cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nutrition advice

20 REPLIES 20
maggie aitken

Re: Nutrition advice

I looked up foods that help in producing white blood cells, and came up with a list of colourful, healthy fruits and veg - it is from the USA so some of hese are not familiar, but they are not keen on meat, on household products containing parabens (such as aerosols or home smellies) and generally if a veg or friot has a vital colour and is fresh, it is gd for you!  It does work, food being one way you can sort yurself to a degree, and control, which is also quite important, and the idea of being healthy in every other way - especially once this is over - matters a lot to me.  I also make soups, eat portions of fruit and smoothies, and look to have balanced carbs from oats, rice etc.  Good luck, all best wishes

Mai7
Community Champion

Hi Annie, I hope all goes well and you can get your treatment started soon. I'm a bit swollen in the nipple area and there is thickening in the skin but have never had any discharge so hope I'm still good to start on Thursday - I might ring the breast nurse tomorrow for reassurance! I don't know anything about the Hickman line so I assume I'll just be having a standard cannula. Don't worry about your weight at this point, that can all be addressed at the end!

Take care and keep in touch! X

Anniej
Community Champion

Hi Mai, I start Thursday too. Having a Hickman line put in Wednesday as its been a nightmare getting bloods out and putting catheters in. Fingers crossed it will make life easier. I had to stamp my feet as I was scheduled for chemo before the line went in! Sod's law that yesterday my nipple became inflamed, and today it's weeping just a little. On mega doses of antibiotics, but I don't think they'll start the chemo if I haven't healed, because it definitely won't then. Yes, knew about selenium, so only three nuts per day until I got my supplement sorted.

Smoothies and soups this week, and fish and salads from the Leon cook book. I really should be pin thin by now, but I'm not!😢 Guess the steroids won't help either. No hospitals this week, so enjoying my last bit of normalcy. Good luck to you, and let's keep in touch. X

Mai7
Community Champion

Hi Anniej, thanks for those additional tips. I'm also oestrogen positive and yes, I feel really fit and healthy except for this life threatening tumour - it's so unfair. I had read about the 2litres of water for the day before, on the day and the day after chemo to avoid side effects. That was on the treatment>chemo>fec-t advice thread.

The whole soya and other phytoestrogen foods, such as wheat germ and flaxseed, is a bit confusing. I've read sometimes to avoid these but there is uncertainty about whether it bonds with natural oestrogen to negate its effect or whether it promotes its growth! I'll err on the side of caution and avoid or reduce consumption until the medical research has reached a conclusion. I've mostly been buying almond milk but do still eat tofu regularly. Take care to only have 2 or 3 Brazil nuts per day as I've read they can be toxic if you have too many. It's all a fine balance!

We seem to be doing all of the right things anyway - I hope someone from Cancer Research is tracking all of this!

I'll post on the treatment thread after I start on Thursday - this may be to share good tips or whinge like a baby! 

Take care x

Anniej
Community Champion

Hi Mai, I'm oestrogen positive so soya is not for me. I'm on almond milk and yoghurt and very happy with the change. Also, soft cheese is a no no, especially once I start chemo . There is a super list of foods that you can download , and also one of food  and drinks, to avoid. See the link lower down.

Selenium is something cancer doesn't like, so I'm using Brazil nuts for this, but am also taking a supplement.

You sound super healthy. Good luck with the treatment.

P.S. I don't know wether you mentioned the obligatory 3.5 pints water per day to stay hydrated both with chemo and rads, plus cutting down on carbonated water and drinks? Affects the bones , apparently.

Mai7
Community Champion

Hi, I start chemo treatment next week and Ive purchased The Royal Marsden Cancer Cookbook which gives lots of tips for coping with nausea, taste changes, sore mouth as well as packing in nutrients and calories when you don't feel hungry during treatment.  Half of the royalties go to the Royal Marsden Cancer Charity so good all round.

Already pescetarian but have now quit dairy in favour of almond or soya milk. Im avoiding processed sugar and starchy foods which break down into sugar quickly. I'm eating lots of broccoli, kale, bok choi, oyster mushrooms, shiitake mushrooms, turmeric, black pepper, blueberries, raspberries, pomegranate/juice, butternut squash, sweet potatoes, Rosemary, walnuts, almonds, avocado and other healthy veggies.  I eat fish and tofu or soya for protein.  I have sugar free granola for breakfast and add extra nuts or those coconut yoghurts with fresh fruit. I think, basically, if it's healthy, whole grain, low sugar and anti-inflammatory food then all good! I've also quit alcohol since diagnosis and have found there is now a really great selection of alcohol free beers in the supermarkets. I also have tonic water with juniper berries and fresh coriander (or similar) as I was quite into the gin scene before.

I've also read some foods to avoid during chemo are grapefruit, echinacea, St. John's wort, black cohosh and also garlic (during docetaxel phase) as they interact with the drugs. The Cancer research website is really good at myth-busting lots of miracle foods and supplements.

Hope this helps.  It's really good to compare and check we all know the same cutting edge nutrition research.  If you find anything contradictory to any of this, let me know. X

mrsorangecat

Hi Onwards and upwards, I restrict dairy now and do miss a yoghurt but I have found the Koko strawberry yoghurt alternative and they are lovely, they are dairy and soya free and made with coconut milk. I use the Koko coconut milk on my porridge too - delicious with fresh raspberries, blueberries and a handful of mixed nuts on top 😀 xxx
Corrina

presently drinking loads of water to keep hydrated as presently going through radiotherapy x

Corrina

Hi Optmissy64 thanks for the link yu sent for diets when on aromatase inhibitors.. was very useful. still havnt checked out the whether eating Linseed is a good or bad idea so if anyone knows the answer to this please let me know x
Onwards and upwards

Hi I have been reading various information guides some recommend yoghurt but most recommend reduction if dairy oroducts all quite confusing I have booked to see the nutrition list at the haven has anyone else used this service and found it helpful trying to cut back on the sugar intake very hard as a real puddings fiend!

Optimissy64

Lovely! Mine's a tortie too, and also "semi rescue", as her very caring owners were moving from a house to a flat and were desperate to get her a good home.I agreed to take her without even having met her and have no regrets at all. They visit her now and again which is nice for her and for them.

rubycat

Hello Optimissy, couldn't seem to reply on your other thread about Rubycat.  Yes, she is my very own lovely rescue cat Ruby - an extremely laid back muted tortoiseshell - grey, cream & cinnamon.  Aaah, glad you liked her. Cat Very Happyxxx

Optimissy64

PS: You mentioned tips for nutrition re radiotherapy: Obviously LOADS of water - never rmind that you will be peeing for England, it really does help avoid fatigue. Your fresh fruit and veg will also help as they are high water-content foods. Just eat what you are currently eating and you'll be fine, as i was on a similar high fruit and veg diet. I'm sure keeping hydrated doesn't just help with fatigue but actually protects the healthy cells, - well that's my theory anyway as I didn't burn, (and even if it's cobblers, it's a jolly healthy diet!.)

Optimissy64

Hi Corrinna

I've just posted a reply to two people on the Ask the Nurses Thread "Questions about anything else".  They, like me and yourself, are keen to eat things that help with ER+ cancer and avoid those that do not work well with endocrine treatment like Anastozole, so you might want to pop over onto that thread - I think the thread began with Flax in the title.

I found this article useful as I'm on Anastrozole:

http://foodforbreastcancer.com/articles/breast-cancer-diet-during-aromatase-inhibitor-treatment

You might want to check out the linseed which some people don't recommend but I don't know and I've never tried it.

The dairy thing is a bit of a problem as I want to avoid osteoporosis, which the Anastozle is very likely to cause.I'm upping the green veggies though.

Thanks for your food tips which are borne out by the article. Shopping wlll become more like a military campaign,reading labels, instead of my previous rush round and shove anything i fancy into the trolly!  X

Corrina

hi everyone I had  a lumpectomy and axillary node clearance for  strongly eostrogen positive cancer and will be starting radiotherapy on March the 30th.Ive been eating a wide variety  of fruit including blueberries and raspberries kiwis pineappples ect  and salads and sometimes juicing my fruits.I eat about 3 brazil nuts a day .I dont like them but they give you some selenium which cancer doesnt like. I also have a tumeric ,honey, black pepper ,hot water and a little milk concoction as I have read that tumeric can have a cancer protective factor. I also have started eating watercress.I also eat sardines. I have coconut milk instead of dairy and dont buy cheese anymore. I have a bowl of organic porrige for breakfast and stir in some linseed and have a mashed bannana on top  and put on some coconut milk, .I try to avoid having to much sugary food  as have been informed cancer likes sugar. If anyone else has idea of what I could include or take out for my type of cancer or what food they have found are good to have during Radiotherapy treatment please let me know x

wandalina

thanks so much for the advice its all very much appreciated 🙂 still no start date for me as i have to get fertility treatment which will take 2/3 weeks.  at this stage it could be early april before i start! i was diagnosed on the 10th feb so i really do want to get this process started 

marghe

Hi there,

How are you getting on with your chemo? I hope you are well.  Will have my last fec on fri this week. I am estrogen positive too but not Her 2. There are many things that help me sail with my chemo treatment:

1. Juicing fruits and vegs 4-5 days a week. And making fruit smoothies such as blueberries, raspberries with a banana and I use organis soya milk with that.  I do not add sugar to my drinks. Drink this in an empty stomach it works even better...

2. Eating raw vegs such as salad, fennel, carrots and greens inc broccoli.

3. Drinking 2-3 lt of alkaline water to keep me hydrated.

You did not mention your name here.Anyway, I hope this smal advice will help. takecare x Blesy

wandalina

Thanks mrsorangecat 🙂 i really appreciate it and ill check that out.  i think dairy has to go and sugar... but im going through enough without having the stress of radically changing my diet..we can only do so much 🙂 have a lovely weekend

mrsorangecat

Forgot to say it's called The Haven's guide to healthy eating. By the way Macmillan didn't advocate vegan, veggie, dairy free etc, just a well balanced diet, ideally with no processed foods and little alcohol xx

mrsorangecat

Hi Wandalina, sorry to see you on here but welcome 😂. I'm an oestrogen positive girlie and I have been exploring diet and nutrition as well. I rang Macmillan the other day for some advice as I'd read all sorts of contradictory stuff on the internet and I just didn't know what to eat going forwards. They were lovely and the nurse I spoke to gave me details for "The Haven" which can be found via Google. It's a breast cancer care organisation. In their publications section there's a great brochure on what's recommended which you might find useful. I tried a vegan/dairy free diet but after 12 weeks I needed more variety and missed fish and meat too much. I eat a good variety of foods now and I'm much happier, but I am glad I explored a vegan diet and I do have 3 or 4 vegan/veggie days a week. I eat loads of veg and fruit daily.

I didn't have to have to have chemo but had a mastectomy and im starting radiotherapy in about 10 days.

Good luck to you on your journey hun xx

wandalina

Nutrition advice

Hi Ladies 

Im one of the gang now! Im 37 years old and it just so happens the only lump ive ever discovered turned out to be cancerous.  What luck! Oestrogen positive and Her 2 positive.  Just waiting to see my oncologist for the first time and finally get started on my treatment!

Trying to build myself back up physically after the stress of biopsies and diagnosis and get ready for the onslaught of chemo.  There is so much information online its quite bewildering but does anyone have any advice in terms of nutrition to help prepare myself for chemo ie boosting my immune system, what to avoid, and also if anyone can recommend any cook books of recipies or online sources for chemo friendly recipies.  

Thanks everyone 🙂  from what i can see this is a wonderful and supportive resource for BC warriors 🙂