Not the best outcome, but not the worst either

Went back to the hospital on Tuesday for my results. The good news is that my lymph nodes are clear so no need for chemo, but he bad news is that I need further surgery. The tumour was 13mm, they cut out 15mm but there’s a margin of just over 1mm that they want to remove to be on the safe side. Because I’m having treatment privately I don’t have to wait and am booked in on Tuesday to have this done. 

So in my mind Tuesday was a good day - as the title says it wasn’t the best outcome, but it certainly wasn’t the worst. It does mean that I have another day of starving myself (struggle with that) but as this is a 10 min job for the consultant I should be home that evening despite the op not happening till 5pm. My pre op nurse said to bring my overnight stuff because if I bring it, I won’t need it!

I recovered really well from my last GA so no reason to think this will be any different and I hardly needed any painkillers once I got home. The consultant has warned me I may experience more pain this time given he is opening up a wound that is still healing.

It does mean that my plan to go back to work today while waiting for my radiotherapy isn’t happening now so need to get my head around continuing to take it easy (I’m not the best patient and apart from my maternity leave, I’ve worked my whole adult life).

Just wondered if there are other ladies on here who needed to have further surgery and how they’d found the recovery in comparison to the original lumpectomy?

Hello,

What you are having is termed a “shave” I did not need it but it is not unusual. The take a margin around the cancer and if that is clear they need do nothing else. Sometimes it is not clear as in your case and they take a bit more. As for recovery I think “more of the same” would describe it. The first day or two is sore then you are on the mend.

Hi momo, i meeded a cavity shave to achieve clear margins. It was a much quicker operation than the wle. I went to theater at 3.30 and was home by 7pm. No problems with ga etc. The surgeon used the same place to operate so only one scar. I did find it more painful afterwards but it was easily controlled with paracetamol and ibuprofen.it was stinging pain on the scar and nerve pain in the breast. Nothing unbearable! I did feel a bit more tired afterwards too but i just rested for a few days and didnt drive for a week. They got the clear margins. Good luck on Tuesday xx

Hi momo wishing you a speedy recovery, i had op 25th july, i started radio 26th of sep, im left breast too, they mentioned i might need breathing lessons due to this, but after ct scan and planning they said i didnt need it, i have 3 tattos one either side of my body and one in the middle of boobs, they use these to position me correct with a beam,  the positioning takes more time than the actual radio, its all done in about 15 minutes. I had my planning meeting to weeks before radio started, hope this gives you an idea.

Debbie