Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

November 2016 Starters

539 REPLIES 539
JoJo45

Re: November 2016 Starters

Morning Ladies,  

Just checking in to see how you are all doing.  

Energy levels are picking up again now, and I seem to be waking up earlier each day, on chemo I didn't really sleep until OH went to work at 6am then I'd sleep through til about 10!! I even managed a baking session yesterday and sending out Easter cupcakes and some for a special birthday.  

My thumbnail fell off yesterday 😳, I thought a couple of the fingernails would have gone last week, as I had an infection under two of them and had to have antibiotics, but I've kept them very very short, so may have saved them.  (I hope).  

My my hair is growing and thickening, however it's very white at the moment so it's not really visible from any distance.  My shadow looks like it has more hair than me 😆.  No eyelashes or eyebrows yet though.  

Chemo brain still keeps kicking in occasionally, like now as I've completely forgotten what I was going to say 😳.  

Hope you are all coping with your next step, operations, radiotherapy.  

I've had 12 of my 20 sessions of rads and so far ok, skin a little pink and scars slightly sore.  

Hugs to all of you 🤗🤗

xxx Jo 

Dragonfly

Hi all,

I had my third of 20 radiotherapy sessions today. So far so good. My head hair is growing back really quickly and I have been out a few times now without wig or scarf.....it's very, very short but really soft.  No sign of any eyebrows or eyelashes still and my nails seem to be getting worse by the day. I'm still more tired generally than I was before chemo started but definitely feeling better every day. Doing a little bit of running / walking every day which seems to help with my energy levels. Loving this weather and really looking forward to a few days off catching up with family over Easter.

Stay well! 

Annie

Seagull1

Hi Sue.
Thanks very much for that info. Yep my nurse told me I'd be sore & to avoid the sun, which is fine. I'm happy to lay in the shade with my book & cocktail 😉 I'm hoping I'll be ok to go in the pool though?! x
Truey

Hi Seagull,

I finished my rads 2 weeks ago (being from the October group). Just wanted to give you a heads up about something they only tell you at the planning meeting. That is that the SEs of rads on the skin continue after treatment ends and can peak 2-3 weeks afterwards. So you need to plan to take your moisturiser to Corfu and keep up the twice daily regime. Also your skin will be exquisitely sensitive to the sun. During sunny days even here in the UK I had to cover my neck with a scarf where it is red from the rads to the supraclavicular area.

On the plus side, I had only a 1 day treatment delay when the machine broke down and I had only very mild skin reactions 🙂

Eyelashes and and brows started to grow later than my head hair but they grow so fast!! After only a week or so I could use mascara and after 2 weeks, I hardly need eyebrow pencil - that's such a boost which will come soon so hang on in there......

Sending you you lots of good wishes that you also have only mild side effects from your rads and that you get to enjoy that well deserved break in Corfu!

Hugs,

Sue xx

Auntyjulie

Hi, not posted for a while, it's all happening at my allotment at the moment. Surgery (Mastectomy) is planned for 25tg April so it's all go getting as much as I can done so there's very little to do after for a few weeks. It's a critical time fir setting off seeds etc but I love it. It has been my saviour! Had 1st herceptin injection which was given over 5 mins and stung like a wasp when the needle came out. Only 13 more to go lol!
Seagull1

Hi JoJo

I'm well ta. Glad you're starting to feel better. I've got my radio planning next Wednesday with a view to starting on 2 May for 20 sessions. I go to Corfu on 3 June so hoping it all goes to plan as it's quite tight time wise! I've just been given my prescription for Tamoxifen too. Hair is growing back on body & head but eyelashes are still not coming through 😩 How are the rest of you doing hair wise? 

JoJo45

Hi Ladies, 

just checking in to see how you are all doing.  Hope you are all recovering well.  

Snail have you come out of the chemo fog yet? 

Fiona, hope you ar recovering from the op.  

I'm on the radiotherapy now, had 8 out of 20 so far.  Starting to feel more normal every day, though a couple of my nails have lifted and become infected, so now on antibiotics.  Chemo the gift that keeps on giving.  

Hugs to all of you xxx

Seagull1

Thanks OldDawn that's all good to know. x
OldDawn63

Just noticed your posts about nails, and wanted to give you some reassurance that they will improve eventually. Your eyelashes should also make a reappearance soon.

Your nails are probably at their worst now, because the poison stays in your system for a while after chemotherapy ends, but they should start to improve soon. Mine continued to deteriorate for two or three weeks after it finished, but since then they have got a lot better. They are now growing well, a normal colour and less dry. If you persevere with the clipping and nail oils etc. for a bit longer, you should see a change for the better soon.

Capelmum52- I hope your operation went well and that you get some help with the cakes this weekend. I am not allowed to make cakes at home usually, so making them for fundraising purposes seems an excellent idea.

Seagull1 and Snail888 - the April 2017 radiotherapy thread is now up and running if you want to join those of us already being zapped.

Auntiejulie - hope your first Herceptin injection went OK and that you have a date for your surgery.

Dragonfly

Hi all,

Like lots of you my nails are pretty grim but keeping them really short seems to be helping.  My hair is growing back pretty much everywhere....but also not my eyelashes.

I start radiotherapy on Wednesday and have 20 booked in.  I had the tattoos done last week which are much much smaller than I thought they would be.  It's quite hard to distinguish them from my numerous moles.  

I've had my chemo port removed which felt like quite a big step on the road to finishing treatment.  But I'm now starting to get a little worried about what happens when everything is done.....what does the check up schedule look like? Will they see me every 3 months / every 6 months / every year???  How will I stop myself panicking at every twinge??? I guess it will just take time.

Stay well and enjoy the sunshine!

Snail888

Hi Fiona hope op goes well. Radio planning for me today. Tattoo dot on left side very very sore oddly this is not the lump side and it really is tiny. My doses start 11th April for a total of 20. Will be good to hear how you are all getting on xx
Seagull1

Hi all.
JoJo glad the radio is going ok. Waiting to find out when mine starts. Should be 2-4 weeks time.
Fiona hope the op goes ok. Another box ticked once it's done.
Had my op 2 weeks ago & got the results last week. The cancer lumps are gone. Hooray. There were some cancerous cells remaining in the tissue they removed but the radio should finish any remaining off.
Am starting to feel nearer to normal now. Managed a long walk today but do feel knackered now. Hair is coming back everywhere except my eyelashes. Gggggrrrrr. Nails are still awful but taste buds are back and red wine tastes good again. Yiiippppeeee.
Love to all. xxxx
JoJo45

Hi Fiona,  hope the operation goes ok tomorrow will be thinking of you.  My nails are horrible, all of them have now gone white and I'm keeping them very short so as not to catch them incase they fall off, some are only holding on at the very base 😢.  On a plus my hair is growing I even have the odd ginger one showing through.  

Had radiotherapy no. 2 today, much quicker than yesterday.  For some bizarre reason though I started crying whilst lying there 😢 and as you can't move the tears just rolled down one cheek (I have to have my head to one side to zap the clavicle). 

Popped into the city after and bumped into a friend so we grabbed a quick coffee which was nice.  Lovely to feel normal for a second.  Bought a new bra, non wired and vest tops for quick changes in radiotherapy.  

Hope everyone else is doing ok xxx

capelmum52

Hi Ladies,

The curry was delicious but probably not my wisest decision as the stomach is still not fully recovered from the chemo and regretted it the following day. I have my next operation tomorrow. Feeling a little anxious about it now that it is so close. Timing is bad as I am supposed to be cooking lots of cakes this weekend to raise funds for my cancer ward. Will hopefully be able to cook with just one arm !
Fingers are still numbing as are toes, mostly they just feel cold all the time. Hopefully this will improve in time.
Nails are horrible now. Lumpy and ridges and brittle. Some now have white patches so likely to fall off if I am not careful. Nothing I rub in to them seems to be making any difference.
Hope you are all doing ok 😊

Love Fiona x
JoJo45

Hi Ladies,

Well had a lovely weekend away in Cornwall, beautiful weather even went into a summer top (out of the wind) and I felt the wind in my hair, all of the cm long 😆😆 

First session of radiotherapy today went ok, though the machine had "a technical issue" for a couple of minutes, I'm sure it's me - I broke the bone scanner when I went for that pre-op 😳.  

Just enjoying a restful afternoon, all the walking over the weekend has worn me out.  

Xxx

Dragonfly

Hi all,

How lovely to be able to taste again!  Some things still taste a little odd to me...especially sugary things.  Must give a good curry a go soon. I bet it was lovely!

I'm doing ok post my last chemo. I went back to work on Monday but am struggling to make it through a whole day....I'm still getting very tired.  I think it's the same with everyone isn't it? My fingers are still very sore and my nails are turning brown....I look a bit like an 80 a day smoker.  

We we are going away this weekend too to celebrate the end of chemo and I'm hoping to enjoy a few nice walks and some nice meals out.

I was talking to a couple of ladies today who have both been through chemo and radiotherapy and both said that the worst is behind us having finished the chemo and they said that the radiotherapy (aside from the kerfuffle of it being everyday) was a breeze compared to chemo. Fingers crossed.  Hope you are all doing well. Xxx

JoJo45

Hi ladies, 

Starting to feel normal again now, 😀.  We've booked to go away this weekend before I start the radiotherapy on Monday.  Hopefully I will have enough energy to walk about.   

Fiona, isn't it lovely to be able to taste things again, how was the curry?  Hope you are starting to feel normal again too.  My fingers and feet are still a bit numb, you don't realise until you try to pick something up.  

Auntyjulie,  hope you are starting to feel better now.  

Snail and Dragonfly,  how are you both doing on your final chemo side effects?  Hope you are both resting and coping with them.  I found the last one seems to keep on giving.  

Seagull hope you are recovering well after the op.  

Hugs to all 🤗🤗xx 

capelmum52

Hi Ladies,
I have my taste buds back ! So excited ...... still steeeing clear of chocolate but have had lots of yummy things to eat. 😊
My fingers and feet are still numbish and my feet, ankles, hand and forearms are swollen which is making sleep uncomfortable, and still completely bald everywhere but I really don't care as I can taste things !!
Having curry for dinner 😊😊
Love to you all
Fiona x
OldDawn63

Glad you are out and recovering now Auntiejulie. Herceptin only is nothing to worry about. If you are having the injection, they normally do it into your thigh. It doesn't hurt much and only takes a few minutes. If you have any queries have a look at the Targeted Therapies section of the Forum.

Auntyjulie

Update, well was in hospital a week Alt liver level went up to 400 but Mri and ultrasound was clear and Alt now 280 which is still high but they not worried. Got my first herceptin only on Friday so that'll be quick and easy hopefully! It's 6 weeks till surgery, on countdown now. Breast Nurse wants a chat at some point about it all and have an appointment with the genetic ppl soon too. Hope you are all well hugs xx
OldDawn63

Just noticed your posts ladies, congratulations on completing your chemotherapy.

I know some of you don't feel like celebrating at the moment. I felt the same way as you, and judging from other posts it is quite common for the end of chemotherapy to feel like a bit of an anti-climax. The fatigue and some of the other SEs (such as grotty nails) can also get worse for a few weeks after, before things start to get better. But they will, and it does help if you make the effort to get out and about even if you don't feel like it.

JoJo45 - well done for getting out with your friends today. Opportunities will be rare once you start your radiotherapy. You did the right thing chasing them, my radiotherapy only started last Monday, just under 8 weeks after surgery, after being told it would be about 4 weeks after. My appointments are all over the place as well, and they only confirm the time of the next one after each treatment! Meaning I can't plan anything else during the week.

JoJo45

Hi Ladies, 

well what a difference a day makes, I had arranged to meet the girls from work for lunch today as I thought I would be out of the chemo fog by today, and feeling bad all week I was going to cancel, however OH said "get up and put your face on and you might feel better, it's only down the road so you can always come home again".  How right he was, I've had a lovely day, a leisurely light lunch, a little wander around the local shops and then coffee n cake. So nice to get out and feel a bit normal.  Gave up on the wig before I got out of the door this morning though as very windy, so opted for a nice hat instead.  Might even sleep tonight.  

Dragonfly,  I have my my appointments for radiotherapy, however they are all different times, I wasn't given the option as the unit is so busy at the moment, some of my appointments are in evenings 😳.  Just happy to get them though, and I'm not working at the moment so not such a bother for me.  Did you know you can claim for travel to the hospital?  

Snail and Dragonfly, Hope your side effects from the final chemo aren't too bad, nearly there now.  

Hugs to all. Xxx

Dragonfly

I know exactly what you mean JoJo.  Just when you think you are over the worst of it and you think you can get on as normal, you realise you need to lie down! It's so frustrating.  I had my last chemo last Friday and thought I was over the worst but am still getting waves of tiredness.  My nails are really sore too...they seem to be getting worse not better.  I have now got all my radiotherapy appointments booked in but wondered what you all thought about the best time to go.....at the moment I have opted for the last appointment of the day (which is 3.45pm) so I can go to work first but I'm now thinking I should get it out if the way in the morning and then go on to work after....??? Hope everyone is ok. Big hugs. Xxx

Snail888

The oncologist told me yesterday you can feel great and then another day totally drained and that it's normal! I'm shattered today mind you the cat for me up at 4 howling. She was then sick everywhere! An hour of cleaning later and i was wide awake.
I hope that infection is getting under control xx
JoJo45

Hi Ladies, anyone else feeling completely drained?  Can't even manage a walk down the drive to get the bins in, let alone a full walk around the block.  Even the stairs wear me out!! Also seem to have nausea back again.  I guess I was just hoping to bounce back quicker than this.  Everyone keeps saying "well done your over the chemo" errrm NO.  

Seagull1

Hi JoJo. No drains thankfully as I had my lymph nodes out before my chemo. Just feel very bruised now.
JoJo45

Hi Ladies, 

Well I had not heard anything from Radiotherapy, my consultant said I should hear in a week to 10 days post last chemo, but as I was up the hospital yesterday I popped into oncology to ask.  Result, I was given an appointment at 9:30 today.  So now I've been in, had my planning appointment, CT scan and tattoos done.  Bit of a shock though as because my cancer was a fast growing grade 3 and had spread to quite a few of the lymph nodes, they are now treating all my lymph nodes in the clavicle and chest wall too. Also need to have boosters.  So now have 20 sessions instead of the 15 I was originally expecting.  But if that's what I have to do to beat this, then bring it on it's only an extra week after all.  

Hope everyone is doing ok.  

Snail its nice to get the last one out of the way, hope the side effects aren't to bad.  Xx 

Seagull wishing you a speedy recovery from your op.  Do you have drains in?  Xx

Seagull1

Hi Snail. Glad your last chemo is done. Such a lovely feeling. Just got home from my surgery. Feeling very tender. Bloody potholes on drive home didn't help! Surgeon could find any trace of the lumps so that's great news. Just got to wait for biopsy results next week then into radio too. Take care. xxxx
Snail888

How are you all? Very quiet! Chemo 6 done for me and onc appointment tomorrow. Why they send you in on your risky days for infections I dont know. Hoping ill be passed to radio now and get on with planning. Off out to sit in the sun for a bit x
Auntyjulie

Thanks girls, yep. Putting it down to the Gcsf lol.
JoJo45

Oh AuntyJulie hope you are ok and it's nothing serious sending get well hugs to you. Xx
Snail888

Could be the gcsf working overtime if you are on it. Try not to worry. So good tonhear people are getting back on their feet. I'm counting the days before I start going out xx
Auntyjulie

Hi girls, so nice to hear lots of getting back to normal stories. I'm day 12 of last chemo and have been admitted to hospital as had a temp of 38.3.i expected to be neutropenic however levels are now too high, 33! Not exactly sure what that could mean. Going for a liver scan at some point
JoJo45

Morning Ladies, 

Nice to see you back Fiona.  

Yes Sue, the tax still keeps on giving, just when I start to feel better I get one of those dreaded side effects back again, aches in the bones, the wonderful diarrhoea 😩.  

Fiona I too have the numb fingers and toes, the only plus on that is that it didn't hurt when my nail lifted even further yesterday whilst making the bed, and the skin on my toes falling off didn't hurt either 😳.  

I'm off to the 'look good feel better' course this afternoon, I hope they have a magic wand! I no longer look good and I certainly would like to feel better.  The eyelashes have all but gone now, the few that are left are short and stick in my eyes making them run even more.  And the constant running means that any makeup that looked remotely good has run away too.  

Hope the op goes ok today.  

Hugs to all 🤗🤗 xxx

Truey

Hi,

The numb fingers and toes are a pain aren't they??  I'm from the October group and am now 2 months post my final T infusion. The peripheral neuropathy is just as bad as it was immediately afterwards and I haven't seen much evidence of it getting better yet.

As far as I know, exercises don't help - it just resolves eventually by itself or it doesn't. My onc. told me that it resolves in 90% of people (not completely reassuring!!). Let's hope neither of us falls into the remaining 10%.

Another quick heads up.....the nail situation gets worse after you finish. The tax just keeps on giving!! Mine are still very discoloured and dry and detached from the nail beds towards the top. I'm hoping they grow out before the lurgy spreads to the bottom and any of them drop off.

Sorry not to be more upbeat on this. However, the good news is that I feel really good despite having rads now. My energy (tiredness finally wore off at day 42) and taste are back (whoopee!!) what a revelation that is, plus constipation and diarrhoea is a distant memory.

Hope you recover quickly from your chemo and good luck for the surgery.

Hugs,

Sue O

Seagull1

Hi Ladies.
I'm nearly 5 weeks from last chemo Fiona & definitely feeling more energetic than I have since chemo started. Legs still ache a lot though & most nails have come off half way down. I had my guide wires put in yesterday & have surgery this afternoon, so getting myself a bit worked up at the mo. The lumps have gone so they're only taking out the markers & about a centimetre of tissue though. Got to stay in overnight but this time tomorrow I should be back home & then I get about a months rest until radiotherapy begins. We're getting there. xx
capelmum52

Finally day 21 of my last chemo cycle !
Now just waiting for the side affects to stop. The worse of these being the numb fingers and feet. Has anyone been given any advice on this or any exercises to do the help with this ? Taste seem tonne coming back a little bit but most things still taste odd. Tiredness still an issue too but been back at work for a week now which is probably part of the reason I feel so lacking in energy. My next op is now scheduled for the 29th March.
I am so glad we are all nearly through the chemo, it has been a hell of a journey ! Not one I would want to ever have to go brought again !
Love to you all.
Fiona x
Aine

Hi from the September thread!

Jackspratt - great you got the picc line in - it is excellent.  I had it from the start too and it makes life a lot easier when you have to deal with soo many SEs.  Hope you got plastic sleeves for the shower like I did - I also rolled clingfilm around it to be sure.

Good luck all of you over the next while....I thought I would never be finished and would never feel anything but very sick but please reassure yourself it does end.

Be good to yourselves!

A x

Dragonfly

I have been able to work throughout most of the treatment so far - I have had to take a few days off after each chemo cycle but have been able to work from home and go into the office in the second and third week.  It has definitely kept me sane and my employer has been incredibly supportive and flexible which really helps.  Like you Snail I am starting to make some post cancer goals (too morbid to call it a bucket list but I guess it is a bit like one)!  Starting to run again and entering some 10ks is up there and I WILL run the London marathon next year.  As cliche as it sounds, spending more time with my family and friends is top of the list. If nothing else, this has certainly made me rethink and reassess priorities.  Onwards and upwards!!! Xxx

Snail888

It does seem like being cast adrift doesnt it. I'm trying to plan life after active treatment. I've got an allotment which I have no idea what to do with it and I'm going to start running again if I can so planning a few low key small races end of the year. I've also taken on a bit more coaching which I enjoy. Just need to make a final decsion about work xx
Dragonfly

So pleased to hear that your lump is not sinister Snail.  It must gave been so stressful waiting to find out. Nosebleeds are horrid. Mine keeps going too! My nails have started to discolour as well. I have my last chemo tomorrow and like so many of us I am so glad it's nearly over but also scared about not being in active treatment. Radiotherapy starts in 3 weeks and then all done by May as I had the tumours removed before starting chemo. I know it will get easier as time goes on....just having a bit of a wobble! Take care all. Xxx

Snail888

How horrible with the nosebleeds. I'm sure they have seen it all before e of my kids have thrown up.in the aisles at my local tesco!! She offered to drain lump but I said to leave it as im just 2 days out of chemo I didnt want to risk it xx
JoJo45

Good news Snail, do you have to have it drained or will it go eventually? 

Seagull my nails are still horrid not sure how the thumb nail is holding on, except for I keep filing it really short!  

Just been to Tesco and had one of my nosebleeds down one if the aisles, typical one that wouldn't stop, just had to stand there and go through a packet of tissues, whilst trying to hide the blood stained ones incase anyone walking past freaked out !!!! 

Manage to finish shopping, then when I got back in the car burst into tears.  Thought I was feeling a bit better today.  

Xx

Seagull1

Hi all. Glad it went ok snail. I've got my surgery next week & I've got a lump where they took the lymph nodes out which the surgeon said is just fluid so he's going to drain it when they operate. Just want it gone. I've had enough of lumps thank you. My nails are awful now. All breaking off halfway down, so they look awful & my fingers are numb.
Hope you're all doing ok. xxxxx
Snail888

Just got back. Had a doctor do the scan so could at least discuss it. All seems like seroma and scar tissues. Thanks so much for checking up on me xx
JoJo45

Hi Snail, did you have a scan today? I've been thinking of you and sending good vibes xx

Snail888

I had last chemo yesterday but feel down as im waiting on scan of lump which is still.in boob. Concerned it is still growing but know as I've had the op and 6 rounds of chemo there should be nothing but I can't help but worry.
JoJo45

Hi ladies, very quiet on here, which I hope means everyone is doing ok and therefore to busy to post.  

I've  been to a support group for younger women with cancer today at my local cancer charity, which was interesting.  It was nice to talk to other women at different stages of treatment.  

Just startiing to come out of th side effects now, just my eyes that are still sore and a small amount of pain.  Nearly there.  

I've still not heard from the radiotherapy team yet, was hoping to have my appointments through by now so that I could start to plan the future.  I really need to sort out dates for returning to work, and would like to book a holiday before I go back to work.  

I hope you are all feeling ok.  

Jo xxx

Auntyjulie

Hi Capelmum, I hope you are well and get your chocolate taste buds back soon. They said to me that they count 2 years from last period to complete the menopause. X
JoJo45

Hi ladies, 

would seem that the chemo fog is lifting slightly 😀, we've been out in the van today a trip round south Devon, well OH does all the driving so I snooze 😴.  Lovely walk around Dartmouth, even managed a nice pub lunch, and could actually taste the difference between the salt beef and the potatoes 😳, well at least the texture felt different.  Hopefully cardboard food is now a thing of he past 😀.  

Hope all are feeling better, we are nearly there.  

IMG_2184.JPGXx