Not living in the UK

I just wondered how many of us do not live in the UK. I live in Switzerland. I came for a year in 1976 and stayed. I love it, but it is during these difficult times that I really miss my family. It is so frustrating not to beable to pop over to my parents or my brother for a coffee and a chat. Easyjet is great, but I only get back a couple of times a year. At the moment I am waiting to find out if I need chemo, I had a mastectomy on the 8th April.
Maria
PS the photo is the view from my chalet in winter.

Hi Maria. I live in Oman, although I have had a lot of my treatment in the UK. We have a lovely life out here, but do feel the distance from family and friends in the UK. I was diagnosed in June 2008, and had chemo, mastectomy and rads then a year of tamoxifen. I’ve had a reconstruction, and now have zometa injections here in Oman, and take Femara. I’m very happy with the medical teams both here and in the UK, and feel in many ways that I have the best of both worlds. We’ve been here for nearly 6 years, and had 6 years in Africa prior to that.
J x
p.s. my photo was taken on our patio, with pre-chemo hair!

Hi Maria,

I am from China and came to the UK in 2000 and is still here… not sure for how long though because working visa running out in Nov.

If I want to go and visit family and friends, it’s not just a short “pop over”, it’s going to be a “long track”. At the mo, have dad with me, so that does help a bit.

Was dx in June last year, bone mets & primary, then liver mets a few weeks ago… absolutely devastating for all my family and friends… Not sure whether to stay in the UK to take advantage of the medical care here (I’m with BUPA, a private medical insurance company, which is provided by work) OR go home to be closer to them and put more financial burdens on the family (I’m single and the only child)… A really tough decision… but I might not have a choice by Nov.

Lovely view by the way, really like the photo.

Take care xx

Hi J
It’s greener than I imagined where you are ! Looks good. Where were you in Africa ?
Did you have your treatment in the UK ? I am glad you are happy with what you had, and that the worst is over for you. I had all my treatment here in Switzerland (in 2003 and now), last time around I didn’t use internet, but now I can see I am getting the same sort of treatment as UK (see my profile) although the waiting times are sometimes shorter here.

Hi m1yu
Goodness you are a long way from home. I am so sorry you are having a hard time of it, my thoughts are with you. I hope you don’t mind me asking, but they do say those from China don’t get BC very often, due to live style and diet, what do you think ?

Take care both of you, love Maria

Hi ladies. When I had my primary diagnosis I was living in Sicily. Had just arrived for a new job and had only been there a matter of months before I found out the bad news. I elected to stay there and, for me, it seemed the right decision. With hindsight, however, I could have benefitted from being closer to friends and family.

For personal reasons I decided to come home in November this year, after 4 years of living abroad. Two months later I found out that I had secondary BC. The wheel of fortune certainly turned for me. I guess whether to stay living where you feel happy or return to be closer to loved ones is a decision only you can make. I’m glad I’m home now because I certainly need much more support than before.

Love
Alison

My wife and I are both living in foreign countries. I’m a Brit and my wife is from the Republic of Georgia (NOT the USA!), and we live in Germany. Since her primary and secondary diagnosis in October 2009 her care has been very good, but she first went to a non-hospital gynacologist (with whom I share a passport) in September 2007, who did NOTHING of any use whatsoever up to the point when we changed doctors in July 2010, by which time it was too late.

Hi Maria,

Of course I don’t mind you asking. Unfortunately, from what I’ve heard, cancer (not just BC) is on the raise… and obesity as well!!! The media blame it on the so called “American dream”.

I’ve managed to hold on to some Chinese life style etc, but because I’ve been here for nearly 10 years now, I’m becoming very westonize! Feels more British than Chinese sometimes! Still loves Chinese food, thou and used to cook lots of Chinese food at home (now my dad cooks them and he’s a better cook than me!). So not sure the life style and diet argument really counts… or maybe as my onc said, I’m just “unlucky” to get it, esp at a young age.

No smoking, no drinking, no family history for me either, all the risk factors don’t apply to me, just a bit lazy if anything, so still very puzzled why on earth I’ve got it. Anyway, enough rambling… even the experts don’t know why.

Hi Maria,
It is obviously very difficult for you being away from your parents and brother, as you say ‘just to pop in and have a coffee’ but obviously your ‘heart’ is in Switzerland, and of course all you memories, as well as your sons. Your view is stunning, and l am sure you get a great deal of pleasure from it.

Enough said…so l thought this ‘bump’ would bring a few more non uk residents to your site.

Hope Monday is kind to you!!

Love
Sandra x

Hi Tawny,
I think it was very brave of you to stay in Italy. Do you speak Italian? Did you have your treatment there ? Were you happy with it?
I am sorry things are not great for you now, but at least you are now back home.

Hi m1yu, So you have lived the “American dream”. That is so sad. I’m glad your Dad is with you, cooking you good home cooking.

Hi CharlieRay. It must be difficult both of you having different homes. At least when I go back to UK I can see my family and my husband’s family. I am glad the care is good now, would it have been better in Georgia ? Do you get back to UK or Georgia much ?

I have spent most of my adult life in Switzlerland and speak the lingo, so it was no big deal being away from the UK, but it is the family thing that is the most difficult, especially as I lost my husband last year. But my friends and collegues are rallying round.
All the best to everyone and their families
Love Maria

Hi, I’m back home now, having got my diagnosis when I came home for Christmas from Hungary. After 5 years of living there it was really hard to give up, so suddenly, what had come to feel like home, but without being able to continue working, there wasn’t really the option of staying abroad for me.

Although my family here have been absolutely great, I’ve really missed my friends out there. When your heart is in two countries I guess it’s a difficult decision wherever you choose to stay. However, the internet has been a lifesaver, I’m not sure how I’d have coped without it!

Hi Ladies

I live in France, have been here for 7 years now although still don’t speak the language as well as I would like.

I was dx in June 2008, and have had all my chemo, operations radiotherapy and herceptin here but it wasn’t easy, fortunately my husband took some time off work on compassionate grounds (he works for an English company so works away for 2 weeks at a time) so he was able to be here with me during all the treatment, I don’t think I could have got through it otherwise.

I am having reconstruction this year starting with reduction on the good side this month.

I don’t consider France to be “home”, even though being here for so long, I miss seeing 2 of my children (the youngest is here with us) and our only grandaughter so I think one day we will venture back to blighty.

P xx

Hi ladies . I´m living in Andalucia ,not on the coast , but up in the mountains . There is quite an expat community but thankfully the village is still typically spanish ,the views from our terrace are extremely beautiful but I have no idea how to get photos from A to B.
I was dx last november and have had all my treatment here . Lumpectomy followed by 25 rads ,should be taking letrozole , but thats another story !
Cannot fault the treatment and have managed most of the time quite well with the language . Missed not having a breast cancer nurse to talk over certain things with .Also , there are various haven´s and drop in centres back in the Uk , so even withoout family you would´nt have to face this alone .
We´ve been away from the Uk for over 15 years and lived first in Saudi Arabia and then in France . I have an excellent and very supportive group of girl friends here who i would miss dreadfully were I to move .
I do miss my two sons ,but I would´nt be telling them much about my treatment anyway , perhaps it would be different with daughters , I know i talk more to my daughter-in-law than the boys . I have no other family , both my parents died of different cancers many years ago .
Just lately in this area , so many people seem to be getting cancer . I suppose because it´s basically an"older " area ie lots of people in their late 40´s onwards .Three other ladies in this very small place have been dx since November with BC , plus at least four others I know ,men and women with other types of cancer . As i say , it must be the age .

Oh - I’ve just found this thread and would love to join in as I am also not in the UK.

I have been living and working in Asia since June 2000 (in Nepal, Mongolia, India, Sri Lanka and now Myanmar/Burma). I was evacuated to Bangkok, Thailand for diagnosis when I found the lump. I have had all my treatment in Bangkok (mastectomy, 8 chemo sessions and now radiation) and the standards are first class. My hubby has been with me throughout, and we travelled between Yangon and Bangkok when it ws possible for the chemo sessions.

The most difficult thing has been family - i have not been able to travel (and the treatment schedule has not permitted) so that has been really tough.

When this happens it throws everything into uncertainty - I have no idea what we will do if the chemo etc hasn’t worked…

It is so good to hear of your experiences, and warm wishes and hugs from bangkok
P

Hello everyone,

I am in a slightly different position as I had bc in 2004 and a local recurrence in 08. I’m not having any treatment now (only arimidex). My OH has a job interview next week in Jersey and if he got it it would mean a move. Does anyone know how I would stand regarding health insurance and if i did need any treatment would i be better to come back here (my gut instinct tells me that it would be better to keep with the hospital here and come back for check ups etc too, but I just wondered if anyone had any knowledge on my position. Of course, he may not get the job butyou never know - and if he did it might be too good a chance to miss.

Thanks
Mo

deleted

Hi Everyone, This is interesting, bring up all sorts of different subjects, and giving me other things to think about.

Szecsu, I am sorry you had to leave Hungary, where you were obviosly happy.

Peacock, How did you cope doing it all in French ?

Jackwagstaff, I’m glad you are happy with your treatment, shame you cannot show us any photos of where you live.

Feistybluegecko, Wow how exotic, what line of work are you in ? What language do you use ?

Mo, sorry I don’t know anything about Jersey, but it is still the UK, isn’t it ?

Msmolly, I am coverd by swiss health insurance. They pay for all the treatment, but do send me copies of the bills they pay. They are not allowed to exclude anyone even with bad health history, so no worries here.

Love to you all where ever you are.

Hello all, like Marial I have great admiration for everyone livig abroad and dealing with bc. Msmolly, thanks for your support and info on the other thread too, I remember that jersey no longer has the reciprocal health agreement which I think makes my life complicated if my OH does get the opportunitiy to move. I’m not the person in Oman - I live and work in the UK, but my OH may soon be offered a Jersey based position which would be great for him - but possibly not so great for me because of bc. The annoying thing is I would really love to move - and so would he - but I think that the cost and the uncertainty may stop this happening unfortunately. Jersey is not actually part of the UK - it has its own laws and no NHS!

Good luck to all, Mo

Hi Mo
The job will probably come with health insurance, for your OH and the family. Just trying to cheer you up !! Didn’t know it had no NHS. I have a friend there, I’ll ask her what she does.
Love Maria

just bumping up incase there is anyone else who would like to join us, not living in UK
Maria

I’m the reverse to you guys…I’m from France leaving in the UK and treated in the UK for IDC grade 3 triple neg.
Peacock if you need some help with your French let me know…and also with the french health system which is great but can be complicated…
Love to all of you abroad