Not sure how I feel really

Hi everyone.

Two weeks ago I found a lump in my left breast. I check my breasts regularily since my Grandma had breast cancer followed by a mastectomy.

I saw my GP who has referred me to the breast clinic. I have my appointment next Friday. When I saw my GP I was asked if I was experiencing any pain which at the time I wasn’t. Four days later I developed a chronic burning pain in my breast which now seems to also be affecting my armpit and collar bone. It’s really getting on my nerves!! I am also feeling like a ‘drawing’ sensation in my nipple. The lump itself isn’t painful.

Apart from a mini panic attack when I first found the lump, you know the feeling, when your stomach hits the floor and you go hot and cold all over, I’ve been fine. I am thinking positive and looking forward to getting next Friday out of the way, getting a clean bill of health. But today, for some reason, I have a need to acknowledge whats happening to me and make it ‘public’, as if i share my problem it will help. Maybe it’s because the pain is getting to me right now so at the moment I can’t pretend nothing is going on.

So really, this is a ‘getting it off my chest’ post. The only person I have told in RL is my partner and although he is great, we are both ignoring it together. I don’t really want to talk to him about the pain because I don’t want him to worry.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Thinking of you all xx

Hi MissMae

This must be a very worrying time for you, I’m sure you’ll soon get lots of supportive replies from people who know exactly what you are going through. But you might also find it helpful to read breastcancercare.org.uk/content.php?page_id=70 which explains about changes in the breast and breast awareness.
If you are feeling upset or panicky and want to talk to someone about your worries and concerns then do give our helpline a call. Everyone working on our helpline either has experience of breast cancer, or is a breast care nurse, and has an excellent knowledge of breast cancer issues. They are on 0808 800 6000 and are open Monday - Friday, 9am - 5pm and Saturday, 9am - 2pm.

I hope you find this helpful.

Kind regards

Sam
BCC Facilitator

Hi MissMae

Sorry you have had to join us here, but as Sam has said you will get a ton of support from other people who have been through what you are going through now.

You will undoubtedly experience all kinds of emotions between now and next Friday. That is perfectly normal, as you are already finding. I think you do initially just want to keep it all inside, pretend it isn’t really there - then you reach the point where you have to acknowledge that ‘something’ is there - hopefully, as you say you will get to next Friday and receive a clean bill of health - I sincerely hope so.

In the meantime, if you need to talk or let off steam feel free to come here and do it - there’s always someome to listen.

When I was diagnosed last year I got a ton of support from everyone on here - and it really made the difference to me. No matter how hard family & friends try they understandably cannot imagine what is going through your mind.

Will be thinking of you next Friday - please let us know how you get on

take care

Margaret x

Thank you Margaret, for your kind words.

I feel very tearful and snappy today. I wish I could just shut myself away until I have got Friday out of the way. I really am quite cross with myself too because I am usually such a positive person. In fact, having just typed that, I don’t think it’s not that I’m thinking negative thoughts, I think I’m just feeling scared.

I have been following all of the posts on this site since I saw my GP and I have such admiration for you ladies. Thank you so much for taking time to offer your support to the likes of myself. It means such a lot.

I will definately let you know how I get on on Friday.

Beverley x

Beverley

You are in a scary place at the moment, one minute you are bobbing along quite happily thank you and all of a sudden you find a lump and life goes into a tail spin in a split second. The waiting for appts, results etc is really hard, everyone around you is living their normal life [as far as any of us know anyway] and here you are in “What If Land” trying to function normally at the same time as not knowing what might be about to happen.

It is good to come on here and talk about it cos you don’t want to tell people anything until you know if there is anything to tell. We ladies are always here at all times of the day and night depending on where we live in this big wide world that isn’t so big and wide anymore thanks to the web.

Take care

AJxxx

Sorry to hear that you have found a lump. It’s a very confusing time for you at the moment and your emotions will be all over the place. The waiting for appointments and waiting for test results is a really hard time. I hope you get the all clear at your appointment on friday, however if this is not the case then you can be assured that you will receive loads of support from the ladies on this site.

Thank you so much. You have both described how I feel. All the while trying hard not to think the worst BUT, at the same time making an action plan if it IS bad news. Then feeling guilty for even thinking it could be bad news! My head needs a rest.

Beverley x