Not coping well with waiting!

Hi. I feel a bit of a fraud as I still haven’t had my referral appointment. I found a mobile lump on my left breast a few days ago and got a Drs appointment that day. It was fairly odd…as soon as I said what the matter was he instantly said he would make a referral to the breast clinic - without looking/ feeling the lump. He started filling in the form and asked me to show him where it was " without taking anything off"! I pulled my top and bra down a bit to touch the lump and then he did feel it with one hand for a couple of seconds. He said he felt about the size of a baby tomatoe and 'cystish"

this is morning I realised he hadn’t checked my contact details so rang the clinic myself who said no phone number had come through with the referral . They said I’d get an appointment within two weeks.

i know I’m being silly about this - it’s probably just a lump but I’m getting really worried. I’ve not told my husband because I can’t see the point in both of us worrying. Any advice would be gratefully taken

Not silly at all, Jan, it’s quite normal to have some anxiety when referred, as inevitably the mind goes into overdrive a bit.
It’s normal practice to be referred to the breast clinic for any breast change & it’s right your dr has done so as only the clinic can get to the bottom of it.
Mostly there is a benign reason for the breast change & bc is the least likely reason for it.
Is it an idea to share this with your husband? as he might sense of you’re feeling anxious anyway & it can feel better to do so.
Chances are all will be well anyway, it usually is.
ann x

JanA

I echo completely what ann has said. 

Yep we all know that “google” experience and it scares the * out of us, there is sooo much out of date and misinformation out there.

Let us know how you get on and we are always here for you

Helena xx

Thanks for your comments, Jan.
Glad you’ve discovered the google problem! It’s a wonderful thing, but any search on breast symptoms will lead to bc, when most often its not, so creating a load of unnecessary extra anxiety which changes nothing.
It helps to carry on as normal whilst waiting & to try & park it until the appointment.
It’s also quite usual to think it’s grown, but it hasn’t, it’s just the anxiety monster & the constant prodding we start doing!
From my own experience, I much preferred to share everything with my husband, it’s natural to feel we want to protect others, but it helps to share the wait too.
Do let is know how you get on.
ann x

Hi janA just wondering how you are doing?

I’m in the same boat as you I found a lump that the doctor described as mobile too. I’m struggling with the wait now that the day is nearly here.

My appointment for the clinic is tomorow. And although I’m sure there will be nothing to worry about I’m a bit anxious about it now. 

Have  you got your appointment date through yet? Hope you are well enough? It’s not a great thing to be having to go through.

Tracky