday can’t come quick enough.
It still hasn’t hit me properly & I think I’m still a bit in denial. I don’t think I fully understand exactly what’s happening, I’ve not even thought of the worst outcome I just keep thinking once the ops done & everything else starts at least the cancers gone so I’ve not thought past that!
My family have been great & so has my son’s dad to the point we’re thinking of him moving in for a while as my son has additional needs so needs constant attention etc.
Sending love & support to you & your baby
Paula xx

Hi Lucy, I found this link the other day while looking up something else. (I’m 52, feel young - but not really!!) I think it’s different to the one tat4tit has given you, try it anyway
m.facebook.com/YoungerBreastCancerNetwork?ref=bookmarks
Or google younger breast cancer network
You will probably surprise yourself as to how much strength you actually have to get through this - I certainly have! The worst part seemed to be the waiting for test results, operations, further treatments etc but once you’re in the rollercoaster you just somehow get through it.
Wishing you all the very best, you can do this! We’re all here to support you every step of the way :slight_smile: xxx

Hi Lucy,

Sooo totally understand your fears, I am 46 but don’t have children but I got my diagnosis on 18/12 and a total punch in the gut it was, it was as if I was in an episode of Eastenders or something like that. Waiting for those biopsy and other results is the most incredibly sh***y time ever, the mind racing, thinking the worst, worrying about coping (as you have mentioned). However once the dates are in the diary it sort of just gives you those milestones to get through rather than thinking of the entire course of treatment all at once. The most important thing is to ask for help wherever and whenever you need it. Friends, neighbours etc or ask for help via your GP or your BC nurse, don’t hold back at all. Take all help which is offered especially with respect to your little girl, it’s not about being brave or looking like a hero, it’s about being realistic about asking for help when you are feeling the strain of treatment. Keep posting here, call the helpline if you need to talk. There are so many people from all walks of life who have so much to offer!

Masses of hugs to you and your little girl 

Ali xxx

Thanks so much for you lovely comments and support. It is time to swallow pride I know! Emotions today have been all over the place and just trying to organise the next few weeks a bit of a nightmare… Once I have my ducks in line hopefully things will Sen cleaner but s but of a blur for now! X

Dear Lucy. I found a lump on 8th december and been diagnosed on 30th. Just a week ago. It went all so quick. I am 28 years of age. And I have a 2 year old daughter. I am terrified too. I had all my tests, bone scan, MRI, full body CT, and had my first appointment with the oncologist yesterday afternoon. Was sitting in the waiting room with my partner and seen people coming out devastated, broken down, and I said I will not come out like that. There is no way I will leave my daughter behind. I am strong enough to go through this. And too young to leave this world. I was saying to myself withouth break: everything is gonna be fine. It’s fine. It’s ok. It’s all gonna be just fine. I’ll be fine. And I really am positive. You have to be. That is the key to get through with this nasty thing. And I came out crying… from happiness. My cancer did not spread. I am in early stage. And will have surgery within 10 days. Then chemo. Believe that you will be fine. And you will be!!! I am here. We can help each other. Please don’t hesitate to contact me. My heart goes out to you. Kisses and hugs
Brigitta

Hi Gail259

Thank you for your words earlier. My anxiety is just so bad that I can seem to cope. Haven t slept in 48 hrs and just dreading tonight again as know what state I ll be in. The forum though does help in a way as you know you really not alone. I ve got Mri Tuesday too but they did say may not be able to do as large breasts. Follow up Friday for pre op for week Tuesday . I know my diagnosis of DCIS they say is not life threatening but I always think what if… I m going to join the night time group to be able to cope in night x

Hi Gail259

How are you feeling today? I m still in complete state of anxiety and don t know how to go on x