71.4K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Now Grade 3 with extensive vascular invasion - scared!

4 REPLIES 4
minig

Re: Now Grade 3 with extensive vascular invasion - scared!

Thanks Poems & Stressy. Feeling much calmer today. I've started a new Jan 14 chemo thread as you suggested Poems - hopefully I will have some fellow New Year Newbies along soon! 🙂 xxx

poemsgalore

Hi Minig

I too had VI, a Macmillan nurse told me that it sometimes happens when the blood vessels are severed during surgery. My BCN also said that they don't see it as a significant event, especially when a treatment plan has already been set up. They didn't tell me until after my fourth chemo treatment. But chemo should clear that up. They probably 'red flagged' it because they initially thought you were grade 2 and might not have needed chemo. Now they  know you are grade 3 and have 2 nodes affected, chemo is necessary for you anyway. The best thing you can do, is join a monthly chemo group for support. If there isn't a January one already, start one yourself. I am a February Valentine (Feb 2013) and I don't know how I would have coped without all my buddies. 

Sending hugs and best wishes

poemsgalore xx

stressy_messy

Hi minig,vascular invasion is when tiny cancer cells start to invade tiny nearby blood or lymph vessels or both. I had extensive lympho/vascular invasion and had 1 node with cancer in. I was diagnosed 6 years ago and am as far as I know NED (no evidence of disease). What the Dr could mean by red flag is that it indicates that you will definitely benefit from having chemo. It is quite common to have vascular invasion that's why thousands of women have chemo to blast any tiny cells that MIGHT be on the move.

All the best xx

Lucy_BCC

Hi Minig
Whilst you await replies please do call our helpliners to talk any concerns over, lines open weekdays 9-5 and 10-2 Saturday on 0808 800 6000

Here's a link to the BCC publication 'Understanding your pathology results' which includes some information about vascular invasion' :

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/understanding-your-patholog...

Take care
Lucy BCC

minig

Now Grade 3 with extensive vascular invasion - scared!

I had my post WLE/SNB appointment yesterday and was told that it's Grade 3 not 2 and there is extensive vascular invasion, plus Micromets in 2 out of 4 nodes. I've been really calm since diagnosis but now I'm feeling scared that it's more aggressive than they thought. I am 42 with 2 small boys age 7 & 2. I will start chemo in Jan. Does anyone know what the vascular invasion indicates, as the dr said this was the most important bit of info on the report and raised a 'red flag' which has worried me a bit. Many thanks xxx