Later in March. I'm also celebrating a big birthday, but 10 years more than you 😞
However, since my secondaries dx 4 years ago I'm glad to celebrate every birthday 🙂
It's a nightmare isn't it, this insurance lark.
Just wanted to let you know that whenever I have been awaiting elective surgery as part of my reconstruction journey (and unfortunately that has been several times - long story!) whenever I have declared it to the insurance company they have always said that it doesn't make any difference that the surgery is elective, reconstructive / cosmetic and non-life threatening - it still weights the policy against you
Even being on a waiting list for my minor nipple reconstruction went against me - it was the mere fact that I was on a hospital waiting list!
I have never risked being untruthful with the companies as any claim would be invalid if I hadn't told them the whole story and I have heard horror stories - insurance companies will always try to wriggle out of paying a claim at the best of times.
I have used Columbus, Mia online,Insure Pink,Bromley and Insurewith.
Good luck She x
Thanks Nicky and Sam
Nicky, when do you go to New York? I'm going on 2nd March for a long weekend to celebrate my 40th - SO excited!
Hope you have a fab time xx
There is another thread just near this that has several insurance company details on. I would say as your next surgery is elective rather than 'necessary' you should be able to say no - after all the questions are specifically about your BC not what you chose to do cosmetically (if you don't mind me using that term). I have spoken today with Insurepink and have got cover, including cancellation, for New York, and I have got secondaries plus a couple of other pre existings (follow on rubbish from chemo) £190 for 5 days which I thought was pretty good. I asked the girl, Emma, who was really helpful, what they base their proposals on and she said it had to be 3 months clear of surgery. So as long as that's the case with you I should think they would give you a reasonable quote. Good luck.
Whilst you are waiting for the other users to reply with their advice and information you may find it helpful to look at the sticky thread on travel insurance tips. You can find it by using this link:-
I hope you find this useful.
Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator
I'm after some guidance please. I was diagnosed in May 2009, then had a double MX in 2010. I am still having follow-up surgery on my reconstruction.
I am going to New York for a long weekend soon so have started shopping around for travel insurance, and am getting some pretty horrendous quotes. I'm wondering, when I'm asked "are you awaiting further surgery in relation to your condition" should I be saying "yes" or should I in fact be saying "no" as the surgery is not really to do with cancer, but with the reconstruction.
I'm not ill with my condition (apart from good old Tamoxifen fatigue) so the chances of becoming poorly whilst there are very low. Or, should I just take a policy which doesn't cover my medical condition.
Thanks, grateful for any advice!