1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

November 2016 Starters

Seagull1

Re: November 2016 Starters

Hi again. Blimey we are going through it aren't we. Nearly ended up in a&e last night. Had really bad diarrhoea & emergency doc said One more bout & off I'd need to go. Luckily it then stopped. Literally drained now though. Am hoping as I felt so bad from the mo the drugs went in this time (rather than day3) I might feel better sooner.
Great news about the gene pernapus! 🎉My kids loved the whole hair shaving too. They even got my hubby to do a Mowhawk! And Kelly everyone tells me hair comes back curlier after chemo but the one person's I know who had curly hair before came back straight! I'll just be grateful to hair hair. Lol.
xxxx
pernapus

Hi all..capelmum sorry to hear of your week, lets hope the next one is far better, sure it will be 😉. Sarah good to see you and hope today and the coming week aren't too bad, and same to everone on here who had sessions this week.

Last night my kids (4&5), hubby and my friends supplied pink fizz, chocolate cake and shaved what was left of my hair. The kids found it funny and have coped amazingly, better than me I think. I couldnt be prouder of them. But it was, all things considered, a good day. Dont feel bad today but expecting an ok weekend like last time followed by a rough start to next week. But nothing I can't handle. 💪
Also had good news that no BRCA1 or 2 mutation so at least my kids are safe and the tumours appear to be shrinking....even the Prof can't feel them 😄. Cautiously optimistic and feeling that the light at the end of the tunnel got a little bit bigger. I hope you all have similar good news over the coming weeks ❤
capelmum52

Hi Ladies, been a mixed week !
Kelly I am really glad that you have been able to work too, if you are used to working as you say it does give you something to cling to that still feels normal. I am due to return to the office today (yep it does suck to work on a Saturday!) and hopefully full time until the next round of chemo on the 30th.
Seagull I am so sorry to hear that you have been feeling so low this time, I was not prepared for him I felt day 3 to 7 at all but at least we now all know that there is light at the end of the tunnel as we near the middle of each cycle. Stay strong and know we are all there for you anytime you need to chat.
As for me, back to being positive, optimistic, and trying to lead as normal a life as positive as day 11 dawns. Have had 9 hospital appointments in the last 5 days including a lovely midnight trip to the out if hours service as the breast wound from my lumpectomy had become infected after the last time they drained it and loads of fluid suddenly started to pour out of it. It was gross 🤑 !! Back to post op dressings and an extra does of anti biotics to go with the ones I am already taking. 3 days on and it is still leaking and they gave said the hematoma in it is 3.5cm so, looks like this may take some time to fix. The MUGA and CT scans both proved problematic as they could not get a vein so ended up with a suprise trip to oncology when a lovely nurse cooked my hand in a lovely warm wrap and then fitted a canula for the others to use. She has said that she will fit a PICC line for the next chemo session as veins in hand are now such a mess and we are only in chemo 1. Also got a corded vein from my arm pit to my elbow, very painful, has anyone else had this or and suggestions on how to treat it, massage is the only thing the nurse has said so far.
On a positve note the hair is still intact !
Well best try to grab an extra hours kip before the alarm goes off !! Love to you all and stay strong ! X
Kelly

Meant to say as well - lots of people have told me that hair grows back curly!
Kelly

Hi Seagull - sorry u feel so rubbish. U know it will last a few days and then hopefully you'll be feeling stronger soon ready for the next go! I was supposed to have my 2nd round yesterday but it was delayed until today because for some reason 6 weeks after my lumpectomy I've developed a hematoma which had to be investigated. My boob looks horrendous it's swollen and black and blue.

Go for the picc line. I had a portacath fitted straight from the start and it's a bit weird having them putting the needle in my chest but it goes in pretty quick. So the picc line will be much easier too.

I finished my chemo at about 3ish this afternoon and I'm already feeling tired - I know what's coming up over the next week.

Hope u feel better real soon - stay strong xx
Seagull1

Hi all. Haven't been on here for a few days. Had chemo 2 Tuesday & felt absolutely drained as soon as they put the piriton in! Took 4 goes to get my blood & get cannula in so think I may end up with a picc. Haven't got out of pjs since got back from hosp Tuesday afternoon😔 Definitely feel worse this time round but slightly better this afternoon.
Shaved head at the weekend as hair was coming out in clumps. I thought I was going to be a complete mess as I've got naturally very curly hair which everyone knows me for & am worried it'll never come back as curly. Though I've always moaned I've wanted straight hair! Be careful what you wish for! Also actually love my wig.
Keep strong ladies. xxxx
Sarah73

Hi Julie. Have fun trying on wigs. Me and permapus are both Friday sessions same as you. Hope it all goes OK today and the week to come xx
Auntyjulie

Hi pernapus, I hope your treatment went OK today, mine tomorrow! Also going to try on wigs tomorrow. Sarah73 and everyone having treatment his week hope we all sail through it! Hugs to all xxx
pernapus

Thanks for the welcomes lovelies. Kelly I hope your day went well and you have a good cycle 🙂 try not to worry about your hair if it falls out worrying won't change it and it will grow back.

Sarah it was lovely to meet you and i hope we bump into each other tomorrow or in the weeks that come. Your wig looked truely amazing, i really didnt know it was one when i saw you 🙂

Capelmum...hope your brain duzz clears, i found by about 10days or so i felt much less mussy and have been working too...it helps me feel more normal 🙂

Positivity all round ladies we can kick this I hope, and if a new hair do is required so be it xxx
JoJo45

IMG_1726.JPGHi ladies, my breast nurse has sent me this to wrap around my boob inside my bra to help massage the fluid 😳, anyone else tried it?  I've had it on all day and surprisingly you can't really feel it.  Must be because the breast is so hard with the fluid I have no feeling left 😆

Feeling much brighter again today and been out for lunch with the ladies.  (And I didn't fall asleep at the table 😀

hope everyone is doing ok.  Xx

Sarah73

Hi permapus. Was lovely to meet you and have a chat. Hope you find forum helpul and comforting as i have.

Hi everyone else. i had my head shaved totally bald on Monday after it had nearly all fell out and went thin and wispy. I'm handling it better than i thought considering i have always had long hair. I have been wearing my wig, but love getting home and taking it off!! My husband loves my bald head too, which is bit strange. He says it brings out my eyes ;-). Hope all of you are ok when it comes to yours off.

My 2nd round of Fec tomorrow. hopefully my veins will last till no 4. If not i will ask for picc line. prefer this to portacath. Even if is under the skin...prefer it in arm rather than my chest.

Hope you are all as good as you can be.

Sarah xx

Kelly

Hello pernapus, I am at exactly the same stage as you. I go tomorrow for my 2nd round. I've started to fret a bit about it tonight cos I know what's coming over the next week 😰. Amazingly I haven't lost any hair yet on my head I must add, as losing it everywhere else. Fingers crossed the cold capping will help a bit - I don't think I'll make it through 6xFEC without having to wear my wig!

Capelmum - glad u have managed to do some work and lead a bit of a normal life at least. I felt pretty strong and back to normal from about day 8, just a little tired now and again. Fish finger sandwiches sound good - unbelievably I've put on so much weight since my diagnosis I can't stop eating cakes and all the wrong things. I've got to get a grip on that!!

Good luck to all - keep smiling 😀😀😀
capelmum52

Hey Ladies, and a very warm welcome to pemapus. Glad to say now on day 8 of first chemo and feeling better and much more positive than I did 2 days ago ! Stool tiring easily and need to learn to pace myself, but managed to work 2 half days and quite proud of myself. Brain gets overloaded very quickly which for a mortgage broker is not a good thing, rather a strange hot sensation in my head where my ears are ?? Anyone else getting that one ?
Hair still intact for now but booked appointment at wig makers for 28th just befor next chemo session and 29th I am booked in to look good feel better course. Spoke to a lovely lady there who was brilliant and said they will teach me about how to draw on eyebrows, make the most of my make up and tie scarves etc, so as awful as it will be to lose my hair I am rather looking forward to having a new me, minute the grey hairs. I had the bone scan on Monday which I found very claustrophobic, got the CT and Heart scans on Friday, never a dull moment eh ! And best of all I have discovered a new love of fish finger sandwiches, who knew !! 😀
pernapus

Hi everyone, I'm new on here, so wanted to say hello! I'm on day 20 of the first cycle with my next one on Friday. Like lots of you hair is coming out in handfuls so am going full shave on Friday, can really undstand thw not wanting to see thw bald head as it makes me realise I'm ill! Looking forward to hearing your stories and sharing experience!. Thanks Sarah for directing me here 🙂
Auntyjulie

Thank you Truey. Hopefully they will use a different vein on Friday and I will definitely let them know just seems weird how it's come on after 19 days from when cannula was in.
Auntyjulie

Morning Skye, well yesterday I did it got it all off! My hairdresser came to my house which was so kind. It was starting to feel like pins and needles on my scalp. it feels drastic but I'm pleased I've done it. I'm not due to go for a wig until Friday, it was supposed to be last Tuesday however was tied up in hospital as I was neutropenic and had an ear infection. My hairdresser says I have a nice shaped head however I will not be showing it to everybody! It does feel like another reminder of what is happening but I also think another step in the process to getting better. So far eyebrows and eyelashes are intact. I have more chemo on Friday and definitely feel more prepared for it this time as I know what to expect and how long it will last and also have stronger medication to deal with it. I am quite hopeful that this time will be a lot easier. I hope you are starting to feel much better you are never on your own hun. Love and hugs xx
Truey

Hi AuntieJulie,

Just popping in from the October thread. I'm on my 3rd FEC cycle (last one hurrah!) then on to T.  The "bruised" feeling happened a little on my first cycle but just close to the point the cannula went in. After the second, my veins were painful up to my elbow, especially when stretching my arm out, though not badly swollen according to the oncologist.  He thought that a PICC line would not be needed now as T is a little kinder on the veins. My chemo nurse confirmed a few juicy veins left yet.

At Day 9 of chemo 3 my veins feel bruised in most of the treatment arm. It comes on after the steroids are finished. It is odd to feel issues in my non- mastectomy arm when doing my exercises! My oncologist and nurse confirmed that the veins do eventually improve after treatment ends but it takes time.

It it is normal but talk with you chemo team  about them. We are all learning so much on this journey and this forum is invaluable when we need to talk openly about these side effects.

Good luck 🍀

Sue

Skye

Hi Auntyjulie

You and I are on the same treatment plan. I'm on Day 15 just now, with second cycle due on Monday (bleh!)

I had my hair shaved last Tuesday (No.3) and wig fitted. I hate looking in the mirror without my wig as it reminds me that I'm having treatment. I don't need to think about that when I have my wig on and I can pretend that I'm ok.

Im feeling really down as I think my hair is coming out now and all I seem to do is cry. I'm trying hard not to, but I just end up in tears.

I hope you're doing better than me. 😀

Love n hugs to everyone who needs them.

Skye xxx  

Auntyjulie

Thank you Dawn, I'm on day 19 and it's just started, there is no visible bruising however the vein feels sore and a little swollen . I'm only having 2 more fec so perhaps a pic line may be too much. I shall tell the nurse when I get there Friday xx
OldDawn63

Auntyjulie - you can get bruising after a cannula, and it is also one of the listed SEs of FEC, so I wouldn't worry about it too much unless it is causing you problems. I am from the September 2016 Starters thread and have had four lots of chemotherapy so far, 3 x FEC and 1 x T (Docetaxel) + Herceptin and Perjeta. I have had numerous cannulas in my arms, where they have taken blood tests and where I have been put in a drip while in hospital with complications, as well as when having the chemotherapy. I have found that whenever I have had bruising it has been slower to heal during the 'middle week' but once I am past this the bruising tends to fade more quickly. However, it goes without saying that if you have large, painful bruises which are not healing even once you are past your vulnerable 'middle week' you should contact your BCN or oncology team for further advice. FEC isn't kind to your veins so many ladies have a PICC line inserted as this makes it easier - you don't say whether you have one but if your veins are suffering it is worth enquiring before your next treatment. I have managed to survive without one up to now, but I am now becoming concerned about the condition of my right arm so I am going to contact the nurse for advice before the next treatment.
Auntyjulie

Started to feel 'bruised' where chemo canular went in. Is this normal? Hugs to all
Auntyjulie

Day 18 and losing hair alot now, got appointment Friday for a wig so will get them to take what's left off then. I did get a slouch cap in preparation so will be wearing that from tomorrow! How are you getting on sarah73? Love and hugs to all you girls xx
Sue H-S
Community Champion

Hi Skye,

glad to read all is ok. My veins started going post chemo 3. They tried and chemo 4 took 3 x as long and was very painful. As I was on FEC all the way through the PICC then became necessary for the last two. 

Looking back - I wish I had it from the beginning. Those on FEC-T might not find it as bad - as the T does not affect the eins the same way.

Hugs

Sue xx

capelmum52

Day 2 was fine, day 3 and 4 just very tired and Queasy. Day six very bad nights sleep and nauseous and feel like I have been run over but a bus ! Yes to the hot flushes too and also feeling cold a lot too. Had to buy a snood and a woolley hat today as head is cold and not even started to lose my hair yet. I had the bone scan today, have the CT and MUGA scans on Friday so probably just going to hibernate between now and then 😒. Ladies how do you cope with going through this 6 times ??? Living on soup and ginger biscuits and crackers. Hubby cooking fish fingers for me as we speak. Not sure if this is just a craving or not !
I am still reading through all of your posts so will write a little later once I am feeling a bit more positive. Love to you all x
Skye

HI Sue H-S

In response to your post re PICC line - I've had my first Chemo and my veins were okay.  Second cycle due on 21/11 and I'll see how that goes.  Hopefully, okay - but I'm bearing in mind what you say.  

Cheers!

Skye xxx

JoJo45

Sarah,  I was just told that I would have a PICC line from the start,  however I did mention to the surgical team that I had problems with cannulas so this may be the reason,  I also have crap veins in the left arm and they can't use the right because of the lymp nodes being taken.  

The nurse gave me a waterproof cover for the line to use in the shower 'a limbo' - a plastic sleeve with elastic top and bottom.  I then wash my arm with a cotton wool pad after my shower as it's huge 😀.  💪🏻 

You can sleep on the arm too, I can just feeling it occasionally now if I catch the tube.  

Hugs for your treatment 🤗😘

Sue H-S
Community Champion

Hi Sarah73,

yes it is - but you might need to check with your chemo team, whether you are suitable to have one.

This is the basic info 

QUOTE - 

• Peripherally inserted central catheter (PICC). This is also called a PICC line. A nurse or doctor with special training puts it in a large vein near your elbow. Your team gives you local anesthetic to numb the skin and tissue when it is inserted.
  • Central line, tunneled venous catheter, or Hickman catheter. A nurse or doctor with special training puts this catheter in a large vein under the collarbone. Or it might go into a neck vein. The tube goes under the skin. The tip is usually in the upper chest. Your team gives you local anesthetic or conscious sedation when it is put in. Conscious sedation is medication to help you relax and feel sleepy.
  • Implantable port or port-a-cath. A surgeon or radiologist puts in a port, usually with local anesthesia or conscious sedation. The catheter goes under the skin of your chest or upper arm. -END QUOTE

If you wish to read up more about it you could follow this link

http://www.cancer.net/navigating-cancer-care/how-cancer-treated/chemotherapy/catheters-and-ports-can...

A PICC line needs flushing once a week and must not get wet, so you would need to organise for a cover for it. I am sure your chemo team will explain in detail.

Hope this helps.

Hugs

Sue xx

Sarah73

Hi Sue. I hear some of you talk about a picc line. Is this similar to a portacath? This is what I was supposed to have but cancelled. Now I'm worried about my veins. Did you get option of picc line? Or is it depending on which hospital?

Xx
Sue H-S
Community Champion

Hi JoJo45,

sorry to read you are feeling achey - for some that can happen and I am glad you have spoken to your treatment team for advice - also re your PICC. I never experienced pain in the arm, but was so glad to have it. Mine was put in post chemo 4, as my veins burnt out from the FEC treatment, which I had all the way through. My veins are very, very slowly recovering - but it will be a while yet, before they are anywhere near normal. I so wish I had the PICC from the start.

Hot flushes - oh boy, did I suffer from them - throughout my chemo. But they are much improved now. So those of you, who may struggle with it tips are

Wear layers of clothing, preferably made out of natural materials. If you can, your bedding should be all natural, too. If you suffer badly during the night - it might help you to put a large cotton bathsheet where you tend to lie - also drape it over your pillow - it will help to wick the sweat away and make you more comfortable. There is also a chillow pillow - which some find helpful.

Please try not to resort to supplements, such as black cohosh, red clover, sage, etc., etc. - if you have a hormone positive diagnosis. These supplements are loaded with phytoestrogens, which mimick natural estrogen and are absolutely not recommended for the likes of us.

Hoping all are doing ok and you can enjoy your weekend.

Hugs

Sue x 

JoJo45

Evening ladies, 

not feeling brilliant at the moment, achey all over🤒 😥, have manage to get down the beach to blow the cobwebs away but only managed a little walk.  Then tea in the van, strangely managed to drink that cup but at home it tastes awful, must be the bottled water that makes it taste better.  

Arm is painful where the PICC line goes in and keep having hot flushes, anyone else had these?  Not sure if it's the chemo or my age 😳.  Spoke to the hospital this morning because of the pains and after 2 nurses and one doctor it was decided that I could take some ibuprofen again, they advised me not to take it on chemo day! 

Had the hair cut into a short bob yesterday to lessen the blow, and my friend said she could come round every evening to take more off if needed.  

Hope you are all feeling ok,  how you doing Fiona?  

😘😘

Sarah04

Kelly

It feels so good when you start and feel normal again doesn't it. I always have a glass of wine when I'm on the up again. I figure one can't hurt and when I asked my Consultant if it was ok she replied "hell yeh"!
I had last chemo on Thursday so feeling pretty rough at mo. This time next weekend I should be on the up again. I've cold capped too and so far so good. I know what you mean about down below though. Although randomly have kept arm hairs. What's all that about?!
Enjoy your dinner out
Sarah x
Kelly

Day 15 post 1st round chemo and feeling back to normal. Had a couple of cheeky glasses of wine last night and looking forward to going out for dinner this evening. I'm cold capping and so far haven't lost any hair on my head. However woke up this morning, went to the loo looked down and discovered half of my pubic hair down the toilet!! At least I'll be saving money on waxing over the next few months 😂😂. Next round on Thursday - and so it begins again xxxx
Sarah73

That's fab news that your lump has started to shrink already seagull. Sort of makes it seem like to least you know it's doing its stuff.

Julie glad you're out of hospital. I too started shedding my hair yesterday! Scalp very tender too. I must have mine on same day as you as next Friday my 2nd session.

Hope everyone doing OK

Hugs to you all xx

Auntyjulie

Hi girls hope you are all having a good day. I've been in hospital had an ear infection generally felt ok no temperature but because I was neutropenic they kept me in for 3 days. Seagull1 I'm also her 2 positive, treatment is x3 fec x 3t. Hair started to shed yesterday, going out Saturday so hopefully will look OK! I am feeling much more myself on countdown for second fec in 7 days. Hugs to all, aren't we doing well!
Seagull1

Hi all. Hope you're doing ok. Saw my oncologist yesterday. I'm having my chemo drugs with the herceptin & Pertuzumab before surgery as I have hormone receptive lumps & the good news is they've started to shrink already after 1 chemo 🎉I still have to have 6 cycles but hopefully it'll mean less invasive surgery. Anyone else's HER2 positive?
capelmum52

Day 2 after first chemo was fine. Worked from home as did not want to take the risk of going in to the office in case side effects suddenly kicked in !!

Other than a slightly odd taste in my mouth and a churning stomach I am fine.

Woke up this morning day 3 and still feel fine, other than sore boob from the lumpectomy. They have had to drain it twice now as fluid build up and a blood clot. There is not much else that can be do e with it now, so just having to ride it out. I have my daughter coming home tonight and my best friend so looking forward to that, help take my mind off of it. Husband bought me a new bucket today, just in case !!

Love to you all and keep on smiling !

Fiona x

riversidedawn

Hi ladies, two years ago I was in your place. Had first chemo had hion 31 October 2014. By now the sickness had worn off, I'd lost half a stone and half my hair! I cold capped through 3 x FEC and 11 x weekly paclitaxol, someone mentioned a portacath - I had one and it was fantastic, I'd heard tales of painful sunken veins and picc lines being inconvenient but the port was a breeze.

Two years on the hair is back and looking better than before (in my opinion, although may be you just appreciate it more!) the weight has also come back unfortunately.

Totally recommend look good feel better, I had to wait til Feb 15 for mine and travel 15-20 miles but was worth it. They get a lot of cancellations with people not feeling up to it so worth putting your name down. They also do mini sessions in some Boots, I think you can find out on the website.

Another source of great information is cancerhaircare.com based in Stevenage for anyone this way - hair, cold cap, make up advice, wig fitting, mini make overs and a choice of scarves and other headwear. Worth a visit to the website if you can't make it to the salon.

Any questions please free to ask x
Sus12

The Look Good Feel Better DVD and booklet is called The Confidence Kit. They're free but they ask for a donation if possible. If you don't have a Look Good Feel Better session near you or if it's too long off look on their site for their Masterclasses they have around the country. There might be one near enough for you.
2nd FEC today and annoyingly back to feeling very very sick again but hoping it'll go off quicker this time with the meds or I'm going to shout louder to get it sorted! 😄
Hope everyone is doing ok. We'll all get through this.
Big hugs to all,
SueF xx
Sarah73

Thanks Sue F. Didn't realise there was a DVD. Will have a look for that xx
Sarah73

Glad you're feeling OK jojo. Love the hat! Think I will get few of themy xx
JoJo45

Hi Fiona,  well done on the cold capping.  

The nausea will wear off.  I'm feeling quite tired this morning having a bit of a lazy day 😴

Hugs to all 🤗

capelmum52

Had first chemo today. Went for the cold cap which was no where near as bad as I had expected. It was on for 3.5 hours and there was ice in my hair when I took it off !
The steroid injection was a bit of a shock as it gave the sensation of having "sat on a hedge hog" very weird.

Now back home and feeling a little nauseous, and so it beginning ..........
Truey

Hi Everyone,

I'm also from Sept/Oct and the earliest date I can get for a Look Good Feel Better course is April 2017 - after all my treatment will be finished!! It's a shame as it is during our chemo we all need this confidence boost but I guess it depends upon funding and venue availability etc......

Sue

Sus12

Hi Sarah,
Just popped over from the October thread to say that yes it's a shame you can't get into a Look good feel better course until Feb, I couldn't get on one until Jan but meanwhile I've ordered the booklet and DVD from them which has arrived and looks really good. Lots of tips on hair and makeup and the DVD makes it easier as you can watch and then try out and re run it as many times as you like.
SueF xx
Seagull1

Hi all. I'm at day 15 & not feeling too bad, even though I've managed to pick up a cough & cold. Still feel tired if I do too much but have met a couple of friends this week & even managed a Tesco shop today. Just started losing some hair but not too much. I've got very fine naturally curly hair so it looks awful short so I'm just going to shave it when it gets too bad. I've got a wig & hats at the ready. Tea, coffee & alcohol taste vile. So I'm drinking water with a slice of lemon & if I fancy something hot I'm having hot Ribena or hot chocolate which taste ok.

All the best.
JoJo45

Hi Sarah and all you other lovely ladies, 

Doing ok today, had to take my son into Exeter this morning to get his travel vacs, he's off to Bangladesh in the new year.  So I popped into work for a couple of hours, just to say hi.  Managed a bit of shopping then home.  

Had a bit of a restless night and felt a bit nauseous this morning with a banging head, yes just like the hangover they said I would get, and for free😆.  Took the extra anti sickness and some paracetamol and soon went off.  Got to inject myself in a bit but at least it's only the once.  I'm a bit uncomfortable where the PICC line goes into my arm but apart from that doing ok now.  And done nothing but eat since I got in! 

Wasn't sure when to get my hair cut but is sounds like I have a few more days to get it sorted.  

I order a couple of hats from livingbetterwith:cancer and they arrived this morning:

IMG_1703.JPGFor the days when I don't want a wig. 

Hope all is going well with you all 🤗

JoJo45

Hi Sarah and all you other lovely ladies, 

Doing ok today, had to take my son into Exeter this morning to get his travel vacs, he's off to Bangladesh in the new year.  So I popped into work for a couple of hours, just to say hi.  Managed a bit of shopping then home.  

Had a bit of a restless night and felt a bit nauseous this morning with a banging head, yes just like the hangover they said I would get, and for free😆.  Took the extra anti sickness and some paracetamol and soon went off.  Got to inject myself in a bit but at least it's only the once.  I'm a bit uncomfortable where the PICC line goes into my arm but apart from that doing ok now.  And done nothing but eat since I got in! 

Wasn't sure when to get my hair cut but is sounds like I have a few more days to get it sorted.  

I order a couple of hats from livingbetterwith:cancer and they arrived this morning:-

IMG_1703.JPGFor the days when I don't want a wig. 

Hope all is going well with you all 🤗

Jjmabbatt

Hi Sarah,

Good luck with your 2nd session, I completely know how you feel, just when you start to feel normal again, you are knocked back again, but I actually feel ok today, not even a week has passed and am contemplating, going shopping and dare I say some ironing. I did get a lot of hot flushes this time but they seem to have passed too. Glad it wasn't just me that has gone off tea.  I just have a tiny bit of squash with ice and water now.  I have put on a fair bit of weight too, have been trying to do a couple of miles on a static excercise bike, when I can, but I think it will drop off again.  I wouldn't worry about your weight, you will loose it.  I had a tingly sensation in my scalp it was day 11, I washed my hair and it just sort of started coming away.  I had really thick long hair, so had it cut into a bob.  It then started to thin so made the decision to have it shaved and get a wig, which I am glad I did. The wigs available are really good. Get yourself some really good moisturiser as have found my skin is becoming very dry. Am slapping it on all the time.  Also sorry one last thing, keep yourself really warm for chemotherapy as my 2nd treatment was quicker as I was really warmed up, and it's easier to administer in warm veins. 

Julie

Sarah73

Last night i ended up having to spend a few hours in A&E due to my temperature reaching 38. I felt ok in myself just a bit tired. But they said better to check. So after ringing the chemotherapy helpline number they said i should go in. They put a canular in incase needed IV antibiotics and took my bloods. All came back as no concern which was grea news so i was able to go home.

Im now on day 13 after round 1 of FEC. Cant stop eating. Seriously contemplating going on a diet. Feel so fed up with myself. Goodness knows what i will be like when my hair starts to come out. Ive booked on the look good feel great session, but the earliest place was end of February!!! Such a shame a long way off as could probably do with the help and advice at beginning of treatment not near the end. Never mind.

Got my Oncology Appointment on Wednesday next week to get results and full diagnosis. Also to get my results from the genetics test to see if i have the brca1-2 alteration. Being a mother of 2 girls i am dreading it.

I cancelled my portacath being put in as really wanted to wait and see if they manage without. If time comes where they say i have no option but to have it then obviously i will.

Thoughts and Hugs to all of you. Especially those just starting with first one. xxx

Sarah73

Hi Jjmabbutt

I am the same as you with regards tea. I used to drink about 10 cups a day, now cant drink it. coffee neither. do like the cold coffees though which is strange. trying to drink lots of water which i usually struggle with. Glad your 2nd FEC went ok. im on a countdown to my 2nd one. Its all i can think about. Knowing how horrible it makes you feel and then have to do it again. and again. 3 more to go then i will have 4 T+C. Hopefully they might be less of an impact on my body. Im currently on day 13 post chemo and my hair still intact. strange feelings going on my scalp though? i keep thinking ...maybe just maybe i wont lose my hair. wishful thinking i guess.

i love my food, and nothing has changed. apart from the tea thing. I was actually hoping to go off food a bit to lose some weight hahaha. not ideal i know. But instead i have put on weight. Not happy about this as was already a stone heavier than my usual. And i know if i suggest going on a diet my husband wont be happy as he thinks it shouldne be an issue at the moment.

Sarah xx