Now been confirmed as breast cancer

Hi all, Its now been confirmed that i have breast cancer. It is a big tumour and is against the chest wall muscle so i will need to have chemo to see if it shrinks enough for surgery, i also have it in lymph nodes in neck, chest and armpit. I am having an mri scan and bone scan now too and am seeing the oncologist on tuesday. Its a major shock i wasnt expecting it to be as bad as this, and cant believe my bad luck having just nursed and lost my mum to lung cancer in november. But there is a glimmer of hope. Is there anyone out there that has had similar situation to mine?

Haya Hun, so sorry that you have had to join our club. None of wanted to join it, BUT- you will find stregnth, information, laughter and friendship here.
I should imagine you are still in shock about your diagnosis - that is normal. As the months pass and you start your treatment,with information given from your healthcare professionals and info gleaned from the lovely ladies here, you slowly start to feel almost normal and more positive about your treatment and prognosis.

Other ladies will follow with friendship and advice, they are such a friendly lot. I did not have any cancer in my nodes at diagnosis, so can’t help you with that I’m afraid, but you won’t need to wait too long!

Good Luck and lots of love…xxxx

Hi Floissie

I am sorry to read your news, as we mentioned before, please do use the helpliners, they are here to offer you further support and information to help you through, the lines are open 9-5 Mon-Fri and 9-2 Sat on 0808 800 6000

BCC have published a newly diagnosed resource pack which you may find helpful, you can order a copy here:

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/resource-pack-primary-early-breast-cancer-bcc145

This link will take you to the newly diagnosed web page where you will be able to read more about the support and help BCC can offer you:

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/resource-pack-primary-early-breast-cancer-bcc145

Take care
Lucy

Hi Floissie
My dx last feb was almost identical to yours. I had chemo first, three ops duing the summer and rads at the end of the year. I am almost 1 year to the day post dx, and am going back to work tomorrow after 11.5 months sick.
Treatment was fine, no real problems. Taking tam now and being vigilant. Have a few bumps being looked at right now, but about to start the rest of my life.

Hi Floissie, really sorry to hear your news and about the loss of your mother. It must be a very traumatic time for you but I hope your mum is up there watching down on you and will ensure those doctors give you the best treatment possible.

At the moment I only know that mine is also in my lymphs in armpit but find out tomorrow if it’s spread.

Out of interest, did you have any symptons in your neck ? I ask because at the time of having issues with my breast and armpit (and ever since then) I also have constant itching skin on the back of my neck and am starting to convince myself that it must mean it’s spreading into the neck lymph nodes.

ELTTIKS - Did you have it in lymph nodes other than the armpit as well ? Do they class other lymph nodes in the region as secondaries ? Sorry to hear that you had 3 operations - that must of been difficult. Good luck with going back to work :wink:

Mine was also in the supraclavicular lymph nodes. It’s not secondary cancer. It’s all part of the breast area. Mine was spotted on my first visit to the clinic when I went with a lump in my boob. It was seen on the ulrasound and that and the axilla nodes showed no symptoms. I was tols there are then that I had cancer, and the results of the biopsies confirmed this 9 days later. Hope this helps.

Thanks for replies guys Angelhert yes i did have itching but didnt put 2 and 2 together until you mentioned it. I saw oncologist yesterday, i have 2 different sets of antibiotics as my breast had swelled considerably and was very red and was getting a lot more pain so they think its infected from having the biopsies. I then go up on Tuesday to do all the paperwork for chemo and start sometime next week.

Hi Everyone
I am new on here, but I was diagnosed with bc in March 2009.
I just want to ask some advice really. My Onc noticed a swelling of my nodes in my neck and asked that I go for an ultrasound scan and they may need to do a biopsy. They did do a biopsy and advised that I would have to wait two weeks for the results. My Onc has called me back a week earlier then expected, and I’m worried that the cancer has spread to this area.
At first I did not feel the lump myself, now I can and seems quite hard.
Anyone who has this, can you advise me at all.

Thanks

Dear AnitaW

Welcome to the BCC Forum. Could I also suggest you give our Helpline a call for information and support. They are open from 9-5 on weekdays and 10-2 on Saturdays. The number is 0808 800 6000.

Take care

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator