Not me anymore

Hello, hope I am doing this right. Was told on 27thOctober I had breast cancer. Have a date for 28thNovember to remove lump and sentinel lymph node &one other. Then four weeks radiotherapy and Tamoxifen for five years. I have been fit and healthy all my life and don’t seem to be able to get my head round it all. The worst thing is my terrible phobia of needles, blood and hospitals. This sounds so pathetic after reading so many stories of such fantastic women and the terrible things they have all gone through. Every time I think of my date I feel sick with nerves and fear. Would really welcome any advise on how to try and deal with this. Feel really guilty feeling like this as compared to others it all sounds so feeble.

Hi Pentewan

So sorry you find yourself joining us but welcome and heres a ((hug))

You will get lots of support and info here so keep posting and no question is a silly question. Dont google lots of scarey inaccurate info out there.

Do NOT feel guilty about your feelings, you will go through so many emotions and all is normal.

I too have had a fear of needles for a long time and at the beginning was terrified am quite squemish but you will be surprised how you will adapt to it (i still cant watch but can tolerate a lot more now) also you will be put at ease and handled very gently so please try not to worry too much, do tell the nurses you are a bit anxious about the needles.

I had a lumpectomy and sentinal lymph nodes and it was nowhere near as bad as i thought it would be, i had no pain just a bit uncomfortable at times whilst recovering.

Take care of yourself, thinking of you
Clare x

Hi Pentewan and welcome to the BCC forums

You may find our newly diagnosed resource pack helpful over the coming months, you can access it via the following link:

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/resource-pack-primary-early-breast-cancer-bcc145

Our helpline team are also here to offer you further support and information and provide a very good listening ear, you can contact the team on 0808 800 6000, weekdays 9-5 and Sat 9-2

Take care
Lucy

Hi Pentewan
If its any consolation we were all apprehensive about many things when diagnosed hon so try to just go along with it all…and stay positive!!!
Your fears are normal because your human and BC comes along and challenges everything we take for granted,
My diagnosis last Nov was pretty much the same as yours and after quietly (tho not Always) s*****G myself pre op I could,nt believe how quick it went and how quickly I was back on my feet. I had a month off then started a month of R/therapy, Now it seems like a million miles away and i,m not even a year down the line, Your fear of hospitals/needles should be talked over with the BC nurses as Clare said they are a brilliant set of people and will take into account how you feel.
I,m a Nurse myself and absolutely hated the thought of being a patient but it really was,nt too bad hon,
Another bit of wise advice was to not trawl the sites on BC as Clare said they are full of mis-information and can scare the C**p out of normal lay persons, this is a brilliant organization to log onto when your feelings get the better off you and the amount of solid info from other Ladies is second to none!Cos like you sweetheart were in it together and the support and humour is amazing.
You,ll be in my thoughts and hugs are winging there way to you… xxxhugxxx

Hi Doz, hope that’s right, wasn’t sure what to put !! Thank you for your reply, it really helped. Have to admit I have read some very frightening things on the Internet . I soon packed that in. Would you believe I even went onto YouTube and typed in Sentinel node biopsy thinking if I found out what the operation entailed I wouldn’t be so scared. Couldn’t watch it in the end. How many lymph nodes did you have removed. Are you on Tamoxifen as well, would love to know what your experience of it has been like. Hope you continue to recover. Take care,big hug xx

Hi Pentewan
In the beginning we all trawl sites trying to look for things that take away the enormity of it all… and I was no different I really did scare myself rigid. Its so hard to come to terms with but the sites that offer info are only generalising so it is far better to not go on them, I know you will be apprehensive but try to remember that each BC is different and unique to the individual.
Bless you its a real scary time but honestly hon the op you are going to have really is,nt too bad I had a lumpectomy and sentinel node removal my BC was described as Unifocal lower inner pole breast cancer… Sentinel nodes were removed that also included 6 other nodes in total ALL CLEAR :slight_smile: I came round really quickly and was sat up talking to my sister and daughter an hour later, if it had,nt been 5.00pm when i,d had my op I could have gone home 4 hrs after but cos it would have taken it past 8.00pm I was kept in, only a formality as no.one was discharged after 8.
So perhaps that will ease your mind, Apart from being a little bit sore I really was fine, I,m now on Letrozole as I am post menopausal for 5 yrs…A few silly side effects but nothing serious enough to want to stop them, The R/therapy again affects everyone differently, I sailed through it although towards the end was quite tired but thats the body telling you to chill :slight_smile: and having had to go each morning at 8.30am for 25 days is enough to wear anyone down!!!
I,m due my first yr check up on 24th Nov so its a bit of a wierd time having been given the all clear it still makes you feel a bit
apprehensive, but as I said earlier we are only human so we just have to be kond to ourselves and just go with the flow :slight_smile:
This is an amazing site with so many different topics hon try chatting to some of the girls that are at the same stage as you, you will be surprised to see how many feel the same… I am chatting with girls who have Been there and done it and all our experiences are so similar :slight_smile: it does help and the BC helpline is amazing…
I know its hard but try not to worry sweetheart and i,m always here to bounce things off as are all the girls who found themselves on her…
Thanks for your good wishes and ditto returned with a hug ((HUG))
keep me informed and remember your not alone on here xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxhugsxxxxxxxxxxxxx Doz
I,m due my

Ha ha ignore the last i.m due my…
its early morning and the computer has gremlins :slight_smile:

Hi there I am new to the site but in the same position as you. I have the same surgery on the 10th. November and just like you I feel sick at the thought of it. I have a hospital phobia too. but I keep telling myself that this time next week it will all be over. Using this site assures you that you are not alone and it helps to know that others are thinking of you. Hope it all goes well and I will let you know how I handle it. Lots of love and hugs. Miss Brahms

Hi there ladies

I just want to assure you that you will be fine. I am the world’s worst “white coat syndrome” person you can imagine. Honestly, you are talking to the woman who cried all night on the ward and then all the way to the theatre!! When I came round I felt silly as I wasn’t in any pain and was really well looked after throughout.

I was diagnosed 7th Sept with ductal invasive carcinoma, had my op Mastectomy, SNB biopsy and node clearance. I was out of bed the next day pottering about and was soon home. The SNB was just a little scratch near my nipple which honestly didn’t hurt and the rest was done in theatre.

In the beginning it is really scary but keep posting and you will get a lot of information and support on this site. Lots of ladies on here know how you are feeling.

As DOZ says it’s not a walk in the park but all the treatment is doable.

You will be able to do it, as for the needle phobia, do what I do and don’t look!!!

I am about to start my chemo on 14th Nov as 2 of my nodes were affected. I am quite scared but in the long run we need all the treatment to get thse gremlins of ours gone.

One good piece of advice I can give you is don’t google as the info is out of date, stick to Cancercare or McMillan site.

All my very best wishes to you and hope you keep posting M

ladies you definitely aren’t alone, use this site often it really helps especially when you are having a really bad day we all found it really helps. I remember the first time I came on not really expecting an answer I was overwhelmed by the support out there it’s amazing.

Pentewan, don’t google the op just think of it as going into hospital for a good sleep because if you are anything like me I was really ready because hadn’t slept for the 2 days previous to the op. On the day I just thought at least I will sleep then you are really dozy for another 3 days. Tip!take warm socks into hospital they are a must and if you are staying in overnight earplugs!I also took little bottles of water because I was told they would bring water in huge jugs and they did! we aren’t supposed to lift heavy weights are we???
wishing you all the best remember we are all here to help and if we don’t know the answer(I am quite a newbie too) there will be someone out there who can help x

Hi Girls
Just a quickie to tell Miss Brahms all our good wishes go with you on 10th sorry you,ve found yourself on here… but welcome with open arms to you too! Stay positive girls and dont worry too much(if thats possible) you will wonder why you were so scared when its all over there was no bigger wuss than me :slight_smile: the BC nurses are such an amazing lot and are a godsend.
Keep us posted hugs all round Doz xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ditto on everything Doz says. This is a lovely forum for support and mutual understanding. You can voice those little niggles and no matter how much you try to make light of them somebody will pick up on it and give you the emotional hug you need.
We are all wimps as far as pain is concerned, who isn’t? I can honestly say I found a bilateral mastectomy and node clearance very do -able . Only panadol and diclafenic the day after. Chemo is interesting but again the worst problem is the unknown. Yes, we have really down moments and some of us have pain issues but we have each other and those that care for us so we will get there…the big "normality " when all this C… Is over. What we will think of as normality will have changed but all of us here know what we mean.
thinking of you
Cackles xx

Thank you to everyone who took the time to send me such positive messages, It has really made me feel much more positive. Three weeks today for my first stage, the operation. Wish it was sooner as all I want to do now is get it over with. I know now so many people have gone through such terrible times and still come out smiling. What an inspiration you all are. Much love to you all and thanks for being there. Xx

Pentewan three weeks does seem such a long time when you are wanting to get things “done”. It gives you time to sort things out at home so when you get back you can rest. Get lots of puzzle type books because you won’t be able to concentrate. A nightie like a Shirt that opens down the front or pyjamas is better than tee shirt styles which need you to lift you arms up to remove them. Perhaps some bed socks and a special bottle of smellies to make you feel good. Cotton knickers can be worn in theatres nylon can’t. If you are having drains an old bag to carry them in might help.
We will be thinking of you
Big Hug
Cackles xc

Hi Girls
Just a quick note for Miss Brahms I,m sure you wont see it yet but good luck for today my thoughts are with you and i,m sure you,ll be fine hon xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxhugxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Big hug and lots of tlc on its way. Hope to hear from you soon Love Doz xx