1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

November Newbies 2013

Nanny_Sal

Re: November Newbies 2013

It's too see if the hardened area is connected to my Lymphoedema IF it is the taping helps promote Lymph drainage! Or at least that's the theory!

Nurse today said we would give it a few more weeks of taping, then she said to ask the Oncologist about it when I see him next week. But she's starting to think it might be scarred tissue 😒 not what I wanted to hear. Feeling really fed up with the whole thing.

Anyway I'll deal with that next week. I've got a busy and hopefully FUN weekend with my munchkins first 😃 they'll take my mind off things.

Hope everyone has a great weekend. I'm sure I'll be back on to catch up over the wknd. Xxxx
Tortoisegirl

What are they trying to achieve using tape?
Nanny_Sal

Hi tortoisegirl,

Glad you feel a little reassured. I think the surgeons/oncologists concentrate so much on getting rid of the Cancer, that they forget that the patient doesn't know what to expect post treatment. I suppose they see hundreds of breasts so it's just normal everyday stuff to them. But for us this is all new, and we need help it in knowing what's okay, and what needs checking!

I just love the way we are told to continue with Breast self exams......hmmmmmmm.....but my Breast feels different from one day to the next, and certainly doesn't match the other Breast! So honestly unless there was a VERY noticeable lump I would have no chance, spotting anything.

Luckily we have each other to compare breasts with 😉 sounds like we are all experiencing the same thing. So I assume we are all doing okay 😃

Hope everyone has a good day. I'm back at hospital today, to have my Breast taped up again. I'm hoping it might help improve things, but not sure it will. So frustrating because the rest of my breast feels okay...it's just that one area, which makes my breast look an odd shape. 😔 xx
Tortoisegirl

Hey ladies, i havent really posted on here as I tend to post on Sam's facebook page but I was looking for some reassurance and youve just given it me.
My boob feels firmer round where i had my lump removed and under my arm where i had my ANC i feel abit unsupported not seen a Breast care nurse yet and i finished rads in August!
Tazzles

Sal, my booby feels very lumpy and still very tender but like Sam I am trying to believe it is normal as that is what my mammogram said. I still can't help worrying though. The whole area hurts including ribs and armpit. I see the surgeon in April so will find out if its normal. Off to yoga now xx

alabamasam

Sal mine feels the same. I was told it was scar tissue but it's quite large & solid. I had s mammogram & was told it was normal so I have to accept that I am ok.
Sal sounds like the kids are as happy to see the back of their parents as u are !! Sounds like you are going to have a lot of fun while they are away, let's hope your cold disappears quickly & doesn't interfere.
Tara your group sounds great & that retreat also sounds fantastic. I never had anything like that or heard about it either. Enjoy 😄
I've been shopping at Cheshire oaks today. Bought a top & some boots. Just having an hour sit down before it's time to pick Alex up & take him swimming
Hope all is good
Love Sam xxxx
Nanny_Sal

Thanks Jane, yes think that sounds like mine too! I think I just find it frustrating because I have a more visible lump/hard area now, than I did before treatment! Although I suppose I have to appreciate the fact that this lump/area isn't going to kill me! Lymphoedema nurse is doing the special taping in the hope that it might help and break down the hard area.....but honestly not sure it's going to do much. Maybe if it had been done right at the beginning it might of helped!! But that's life xx
Willow1

Tara, you session sounds very interesting and supportive and as you say it's a shame these things aren't there when we need it the most.  However, looks like you have found a way forward and you must let us know how you get on.

Sal, my lumpectomy boob is very hard in places and my oncologist said it was fibrosis as a result of the op and radiotherapy.  The trouble is that I can't tell what is normal or not. It feels a bit hard and rubbery if that makes sense.

xx

Nanny_Sal

That's great Tara, it's amazing how you find out about things, after the event!! I'm still waiting for my BCN to pass on info about support groups for ladies still dealing with the after effects of BC treatment....like Lympoedema. She said she would look into it for me! That was over a week ago 😳 Obviously not high in her list of prioritys. So think I'll just look on line myself.

One question for all you lovely ladies who had a lumpectomy, what does your Breast feel like now? I only ask because I have this horrid hard area which is not even where the original lump was, and I can't decide whether it's to do with the Rads, or the Lymphoedema. Sadly the so called experts don't seem to know either, which is slightly worrying! So just wandered how 'normal' everyone else's was!

Right now off to post office and to get some tissues....think I'm going to need them! Still determined to have a great weekend with my kiddlewinks. Mummy and Daddy boss should be at the airport by now 😃 time to party!! 🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉 well that's what the 5 year old told me 😉

Love to all 😘 xx
Tazzles

Sorry to hear that Sal. Hope it doesn't last. Take some vitamin C and echinacea.

My Natural Rythms group yesterday was excellent. Such a supportive group of people at all stages of cancer - seven of us in a lovely warm log cabin in the middle of some woods. I am going to a 'Sanctuary Day' in a couple of weeks that they run every so often. I could have really done with this during my treatment but my rubbish Breast Care Nurse didn't tell me about it like she should have. 

Hope everyone else is doing ok.

xxx

Willow1

That's such Sod's law that you get a cold now. Hope it is a mild one and you get to enjoy your weekend. Xx
Nanny_Sal

Morning

I've woken with a sore throat and runny nose! Bloody typical when I'm working the wknd! Hopefully it'll be a nice quick cold.

Hope everyone else is doing okay, and having a nice week. Must admit the nice blue skies help to lift your spirits 😃

Love to you all xxxxx
alabamasam

That is fantastic Sal, well done to him ! You must be so proud. It's a gorgeous day here, I've just been to mums to change her bedding & make Her lunch after is done a big shop at tesco. Didn't do much this weekend but we did go for a meal at pizza express to see what it was like as Gaz has an interview for a general managers job there next Monday.
Not much more to tell you ☺️
Happy Tuesday everyone
Love Sam xxx
Willow1

Awwww - that's amazing. My children were terrified of standing up in front of an audience when they were little so that's a huge achievement for him.  Glad you are on the up Sal, let hope the predicted warm weather at the weekend will help sustain the mood - I know that when it is warmer and I can get out and about more I feel much better.  So in that spirit I will gladly take the dogs out now (and avoid the puddles of mud).

Love to all xxx

Nanny_Sal

My little man came 2nd 😃 The lady judging said he was amazing, especially for someone so young. 😃 I was amazed by all of them. They stood up on their own, and recited a poem in front of all the lower school, and parents and the judge! They were all so confident. But I was super proud at the comments she said about my Noodle! 😃 Also very proud of myself, as I didn't cry!! Which going on my emotions lately, is pretty impressive!
Nanny_Sal

On the up......might be pushing it. But I am trying hard to not over think things. Which is difficult when I'm feeling so rough! Have appointment with Oncologist next week. Plan to go with a list of questions/moans 😉

Tara your group sounds interesting. Look forward to hearing about it.

Hope everyone else is okay.

Lots of Love xxxxxx
Tracy1967

It's lovely to hear you're on the up Sal, sounds like you've had a good weekend and have a lovely weekend planned with the children. You must feel so proud that one of the children has been nominated for the poetry trophy, it's lovely when they get the recognition they deserve. Movie night sounds like fun, hope you're providing popcorn 😄

Tara the Natural Rythums group sounds interesting, look forward to your update on Wednesday XXX

Hope everyone's keeping OK
Love to you all
Tracy XXX
Tazzles

Hello everyone. I'm glad you had a nice weekend and the coming one sounds fun too, Sal. I am working this week but on Wednesday I have my first session at a 'Natural Rythms' group which is a kind of support group which runs for people who have had cancer. I'm not entirely sure what it is about but I believe it aims to get you back in tune with nature so I'm looking forward to it. Will update on Wednesday!

Love and hugs xx

Nanny_Sal

Hope everyone had a nice weekend.

Mine was pretty good, enjoyed meeting my friend. We had a good laugh, which is exactly what I needed. Then yesterday I had a PJ day. Thought it might be a good idea, as I am working now until Sunday evening! My bosses are away for a short break from Fri to Sun. So just me and the children 😃 the children are VERY excited. They love it when mummy and daddy go away (me too!!)

So I'm hoping to take them out for a day in Brighton on Saturday. Then a movie night when we get home (if we aren't too late) then not sure about Sunday yet. But I'm sure we'll find something fun to do.

I'm off to watch my youngest charge in his poetry competition tomorrow. He was chosen as the best boy in his class at reciting the poem he learnt in half term. So now has to do it in front of parents, and headteacher and possible win the trophy!! He is very good at it, and so excited about doing it in front of us all 😃 I am SUPER proud ☺️

So what's anyone else up to this week?

Lots of Love to all xxxxxxxxxxx
alabamasam

Ha ha of course 😜
Nanny_Sal

And we blame the weight gain on Tamoxifen 😝
alabamasam

Or carrot cake !!!! 😄😄😄😄 enjoy xxxxxxx
Nanny_Sal

I like your thinking Jane....plus if I had say a strawberry cream tart, that would also be one of my five a day! So a healthy option 😉 xx
Willow1

Hi Sal, enjoy your afternoon tea and cake - you can compensate for no chocolate by having a slice of something else that's extra large (no rule breaking but double the satisfaction!). Xx
Nanny_Sal

Me too Tracy, I'm a bit pee'd off that the BCN didn't mention that this could be what they'd suggest! They must of had other ladies who have been referred! I just hope once it's done I can finally start to move on. I'm sure the abnormal bleeding (as they call it) is just the return of my periods, which they say can happen! So
I do feel they are being overly cautious......but have to admit, getting a little reassurance that all is good down there, will be good.

Hope you are well?

Hope everyone has a good weekend. I'm off for a cuppa and cake 😉 with a friend this afternoon! Have given up chocolate and crisps for lent 😳 so cake choice has now halved 😝

Lots of love to you all xxxxxx
Tracy1967

Oh Sal I really thought you'd come back online and say they're monitoring you. As Janes said they're being extra cautious and you'll know 100%. I think I'd want to be out cold too for the procedure. Thinking of you, try and have a lovely weekend XXX
Nanny_Sal

Thanks ladies, I'm not really that concerned. Just a bit fed up with having to go through yet another procedure! I know they are just being cautious, and so long as I get a definite answer at the end of this then I don't mind.

Sam the procedure is a camera through the cervix and then they expand the uterus with fluid, so they can have a good look. Then they'll take biopsys. I'm also due a smear test, so he asked if I would like them to do that while they were 'there' so to speak! I told him if anything needs doing, then just do it and I'll enjoy the sleep!! Reached the point that if I don't laugh about all this then I'd cry......so trying out the making light of it for a bit. I'm sure that will change as the date gets nearer.

Apparantly the hospital I'm going to has a day unit that does this procedure under local anaesthetic! Not sure why I wasn't offered that choice! Although have heard people say that it can be a painful procedure, so think I'll stick with the GA!

Thanks for the hugs! Xx
Tazzles

Oh Sal, so sorry to hear you have to go through this. Sending love and hugs. xx

Willow1

Oh Sal you must be feeling fed up. I'm sure they are being ultra cautious. I have a friend who has had BC and she too had to have a hysteroscopy to check her out as she suddenly had bleeding after several years of no periods and it was all fine. Big hug. Jx
alabamasam

Flipping heck Sal, can this not be done with keyhole under local ? I'm sorry you have to go through more but at least it will either show or rule out whatever is causing the issue.
I have been swimming for the last three days but today I joined in with an aqua aerobics class & found it was definitely not for me, swimming 50 lengths is definitely preferable !
Feeling a bit rough this evening so may get an early night, no plans for tomorrow other than taking mums car for its MOT & taking Alex swimming in the afternoon
Sending big hugs Sal xxxxx 💗💗💗💗
Nanny_Sal

Hi All

Hope you are all having a good day.

I saw the Gynaecologist this morning. He asked me the usual questions, I listed all the drugs I'm taking.....suddenly realised that that list is getting longer and longer. Then he said we'll need to have you checked out, just to make sure it's nothing serious! So I'm booked in for a Hysteroscopy on the 26th March 😒 under General Anaesthetic. I just hope this will be the last procedure I need!

Feeling VERY fed up.

Hope you all have a lovely weekend. Xxxxxxx
Tazzles

Lovely to hear from you, Lovewine (love the name by the way!). I'm glad that reading our posts has helped and I hope you are doing ok now nearly a year on. Thanks for your info too Sam, glad to hear it is helping.

I'm really trying to deal with things myself and had a massage this morning which really helped but if things get too bad again I will definitely talk to my GP again armed with the information of what others are taking for their depression/anxiety. I think with me it is more of an anxiety things which builds up and builds up and then it turns into depression as I get so exhausted from it!

Just got interrupted by one of my dogs puking on the floor. We just got back from an extremely muddy walk. Sorry yours was so eventful yesterday, Jane, but it did make me laugh.

Lots of love and hugs xxx

June_BCC

Dear All

Just sending you all a gentle reminder about our daily Live Chat service - Talk Together. This is a private chat room where you can talk to others who are also facing breast cancer in confidence. 

Talk Together takes place every weekday from 12.30 – 1.30pm and will not be moderated or accompanied by a nurse. If you would like to register or find out more information then please visit http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/…/someone-…/talk-together. We hope that you enjoy using the service and that you find it helpful!  

Thank you.

June, moderator

alabamasam

Morning Lovewine, good to hear we have helped you along 😊 I'm in several other monthly groups on Facebook to help with advice. Ladies the tablets I take are called Sertraline 50mg. They have really helped me so maybe worth a mention next time you see a GP ?
Well I nanaged over an hour swimming today so over 60 lengths. I'm knackered now but just nipping home to dry my hair and put on some makeup so I don't scare the public & I'm off out to do some shopping for mum.
Jane omg that walk sounded dreadful but good for u for carrying on, I can imagine your daughters face, so funny - sorry. I wud love a dog but on Sunday we went to Delamere Forest & Alex fell over in the mud & we had to actually go and buy new clothes for him !!! I said to Gaz can you imagine if we had a dog !!! It was so muddy
Anyway better go and get ready
Have a good day everyone
Love Sam xxxxx
Nanny_Sal

Apparantly mud is good for the skin Jane! 😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃 Sorry but I couldn't stop laughing, I'm wandering if it improved the hair at all? Because if it did I will definitely try it 😉 As for embarrassing your daughter, that's just cruel........but funny 😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃

The little girl I look after came into the kitchen yesterday with her school diary, she said Sal I am soooooooooo embarrassed! I asked why, and she showed me her diary. She said Look what Daddy did! He had written Daddy's B'Day in her diary. She was mortified, she then turned away and said out loud, I just pray he hasn't written anything else to embarrass me 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀 I had to hold back the laughter, she's only 7 and already getting embarrassed by her parents. Kids have such a tough life! Xxxx
Lovewine

Morning everyone, i am from the April 2014 thread, have followed your posts regularly- really helped when i was beginning everything! Just wanted to say i am on Citalopram which was prescribed at time of diagnosis to help with my anxiety! They are very good and have no side effects, am still on them now- might be worth asking, good luck to you all, i will continue reading your posts as i have done for past year😄
Willow1

Sorry Tara and Sam, I have only just seen your posts.  It seems like we are all having physical side effects which is not what we need is it.  I have gotten terribly low at times, it's so horrible isn't it.  I am coping ok at the moment but if I nose dive again I will consider medication so will be interested to know what you are being prescribed.  

Sending big hugs to you all,xxxxxxx

Willow1

The headaches will improve once your iron levels get back to normal but I know what you mean about tha feeling of one thing after another.  It is such hard work keeping on an even keel emotionally when you are feeling physically below par all the time. I still have aches and pains but the oncologist said it was to be expected considering the barrage of stuff we have had to contend with which makes me less paranoid but I do get fed up with it nevertheless so I really get why you are fed up Sal. 

Thank you for wishing me a good walk.  Well, I went with a friend and it was full of disasters!  First of all I had my two dogs on a lead and another dog leapt over a wall from its garden and my dogs pulled towards it excitedly and I fell flat on my face in a huge muddy puddle!!  I was absolutely covered - the mud was in my mouth, up my nose and in my hair. My jeans and jacket were soaked through and I looked like a hippo that had rolled in mud! My friend gasped in horror and then saw the aftermath of the fall and could not stop laughing.  I continued on my walk for an hour dripping with mud, ever the stoic.  I ache a bit this morning where I fell flat on my face!  Next my friends dog caught a rabbit which was horrible and then we were accosted by 3 big dogs running loose.  So all in all an eventful walk. I didn't have time to change before picking my daughter up from the bus stop and decided to embarrass her by getting out of the car and greeting her off the bus. The look on her face was a picture, she couldn't wait to get me back in the car.  So today I am going to take it easy on my walk with the dogs and go a different route.

Jx

alabamasam

Tara I'm out at the mo but when I get home I'll let you know. I dI'd check the huge instructions that came wth them & it didnt mention tamoxifen but my bro had these & is on warfarin & they made him I'll so obviously it is ok to take them & I do feel better. Just off swimming xxxx
Tazzles

What kind of anti-depressants are you on Sam? My GP said she didn't want to prescribe me any because she has heard that they can react with Tamoxifen. I know there are loads of different types though and think she probably just couldn't be bothered to research it for me. I'm still struggling with feelings of anxiety and depression a lot of the time. I know I am always more depressed in the winter so am hoping that once spring has sprung I'll feel better. 

Big hugs to everyone. xxx

alabamasam

Well I start my day with two paracetamol, 2 profen & an anti depressant !!!! I can't reakky function without the painkillers first thing as I wake up ever day with a banging head. I didnt used to 😳 it's good to moan first thing. Sal why don't you ask for some snti depressants only as I do feel better now I'm taking them. I've had them for about 6 weeks now & Gaz has even noticed the difference xxxxx
Nanny_Sal

Thanks Jane, light headed feeling is now gone, but have a constant niggling headache 😞 it just seems it's one thing after enough!

I'm starting to think that things are never going to get back to normal. The Breast taping I'm struggling with, it's causing pain which I'm sure it shouldn't 😒 nothing seems to go to plan with me 😒 just bad luck? Or am I doing something wrong?!

Hopefully appointment tomorrow will say all is normal in that area! That will at least be a step in the right direction.

Just feeling really down, that at the end of this month I am a year on from the end of Chemo and yet I feel worse now, physically and emotionally than i did then 😢

Sorry to start the day on a moan. Xxxx
Willow1

Hi Sal, I know what you mean about being light headed. I felt dizzy and sometimes felt I was floating away (not in a nice way). Once the tablets kicked in I noticed a difference but it took a while before I felt fully back to speed. When I was having chemo I had to have a blood transfusion as I had low blood count - I knew I was heading that way as I got all the classic symptoms, tiredness, lightheaded, breathless and generally washed out. It's a nuisance, but good side is that it does improve so dont despair. Jx
Nanny_Sal

Hi Jane, yes I'm taking iron tablets. Been on them for about 3.5weeks! But the feeling light headed has just started today! I was starting to think things were improving...but not quite yet! I'll see how things are tomorrow and if no improvement I'll try and make another appointment 😕 it's just never ending.

Enjoy your walk xxxx
Willow1

Hello everyone, you all seem to be having quite a time of it!

Sal, I was anaemic a few years ago when I had heavy periods and I was put on mega large iron tablets.  It took about a month for them to make any difference at all and I used to look and feel really washed out all the time. Are you on tablets? 

Sam, your day sounds similar to mine, except I don't have your worries about your mother.  It sounds like she is slowly improving so lets hope she continues to do so in leaps and bounds.

Jen, it's good to hear from you and it's great that you can moan on here - we all do!  I put semi-permanent colour in my hair and it seems to be alright so far.

Well, I am going to take the dogs for a walk and be grateful that I am doing this (rather than resenting the cold and mud).  It is good for me as I need the exercise as I seem to nibble at things all the time so must stop!! I picked up my new glasses the other day and I have got an appointment this afternoon to take them back - I can't see a thing with them!  They are varifocal and make me feel sick - very frustrating. 

Have a good afternoon everyone.xx

Nanny_Sal

Good to hear from you Jen 😘 see isn't it nice to share your worries! I know what you mean about the delightful sleeve, but as mine seems to of helped, I won't moan about it too much! My breast is now taped up! It's hard to believe that this really helps, but I'll try anything.

Think I might need to go back to docs re: anaemia I've become really light headed today 😕 even the BCN said I looked very pale and not good!!! Good job I didn't go there for a morale boost! 😉

See how good I am at moaning Jen! Now I put on my smile and tell everyone in the real world that life is great 😄 because that's what they want to hear! I aim to please!

Love to you all xxxxxxx
alabamasam

Jen you should be able to use normal hair dye now & quite honestly if it breaks off will that be a bad thing ? I just decided to cut mine all off, bleach it and now both sides are shaved ! I'd never done that before Cancer. Also we are here to moan at !!! Moan away 😄
Today im cleaning my house, sounds rubbish but I really don't mind plus mum managed to make her own tea & toast this morning so I'm off the hook now for mornings which makes life s bit easier. I'll still go round at night to make dinner.
Anyway, I'm must get on, I've almost finished upstairs and then I can sit down for a bit.
Love Sam xxxxxx
FJ

Morning Ladies,

Sorry not posted for a while, started to write a couple of times and then sounded so miserable so I scrapped it!

Most of you have had enough on your plates lately without hearing me moan.

Just been having the usual worries of if its going to come back and thinking what would be normal aches and pains are something more sinister.

Keeping busy at work and of course something to look forward to like hols helps.

Anybody any suggestions re hair colourant?

Mine has come back a very boring salt and pepper grey, don't mind grey and had a lovely steeley grey colour in mind.  My hairdresser is only willing to put a toner on at the moment as she thinks it will break off if anything stronger is put on? Its not growing too quick either which doesn't help.

Sal, I have been using the Kinesio tape on my boob for a while and I definitely think it works.

I hate my sleeve as I think its the most unsexiest thing ever and cannot see me wearing it this summer, that sounds awfully vain but I think you ladies will understand how it's just another reminder etc?

I am still up for  meet with you all, I'm sure we will have a laugh.

Love and best wishes to you all, take care.

Jen xxx

Nanny_Sal

Hi all,

So I saw the new Lymphoedema Nurse, she was nice! Although I am starting to think that nobody really knows what to do about swelling or how your Breast should be after treatment!

I have to go back and see her this morning so she can tape my breast with this special tape! Apparantly it can help with lymph fluid draining. But who knows! Got to be worth a try!

She then told me that the hard area that I have towards the bottom of my breast is a bit odd.....and when was I seeing doc next.....as maybe they would want to check that out??? It's been there since radiotherapy, other nurse said it was probably infection, although this one doesn't and neither did doc! So it goes to show nobody really seems to know! So it's no wander we all spend so much time worrying!

On a plus, my arm has reduced in size slightly....so at least wearing the sleeve has had a positive outcome...long may that last 😉

Now to survive till Friday. I'm dreading the appointment. Not because I think they will find something, because I honestly believe everything is normal, and the bleeding was just my periods returning. But the whole being examined is just not really what I want to deal with right now 😕 but I suppose I just have to remember they are doing it for my own good!

Anyway hope everyone has a good day.

Jen sending you (((((((((((((EXTRA BIG HUGS))))))))))) remember we are all here to listen, and you're allowed to moan!! Let's face it some of us (well me) don't stop moaning 😘😉😋 xxxxxx
Willow1

Good afternoon everybody, just catching up with all your posts.  Sam, I feel for you and have experience of caring for my mother when she was ill and disabled and it is very very difficult isn't it? Of course you want to help but the amount of time and emotional energy it takes up is exhausting and it leaves you feeling very depleted and dare I say it a bit resentful?  However, you are being a fantastic daughter so hold on to that.

Sal, I am sorry you are still having setbacks and I hope on Friday they will be able to put your mind at rest. As Sam said, you don't get rid of us that easily so keep posting and sounding off, we all care.

Tracy, the operation sounds like a good solution to your problems.  I had fat from my back put into my boob 2 weeks after my WLE which has been a great cosmetic result (although if I push and prod it is a bit lumpy and bumpy but been told it is to be expected until it settles completely). 

Tara, I know what you are saying about moving on, it is very difficult to get completely back on track. I agree it is not helped by our altered images - my hair is leaving me less than amused too! Mine is thicker and more wirey but it actually looks so odd to me as I have always had straight, fine, longish hair.  Also my style at the moment is what everyone charitably calls "an inbetween stage" - i.e. a mess! 

Jen, hope you are ok.

Love J xx