Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

November 2017 Radiotherapy

Highlighted
Community Champion

Re: November 2017 Radiotherapy

Merc

Yay today you finish active treatment, I am ringing the bells for you now as I am off to hospital shortly for my annual eye test and I will have blurred vision after so dont know how good I will be at reading later 🙂 :0

The polymem dressings as I believe are also for when the skin breaks down so if you have blisters they may be of use to you.

Anyway my dear, heres to your not having to go to and fro between the hospital now.  Make sure you keep up your regime for the next couple of weeks as you will still be feeling the effects of the rads.  Are you doing anything nice to celebrate?

bell.jpg

Helena xxx

Highlighted

After today's session I will be halfway through my four week stint. Am starting to get sore under my boob and my nipple is very red and sore. I spoke to the radiographer yesterday who said it was a bit early for it to be like that and asked what I was using. I've been using E45 and she thinks that might be the problem. So stopping that and getting some Aveevo as recommended by her. Was incredibly tired yesterday evening and fell asleep in front of the TV. I'm wondering if the fact that I didn't drink as much yesterday as usual is what contributed to that. I usually sink 2 - 2.5 litres of water a day but only drank 1.5 yesterday so am up to almost 2 litres already today so let's see if that helps.

Highlighted

Thank you Debbie will do. My last session today 👍 Good luck to all you ladies still on the journey there is a light at the end of the tunnel X X 

Highlighted

Ladybowler

Thank you will do but think I mite need something else now as it looks like I've got blisters forming now hopefully get it sorted today X x

Highlighted
Community Champion

Headandheart

Yay, well done, wont be long before you are saying its your last one 🙂 🙂 xx

Highlighted

One down, 14 to go

Highlighted

Hi merc, ask your rads nurse if the have any cooling gel pads, i was given 6 towards the end ofmy treatment when i was very red, they really helped.

Best wishes ladies x

Highlighted
Community Champion

Merc

Ask your rads teams about getting some polymem dressings, they are usually for rads burns, but my nurse gave me some as my bra was rubbing my nipple.  I would cut a piece big enough to cover it and put it between my breast and the bra.  I used it for a couple of weeks after I finished as well it was really good

We will be ringing the bells for your tomorrow xxx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi, Merc,

that cabbage leaf leaf thing does work to reduce swelling...I used it on my Lymphoedema once and it worked...I don't use it regularly on it tho as my arm is sensitive and I have had cellulitis...but sounds as if  you get some benefit!  I think the e45 advice is also very good,because my Lymphoedema nurses advise it and I smother it onto my arm to keep it from getting dry.

each to their own tho xxx

Moijan😎

Highlighted

Hi ladies hope everyone's well I'm on my last 2 boosters this week boob definitely been fried nipple very sore too creams and painkillers not touching it but my lovely 86 year old neighbour told me to put a cold cabbage leaf in my bra I thought she was mad but boy I've been walking round all weekend with the leaf and it's taken all the burning,itching and shooting pains away thank god because I really didn't think I could go back for anymore treatment good luck to everyone this week X 

Highlighted

Hi Ladies. You are all so lovely, it’s so helpful & re-assuring to read all your experiences & tips. I’m off in awhile for week 3 of 4 RT. So far I’ve only had a slight bit of redness, but do use cream (Bodyshop body butter) in the morning & Aloe Vera gel in the evenings. My hospital recommends E45 or Aveeno but said I could use my own as it appears to be working! They do have Medihoney in the drawer to give us should the skin break!! Keep going everyone & thank you all. Big hug Pecan you can do it. Xx
Highlighted
Community Champion

Yes Zena, I agree with the doc who said that....my op was 2001 and then had reds and then more chemo,

the rads keep working - long time, so the stretches etc will help keep us 'nimble'....I did a lot of stretching my arm out straight above my head like a pole, whilst lying on the floor.....still do it occ, but not on the floor as can't get up now from the floor...nakkered knees!

thanks for all your tips on the creams you use.xx

Moijanx😎

Highlighted
Community Champion

Zena, great to hear from you...yes, laying awake and thinking...I'm not going to be able to sleep ..that's the pits.and you're right,I find all my worries...well, the worry of the moment, takes over my mind, especially if I've been hurt over something or I'm scared xx

i too tried amytrip...it works..,tho I only took 10mgs. And now I don't seem to need it...but it's near my bed, in case! One gp told me it's very helpful with nerve pain...I was having some at the time!

thanks for sharing...I've decided sharing makes the world go round...but you have to be in the right place, before you can xx

lots of love to you too Zena...you help so many ladies here with your tips xx

Moijan 😘😘😘

Highlighted

Ps , I also get shooting pains and feels like it’s swelling under my arm , and my boob aches a lot .
My onc said will get shooting pains more than likely every now and then for rest of life .. and the under arm and boob ache may take up to a year to settle , remember how much our bodies have been through and it takes time to get back to where we feel normal again .. doesn’t stop us worrying though I know that !
But keep doing those exercises ladies it’ll help with everything including stopping lymphodema ..
Biofine - French cream - amazon
Medihoney amazing - amazon
Aveeno on top of either one of those at least twice a day .. creaming up is a total must xxx
Highlighted

God I love you big M 💚.. you are the bomb hunny bunz.. just had to say that after ready the thread ..
Right I’ve been given hydrocortisone cream for my sore nipple .. I had lumpectomy x2 in the end so they went back in through the hole , maybe why I’m sore .. my boosters nearly done now - 3 more ( yay).
I’ve also been told ovaries removed is good and I’m very happy to say goodbye to them tbh .. always had bad pmt ..and get hot sweats now due to tamoxifen... been given venlafaxine which is mild anti-d .. and sleeping aid but also helps with night sweats: it does help loads and I also take 2x 10 mg of amiltriptline - which also is helped my with sleep and pain from rads .. it’s when I wake up in the night and start thinking that used to be awful ( lying in the dark with my fears ,,, horrible) but now if I wake up ( which I still do) I go back in 10 mins .. so highly recommend those 2 drugs if you taking tamoxifen and struggling.. do you know I never even used to take a paracetamol before bc .. Lol gotta laugh 😂
Big love to all you fighters xx
Sorry for long post .
Love you M xxxx
Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Pecan 

not sure what is going on xx.

I do know that the rads effect works over time...wouldn't have thought it would be those yet...the pins and needles and armpit stuff, just wondering if it could be your armpit tissues still healing...as you know some people get cording after their op...so very common to get sho9ting pains and/or tingling, mention these to your doctor or the radiographer if you are worried.  Did you say you have Lymphoedema? Sorry if it wasn't you...only that could give temporary tingling......get these checked,

but try not to worry as anxiety can also mimic symptoms which feel just the same as for other things,

love and hugs

Moijanxx

Highlighted

I woke in the middle of the night with sharp shooting pains in my armpit and pins and needles down my arm into my hand.  I've only had 2 rads.  I can't say I see any redness more than what was there before, because the breast hasn't quite normalised since the infection.  Sharp pains are intermittent, pins and needles do subside, but one side of my hand seems to be permanently numb now.

I hate myself for compaining all the time, and this must be contributing to my depression.  My mother wants me to go with her to some church function tonight, and every part of me wants to say no, but I have agreed to go because it's probably "good for me".

Highlighted

Hi all,

Taggie and Pecan, I too started rads this week (3 down, 12 to go) and agree with what you say.  The benefits of radiation outweigh the risks here, but it's still scary when you think about it. The size of the door leading into the rads treatment room shocked me, I have to say!

Regarding side effects, I'm already feeling pretty prickly and uncomfortable. I'm quite fair-skinned and one of the team agreed yesterday that my boob was looking pink, and that was after only 2 sessions. I'm moisturizing with E45 and hope that things will settle.  I had 2 operations in 4 weeks (the 2nd one was 7 weeks ago) and whilst the pain from surgery has slowly improved, it has always been there, which I figured was normal. It's got worse again since starting rads, again, I assume this should settle?

Best wishes and have a good weekend xxx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Well, Pecan, I really don't recall any side effects...but I was on soya milk, so no burning and I put it down to that...I WAS scared.....very scared for the reasons you've discussed....but the radiographer didn't talk much, you couldn't ask questions...they seemed to  want to avoid chatting, or were very busy!

I'm still here tho  16 years later....!    xx don't be afraid to ask questions..write them down...I was too timid back then. And we really still haven't much of a choice, try not to worry...maybe try a bit of fantasising...lying on a beach, or meditation....I know it's really toughxx

Moijanxx

Highlighted

Moijan, Absolutely no side effects at all?

I am really scared, but I'm also seriously depressed.  I was depressed even before the cancer, and I think cancer and letrozole are just adding to it.  I lie there on the table, never quite sure when what is happening, and imagining myself being nuked (in all the wrong places) while trying to run away.  No wonder they raise the "bed" so high!

I don't want bells, thanks.  NO BELLS!!! Maybe three weeks after they finish, when I can assume the side stuff going on inside has stopped, maybe then we can ring the bells.  After all, it's the side effects that are worse than the actual treatment, as I understand it.  (Except for you, you lucky thing!)  (Not really lucky, mind you, just lucky not to have side effects.)

Cathy

Highlighted
Community Champion

Taggie

Hello and welcome to the thread.

I have a DD cup and basically I wore an M&S soft crossover bra with good support non wired.  I wore it during the day on the days I was working, my rads team recommended that I go without a bra as much as possible so that the air got to my breast, but there was no way I was doing that when I was a work so as soon as I got home at night I would take it off and wore a cotton vest which had a bit of a support bra in it.

Helena xxx

Highlighted

Welcome Taggie.  I am just as confused about the bra-wearing.  I am a G cup, and a soft cotton bra would be futile as would going braless.  I think the powers-that-be must all be men or small-breasted women.

I have decided not to use cream until necessary, and in the meantime I am going to dust my breast with cornflour to prevent friction.

Cathy

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Pecan,

i had had no side effects from rads,  but I wonder if like me, you are really scared? I think rads ARE scary....I mean, not so much the sessions but I used to lie there praying that the rads wouldn't damage anywhere else.

Also! The radiologists seemed very tongue tied..at any rate no one really chatted and my mind ran riot...

no wonder you feel tearful xxx  try ticking off the days....and hopefully you will be able to ring your own bells(or borrow Helenas)at the end 

love and and best wishes, you are doing well and you will feel better when they've finished .xx

Moijanxx

Highlighted

Hi Everyone,

joining this thread as had my first of fifteen radiotherapy sessions today. Was given a cream called aquamax, but too early too tell how good it is as only used it once so far. Not having boosters so finish on the fourteenth of December, hopefully in time to enjoy Christmas. Not sure what to do about wearing a bra. Don’t want to irritate my skin but am a D cup and need some sort of support. Hope everyone’s coping and has a good weekend xx

Highlighted
Community Champion

sister

Hello and welcome.

I know at my planning apt they recommended E45 cream and 99% alo vera, but half way through they advised me just to use the E45. 

I know that some ladies have got a prescription from their GP for something called R1 and R2 cream.

Helena xxx

Highlighted

Hi Everyone

Had my planning appointment last Friday 17th and start Rads on 28th,15 in total no boosters so will be finished for Christmas.

I did have rads 11 years ago after chemo and mastectomy but as they were to chest wall I didn’t suffer very much, this time it was just a lumpectomy so my whole breast will be cooked. 

I cant remember what cream they gave me to use can you please suggest what you found worked best.

Needless to say I am not looking forward to the next 3 weeks.

Highlighted
Community Champion

pecan

I must admit apart from a little soreness around the nipple area, I was ok with rads.  The thing that got me was the constant travelling to and from the hospital and my life being controlled by that one session every day, that used to tire me and bring on my fatigue, but as soon as I had had a rest in the evening I was ok again.

Perhaps the crying is all of what you have been through being released now

Sending you hugs

Helena xxxx

Highlighted
Community Champion

anitajane

Oh yes we will be ringing the bells for you next Friday for sure xxx

Highlighted

Is there anybody who has rads who doesn't feel ANY side effects.  Redness, soreness, blisters, tiredness, etc?

I had my second one today, and can't stop crying.  I thought I'd stopped after the setting up stage, but it just keeps coming.  I was called in to my GP today and given anti-depressants.

Highlighted

Thanks Helena just on my way home now - 15 done 5 boosters to go - ROLL ON NEXT FRIDAY!!! 👍🏻
Highlighted
Community Champion

Morning all

Its nearly the weekend and another week of rads to be ticked off, hope everyone is ok and not too sore.  ENjoy a rads free weekend xx

Helena xxx

Highlighted

Thanks Kimi Angela is next on our thread to be starting she's the 27th Nov!! I'm glad you are finding it a breeze to chemo that's good to know app went well got tattoos got a bit of a sore neck today but it was already sore so not necessarily from lying on the board!! All done for Christmas Kimi lucky thing!!!
Highlighted

Thank you so much ladies for all your advice I feel I have found a home here, hugs to everyone
Highlighted
Community Champion

Yes KIMI, me too. Have elaborated a little in a pm! Mx

Highlighted

Hi Moijan. Hope you’re right & it goes more than comes, it’s horrid! I agree about the sense of smell as well, to the point that horrible smells can make me gag. Chemo has done all sorts to us hasn’t it? I’d like my hair, eyebrows & eyelashes back to their original state, oh & my nails are going peculiar now as well!! Xx
Highlighted

Hi Michelke. I’m ok, thank you, still coughing & hoping part of reason I feel as I do is because chemo still getting out of my system combined with starting RT, I’ll see Consultant in next couple of weeks I’ll have to ask her. So glad you’ve finished chemo, bless you, I’m two weeks ahead of you, so good you’ve got RT sorted. The scan is fine, if it’s like mine you’ll be drawn on, you’ll get used to that with RT, I joke with them it’s to check I shower before next session! You’ll get a couple of tiny tattoos that look like weeny moles & compared to chemo it’s a breeze. Glad it’s going to start for you, as you start that’ll be my last one, but I’ll be cheering you on & it goes quickly. Good luck tomorrow. Xx
Highlighted

Hi Kimi how you doing yeah scan tomorrow and start 8th Dec I hope the SE of the pills settle down for you it was strange today not going for chemo! Still have really numb hands and sore joints!
Definitely pleased no more chemo!
Highlighted

Hi Pecan. I’m also in week 2 of the dreaded Letrazole, hopefully these symptoms will wear off as time goes by. I’ve read taking magnesium helps with aches, I’m going to ask Oncologist, I’ll report back, but not seeing her for another couple of weeks, hope your hip pain goes, I’ve got backache, but as Helena told me, could be that hard RT bed & the stretched out position you have to lie in. Thank you as well Moijan, others experiences are helpful. X
Highlighted
Community Champion

Kimi. Now you mention it, I too have a strange taste in my mouth today, and my sense of smell has always been much stronger, ever since my original chemo.....

i guess the the strange taste will come and go...a lot of other drugs do that...I had it after a sleeping tablet, also when on penicillin...all very strange xx

Moijanxx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Pecan, hi,

yes taking new anti cancer meds is scary scary in itself. You will get used to it tho.

I took Letrozole for 7 years approx and had lots of aches.. wrists, knees etc which seemed to come and go.

Re the dizziness, I know it mentions dizziness in the side effects list, but it's well known now that drinking enough fluids is really important to us. I had a middle ear infection some years back and if I don't drink enough fluids, I find I'm dizzy sometimes.

Obvioussly mention it to to the onc if it doesn't wear off, but I suspect it might well, over a few weeks.

I am now on an anti oestrogen drug myself , but apart from the occasional bone ache and a generally slightly higher normal temperature,  it's not too bad so far(6 weeks) best wishes,

Moijanxx

Highlighted

Kimi, this Letrozole is scary stuff.  I start week 2 of it today, and have had a splitting headache on and off the whole day.  I find myself feeling dizzy sometimes, and my hands and feet have swelled.  Tastebuds gone strange, and sense of smell wonky.  Nothing unbearable, but this is EARLY days!  Oh, and the aching hips, which started on day 2.  Now THAT is a worse problem.

Highlighted

Hello Lovely Ladies.
Thank you for advice & re-assurance Gail & Helena, this forum makes me feel a bit better. Started week 2 of RT, some pink areas, but not too bad, but I am using moisturiser as advised, I do use organic Aloe Vera in the evenings, do wonder if I should though, also getting areas wet & using deodorant, conflicting advice we seem to get. My mind still does overtime & I get so worried that I’ll have a reoccurrence, how do we stop that? Think I’ll have to have a chat about the Letrazole, I ache almost everywhere & have a strange taste in my mouth, that won’t be fun for next 5 years! Glad you got sorted Michelle, sometimes admin is rubbish! Hope you’re sorted as well Merc, doesn’t sound much fun if you’re sore, only 4 more to do now, & to all of the rest of you, hope you’re all doing ok. It’s tough isn’t it? Xxx
Highlighted

Hi Native,

I had my first rads session today.  My local team recommended E45/aloe vera gel.

Best wishes xxx

Highlighted

Hi Native

Organic aloe vera is wonderful twice a day and approved by the staff at the Royal Marsden.

Perfume free shower gel like Simple.

I’m on treatment 13 of 20 and skin in great condition just a bit pink and warm so far.

Hope that helps.
Take care Anita
Highlighted

Native,

I have two friends in a different country who were told not to apply anything and to keep it dry.  They had no problems.  In the UK it seems everyone is told to apply as much as possible, unless there is a problem, and then to not apply.  Seems strange to me.  As I have never been in the habit of applying anything, because of allergies, I am not going to apply anything after rads either (except cornflour).  Mine start tomorrow.

Highlighted

Hi Native

I haven’t started yet but been told not to use anything oil based and perfume free shower gel hope that helps
Ruth
Highlighted

Helena

It looks fab maybe next weekend but enjoy xx
Highlighted

Hi ladies I'm new to the forum. I started radiation therapy last week and the radiation sisters told me to neither wash nor apply anything to the area being treated, left breast and armpit, this doesn't sound right to me please advise I want to minimise burning thanks in advance ladies
Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Zena,

just re read your post. So glad things are going reasonably  well, always good to hear positive stuff - hope the nipple improves...I had lost mine by the time I had rads as I had a lattissimus dorsi recon, (which had to be removed later, Due to the implant getting hard and local infections around it) never got around to a new nipple!.

re the soya...wasn't sure wether it was the presence of soya or the absence of dairy which helped....

have you had your recon now? Or will you have it after rads? Also what is Biofine?

take care,

''best wishes,

MoijanX

Highlighted
Community Champion

Ruth

It is a christmas fair at Hatton Country Village near Warwick, its all little independent shops, we go there quite a lot, have a breakfast and then go round the shops.  We did afternoon tea there once it was lovely.

https://hattonworld.com/shopping-village

Must admit I dont go near the German Market in Birmingham far too busy for me

xx