Not sure how I feel

Hi, I am newly diagnosed with invasive breast cancer. Had all the tests, biopsies etc, lymph nodes are clear at this time. Discussed all options and am starting zoladex injections monthly and letrosle tablets daily, hope to shrink some of the lump, which I am told is big. With a view to surgery in 9 months time, followed by chemo. Am pleased that there seems no rush for an op, but surprised treatment can wait this long. Should I be pleased as the alternative is mx, which I would like to avoid if at all possible, but means living with the knowledge the cancer is still in me and wondering what it might be doing. Am sooo confused, some days it is like a dream, other days I think it is not happening to me, other days just plain scared.
It is as if all the plans I had for my life are suddenly floating away. And to add insult to injury I took 3 days off after the biops, was so sore I could not move and my work managed to knock off a quarter of my wage as they also took off my hospital appointments.
Anyone else out there on a similar journey, or been through similar, any advice or coping strategy, please let me know.

Dear Loves Poodles

Welcome to the BCC forum. I’m sure other members will soon be along to offer you some support.

You could also give our helpline a call to talk things over. They will be able to offer practical information as well as emotional support. The opening times are 9-5 0n weekdays and 10-2 on Saturdays. The number is 0808 800 6000

Take care

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

Hi Loves Poodles, I was dx in oct and was initially given monthly zoladex injections and Tamoxifen to shrink the tumour and avoid mx. I had my WLE in Feb and they got clear margins so the drugs certainly did the job they were supposed to. I didn’t get too stressed about not gettng the tumour out as I knew after 6 weeks that it was shrinking as they monitored it via scans but I did find it hard not knowing when things were going to happen and feeling like my life was on hold, esp as I was told that would only know about chemo after the op. This is why i had the op as soon as they offered it, i think the woud have preferred to wait a bit longer. Good luck with everything xxx

Thanks Zuzy thats good to hear and glad it worked out for you, I suppose I will feel better after my review on 6 th June when I hope to find out if it has shrunk any. Then it will seem like I am getting somewhere. Just seems so much waiitng and then tests then more waiting.
My own fault though I could have taken the mx route, but I wanted to try other options first.
Hope all is good with you. xx