7 REPLIES 7
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: Not got clear margin another lumpectomy needed anybody same experience

Not to worry it was much easier second time for me 🙂

samjs

Hi Chillipink,
I hada 2nd WLe yesterday as clear margins weren't obtained the first time. They actually found a satalite area which they didn't know about prior to my 1st surgury hence the 2nd surgery. I have to say I feel really well unlike the first time when I had the SNB at the same time. Good luck xx
Katykookabura

Hi Chillipink, same for me had two ops to get a wide margin . Tumour was 35 mm grade 3 but had not spread into nodes. When I was told I was relieved no spread but then worried further surgery needed. When I read my path lab report it explains How they sliced the specimen and still found cancer cells. Had two path reports eventually all explained on them. You just phone the Consultant's secretary and ask for it. I think it is best to know exactly what is going on so you know what you have to deal with.Obviously it puts the rad treatment back a few weeks which did worry me but at least second time they got it all out. When I went into hospital again there was two other women same as me so it seems a common thing. Take care Katy.
chillipink

Thank you ladies for your post it's clarified a few things and given me confidence .apparently it can be common to have more than one wle at least I know now I was thinking the worst and thed cut into another lump they didn't know about but from posts I've received it's not the case .here's to 25th and when surgeon reexcises she gets a clear margin.thank once again
Lola65

Hi Chillipink,

I had a 15mm IDC grade 3 lump with some high grade DCIS mixed in with it. I had a WLE and SNB and although there was a clear margin all round the invasive the DCIS extended into this margin. I then had a Cavity Shave to obtain wider margins, and this was successful. There are national guidelines on how wide the margins need to be and your surgeon must be confident she can get these margins or she would not be doing it. She would go straight for a mx. There is nothing sinister about it!

Initially I was worried that not all the DCIS was out, but have been assured by my oncologist that it is unlikely, but if there are still some cells lingering they are going nowhere (DCIS stays in situ and is not invasive) and will be zapped to death by radiotherapy.
stressy_messy

Hi chillipink sorry you have to have another op. When they operate they need to get a margin of clear tissue around the tumour (can't remember how big the margin has to be) quite often this isn't achieved so they have to take a bit more tissue. It doesn't mean they have cut into another tumour. Hope this helps and good luck with your treatment Melxx 🙂

Zuleika

Hi Chillipink, sorry hear that you are having a nightmare, especially as you gear yourself up for radiotherapy. I'm similar to you, with DCIS and IDC. I had WLE and SNB, but the DCIS is still in there. As I have small breasts, I need a mx, which is not what I hoped for, but sort of expected. it feels like I'm in limbo until after the next op. it's very frustrating, isn't it ? My only advice is, to have faith in your surgical team, talk to your BCN and use the time to focus on getting yourself physically and mentally ready for next op. focus on the positives, which means that after this op, and radiotherapy, there is a very high chance that the DCIS will be completely gone.
best wishes
Zuleika
chillipink

Not got clear margin another lumpectomy needed anybody same experience

Hi had 6.5 mm lump and 10 mm lump along with dcis in the middle removed 3weeks ago.just been told one side is not a clear margin so another lumpectomy needed in 2 weeks..have any of you ladies experience of this .does this mean when my surgeon is doin a shaving around the lumps for clear tissue she has cut into another lump which the mammogram hasnt picked up on or could it be she needs to cut slightly wider.I'm at my wits end.apparently an mx isn't needed. Lumps are stage 1 and 2 and grade 1 and 2 and are er and pr+ and her2- I thought I'd be starting radiotherapy this week but have to have 2nd lumpectomy.advice would be very grateful