Did you mean: 

November Newbies 2013

Guest user
Not applicable

Re: November Newbies 2013

hi yes I would love to join ,thankyou xx
alabamasam

Sugar I've also got an ECG and ultrasound this week, I think we have all had them so obviously routine. All quite scary as we aren't told about them but again I found this out from the October ladies so wasn't worried when the apt letters came through.
We will get through this together, glad you found us xxxxx
More hugs
Sam xxx
alabamasam

Hi Sugarflower
Yes in full agreement with Sal, I start my chemo a week on Wednesday but since joining this forum and reading everyone's experiences and advice I am not as nervous as I would have been. If you also look at the October thread those ladies are 2 or 3 treatments in now so you can see their side effects.
We also have a Facebook page for November where there is loads more advice and we can talk more freely. Let me know if you want to join and I can add you
Sam xxxx 🙂
Guest user
Not applicable

Thankyou for your reply ,and hugs ,im having heart scan tommorrow i feel like everything has happened so fast from being diagnosed ,i was ill after op i had to be transfered to another hospital ,im sorry for sounding so negative ,im terrified of the chemo ,i refused at first to have it ,but my family where very upset ,but reading your reply to me has made me feel better ,and im glad your ok after your treatment today ,thanks  again xxx

Nanny_Sal

Hi Sugar

I know how scary Chemo sounds, but having had my first dose today, I now know that the anticipation is far worse than the reality! Please don't worry. You will be okay. There are so many things they can do IF you do get bad side effects. I have been okay, so far!

Just try and relax and by Wednesday evening your 1st dose will be done and dusted.

Sending you a ((((((((((((BIG HUG)))))))))))))

Sal xxxxxx
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi im new to the sight ,in september i had a routine mammagram i had no symtoms ,but was diagnosed with large tumour at the back of left breast i had lobular breast cancer ,3 weeks later i had mystectomy ,im having 8 cycles of chemotherpy ,and radiotherapy ,my results where  good they removed all cancer and 19 lymph nodes which where all clear ,out of all what iv gone through i am so scared to have the chemotherepy my first treatment is on wednsday ,im so dreading it ,xx

Jolou71

Thanks ladies, I'm actually fine with op tomorrow I know it's nothing like last time and I'll be tucked up in my own bed this time tomorrow with no drain!!!! Unlike last time when I was up all night helping a lady with dementia on my bay who thought I was a burglar lol. Have discussed the letter with some colleagues who have reassured me a bit. Sometimes you just need to hear it from someone else I guess. Thanks for all your good wishes. It's a horrible thing we're all going through but one positive is that we all have each other for support. X
alabamasam

Hi Jo, i got that letter as well and wished i hadn't but I took it to the nurse to get a few bits explained and actually that letter really does make it sound so much worse.
You will be in and out tomorrow with that op and back with us by the afternoon.
Big hugs Sam xxxx
Camper1970

Goo luck tomorrow stay positive thinking of you 😄
lilginge

Good luck for tomoro Jolou, will all be thinking of you and sending positive vibes. Big hugs, Vonnie xx
Nanny_Sal

Hi Jolou

Good luck with your surgery tomorrow. I'm sure it'll go well. I actually found the surgery okay! I think the positive was I could see that they were removing the cancer 🙂 and that had to be a good thing. Hardest part was going without food for over 24hrs as I fasted from 10pm the evening before and didn't end up having surgery till 7pm! I was starving! Was sat in bed at 2am eating a biscuit! Boy it tasted good.

I had a panic moment when I read my letter to GP confirming what had been diagnosed. Although more annoyingly was it was supposed to be what the Doc (stand in one) had already told me? It wasn't it was far more detailed. Which upset me a little. My BCN said they have mixed feelings about patients being sent a copy. I have to say I would rather not read it!

Enjoy your bath. Will be thinking of you tomorrow.

Sal xxxxx
Jolou71

Evening ladies, hope everyone is tip top! Just had a huuuuuge tea to fill up as I have to fast again from midnight for my op tomorrow. Gonna get ALL the little bugger out tomorrow (touch wood!). Got my onc appt through. It's next Monday so I feel as if I'm finally making progress. On the downside I got a copy of the letter my surgeon sent to my GP and I wish I hadn't seen it as it lays it all out there in black and white... Histology, high grade, 4 nodes including Apical node. Puts me at stage 3C. Not the need I was hoping for. Still, I suppose it could have been worse, and the treatment plan would be the same no matter what stage as I'm triple negative. Going to have a nice long bath, shave my legs and one armpit(!) and get my daughter to take off my toenail polish coz I can't reach still. Have a lovely evening, and may all your se's be little ones xxxx
Nanny_Sal

That was my thinking Sam! After the last few months, I could really do with a relaxed Christmas. Feeling semi human would be great 🙂 so fingers crossed for both of us! If it does work out we could be Chemo buddies!! But we shall see!

My advice to you right now, is relax it really isn't as bad as 'we' all imagine. I was completely stunned by how relaxed the unit was. Lots of beeping! That was annoying! But other than that! It was lovely xx
alabamasam

Yes Sal, i have bought a couiple of plain beanies as i wear those anyway, i do need to get one maybe with a flower on it though to stop the kids and hubbie from nicking them !
If your chemo dates change that would put you in line with me, i would be due on New Years day so they said they may move to the day after but that means we would be in week 3 for Xmas and therefore hopefully free of side effects for the Xmas week - brill on the Bucks Fizz ha ha
So glad you are feeling ok, makes me more positive about this whole experience xxxx
Sam 🙂 xxhugsxxx
Nanny_Sal

Thanks Vonnie,

I think I should have a drink every time someone mentions drinking, although if I did I think by now I would be drowning 🙂 So far so good! I am assuming the anti sickness drugs that they gave me this morning are still working, as I (whispers) feel okay at the moment. I ate when I got back, and am drinking regularly. Which in turn means regular visits to the bathroom for the joyous orange pee!!

Hope you are doing okay.

Sal xxx
Nanny_Sal

Hi Sam

I know what you mean about bandanas and scarfs, I felt the same. I also think it's difficult to tell because we still have hair! I for one have quite alot of hair. I haven't had mine cut yet! I'm sort of waiting for it to start falling out, then I will just shave it (I think) I have found some nice winter hats, Debenhams had some lovely fur lined ones. But also, I was thinking the other day, the people that I see regularly know I have Cancer and know I am having treatment. So does it matter if I look like a cancer patient?? Not really. Just because you look like one, doesn't mean you act any differently! I have had many friends tell me that I am coping so well and that they don't know how I do it! Well I do it because I have know choice. If I find a bandana the most comfortable head ware once I lose my hair, then I will wear it! Quite frankly my main aim is too get through this journey the best way I can, I think we all need to concentrate on being as happy and strong as we can!

So maybe try out a few hats! Which might be useful if your hair thins a little. It's going to be a cold winter when we are used to head fulls of hair!

Whatever happens we will all cope, because we are strong, and for the days that we have wobbles. We will still have each other for a hug or a gentle kick up the bum!

My Chemo nurse rang to say my next appointment would be on the 5th Dec, the day had to change because my oncologist only has a Wednesday clinic! So as my chemo would then be due on Boxing day looks like I might just get a Christmas Chemo free 🙂 and start with dose 3 in the New Year!!! Which would be perfect! Xxxxx
lilginge

Lots of action here today,.don't know where to start!
Firstly hi to Nic and Kim, welcome to our lovely November group. Xx
Sal, so glad you got on ok today and good idea for the picc line I had one put in before my first last week as new veins looked so shabby! It was a quick and painless procedure, can be a bit cumbersome at times as the dressing makes it a bit bulky but a good excuse to by some nye loose sleeved clothes lol!! Darcy nurse will come our every week to first it and change the dressing, I did offer to go to the surgery to save then a two but the practice nurses don't do it apparently.
Anyway, hope you have a good evening and the se's are very slight, I know you know but leery drinking lots and eat little and often if you can.
Take care hun, we're one down now!
Finally, hope Lizzie got on ok too, let us know when you feel up to it,
Big hugs all round,
Vonnie xxx
alabamasam

yes we both can, i bought some bandanas but i just felt like i have Cancer which i do but it really made it real so i gave them to my 5 year old to use for playing pirates ! A couple of the October girls are cold capping and so far they are doing fine and they are 2 treatments in so that is good although i will find it hard not washing it everyday and not being able to brush it properly. I sometimes think it may just be easier to get a wig so that is a decision i can make further down the line i guess. If i don't cold cap straight away i can't change my mind after the first treatment so i will try it and see what happens although the thought of sitting there for several hours is gloomy.
It was really good to see my work friends but i don't miss the job, just the people but they are always in touch on facebook or texting and i will call in to see them again on my week 3s when we get our immune systems back xxxx
Sam 🙂
Camper1970

Hi Sam

I've find do much housework and washing and even clearing out the drawers you end up with rubbish in, really missy work colleagues and at home all day on my own , so do get a big down and have no motivation, feeling rally well better than j have for aping time.

Not sure how the chemo will be just keeping an open mind, not sure what I will do when my hair falls out, that will be my hardest battle😔, not sure to go for a wig or just be brave will know when it happens, it's good to see all the comments and does give you light at the end of the tunnel.

At least you can prepare for Christmas and have a good break xxx
alabamasam

Hi Nic, i think i have that apt to sign forms this coming Friday, frustrating that you had to wait, last time i went it was a 2 hour wait so hoping that doesn't happen this week. My treatment starts on the 20th so a couple of days prior to you. I have filled every day leading up to it with shopping, coffee with friends etc I called into work last week to have a catch up with my boss and see my team and hopefully will do the same before Xmas but definitely don't want to go into work ! I seem to be so busy with the kids and house, house has never been so clean ha ha
Sam xxx
Camper1970

Hi Sal. That's good news sounds like you are going to do well , like you say 5 to go and staying positive, 😄
alabamasam

Hi Sal, glad you back home safe after dose 1 ! Didn't sound too bad and i think the Picc line is a good idea, less fiddling for next time. I'm back in for ECG apts this Thursday then Friday to see the chemo unit and then start next week.
I hope you continue to feel fine, keep drinking a lot of water, flush all that poison out !
Big hugs, Sam xxxoooxxx
alabamasam

Welcome Kim to November, not good you are here but good you found us. I start my chemo on the 20th, 3 Fec and 3 Docetaxel like you plus 4 weeks of radio and then tamoxifen. Good to hear your side effects aren't too bad. I'm going to try the cold cap as it was offered and i have 2 kids so would like to keep looking as normal as possible but if it starts to come out then it is going. I'll get my wig voucher on Friday and then go and get one just in case. How lovely of your work to raise the funds for your wig !
I'm glad you had your wedding prior to Chemo and all your surgery is out of the way.
We are stronger than we think !!!
Sam xxx
Nanny_Sal

Hi Lizzy

How did you get on? Hope your doing okay xxx
Kimben

The Oxfordshire hospitals are no longer funding cold caps for FEC chemo as apparently the results are showing that it just doesn't work with this type of chemo. My work very kindly raised some funds for me so I bought the best wig from the wig shop which looks just like my hair so I'm happy.

I think I've accepted my hair will go now and I don't want to spend every day looking in mirror. I had hair to my waist but have chopped it to my shoulder now. I expect I'll cry when it falls out but I need to remember it is the treatment that is going to help me in the long-run that is causing this ....and not the cancer.
Nanny_Sal

Hi Nic

Just had my first dose. Glad you have been given a date. I think you feel more in control when you know what lies ahead.

Apparently I wasn't the only one who thought 'dishy doc' was a bit of alright. Chemo nurse said she fancied him!! Bless him!

Hope you enjoy a few days back at work. I'm off for this week. Although I think I probably could of coped. But easier for them to cover me just in case.

Sal xxxx
Nanny_Sal

FIRST DOSE DONE!!!!! ONLY 5 to GO!!!!

I'm back home, all went well. I have my goody bag of drugs, and an injection that I have to self administer tomorrow afternoon! Staff in the unit were lovely, and they bend over backwards to make you feel comfortable. I swear I had better service there, than I have had in many restaurants!

Only hiccup was finding a vein! Nurse has now booked me in to get a PICC line fitted! She said it's better than ruining your veins, especially as I only have one arm that they can use!

So now having a quiet afternoon watching Jeremy Kyle (OMG my life is perfect compared to the guests on his show)

Welcome Kim, glad to hear that you are doing okay after your first dose. Did you opt for using the cold cap? I was talking to the nurse today and she said that very few people actually pt for it! Which I was surprised at.

Sal xxxxxx
Kimben

Hi ladies,

Unfortunately I am in the same boat as all of you but have been reading the posts and it has helped me through my first FEC treatment so I thought I would join in and try and support others going through the same thing.

I'm 31 and was diagnosed with breast cancer in my left breast in August. I'd first noticed the lump over a year ago and got it all checked out at hospital and they told me it was fine and just fibrostic so not to worry about it However, earlier this Summer I noticed the skin by the lump start puckering and dimpling so I got it re-checked and thats when I got the devastating news.

The scans showed it was 2.3cm grade 2 so I had a lumpectomy in August. However, they didn't get clear margins and the tumour was found to be much bigger at 6.5cm and grade 3! I therefore then had to have a mastectomy, which I had wanted initially but they told me that was too drastic, so I was more disappointed I had to go through another op.
I opted for surgery prior to chemo as I got married on 12th October and wanted the day to go ahead as planned with full head of hair etc.

My tumour is HER and ER positive so after chemo I have Herceptin and Tamoxifen to contend with. Despite the size of my tumour luckily there was no vascular invasion and my sentinol node biopsy cameback clear so fingers crossed all the cancer has now been cut out and I'm just having chemo to stop re-occurance.

I am on FEC-D chemo, so 3 cycles of FEC and then Docetaxol for a further 3. I started my first treatment on Thursday so am on Day 5 now and I have to say it hasn't been as bad as I imagined. Obviously a long way to go, but to all you starting treatment shortly please don't be as scared as I was. The worst thing is the amount of steroids and anti-sickness meds that need to be taken but they really do help as I was only sick once on the first evening. Other than that I have felt generally tired, a bit quesy, been very achy and my eyes have been watery (I wear contact lenses). Yesterday was the first day I felt good enough to go out and also was able to wash my hair. Constipation has also been bad after the Ondastron anti-sickness but Lactulose from pharmacy works well.

Good luck to all you starting treatment.

Love Kim xxx
Camper1970

Hi sal
I am glad you had a dishy doc, mine on Friday was for an appointment re chemo waited 1hr to sign a form and go through some notes on chemo, I have to go back on Friday 15th to see e chemo nurses etc, and treatment to start on the 22nd, glad I have had a date, at least I can make some plans, have decided to go back to work for a little while for sanity more than anything, when you have so much time in your hands to think it does your head in.

Let's hope you get your dates soon, if not already heard, fingers crossed for the dishy doctor again, at least you have some eye candy to look at, ha ha, have they told you how many sessions you need to have.

Good luck keep me posted

Hugs nic 😊
alabamasam

Ah bless you Sal doing school run tomorrow. I hope it all goes well for your treatment and hopefully we will hear from you afterwards
Huge hugs
Sam xxxoooxxx
Nanny_Sal

Thanks Lizzy, good luck to you to. I have a school and nursery run to do in the morning first, which hopefully means I won't have time to worry about things. I'm currently feeling okay! Hope you are too!

Sal xxxx
Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks Sam and also Lilginge!

Sal, good luck for tomorrow!

Lizzy xxxxx

alabamasam

Lizzy good luck for tomorrow, will be thinking about you xxx
Big hug Sam x
lilginge

Hi Emma and Lizzy, welcome to the Nov ladies! Don't always look on here now as we're on facebook so maybe try and join that but if not, don't worry I'm sure we'll all dip in and out to check on everyone's progress over the next few months, good luck for tomoro Lizzy and hope you still feel well Emma, I had my first FEC on Fri and so far so good....xxxx
alabamasam

Thanks Emma hope you are ok xxxx
Sam
ejc01

Thanks for the warm welcome Sam and Sal.  xx  Good luck to you ladies starting your chemo next week x

alabamasam

Thanks Dana and Gilly, I guess at the moment i am just doing as i'm told. I put my faith in the doctor and nurses and if it is a better outcome to take this drug for ten years then that is what i will do
Sam xxx
Nanny_Sal

Thanks Dana and Gilly that's really interesting to hear. I suppose by the time I am through Chemo, Radiotherapy and on to Tamoxifen I can ask more questions. Although I am sure if they think 10years gives you a better outcome, by the time I'm a couple of years in, they might just change it to 10years! That's a long way off right now! Need to get through the Chemo first. Thanks for the 'best wishes'

Sal xxxx
Butterfly318

Will be thinking of all you lovely ladies as you start your Chemo this week.  I have looked at the Tamoxifen research on Cancer Research UK website because my Onc had advised 10years.  The stats are on the website and are looking positive. 

Take Care.  Gilly x

Dana1

Hi ladies

New research suggests its beneficial to now have tamoxifen for ten years, as with most developments some trusts follow new thinking whilst others employ existing policy. Good luck to you all. I was borderline so decided not to have chemo so will be starting rads soon, then tamoxifen and possibly zoladex inj. Xx
alabamasam

yes definitely, i bought all sorts - imodium, oraldene, senakot etc etc....really treated myself ha ha xxxx
Have a good evening and get lots of sleep before Monday 🙂
Sam xxxx
Nanny_Sal

In boots! Thought it was best to get a good and reliable one! Even if I'm only going to use it for a few months (hopefully) xx
alabamasam

Sal where did you but your thermometer from ? I think that is the only thing I've not bought xxx
Nanny_Sal

Hi Lizzy

Of course we will be smiling (even if it's through gritted teeth!) Why??? Because that will be one dose done! One step nearer to finishing 🙂 in my opinion that's one step in the right direction!! Xxxxx
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Sal, completely agree, let's hope we're still smiling come Monday evening. L xx
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Sam! Thanks for the welcome. L xx
Nanny_Sal

Hi Sam

It's a perfect day for that. I am snuggled up in front of the fire. I have changed my bed sheets, been out to buy the last few little bits I needed. Including a new thermometer. Also bought 3 new hats 🙂 think I might notice the cold once I lose my well insulating hair!! I'm starting to enjoy the hat shopping! But not really decided what suits me best yet! Although I am sure, the 4yr old and 6yr I look after, will have an opinion! Could be entertaining. I told them they could choose me a hat or scarf! Hmmmm do they do fireman Sam scarfs?!!!!!

I just wandered about the 10yr dose! Might be worth asking! Xxxxx
Nanny_Sal

Hi Lizzy,

We will be able to compare notes on Monday!! Let's hope we both have a stress free day! Xxx
alabamasam

Hi Lizzy welcome to November
Sam xxxxxx
alabamasam

Hi Sal, having a lazy day on the sofa with my big 5 yr old Alex watching TV coz we can 🙂
I don't know why it is ten years, it is just what they have told me but I'm building up a list of questions for my next apt on the 15th.
Sam xxxxx