cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

November radiotherapy anyone?

blueash
Community Champion

Re: November radiotherapy anyone?

Sue about the tattoos does  not hurt at all. Plus they are so small you cannot see them unless you really peer. About the size of the full stop on these threads.

Flossy03

Sue C - I was actually quite concerned about the tattoo thing, not afraid of needles, just didn't want extra reminders of what I'd been through.  I mentioned this a couple of times and actually my tattoos are tiny, even smaller than a small mole or freckle,  I thought they had disappeared as they are so small and it didnt hurt at all.  I had zap 4 of 15 today, no side effects so far, hoping it will stay that way. x

Cla46

Thank you xx its ok you didn't worry me I just wondered. 🙂 I've just got lots going around in my head at the moment xxxx
Sue C
Community Champion

Hi Ladies

Having scan and markings next Monday. Does it hurt when you have the tattoos? I can be such a wimp at times!!

Sue x

sar54

Cla46 I'm so sorry if my post has worried you Clair. The bone scan is not related to radiotherapy but to Letrozole hormone therapy which I have recently started. Not everyone will have this. It is something my oncologist requests. The rads machine also does xray pictures, I think it is to make sure they are happy with your position for treatment. I assume it is the same for everyone but can really only speak from my own experience xx

Cla46

Sarah hope you don't mind me asking when did you know about your bone scan? Does everyone have one? I remember you saying about having xrays during rads. I wasn't told anything like this at my planning meeting? Lv Clair
sar54

This morning I had a bone density scan in the X-ray department (on time) legged it over to rads, 20 minutes early and went in straight away. Out the door by 10.15, very nice to have the rest of the day free.

One thing I have found very helpful during the last few months is a few minutes of mindfulness, meditation, relaxation, slow breathing techniques etc every day - really helps with any anxiety or discomfort before and during consultations and treatment. 

One thing Im struggling with though is sleeping. I can nod off but keep waking up 😔

Hope everyone is ok today.

Flopsy

Hi Everyone,

A huge thanks to the ladies who are having rads or finished rads and posting their experiences here. It's making me less nervous.

Had my appointment with the Radiology consultant earlier this week. It's 15 sessions for me plus 5 boosters. so 4 weeks treatment in total.

Going into the clinic tomorrow for a CT scan.

Shouldn't be long until I start. Was hoping to delay until after Xmas as I am still recovering from chemo and surgery but the consultant said he didn't want me to wait that long.

Here goes... eek.

Cla46

No I don't mean excited I mean relieved. I'm getting very frustrated being home alone and not being able to work or even do the things I used to without becoming shattered! Please someone tell me it's going to get better that I'll get my energy back and my moods will settle, one minute I'm fine the next then I'm really grumpy and short tempered and it usually ends in tears over nothing at all. sorry to rant it's a down day.
Cla46

Morning lovely ladies, I'm actually getting quite excited to start my rads next week it feels like I've been in limbo for such a long time. I'm taking notes of all the fab advice you've been giving. Thank u Sar xx have a lovely day everyone lv Clair xx
Helen13

Morning ladies, how exciting Sar & Flossy that you might get to meet Friday afternoon 🙂 Daffodil hope your appts are more on time from now on but mine have veen very hit & miss with the times too because department is just soo busy. ive had 5 of 15 and skin ok so far but a little tired today but think travelling long way has a lot to do with it. Love to all xx
Chris52

Hi Nov rads ladies, hope you are all doing well with your treatment, I've had my sixth out of fifteen and so far no problems, just wish I could say the same for the tablets, Oncologist has today put me on Exemestane, anyone know anything about it? Good luck everyone. Chris Xx
sar54

Third time lucky daffodil, hope things go more smoothly for you for the rest of the week. Cla46 congratulations on your news x

Flossy03 - no it wasn't your dad, the man next to him! I'm in early tomorrow, 2.40 Friday. 

Best wishes everyone. I'm on number 8, so far so good x

Flossy03

Sar54 I went in at 2.35 -  my parents were today's chauffeurs so I'm hoping it wasn't my dad that you had to climb over!    I was sat on the left, my parents were on the back wall with another man and then maybe it was you that came and sat in the corner?  I'm 2.35 tomorrow then 2.55 Friday.

Ginger not specific for radiotherapy but it does have good healing properties. 

Sarah 

daffodil

Hi flossy. Is the apple and ginger supposed to help with radiotherapy?

Hope you are all doing ok. I had my second today. Not having much luck again as they were running 3/4s of an hour late today so took nearly as long as yesterday. Hoping for better luck tomorrow. Skin ok so far, off to sleep now though as i am really tired. Not sure if it is the radiotherapy or fighting off a cold.

Good luck to everyone for tomorrow. Aileen

sar54

Flossy03 - did you go in about 2.30? I went in at 3.15 but was there early and someone went in at 2.30 near me. Only after did it occur to me it might be you.  I was sat in a corner next to a man who fell asleep and I managed to climb over him without waking him up!

Flossy03

Evening everyone, I've had No 3 today.   So far so good, no side effects yet.   I've been using Epimax morning and night to keep my skin moisturised and drinking loads of water (so much water that I had to stop on the way to the hospital and have a pee behind a hedge - not something I've done since being a small girl 😂) Also been drinking apple and ginger shots every day - not sure if it helps but I really like them and it makes me feel as though I'm doing something positive.   I've got a rota of friends and family to take me to the hospital each day, I'm an hour away from Taunton so I think it helps to relieve the boredom of the drive.  Maybe will bump into one of you ladies at future appointments.  x 

Janey2

Beth I was surprised to be told boosters as well. The month went quickly, although I'm glad it's over now. Get allocating spud bashing duties for Christmas. I'm going to be an online Christmas expert this year.
Lena Mary it sounds like you're really going through it with infection. I had one too but it did clear in the end. Not sure if you've found the same in our area, but their policy seems to be to let GPs sort infections. That said the BC nurses gave lots of reassurance, although you'll have to leave a message! I think Kary was able to start rads with an infection. Take care of you and book some pampering at FORCE. XX
Lena Mary

Hi Clair

Thanks for replying.  It's good to know that we ladies are trying to support each other going through this ordeal.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if Britain would get this Proton Beam therapy instead of radiotherapy.  Been reading up on it and it sounds  great (well, as great as anything can be to do with cancer).

Not looking  forward to starting rads this month.  Breast is very sore with bad infection as the drain was left  in for two weeks.  

I have been reading all the comments about gel, ointment etc after treatment.  Anybody know the most popular and effective? 

Just seen the sun coming through -good omen !!!

Best wishes to you all

Lena Mary

Beth123

Hi everyone

had my first meeting this morning with the oncologist and she was lovely. I have my CT scan and planning meeting this Friday and I'm going to wear my biker boots in readiness for my first ever tattoo!!

Im so relieved that it's definitely a big fat no to chemo, but have 15 sessions of rads and five boosters (because I'm 'only' 44) to look forward to. Will start towards the end of the month and will take the whole of December because of the Christmas period. 

Having to wait longer as the radiotherapy dept in Singleton Hospital is just so busy. Oh and she says parking is a nightmare so I'd better make sure hubby or my dad can take me - at least that way they can drop me off and circle the car park till a space frees up!

i wasn't expecting the boosts, and though it's only 5 extra visits, the thought that it will now take a whole month is daunting. No Christmas or new year partying this year I think!!! 

Sorry for the ramble! 😱😱

Lena Mary

Hi Janey2

It was good to hear from someone in this area.  It cheered me up a bit.  My breast has an infection and though I have used a whole box of antibiotics it hasn't cured it.  Seeing the local doctor tomorrow.  My first rad is 23 Nov but I think it is too soon as I can't bear to touch my breast at all, it is too painful.

Hoping they will delay it in Exeter if I ask.

Lena Mary

Jas58

Aside from my medication I often chew mint gum. The chewing helps produce saliva which controls the acid and mint is always good for reflux. Try doing that if it comes on again? I will get some berocca - haven't used it in years. Was always good for a hangover 😌🍷

Helen13

Morning Jas, sorry you are starting to feel tired & run down. I take a berocca most mornings (if i remember) and find that picks me up but also you need to try to rest as much as you can although i appreciate this is sometimes very difficult as peeps have very busy lives . Thanks for your reply, hope your meds keep acid reflux under control. I don't usually suffer from that but yesterday it came on so suddenly & severely it was very scary. I spent the afternoon on the sofa with a hot water bottle behind my back, another on tummy and my young dog on my lap...he's usually such a fidget and doesn't stay still longer than 5 seconds but he lay still on my lap for 45 minutes!!! I think he liked the hot water bottles 🙂 wishing you all a good day, a beautiful sunny one here in south east xx
Jas58

I suffer from acid reflux so take medication anyway, not been worse as yet. I'm up to 8 rads now and starting to feel a bit run down and tired. Not sure how much of this is psychological though??? Does anyone take vitamins etc?

x

Helen13

Evening lovely ladies, ive been using the same aloe vera gel as sar54 and slap it on liberally straight after rads in the loos before leaving hospital. I feel it cools and calms boob down on long journey home. Using moisturising cetraben cream about 3-4 times a day at home & so far, after 4 rads, skin ok. However today i had wicked really severe hearburn or indigestion that affected chest ,tummy & my back & i had to come home from work early. I took rennies & painkillers and it eased off after an hour. I googled at home & saw on 2 nhs sites this listed as a side effect of chest radiotherapy. However i mentioned to radiologist tonight & she said probably due to stress but to mention again if i have another attack. Has anyone else had this? Hope you are all ok. Xx
sar54

The BC nurse suggested aloe Vera gel from Holland & Barret but the radiologist said since it's not 'pure' it won't moisturise sufficiently and gave me a tube of Epimax cream. No problem using aloe Vera gel as well if I think it helps but the main thing is to moisturise with the cream.

i hope everyone here feels comfortable moaning, sharing, laughing crying...whatever it takes. Like many of you I've been up and down and a bit all over the place at times. Couldn't have managed without the support here. Love to all xx

Cla46

Hi Lena Mary
you moan as much as you like that's what we're here for. It's hard if you've not felt right for a long time, my journey started in late June and I've only felt half human this week just before the rads start 🙂 we all have good and bad days and you'll find a very supportive bunch here. Have you spoken to.your Bc nurse about appetite I'm sure they could help? ill get some gel Kathy and see how it goes trouble is I'm so sensitive to things these days and I daren't get a plant as I'm rubbish at keeping them alive. Have a restful evening everyone lv Clair xx
Janey2

Hi Lena Mary
I'm cheating really, as I finished rads on Monday but couldn't resist saying hi to someone from Exeter. The team at RDE are busy but kind. Definitely some down days for all of us. I'm sure you have already had the FORCE info but do go along if you haven't already. I chose reflexology for my alternative therapy and it's a real treat. There is also an acupuncture group and a look good feel better course regularly. Apologies if I'm telling you stuff you already know but it's been a haven for me the last few weeks.
Kathy, I've used aloe gel straight from the plant for a long time, especially on OH's head when sunburnt! I've never noticed any staining.
Xx
Kathy68

I'm using aloe vera gel at the moment but have also been given an aloe vera plant. Seem to remember hearing though that the milk/cream from the actual plant can stain clothing/bedding - anyone know if this is true?

Keep going ladies, you're all doing so well in your journeys x
Lena Mary

Hello Daffodil, ladies

Hope it's ok if I join your conversation.  I am starting rads in November too in Exeter.  So nervous as everything to do with my operation seemed to go wrong.  I am on so many different tablets for the pain that I don't want to eat.  I feel full up all the time.  My spirits are at zero.  I will stop moaning now as you all appear to be getting on with life and fighting back.  

Good luck to everyone.

Lena Mary

Cla46

Thank you everyone it's given me something fabulous to focus on 🙂 can I ask if the aloe vera is a cream or the actual plant that your using? ive only got E45 at the moment maybe I'll invest in some xxx
Sue255

Hi Kathy I put the aloe Vera on once home as no time to do it there then the diprobase in between and before bed.

Clair, many congratulations. Lovely news for you.

Today again I was late in but then half hour in room as it seems to take a while getting measurements right. My shoulder and arm position seems to create the challenge! Had a few tears after rad today which came out of nowhere. Everyone is so kind so I can't moan about the way I've been treated. 10 down!!
Kathy68

Aileen. I had session 6 today and am a bit pink tonight ! All my sessions are midmorning so I tend to put aloe vera on as soon as I get home and then everytime I go upstairs during the afternoon/evening-so probably about 4 times and then again before bed! Not sure if this is excessive or not!
daffodil

Hi everyone,

Congratulations Claire. How was your second one flossy? - we are almost matching timeframes though i am having 18. Hope everyone else is ok.

I had my first one today and it was ok except that the machine kept breaking so they had to line me up 3 times before they actually zapped me. The whole thing took an hour. Still at least I am now well practised in getting ready!

I feel ok, just a warm boob. For those already stared, how often are you creaming and when in the day. I'm not sure whether to just do it morning and evening, or straight after each zap, or as often as possible??

Aileen x

Janey2

Congratulations! Xx
Cla46

I'm going to have a grandson :-D. He's all healthy and growing nicely all ready for the new year and I can't wait xxxx
Janey2

I love the sound of the "where's Sue" game! Clair are you allowed to tell us if you're having a grandson or granddaughter? X
Cla46

Morning everyone, today I find out if I'm going to have my very first granddaughter or grandson I'm so excited 😄 Flossy I might see you next week when I start my rads. Beth I know exactly how you feel I'm normally a confident person who likes to be in control and it's taken some getting used to putting my life in other people's hands a least we all have each other. Xx Have a good day everyone lv Clair. Xxx
Sue255

Janey, I am so, so pleased for you having finished your rads! Thank you for all the encouraging and supportive posts you put on for us. Have a well deserved rest if you can. Oh and in your own words..... cream, cream and cream!!  X

Helen, I was doing the same and looking out in case you were in the waiting room too. Such a busy place though isn't it. Had my zap and follow up too. Was a bit late again but managed to get train ok. I'm more lunchtime appts now or early afternoon. Hope you have a good week. Sue x

Flossy03

I eventually started today (15 zaps!)   My surgery was 5th Sept so it feels like I've been waiting and waiting.  I just want to get it all over and done with.   My planning meeting was about 2 weeks ago, I was most worried about the tattoo markers but actually they are so tiny I can't even spot them! Good luck with your treatment.

sar54

Hope it all went well for you Flossy, may see you there this week x

Flossy03

I started mine today.   I down 14 to go! 😀

Jobey68

Hi Beth, Nothing is going to have changed from what you have been told since your tests, the oncologist appointment is just to run over the reasoning behind why they are recommending Radiotheraphy and for you to sign a consent form, your breast cancer nurse should be there as well, the planning meeting will be for a CT scan for them to mark you up and set you up for your treatment, totally painless so don't worry! The world will soon be your lobster again honestly! 😜 Xx Jo 

Beth123

Hi everyone

im meeting my oncologist for the first time on Wednesday and I can't quite figure out why I'm so anxious about it all. I think I'm afraid they'll turn around and say 'you know how we said you don't need chemo because of your Oncotype score, we were wrong'. I've been told it's straight to rads by the team in the breast clinic (different hospital from where I'll have rads) but having waited 8 weeks from surgery I just want it to start now and get it all over and done with. 

Is this the planning meeting everyone talks about or is that something different? Ho hum I'm having a fed up day today. Enough already. I've gone from Mrs confident and the world is my lobster, to this anxious fretter surviving on four hours sleep a night. God knows what state I'll be in after a two hour drive every day once rads start! 

Sorry to whinge. I just want to get on, start my rads and start 2017 fresh and somehow get my confidence back. Perhaps I should write to Santa!! 

Thank u for listening. X

Kathy68

Yay! Well done Janey on your last rads -enjoy having some reflexology and recovery time now. Had session no 5 today and all is going well, 15 to go! Fortunate to have friends on a rota basis to take me to appts certainly makes the journey more enjoyable and a change in conversation too, so agree take offers of help wherever you can. Have had so much support through this whole experience from this forum..sending a virtual hug to you all xx
Helen13

Hi Janey, hope you enjoy the reflexology and thanks for all the tips. Please keep posting xx
Sue C glad your appt went well and let us know when you start. Have a lovely evening everyone. ..im in hosp waiting room at mo waiting for rads no 3 xxxx
Sue C
Community Champion

Hi Ladies

So had my appointment today with the consultant who was lovely and she run through the procedure and side effects etc. Will be starting in the next 2 to 3 weeks, after the ct scan and markings, and will be having 15 rads and 5 boosts. I get the extra 5 apparently because I'm under 50 (only just, 50 in Jan !). Not sure why, but happy to go with whatever they recommend. Having mine at East Surrey hospital...anyone at the same?

Sue x

Cla46

Congratulations Janey onwards and upwards much love Clair xxxx <3.
Sue C
Community Champion

Love this Janey, thanks x

sar54

Congratulations Janey x