cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

November Newbies 2013

Nanny_Sal

Re: November Newbies 2013

Hi Tracy, welcome.

You've come to the right place 🙂 we have all had the same, worries, feelings and concerns as you. But there is always someone on here who is one step ahead of you, who can answer any questions. I am hoping to get back to work tomorrow, after having my first FEC chemo on Monday. I work as a nanny, so school and nursery runs should be interesting. I have been feeling okay, although a little tired at times. But I think for my sanity I NEED to get back to reality. I think whether you work or not is something you have to take a day at a time. I am sure we all have good and bad days.

Anyway anything your worried about, just ask. Someone on here will be able to answer your questions. Most important thing to remember is 'you're not alone' xxxxxxx
Tracy1967

Morning November Newbies, could I please join your lovely 'club'? I had my oncologist appt on Friday and have been advised that I start chemo on the 29th November. My name is Tracy, I'm 46, married with 2 lovely children 13 and 7. I was diagnosed with invasive lobular cancer (llc) on the 18th September and requested a bmx which I had on the 14th October with no regrets - best option for me. At diagnosis I felt totally broken by this terrible disease, it takes everything away which makes you you but it won't beat me! I'm worrying about making sure I have everything ready in advance of the chemo starting, I've been reading through threads getting tips etc. I have long hair and like most of you dread losing my hair. My Hospital offer a gel cold cap which I'm going to try however reading other threads the cap has to fit snug on your head, their caps are all one size so I'm not sure this will work for me. I plan on getting my hair cut to shoulder length on Wednesday ( not brave enough to go very short) . I've been looking around for wigs etc but it's such a minefield and have an appointment on Thursday with Trendo who make wigs (as a backup in case I lose too much hair). My pre op in on the 27th November and I've been told they'll discuss wigs then but it all seems rushed. I've contacted Paxman to see if they'll consider trialling their cold cap in Wolverhampton hospital and they're calling me on Wednesday to discuss this as I understand they get reasonable results, as does the penguin cold cap. I'd be very interested to hear from anyone cold capping re how it's going and what kind of cold cap you're using. When out and about I'm quite a personal person and don't want to draw attention to myself so I'm hoping the cold cap will help with normality on school runs etc. Also how are people getting on re working? I'm a home based IT support analysis so won't need to go into an office etc but worry about the tiredness. I guess it will be ' suck it and see' approach.

Love to you all

Tracy XXX
Nanny_Sal

Morning Janey

Hope you managed to 'enjoy' your holiday. Try not to worry too much about the Chemo, I'm almost a week on from first dose, and it wasn't anywhere near as bad as I was expecting! Some of the other ladies visited the chemo units before starting. Which seemed to help them 🙂 I didn't have that opportunity, but the Chemo nurse on the day, made me feel very relaxed.

Try and stay relaxed and keep sharing!! Xxxxx
Janey160359

Hello not been on for a while as on holiday. Back now and ready to start chemo Wednesday 20th Nov. Pre Assessment Tuesday. Up early as got the wobbles. Thank goodness I have the support of this forum and my new buddies on FB? It just helps to type how I feel. Have a good day all of you brave ladies
ejc01

Thanks for the support ladies.  Its comforting to know there are other people who understand how it feels and what we're all going through!  xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Emma. I had my first FEC last Wdnesday but decided to have my hair cropped really short on the Monday before as the chemo unit ,nurse said it's less traumatic when it starts to come out if it doesn't come out in big chunks. Cried along with my hairdresser in the salon and cried all of the next day too. No sign of it coming out yet but have my wig fitting next Saturday so hopefully I'll keep most of it til then. Good luck with the shave. It'll be hard but think it'll be worth it xxxxxx
Nanny_Sal

Hi Emma

Sending you a (((((((((((BIG HUG))))))))))) just remember it's not forever! But you are allowed to be sad/angry over your hair loss. I'm guessing I have just over a week left before I'm in the same position! Not looking forward to it, but I'm hoping once it's happened then it's done 😞 I'm sure the children I look after will help me move on! Xxxxx
Nanny_Sal

Glad you love your new hair cut Sam. Fingers crossed the cold cap works and you get to keep it. I've decided not to bother to cut mine. I figure it will upset me to chop it off short. So instead I will wait til the inevitable happens, then deal with it.

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend xxxx
alabamasam

I love my short hair cut, i did have long hair, went to shoulder length but now shorter and now after my short cut i want it even shorter ! My hairdresser says to keep it as it is right now for when it thins but when this is all over i think i'll keep it short, never thought i would say that ! xxxxx
alabamasam

Hi, there is my Facebook link on my profile page or just send me a private message and i can tell you how to find me xxxx
Camper1970

Hi polly yes fec , just having hair cut keeping positive xx
Camper1970

Hi Sam could I be added to the Facebook page not sure what I need to do xx
Betty80

Hi Sam,

I have just sent you a PM for Facebook, thank you xx
Polly14

Hi Camper

I'll be thinking of you too on Friday - are you having FEC?

Its all very scary but its good to know we're not alone and so good to have the advice of those who've gone ahead of us!

big hugs xx

alabamasam

Morning ladies, can i just ask if any of you who aren't already on Facebook want to be added. I've been mad busy the last few days trying to pack in as much as i can before my treatment starts next week and also it seems quite a few hospital visits so don'tr want to miss anyone.
Can you send a private message to me on here and i can then add you.
Hope everyone is ok, feeling fine and not suffering too many if any SE xxx
Sal, hope you continue to feel well.
Love Sam xxxx
Camper1970

Hi Sam not sure about the cold cap didnt know if I want all that as well and the chemo, will have a think going to have may hair cut tomorrow to prepare myself , I feel that will be my hardest challenge to come, but it will grow back and it's worth if to make sure no more nasty C cells are looming , take care 😊
Camper1970

Hi polly hope you are well I am in the same boat just been today to go through what's going to happen I too start on Friday 22, hope its not too bad there are lots of people that are happy to support, it does help to see others experiences, hold jn their and the way I look at chemo is nothing if it protects me from any further cancer cells that may be looming , take care and sending a hug for Friday 😄
Kimben

Yeah don't worry that will be me next week too then as it will be 2 weeks since my dose on Thursday. I too have very thick hair but I think I will bite the bullet and just shave it once the first hairs fall. At least it's a sign the treatment is doing its job!

I'm having terrible pain in my arm from my PICC line. I rang the Triage and I need to take some painkillers but if no better tomorrow it's likely I'll need to go into hospital for checks. I'm getting very paranoid checking for blood clots and things! Xxx
lilginge

Aw Emma, sorry to hear you're feeling sad. I had my first dose last Fri and am wondering when mine will start to shed. I went fur a pixie cut the week before just so it wouldn't be such a shock. Maybe you could try that tomoro while there is still some there? Think we underestimate the effect it will have on us when out hair finally goes, but remember its only temporary and will be back to our full glory this time next year! Big hugs and good luck for next week, xx
ejc01

Hi Everyone, how are you all doing?

Two weeks today since my first dose of FEC and my hair has started to fall out Smiley Sad

There were a few tears especially after seeing the bath covered after washing it.  I have very thick hair, just resting on my shoulders, and I'm thinking I should maybe just bite the bullet and get it all shaved now.  Its just going to prolong the agony of seeing my lovely hair slowly fall out otherwise.

Even though you know its coming, its still a hard thing to deal with.....

Hope you're all coping ok with the side effects.  I've got round 2 next Friday.

Emma xx

alabamasam

Hi Suzy
Thank you for this amazing advice, it is really appreciated and very reassuring.
Hope you are ok
Sam xxx
alabamasam

Hi camper, I agree, it was very reassuring to meet the chemo nurses and see where I will be next week. They even let me try PMA cold cap ! Weird but ill give it a go, I start Wednesday so ill be enjoying this weekend, off to see Depeche Mode tonight
Love sam xxx
alabamasam

Hi Polly, it is shell shocking news but we are all in the same boat here and here for you with a lot of support, advice and hugs. I start my chemo next Wednesday and also will be having 3 FEC and 3 tax followed by radio for 4 weeks and tamoxifen. I am not so worried as I possibly would have been just due to the wonderful women on this forum and on Facebook. We have a group on there for ladies starting chemo in November, if you want to join us there please send me a private message and ill add you.
Please don't try to manage on your own, we are all here to help xxx
Hugs
Sam xxxx
Polly14

Help.....had my mx with LD flap 5 weeks ago. Just seen the oncologist today and I have made the decision to have the chemotherapy. I was really hoping to avoid it as I had a small (14mm) tumour, ER +ve, node -Ve, but my cells were grade 3 and the tests resultsfor recurrence fell in the intermediate range. Now trying to adjust my mind set to cope with the treatment - 3x FEC followed by 3x Tax. Will really need you lot as at the moment I just feel shell-shocked!

I start on 22nd November

xx

Camper1970

Hi also when today to meet the chemo team really nice and put you at ease due to start next Friday flu jab done also and bloods ready to start
Good luck catch up soon

Hugs to all starting chemo xxx
alabamasam

Well, been to see the Chemo suite today at the hospital. Not scary at all, free parking pass for 6 months, lovely nurses and i can take someone with me, even have visitors while I'm there. All bloods done and tests so now just a few more days to wait and then I'll be joining everyone else xxxx
Nanny_Sal

Thanks Suzy for the great advice. Hope you are now well on the road to recovery xxx
suzy52

Hello There,

Just dropping in to wish you all well and hoping your SE's are few and far between as you go through the chemo hoop's. I finished FEC-T back in July and thought you all might like from a few tips to get you through.

HYDRATE this is essential to flush out your systems of the nasties, reducing headaches and constipation some experience. Water is best, but dilute fruit juice is good too.

TAKE IT EASY there are no prizes for carrying on as normal, sadly chemo is not normal and your bodies need all the help and rest they can get. If it feels good do it, but never force it!

EAT LIGHT & OFTEN this will help with any nausea. I found I ate fairly well during treatment , but as many others experienced your taste can change.

TAKE THE DRUGS don't suffer in silence, if your prescribed painkillers, anti sickness or anything else.

NAILCARE if your having TAX I found a product available online from France called EVONAIL was excellent. It's a clear liquid you apply everyday, and it worked for me.

THE THERMOMETER is your friend. Please monitor your temperature. It's useful to understand your 'norm' before you get into treatment, so take your temp in the morning and evening as it tends to fluctuate naturally and everyone is slightly different. If your temperature escalates to 38o and especially if you feel unwell GO TO A&E even if they send you home with anti-biotic's to fight an infection, you've done the right thing, your not wasting anyone's time. Your systems are sensitive, high temperature may indicate your white blood cell count is low, it is ESSENTIAL to act quickly.

GOING HAIRLESS is not so bad! My niece say's I rocked the 'freedom cut' 😄 eyebrow pencils create spectacular eyebrows and my skin felt baby soft.

FINALY, we have all been though so much with DX and surgery for some, others having chemo first. Its no easy ride and I hope I haven't frightened the pants off you lovely ladies, but I appreciated all the advice I was given along the way and do feel for warned is definitely for armed. Just remember we all have an incredible ability to do battle. When people asked me how I was feeling during treatment I would say 'I endure' Now things are getting back to normal, but I'm still being kind to myself.

Take care, You will Endure! 

xoxox Suzy

Camper1970

Thanks Sal hope you have a good day 😃x
Nanny_Sal

Hi Ang, welcome. I am just a few days ahead of you on Chemo, started Monday! Although my chemo day is changing to a Thursday. So might be right in line with you next time. Hope you are continuing to feel okay xx

Camper and Sam good luck with your appointments today! Hope all goes well and it helps you relax a little ready for next week.

Lots of love to you all.

Sal xx
Guest user
Not applicable

The chemo team are really good at your new talk. They show you around and answer all your questions no matter how trivial. Make a note of things you want to ask , I remembered loads when I got back home. Good luck, you'll be fine. Stock up on plenty of ginger biscuits and ginger beer, they really do help with the nausea (((hugs))) xxx
Camper1970

Hi Ang

That's good to know I am due to start chemo next Friday and not looking forward to it, I am off to the hospital tomorrow to meet the chemo team which I hope will put my mind at rest, just want to get if started, so I know what I am up against fingers crossed

Thank you 😊

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi ladies. Nice to meet you all even though it's not under the best of circumstances.
I had a lumpectomy and bilateral mammoplasty at the beginning of October following a routine mammogram. Biggest shock ever as I had no symptoms. My tumour was grade 3 triple negative so was advised 6 cycles of FEC-T to be followed with 3 weeks Radiotherapy.
Had my 1st chemo yesterday and was petrified. The actual chemo was fine. I got a raging headache and nausea later in the afternoon which lasted til this morning. Things eased during today and I feel fine tonight.
So anyone worrying about going for their first cycle try to relax and it's really not that bad

Luv Ang xx
alabamasam

Hi Tadpole, I've not started Chemo yet, i start next Wednesday and will also be having FECT then radio for 4 weeks followed by Tamoxifen for 10 years. I've been to the hospital today for an ECG and Echo and then tomorrow back to the hospital for an apt with my oncologist presumably for the results for today and consent and a nosy round the chemo suite.
Not bought a wig yet, need to ask about my voucher tomorrow but i did go and have my hair cut short yesterday and i do quite like it. I'm having cold cap when i have the chemo so hopefully i'll hang on to my hair but didn't fancy finding long hair everywhere so therefore had it chopped.
There is so much support on here and on Facebook, i think i would be in a blind panic without this forum and it is so good to talk to others going through the same thing. Its good to look at the October ladies thread on here too as they are all at least 2 treatments in so you can read about their side effects but they are all doing really well, only a few down days and that is so reassuring.
Good luck and glad to see you here with us x
Sam xxx
Nanny_Sal

Hi Sam

Just wanted to wish you luck with your ECG appointment today. Nothing to worry about. Compared to what you've already been through, this is a breeze! My only issue was my affected breast is on the left so lying on the side and being poked and prodded with the scan, wasn't much fun! But the doc was very sweet and told me to shout if it was too uncomfortable. But it was fine.

Good luck hun. Xxxxxxx
Nanny_Sal

Hi Tadpole

Good luck with your Oncology appointment. Let's hope you start the chemo soon. I promise you that for lots of us the anticipation of what 'might be' is far worse than the reality. The staff are so well trained and supportive (I hope they are in all hospitals) so they listen and understand all your fears. I think the trick is to ask as many questions as you NEED to. Don't ever think it is a silly question, if it's bothering you then it's important!

Remember even if you get some side effects, they can give you so much stuff to help! So don't be afraid to ask. What we are all going through is horrid, BUT we will all look back in a few months time, and be proud that although we were scared and upset, we made it. We came out the other end with our lives back, and whole new group of supportive friends 🙂 ((((((((((((BIG HUGS)))))))))))) to get you through today Hun.

Sal xxxx
Tadpole

Hi everyone, I hav'nt been keeping up with November events, but you all sound so positive and
Soooo busy! I between chemo (well done) buying hats, wigs, bandanas, medicines, flu jabs - I wonder
If men would be writing similar tales. Most of you seem to have started chemo or have a date. I only
Get to see my onc for the first time tomorrow. Had second op, ANC on 1st October. Sounds like
There are other tests to go through before chemo, reading the posts here. I found the news that I
Had to go through chemo and rads very tough. I went down hill and have been having amazing
Support from a cancer charity. I am in my 60s and just can't believe this is happening. Anyway reading
The various messages, from daily life, to first chemo reactions is reassuring and you are all being
So amazing. Think I am having FECT and 15rads, will know for sure tomorrow. Good luck and best
Wishes to you all xxx
Nanny_Sal

Hope you are doing okay Lizzy. Hopefully you'll be on here soon letting us know how your doing.

I'm having a lazy sofa day 🙂 then off out for a meal tonight with a family friend. Although at the moment I have no appetite. But luckily I can afford to lose a few pounds, so I'm not overly concerned. I am eating, just not much and not really enjoying it. Heartburn is not fun! But don't think I can complain, as if that's the worse SE I get, then I am very lucky.

Hope everyone else has a good day. Good luck to those of you with hospital appointments today. Hope all goes well. Lots of love to you all.

Sal xxxxxxx
alabamasam

Thanks Sal, glad you made it to your parents. Make sure you gets a lot of rest, take advantage of their hospitality ! Drinks loads of fluids and stay well xxx
I can't bring myself to tell Alex just yet that this will be happening again but yes there will be a big treat hiding in my bag for afterwards. When we got home he said to me now you won't die if i get sick, i felt so awful. He knows more than he lets on, he listens to so much and although he is just 5 i think he has been here before. He is now asleep in bed and fine, fully recovered but a little sore from the struggle 😞
He will be fine, they are resilient little souls
Big hugs back to you
Sam xxx
Nanny_Sal

Oh Sam, that can't of been nice 😞 poor Alex! Think he'll need a big treat after the next one! Maybe you could buy something nice to take with and distract him immediately afterwards! Seems so cruel that he has to go through it twice!

Sending you a ((((((((((((BIG HUG)))))))))))

Sal xxxxx
alabamasam

Well, interesting experience going for family flu jabs as Alex is 5 and poor little man was exactly like a cat being put in a bath ! Horrendous experience and what he doesn't know is as he is only 5 he has to go through this again in 4 weeks - I think it can be dad's turn to take him to that one 😞
Sam xxx
Nanny_Sal

Thanks Nic.

Glad you enjoyed getting back to reality for a bit. Its nice to be normal 🙂 but not long now and we will all be back to our normal life's. But a little bit stronger after all we have been through! Also with alot of new and very special friends xxxx
Nanny_Sal

Hi Jo

I am pleased to hear that things went well. Well done you! That's a BIG step in your journey completed 🙂
Now to get better, before your next step!

I am at my parents, and feeling okay other then a bit of heartburn! So I think I have got off very lightly, so far. Long may it last.

Sending you a ((((((((BIG HUG))))))))) hope your back home in your own bed 🙂 xxxx
Camper1970

Hi sal hope you you are okay, I've been back to work today, feeling a little tired but good to see all my colleagues and has taken my mind off the chemo, think I am going to go and have my hair cut short, get myself ready.

Sending you a hug well done 😃
Jolou71

Hiya sal really pleased it's all going well for you. Go to your parents and get spoiled! They'll love feeling as if they're helping and it'll do you the world of good. Writing this from the ward. Op went well have eaten, drunk and wee'd so should be allowed to go home soon!
Nanny_Sal

Thanks Sam

I think the steroids are meant to give you an appetite! But not yet! But I will eat little and often. Have the joyous task of giving myself an injection later today!!!! That'll be interesting! Was easy doing it to the piece of foam at the hospital! Hmmmmm maybe different when it's in my own tummy!! Lucky I have enough fat to pinch 🙂 xx
alabamasam

Morning Sal, this all sounds positive, I would definitely go home for some TLC ! Why not xxx
I think I've heard that you should eat little and often even if you don't feel like it and just drink tons of water. Hope this keeps up for you
Big hugs Sam xxx
Nanny_Sal

Hi all

So I managed to last till 9pm before I started to feel a bit 'icky' couldn't decide if it was because I was hungry or because of the chemo, so I had a couple of dry biscuits and the next lot of drugs, then went to bed. Woke at 4am, felt fine. Then went back to sleep for a few hours. Have now got up had breakfast! Just a small bowl of porridge, which took me over an hour to eat! Just didn't feel hungry and although I don't have a bad taste in my mouth, I don't appear to have many taste buds. It just didn't taste of anything! Odd!

But can't complain. Other than a dull headache, I feel fine and am wishing that I could be back at work. But as they have cover I have decided to go home to my parents for a few days 🙂 for a bit of TLC and to show them that I am alive! I might be 38 but I am still their baby!

Hope everyone has a good day. Xxxxxx
Jo_BCC

Hi Sugar

I have put for you below the link to BCC's publication regarding chemotherapy for breast cancer and hope you find it helpful.  Also our helpline team are just a free phone call away if you would like to talk to our professional team about your concerns.  0808 800 6000, lines open weekdays 9-5 and Saturdays 10-2.

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/treatment-side-effects/chemotherapy-breast-cancer-b...

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

alabamasam

Hi of you Ho to my profile my Facebook link is there but if your can't find it just send me a private message and I can give you my name
Sam xxxx