Now I join this category

Hi
I started with newly diagnosed with breast cancer, progressed to undergoing treatment for breast cancer - surgery
now joining in here

I recieved my results yesterday 2 out of 13 nodes affected and it is stage the 3 the most aggressive or is that grade I can never remember gradings or stagings

Anyway it means I have to start chemo in the new year, but before I start I have to have a Hickman’s line inserted, looks and sounds uncomforatable but I have such crap veins when I am well that they say this is the best option for access, anyone had experience of these before, i.e. how long is the procedure, does in mean a general or locan anaethsetic. (I hate generals!!!)

many thanks
Linda
XX

Hi Linda

Breast Cancer Care have published a booklet called ‘Chemotherapy and breast cancer’ which contains some information about having a Hickman line, you can read it via the following link:

breastcancercare.org.uk/docs/chemotherapy_07_web_0.pdf

If you have any concerns that you wish to speak to someone in confidence about please feel free to call our helpline on 0808 800 6000 which is open Mon-Fri 9am-5pm and Sat 9am-2pm.

Best wishes
Lucy

Hi Linda

Unfortunately I dont have experience of the Hickman Line but you will find the support on this section amazing.

I am half way through my chemotherapy journey and the support and advice I have received from here has been brilliant, I too had grade 3, 6/14 nodes affected amd have just found out i’ll be on herceptin too for a year, to be honest i’m taking everything they can give me to prevent it coming back, i’ve got alot of life to live!!! Am 31 and have lots of things to do!!!

Take care ad good luck with yor chemo
Mel

x x x

Good luck Linda (and you Mel of course), like you ladies I’ve got a grade 3 cancer, and I’ll be starting chemo in the New Year. Like so many others I am gradually making my way through the various “headings”. What a great comfort it is though to feel that I am in such great company, and that whether we are needing a bit of comfort, or able to offer some to someone else, we are very much all in this together. I never could have imagined I could have got to love this computer so much!!! Good luck to all of you who are having chemo - I’m sure I’ll be asking for advice or sharing my experiences pretty soon! Linda, I looked after quite a lot of ladies who had Hickman lines, it didn’t generally cause any problems and certainly saved the search for elusive veins! Good luck with yours and let us know how you get on. Sarah xx

Hi Linda

I was the same - slowly progrressing through each of the thread - seem to be parked on this one now for a while!

I dont have experience of the Hickman Line, as still on FEC injected into cannula, but I am sure you will get good advice on here!

I am grade 3 also, 5/11 nodes affected. My regime consists of 4 x FEC, 16 rads, 4 x Taxotere, then a year of Herceptin.

I am due for my 2nd chemo tomorrow - the advice I have had on here had been brilliant. Obviously we are all different and will all react in different ways to the chemo (though not so different it woud seem!) but it just helps listening to the people who have gone through it before you.

Do you know yet what chemo you wil be having? Hope all goes well - and that you have a good xmas prior to treatment starting.

Margaret x

Thanks everyone

Margaret not sure what chemo I will be having, I dont have a hormone status yet.

Its my 1st appt with onc tomorrow, so I guess he will answer more questions for me to what kind and how often,

Like you Mel and most people on here I have alot of living to do I am a very young 50 and this is not going to get in my way its just a blip that has to be endured.

Speak to you soon
thanks Sarah
XX

Love Linda
x

Hi Linda

Welcome to this very supportive board. I too have progressed through the catogeries and currently residing here for a while. Have had 3 fec and due taxotere friday. I too had lymph node involvement - 12 out of 28! Ct and bone scan ok though. I am taking this as the lymph nodes at least did their job!! I also will take everything they throw at these little buggers!!! I am her2 negative but hormone positive so tamoxifen for me. I too have alot of living to do - I am 40 with two littlies and want to see them grow up!!

Good Luck for today. Let us know how you get on.

Take care, Love
Anne x

Hi,
I just came here first as having chemo first.
Also have a grade 3, hormone neg, her2+ tumour.
I opted for chemo first to shrink tumour so I could have breast conserving surgery.
Had 3 of 4 EC and after Christmas I an having 4 Tax combined with Herceptin, surgery, rad and herceptin for 9 months!!! Phew that sounds a lot!

Good luck
Jackie xxx

It does seem alot doesnt it Jackie, but we will get through it all.

Just been to see the surgeon cos my breast is full of fluid, (I can hear the fluid gurgling when my breast moves)

now I have a colostomy bag on my wound site to collect all the fluid.

Oh well something else to laugh about when its all over A gurgling boob!!! lol

Linda

XXX

Hi Linda,

Sorry I don’t know much personally about Hickman lines, are they the ones in your chest?? If so, I’ve been in chemo with ladies (and gents) who have these and chatted about them, and they have all been really happy with them, they said it saves so much time, hassle and pain, and can be used for blood test as well as chemo… hope it all goes well for you…

Shannon
x