Now I've been diagnosed with cataracts ....... What next

Yesterday I went for a routine eye test only to be diagnosed with a cataract in my left eye. Apparently this is highly unusual in somebody of my age - 53. I am to be tested for diabetes to rule that out but have been told it could be as a result of radiation exposure, I completed 15 plus 5 top up sessions in November. Am feeling very emotional today, getting through all my treatment was tough and I only went back to work this week. Has anybody any experience of this, dreading losing my sight and having to go through surgery ( which I understand is done whilst you are still awake!) :-((

Hi Dollie

I’m really sorry you have had this dx. I have no experience of this myself but I wanted to say that my mum had ops for cataracts when she was in her late 70s and was fine during it and made a great recovery.

Mary

I also have no personal experience of cataracts but a good friend said that he’d rather have a cataract op than visit the dentist. Several other friends have had the procedure and gone back for the second eye without qualm. I do agree, that having it done while one is awake is a rather daunting thought.

Hi Dollie7293, I think you might be interested in a post under"Going Through Treatment" - “Hormone Therapy” - Re:Arimidex & Cataracts. I read it earlier today and found it very useful as I experience problems with my eyes having 2 eye tests within 18months and the optician said that the hormone treatment can affect eyes.

I experience loads of cloudy episodes where i find it hard to see clearly, and i use my glasses far more than i ever did before. I might contact my optician to check when i am due another one as she suggested yearly ones.

I have also been told that the Radiotherapy or the Chemo can affect eyes, comes at us from all angles, doesn’t it??!

On the other hand my Mum had both of her cataracts done last year at the age of 79! She was even able to stop wearing her reading glasses!

Good luck with everything.

Cheers, Michele x

Hi there,

I was diagnosed with Breast cancer last March and since then have had a mastectomy and reconstruction DIEP.

I too went to the opticans and have been told that I have the start of cataracts and I am also only 53 .

But I did not have chemo etc

I too felt so emotional ,after getting used to the cancer and the surgery and then to be told about the cataraacts I just felt like giving up.

After talking to friends they told me just carry on being as strong as you have been so far !!!

You arenot the only one and if you want to talk I am here … Mandy