1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

November starters

hopalong

Re: November starters

My plans to put mad Friday behind me sort of worked, managed to avoid text santa.
My problem now is I'm wide awake listening to the wind, that has woken me up along with my sore throat. Have decided after lying in bed for the last hour getting more frustrated with myself to get up and make a drink. Hopefully this will kill two birds with one stone. Make me sleepy again and soothe my throat.
Hope everyone else has managed a more restful night.

Daffodilli

Waveylocks I am also having chemo first I have a large tumour +others in one breast and signs of ca in other breast. It's scared me a lot that everyone else seems to have had surgery first but I'm coming to terms with my situation. I haven't cold capped in hats and wigs. This is a great support bugs hugs to everyone
Daffodilli

Much better chemo 3 with syringe driver for 48 hrs with cyclizine in it. Was supposed to be on for 4 days but managed with just 2 now up and dressed been out. Very very tired this time. Picc line was good.
hopalong

Happy Mad Friday everyone !!!

My mad friday isn't going to be quite so mad. I am paying for my exertions earlier in the week, and my everythings fine comments.

I woke after almost 12hrs sleep, feeling ok, day 5 post chemo and not nauseous which for me is a first, that didn't last long. A couple of hours later I started to feel sick although granted not as bad as on previous cycles and the drugs have taken the edge off it. What I can't seem to shake is the overwhelming exhaustion I have encountered today. Managed to shower but didn't get further than putting on a fresh pair of pajama's (this simple task took almost an hour itself) I have spent the remainder of the afternoon laid on the sofa eyes nodding. The chemo mouth is starting too toungue furry and sore and no amount of fluid drinking/ice cube sucking is relieving the dryness.

Today if asked I would be saying things are far from fine. It seems the whole world, well alot of my friends will be out and about tonight and I will be sat at home deciding on fizzy water with lime or a glass of full fat pop. I did know that this week would be hard and that I wouldn't pull round untill just before christmas but I underestimated how I would feel. All topped off by a night infront of the TV watching exerts of sick people pulling on the heart strings for the people who have been out on mad friday to phone in and give money. 

I may just retreat back to bed and give up on today and hope tomorrow I have my positive head back on.

waveylocks

Thanks Riverside.....yeah feel more positive 🙂
Thanks Albama....that sounds great to get hair growth on the taxes 🙂 🙂
Still liking my new cut....and it will look after itself...a wash & go do!!!
waveylocks

Thanx hopalong....have ordered some honey....I really like it with lemon :):)
I'm estrogen positive & of course now Her2 positive. I will ring the helpline & have a chat....had a quick phone call to them yesterday but it was close to their closing time. Think what through me was when Oncologist started talking about quality of life. Feel better for a sleep & really no point worrying -it is how it is! Had great fun putting my tree up -it's great to see it all decked out. I love Christmas!! 🙂 So house is now glammed up!!
Hugs & love xxx
riversidedawn

Sounding positive on the hair front Waveyliocks, Hopalong I canny believe you're up and about partying do soon after chemo! I can't function for 5 days. Good for you - get done sleep! X
alabamasam

Waveylocks I cold capped too, had my hair cut short & never needed my wig but I fiound when I started on the docetaxel that my hair started to grow back so hang in there xxxxxxxx
hopalong

I'm having manuka honey daily, I have it in hot water and lemon juice to mask the smell as it makes me feel quesy. I'm only having 15+ got it from supermarket for £15 aprox, still seems to be doing the trick less sore throat and ulcer issues cycle 2 will keep you posted on cycle 3. My oncologist gave me bongela and something called gelclair incase i need it.

I'm herceptin negative, hormone positive. I would give the helpline a call about your results and see if they can clarify things. I thought it was better to be positive for something rather than triple negative.
I'm awake due to a combination of steroids, a small volume of alcohol at my work Christmas party (not seen anyone since beginning of September) and slight nausea. Hopefully we will both get some sleep soon.

waveylocks

Thanks Sam for the advice on mouth ulcers....am on Defflam now 🙂 🙂 a friend told me monuka honey put on the ulcers direct really helps too...xx
waveylocks

Thanks everyone. My hair is now super short & am loving the new style...gave me a real lift as I don't have any straggly locks anymore. Also my scalp has stopped being sore since its been cut....wow...such a lovely feel! So I was on cloud nine until I saw the Oncologist this afternoon. My tumor not shrunk & having being told I'm Her2 negative they've now discovered I am Her2positive..it was so unexpected. So am gutted. They're gonna start the Herceptin at session 4 chemo when I start Doxetacil (spelling!!) three weekly for a year.

The good news is he gave me a prescription for a wig 🙂 Sucess!!! Doubt I'll get a chance to order one until after Xmas.... Oncologist also encouraged me to keep with the cool cap & he says I can have it for all 6 chemos (a nurse said I couldn't) so am going to carry on with cool cap. Thanks riverside & hopalong for your words of encouragement 🙂 🙂
Anyway can't sleep hence the late long post!!! Xxxx
hopalong

P'S incase you can't remember from previous posts I am cold capping. It is easy to get people mixed up. Also I am sorry for you and the treatment you got from the wig people. I have seen 2 different ladies both attached to the hospital and they have been ever so helpful and given me options to suit.

hopalong

Welcome wavylocks. My hair was cut fairly short and asymmetrical pre chemo and I'm on day 2 cycle 3. I agree with you on the loss of hair and you do think there can't be anything left but then you look in the mirror and there is. I have found I lose most towards the end of a cycle, but when I saw oncologist on Thursday we discussed hair and said I should notice a slow down of loss from now on so we shall see. Perhaps it has something to do with the life cycle of a hair follicle. I can't help you with your cap liner question I'm afraid.

alabamasam

Hi Waveylocks, I'm from the Nov group from last year so all treatment finished now for me but I got awful mouth ulcers & found that Difflam mouthwash was the best. It's quite expensive so ask your doc as we can get it on prescription
Love Sam xxxxxx
waveylocks

Sorry typo....meant surviving not serving though maybe the typos better!!!!!
waveylocks

Thanx Riverside 🙂 I've not been too bad once through first 10days. Hairs falling out in handfuls -was not quite shoulder length...seeing hairdresser to cut it much shorter as it's driving me nuts leaving trails of hair everywhere...the amount I've lost am surprised there's any left! But there is! It is very straggly -doubt sufficient for chin Bob but might get away with a short tousle style. However still dropping madly so not sure if I'm just wasting money on hairdressers! Lol. Will bear in mind what you said re second round of cold cap 🙂 to be fair nurse was doubtful it would work on my fine hair & said I would have to wear a lining cap for the cold cap as she was worried about my scalp getting frost bite! Am wondering if that's why am getting so much dropping out. Anyone else had to wear a lining cap for cold cap?
My friends tell me I look fab with my hat (from suburban turbans) 🙂
Hope everyone is serving their second/third rounds ok.
Big hugs to all xxx
riversidedawn

Waveylocks, welcome to our little group. We're a mixture of cold cappers, picc liners, wig/hat/scarf wearers with various drug combhinations and side effects so between us you should find some similarities to yourself!

Personally I say keep going with cold cap! My hair thined after FEC 1 and I thought it would go after FEC 2 but nothing has come out this time and I am 19 days on now! I cut into a long bob so there's enough for a comb over to hide the wide parting, glad I didn't go for a pixie cut. I also have a wig for special occasions, but bought that privately, it's OK with the amount of hair I have, but I hear the suggestion is a cut down pop sock over your scalp to remove itchiness - just be careful not to look like a bank robber!

I haven't had mouth ulcers so can't help you with that. I also lost half a stone after the first dose as I couldn't eat for first 5 days, but they adjusted my chemo drugs and anti sickness and last time I felt much better - just very tired.

I was meant to be having FEC 3 on Friday but it's been delayed due to infection, but hope your's goes as well as can be expected and that the side effects are easier this time. xxx

waveylocks

Hi Everyone. Hope I can join you. Am about to start my second round of FEC-T of six this Friday. Feeling a bit nervous. I do have a PIC line & so long as I keep heat packing it at least a couple of times per day it's fine. Round 1 I had the Emmend & Domperidone & that kept most of the nausea away. I also needed a stomach liner or I couldn't eat or drink. And ate a load of date prunes & apricots to keep me regular. Felt rubbish for about 10 days but picked up after that.
Anyone got any good tips for mouth ulcers? Mine started a week ago....are going now but am worried they will be worse next time.
I did the cool cap....it's not really worked....last four days handfuls of hair dropping....getting it chopped super short today but I reckon it will all drop at next chemo...not sure cold cap is worth pursuing!!! Lol. Have found the hair loss harder then I thought but felt better with my hat on. Keep asking hospital about wigs but never seem to get anywhere...will ask again as am up for bloods & oncologist today So no wig ready & doubt I'll get one before new year....besides which my scalp is sore...happy with my hats 🙂 I hear the wigs are itchy?
Lost about 2-3kilos but put half of that back on now. Looking at my last month if I follow same pattern my sons will be cooking smas dinner this year....there's my silver lining!!!
Big hugs to all you brave warriors 🙂 xxx
Picklepants

Hello Everyone.Glad you seem to be doing better Hopalong.I. Start my 2nd one tomorrow.I have now been able to sit indoors in front of hubby and kids without feeling self conscious,so getting there!Been out and about with my woolly hat and couldn't care less.Riversidedawn,glad you had portacath.I had bloods done yesterday from my Picc line.So easy peasy.Hope you are on the mend soon. Take care everyone PP
riversidedawn

Liking the idea of change if men Hopalong!! Can I change mine?
hopalong

Morning all, another long day due to busyness of unit. Appointment 1030 didn't get chemo till 1.30 ish with cold cap coming off at 3.45pm.
So far so good with change of mens. Have had 2 small breakfasts so far, and have taken med but don't really feel sick but would much rather prevent that debilitating feeling. Going to have my Emmend with lunch. Managed to sleep till 5am too so that was a bonus but am going to snuggle down on sofa now and try to have a nap.
Fingers crossed for Thursday Remel xC

remel

Hope you are ok Hopalong. Thinking of you today. Hope the smoothies work.  I can't really touch fruit and veg, or juice for days after, just white bread, jacket potatoes and porridge. My third chemo now scheduled for Thursday, followed by injections to boost the white cells.  (Thats if the white cells are back up by Wed of course) Anyway take it easy everybody. x

hopalong

Afternoon all had a lovely day catching up with friends just having a little rest before I clean upstairs.  Ive done the kitchen and lounge.  I'm  hoping for an early night tonight as am quite tired I blame myself for staying up late watching an officer and a gentleman last night. Does everyone else like to have a clean up before each cycle starts?  

Riversidedawn glad you are home and feeling ok to post. 

Daffodil a PICC line is the way to go.  I bought a shower sleeve from boots for £4.99 to keep my line dry what do others do?

Todays my last day to calorie load and boost my fibre intake before the next week og only eating breadsticks and rice cakes. My change in meds might help though. I have bought myself a cheap version of the nutribullet so have filled the freezer and fridge with fruit so I might beable to enjoy some homemade smoothies. 

Oh well best get on will let you know how I am doing take care all xC 

riversidedawn

Good luck this week girls. I'm disappointed not to be joining you, worried what happens as there'll be about a 6 week gap between my FEC 2 and 3, but got to get all infection away and wound healed before any more. Daffodil I was sent some interesting self healing stuff by a friend in Hong Hong - I'll post the links when I'm on my PC.
Daffodilli

Booked for a PICC line tomorrow. My arm is still really sore so there is no way Im having chemo through those veins again as Im worried for them longterm. Just got to sort out someone to do the dressings for me weekly

Surrounded by kids with colds, coughs etc at the moment - its only a matter of time. Otherwise feeing good chemo 3 on wednesday.

MRI showed that tumours have shrunk by 7mm after 2 chemos which dosnt sound like much but BCN thought that was good. My shocked brain is now generating lots of questions I think because I was only diagnosed in October then went straight to chemo I havent been able to process the detail. So I have a list for my oncologist who is lovely on Tuesday.

Im really interested in the diet stuff and anything I can do to help myself. My oncologist seemed to be saying last time not to take anything whilst going through treatment however after treatment then she was open to anything.Really interested in the vit C stuff.  Her concern was the interaction with the drugs for treatment.

Riversidedawn hope you are feeling better not so sore, one step forward now!!

Picklepants I will be thinking of you when Im having my chemo on wed!

Hopalong hope yours goes well tomorrow.

To all of you who have just had Chemo hope the SEs are resolving.

riversidedawn

Hi ladies, I back home. All's well. I've got a portcath for my chemo - they won't use it for bloods or anything else, but it makes chemo easy. Even though they're not using my veins for chemo they are very sore and difficult to find for bloods and the IV line I had in last night for the op and antibiotics this morning very painful. Definitely talk to your onc about a line, I couldn't imagine having chemo into a vein.

Hope everyone sleeps well, I didn't sleep in hospital so hope things are better tonight!! X
alabamasam

This happened to me, i had a hickman line fitted - best thing i did for treatment xxxxxx
Testrix

veins seem to be coming to the fore - or not!!  Took my GP nurse a couple of bruising attempts to find a vein that would give up some blood on Weds, then chemo nurse had the same problems when she wanted to get blood for a re-test yesterday morning, then when it came to actual chemo - very painful 'fail' on the back of my hand and so used one on the outside of my wrist... so short staffed yesterday - I'm sure the nurse pushing the F & E in much quicker than the nurse last time didn't help as my vein felt so cold & tight - I think when I finally get to see my onc we may have to have the PICC line conversation.... 

Oh well - 2 down, 4 to go 🙂

Hugs to all

hopalong

Daffodil, as you might remember I had awful problems with my veins during 1st chemo and the giving of the drugs took twice as long and then my stay in hospital and the IV antibiotics made the stituation worse. I found that a heat pack laid over my veins while having my drugs helped I was also given some huridoid cream to rub in which helped with the soreness. My PICC line other than the problems I've had with my dressings is the best thing. I really wish I hadn't said yes to first chemo without it. Taking bloods is painless and chemo administration is so much quicker. When do you see your oncologist next or can the chemo nurses ask about a line for you, I'm sure I wouldn't be able to cope with my chemo days with minimal anxiety if I knew I was going to have the problems of the first session every 3 weeks.

Riverside dawn hope your feeling ok this morning and that side effects are minimal for those who have had their chemo this week, and all being well it will be my turn on Monday. xC

Daffodilli

Oh dear everyone is having issues of one dirt or another. My next chemo is due next week and I'm dreading it because I am so I'll. My veins still haven't recovered from the last dose and my right arm is quite sore at times.
Picklepants I really understand the grief over losing your hair i didn't think I would mind so much but I really did and I stll can't bare to look at myself in the mirror. I wear a wig when I'm out and hats snd scarves in the house because they are comfy.
I hope everyone's bloods improve and chemo comes onto schedule and that riversidedawn is ok post surgery
Hugs to everyone. I'm going to drink wine tonight and forcing my 12 yr old son to go to see Paddington tomorrow as I need a giggle!
remel

Sorry to hear about your delay Riversidedawn and the operation you have got to have.  As Hopalong says we must all keep looking forward to better times ahead in 2015.  Hope the operation goes smoothly.

x

hopalong

Thoughts are with you Riversidedawn, bodies are a strange thing but they can cope with lots, and things will come right I'm sure with alittle patience (that word again). I have a fat lumpy thing at end of my mastectomy scar that I am not happy with but have been assured that this will be tided up when I am ready. Mentioned it again to BCN and said I want it doing after chemo.  Its a long road with many twists and turns along the way but we will all reach our final destination a cancer free 2015. xC

riversidedawn

Hello all, delays are in the cards this week! I'm now going to be a month behind as need op tomorrow to remove infected implant. FEC 3 was due next week but will be put off to new year. Just want to get it done. 2 more ops needed later to resolve it . Keep strong x
hopalong

Afternoon all,

I know we are called patients but 3 hours to see an oncologist and have pre chemo bloods done seems excessive, and my patience was wearing thin, I'm glad I only had to pay for 1hr in the carpark.

Oncologist happy with everything and no changes to be made to regieme will see them again before number 5. I mentioned my nausea issues and sore mouth and come away with extra and an increase in dose of my ondansetron and have added a new one into the mix, and I now have gelcair and bonjela for my mouth. So hopefully that should stop me losing anymore weight according to my scales I have lost 5kg over 2 cycles but clinic scales (wearing exactly the same clothes) put my weight loss at 1.5kg, and there was I worrying about getting fat.

I also saw my BCN and explained I had been having some problems with my prosthetic moving around and the pocket being visible over top of bra cup (even though it fills bra and gives me perfect symetry with my other breast) so she is going to order me another prosthetic to try and then if that doesn't work/does the same thing then will give stick on ones a go, the only problem with that might be the weight of the prosthetic as I am a G cup.

I checked in the chemo unit diary as I left and am definitly booked in for Monday so now we just need to pray to the blood fairys to give me enough neutrophils and white cells as really dont fancy a delay as that will impact on Xmas. Good luck to all xC

Picklepants

Thank you Hopalong and Remel.I have been out and about today and starting to feel ok with it.not brilliant but ok!:) sorry Remel that you couldn't get on with your next cycle,like you say,the upside is have a glass of wine!
Hopalong ,My 2nd one was due this fri but it has been changed to next weds to coincide with when my oncologist has her clinic.I was put out too,just want to get it done with.! Take care all PP x
hopalong

Remel, I'm not having chemo tomorrow either, but it is more my choice as I have asked to go back to Mondays so will have my next on the 15th. Am going to the oncologist tomorrow for the first time since this started, am going to have my bloods done tomorrow too apparently it might be too early so will have a quick blood test done on Monday. This cycle seems to have really dragged. xC

remel

Woops somhow pressed post before I was ready! Then answered the door, finally have come back and can't remember what I was going on to say!! Anyway, hope you see where I was going with that.  

Supposed to be having 3rd chemo tomorrow, but white cell count so low it has been cancelled. Now going to have it next Thursday and then injections to boost the white cells.  Bit down about the delay as really keen to get on with treatment.  However the up side as I will be well enough to get out and about this weekend, hubby sings in a choir and they have a concert this weekend which I can now go to. Plus another weekend of being able to taste food and alcohol, yippee.  Downside is that I will still be having chemo taste and not enjoying food particularly over Xmas.  Ho hum. 

Best wishes to you all

x

remel

Dear all

Sorry to hear how you feel Picklepants. I have pretty much lost all my hair after 2 cycles and still get a shock when I see myself in the mirror. I really recommend Suburban Turban - google them - a brilliant website for hats, turbans, scarves etc. for people with hair loss. I now have 6 of their hats! 2 for bed time!  Really comfy for wearing all day (I am still working so need something that i can wear all day). As I had a fringe I particularly like their hats with peaks.  However despite appearing confident and positive to all who see me daily I know that this is an act I am putting on, aided by far more make-up than normal and a variety of floaty scarves to distract from the lack of hair. However putting on the war paint daily with all the hats and scarves, really does help to make you feel better about yourself.  As for hubby, he is being great and although it is hard to feel attractive, and I know that I would rather he does not have to see this strange bald person I have become, I think to myself that if it was the other way round and it was he going through it I would not be bothered and

hopalong

Morning picklepants I hope you are feeling a little calmer this morning about your hair. You sound as though you have the right attitude to this trauma our bodies and minds are going through. I have days where I feel sorry for myself usually over normal things like today for example I've woken up with backache and a sore throat, but generally I try to stay positive and find something to smile about everyday. Even though we all have friends/family we can share things with there is no better person to understand than someone who is going through it at the same time so don't be afraid to let it all out on here, I'm sure I will at some point before all this is over. My crutches are this forum and my local hospice. I go there and can be myself no one judges If I'm having a bad day and get support, hints and tips on looking after myself while having chemo and bottom less cups of tea.
Take care all xC

Picklepants

Thank you Riversidedawn. I think it's because I have been ok and keep forgetting there is anything wrong with me and then suddenly hit me.I will get there in the end!Take care x
riversidedawn

Oh Picklepants that's rough, feeling for you. Most people on here who have shaved seem to be positive about it and say they feel in control so experiment with your headwear. I'm 11 days or so after FEC 2 and waiting for more of mine to fall out, it's such s shock the first time.

Hang ion there, get some hugs and I'll send you one too x
Picklepants

Evening everyone
Well I was just past 2 weeks on first cycle of Fec and my hair was coming out thick and fast.So hubby shaved it all off Sunday night.I cried and cried.My wig looks awful.I cannot bare my husband seeing me,he says it doesn't matter but I care! I have a couple of bandanas and have worn those.Have been out with friends today and I did manage to laugh at myself!I just have to 'suck it up'.I remembered that my son,who is profoundly deaf,has had a lifetime of people staring at him,so I need to get on with it and remember it isn't forever 🙂
hopalong

Riversidedawn I haven't bought any new scarves and just use ones that are long and rectangular that have been in my draws for ages. Primark do really good cheep and cheerful ones. Only tip would be steer away from silky ones as they slide/slip on your head. I often wear a scarf on those between wash days if I have somewhere special to go, dont bother if just popping to supermarket or round to friends that know me.

riversidedawn

Hopalong, I read that article whilst waiting to see my surgeon today, thank you. I'm about the same stage as you, FEC 2 plus11 days, cold capping and not looking too bad with thinning hair and a wide parting which I'm covering with my comb-over, but if you didn't know me I don't think you'd notice at moment! My mum just asked me what I want for Christmas, and wondered if I'd like "one of those nice scarves" - I cannot imagine myself in a headscarf, I have wiggy at the ready.

My surgeon said fingers crossed that the skin grows over the wound.... that sounds worth all those years of medical training! She said we need to keep it sterile and she'll check it every 3 days, so back to hospital Friday and Monday. If it gets worse or infected then I have to have an op to remove the implant.Can't imagine how we'll fit an operation in between chemo sessions and with Christmas & New Year in the way. She'll then re-reconstruct it afer chemo so that'll be March.

Hope everyone copes with whatever this week throws at them x

hopalong

Afternoon all, There is an article in todays Daily Mail about scalp cooling. It is the system I use donated by walk the walk. I'm now 7 days away from cycle 3 and have had a fair result from it so far with some general thinning and a small bald spot on my crown that no one else can tell unless they are taller than me. I intend to use it again this cycle. I find after the initial 1/2 hour it is bearable but a couple of painkillers as I leave the house for the hospital also help.
For anyone having chemo this week hope your initial side effects are manageable xC

waiting

Hi everyone,

thank you for the tips which are much appreciated  and it's good to know I'm not alone. Sadly still feeling rough. Sent hubby out for sweets and satsumas. Here's hoping for improvement next week. Take care girls. Love Caroline xx

Testrix

hi waiting

Sounds as though your 1st chemo was worse than most - i do hope they are easier from now on.. Like many others, i lost half a stone in first week, but appetite has come back. I walked round the kitchen opening cupboard doors and the fridge and literally asking my stomach what it fancied... a few baked beans, some macaroni cheese, porridge, rice pudding, soft toasted crumpet.... nursery food I guess..

I found that sucking butter mintoes/ werthers/ barley sugars helped too..

I hope the SEs are wearing off a little now..

hopalong

Hi waiting,
I find that 1st week is the worst for mouth issues, my appetite also goes and only eat small kids size portions of things and even then feel full. According to my scales I have lost 5kg in 6 weeks am going to oncologist this week and plan on wearing exactly the same as last appointment so can see what their scales say.
Once first week is over i can eat normally and actually feel hungry and tend to eat things with plenty of calories (ie full fat not light options) but also balance it out with fruit & veg. As I mentioned earlier the things I find cut through bird cage mouth are Aldi cola sweets (found at till point) M&S rhubarb and custard drops (again look near till) and Bassett cherry drops.
Keep going and feel free to drop in again. My first chemo was at end of October and couldn't decide whether to join October group or wait for a November one to start, and sometimes browse the October group to see if I can pick up any tips.

riversidedawn

Hi Caroline,, my taste and appetite disappeared with first chemo and I lost half a stone, after a week I started eating again, and again and again! 2nd chemo no appetite loss, felt nauseous and dry mouth. Earth g lots of Christmassy satsumas which help freshen the mouth.
waiting

Hi girls, just nipped over from December thread as you guys are a bit a head of me. I had my first chemo last Tuesday and had horrible reaction but better now. Back in hospital the following day to get the SE under control. This is day 5 for me and I am still exhausted. Wondering if anybody suffered with dead taste buds and lingering chemo smell and do you have any tips to share re food as my appetite has vanished. Usually fit and healthy and enjoy a balanced diet but not at the moment. Really scared about the next one one the 23rd in case reaction the same. I'm really trying to be positive but my god it's so hard...

Thanks everyone, Love Caroline xx