1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OCTOBER AND ONWARDS...

familytree

Re: OCTOBER AND ONWARDS...

My bc was on right but was told ribs could become brittle after rads along with lung scaring. Hope you all have a fab weekend x
Jill1998
Community Champion

No ,none of us will look forward to that experience will we.
nappinggirl

Thanks Jill.  No, don't have to set foot in there until the spring.  He said a mammogram every year (on anniversary of last op) for 10 years. Not looking forward to that already! xx

Jill1998
Community Champion

Hi Tweasel, hope you are doing ok after finishing treatment .
Jill1998
Community Champion

Hi NP ,I think going back for any appointments will be hard .I can see exactly where they have radiated too , a bit freaky really .Hope you feel better today. , hopefully won't have to go near the sodding place for a while eh ?
nappinggirl

5 weeks after Rads.

Had my review meeting with the Oncologist yesterday.  After waiting an hour (how much of our lives have been wasted in waiting rooms?), the appointment lasted less than 10 minutes.  

He said my skin looked as he would expect, had a prod and a poke at my breast and said there was a lot of scar tissue.  He asked how the treatment had been and when I told him how much pain I had been in for 7 weeks he said it was because my rib cage had been elevated due to the heartspare (I'm left side) and so had been subjected to more radiation.  He said he didn't have a picture of where the treatment had been given (do I need a picture?!  There's a large brown rectangle that kind of shows me where it was!!) but the whole left side of my ribs had received radiotherapy.  

Felt quite angry when I left, couldn't wait to get out, hated being back in the hospital.  

Love to everyone xx

Tweasel

Have a lovely time tomorrow ladies. Wish I lived close enough to join you xx

Jill1998
Community Champion

See you tomorrow Christine, looking forward to it .
tweeks123

See you all tomorrow so looking forward to meeting you all x
christine x
Aura

Hi CHristine i'v pm my number , speak later x

tweeks123

Hi Julie ive just PM you my phone number if you want to text your number to mine I will ring you when ive finished work ok x
christine x
Jill1998
Community Champion

That's right Marcella. I have everyones phone number now so we should be able to find each other !!!!
Aura

That's fine CHristine xx
mf

Hi Christine. We're meeting at 12.15 in the pub opposite Preston station. Jill will tell me if I'm wrong.
tweeks123

Hi ladies what time are we meeting up tomorrow ? Not been able to log on here too..Julie I will private message you my phone number about getting there ok x
christine x
mf

Thanks, Egret. Congratulations on completing rads!
familytree

Look forward to meeting you all x
Aura

What a nice day on my way to Manchester airport with hubby . Picking up our daughter and son in law , they got married in January but just had 2 weeks honeymoon in Las Vegas . See some of you tomorrow xxx
Aura

Well done egret x
familytree

Your last rad Egret, brilliant! X
Egret

Best wishes mf with your blood test! I kniw, it is 4:29am Friday, I am a bit insomniac before my 20th radiation session - and last!  I am quite envious that you manage to shred so much!  Egret x

Jill1998
Community Champion

Just bring a surgical mask from work!!!Marcella has had problems logging in too.Im bound to get ill in time for going back to work.
Aura

Every time I power my phone off I get locked out of the forum it has took me since 1.30 yesterday afternoon to get back logged on !! CHristine hooefully they will sort you out at the lymodeama clinic , I'm still full of a cold and now got a soddin cold sore up my nose of all places . You will be sitting me at a separate table in Saturday x
Jill1998
Community Champion

I will just leave booking and if she changes her mind she can come . see how she feels .
tweeks123

Jill Ann has txd me from preston rads really on a downer waiting for lift home she said christine im deffo not coming on saturday im sick of talking cancer she been preston today and she said they left a stich in from opp and no one there can take it out she has to go climic tomorrow she sounds on a right downer..she already had opp dune before and thwy never got it out she been througj loada of messing about... anyway 6 is an even number ao no probs .pwew sweating but not the tablets ive just shampooed my living room carpet think a noce cold drink go down a treat x
christine x
Jill1998
Community Champion

That blooming restaurant offer is looking less good value when I rang to change the booking they said that it is one Italian platter and pizza between 2 ,not one pizza each ,and one glass of wine each and bottle of water for £25 (12.50 each).Guess it's a little bit cheaper than buying off the main menu ,we could always mix and match get a couple of the offers and share a few other things.Im feeling hungry now!!!
Jill1998
Community Champion

That's a bummer Christine,there are so many potential complications with this thing.
tweeks123

Bloody brilliant !
Been lymphodemia clinic today another toen another hospital..just got back to work and need go to this clinic twice a week to have massage and special lights..for gowd sake when is it gonna stop !..good side ive managed to fit it around work when ive finished ..I was working yeaterday 81/2 hrs none stop but did I sleep dis I he'll as like lookinh forward to the two glasses of wine on saturday ; 0)
Christine x
Jill1998
Community Champion

I have read of other people having swollen glands after finishing treatment ,remember your body took a battering from the bladder problems too .Occy health woman was very cautious re my return to work made me realise this has been quite serious hasn't it!!!
Jill1998
Community Champion

Take work as slowly as you can get away with Marcella.I chucked most of contents of kitchen drawer ,counted 25 pens.....no cash though!!!If you can't log on on your phone did you get my phone number in case any problems re Saturday ?
Jill1998
Community Champion

I have allergies too , my acupuncturist also told me the cancer down to inflammation and suggested various supplements to reduce inflammation.If I take them all it will cost a small fortune though.
mf

Good luck with clearing out the drawer, Jill. My aim was to decorate the front room, which is the same as when I moved in five years ago, with wrinkles in the DIY wallpapering. Needless to say, that hasn't happened - though I did manage to shred a year's worth of bank statements until I blocked the shredder.  I saw the occy health person at work yesterday and go back next Monday very part time until November and probably not full time till Jan. She seemed quite concerned about my rate of recovery, ie the swollen glands and fatigue. GP has ordered blood test for Friday. Fingers crossed it's nothing unpleasant. Still can't post on this forum from my phone - only via laptop.

mf

Sorry to hear of your struggles, Egret. I've just discovered from a nutritional practitioner who supports people with cancer that allergies and ER+ tumours often go together because they are due to inflammation in the body. I have several allergies. I use Aveda hair dye (only available in hairdressers, I think) because It's 97% natural. Unfortunately it still has 3% of the bad stuff. I've mentioned Aveda on here before - I don't own shares in them, honest!  

Jill1998
Community Champion

The kitchen drawer is getting sorted today, hope I find some forgotten cash!!!!
Aura

I know what u mean Jill about doing jobs round house I was the same and they still need doing .
Aura

Put a lot of xx just text my daughter before I'd posted as I always put loads of x on hers .
Jill1998
Community Champion

Bet I will get ill too,I think the anxiety of going back to work affects your immune system.I had so many things I was going to do in the house ,not really got many done.Will need to cross at least one more off the list before I go back.
Aura

Can't belive back at work and full of a cold 😥oonly today to work then off til Monday . Hope every one else is getting back into the normality of work . Make most of last few days Jill c u Saturday xxxxx
Sharnie

Yes I have suffered for quite a few years - early menopause started it all off and it's a hard habit to break! I do have sleeping tablets to take but am worried I won't get up when I take them - I usually get up between 6 and 6.30 as have to leave for work before 7.30. Wish I was like my hubby who can sleep anytime, anywhere! Just had a hot chocolate, now going to do some reading and hope for the best! Xx

familytree

It's horrible battling with insomnia. I was that bad I started the night owl thread ! But I started to accept it, not as if I had work to get up for so I would get up, read make a drink etc. Far more pleasant than lying there struggling with my thoughts. I can't get enough sleep since rads! Or that may be the citalopram anti depressants I take before bed now ...Don't know don't care lol x
Sharnie

Poor you Egret that sounds horrific.i hope you are feeling better soon. I had a bad reaction to make up in March and had similar symptoms but not as severe so I really sympathise with you. My eyes were affected the most and the skin was red raw and peeling. I felt like I had been burnt beneath my eyes. I have since had a patch test done at the hospital and found out what I'm allergic to. I am in the one tanned boob club as well! Don't know how long it lasts but I finished rads mid August!

Hope all you ladies have a nice time when you meet up - I'm too far away as well. 

Still didn't sleep well last night, listening to the rain at 3am this morning. I'm not liking these dark mornings already, can't believe how early its dark tonight - winter is on its way I think. I do enjoy reading so will have to try that to see if it will help send me to sleep - trouble is if I get into a book I can't put it down! Hot flushes are still waking me up and then I struggle to go back to sleep. I think I will have a milky drink tonight, read for a bit and see if that helps! Good luck fellow insomniacs, pleasant dreams xxx

familytree

Gosh egret, thanks for the warning, sounds horrendous! Like you're not going through enough. Hope it all subsides soon. Shame you can't meet us all on Saturday but understand you're too far away. Where are you? Perhaps you could meet up with others on here nearby? X Lorna
Jobey68

And me! Was very tempted to even up the other one while I was on holiday! 😂

Jill1998
Community Champion

Yes ,I have one of them too,very odd!!
Egret

Thanks Jill 1998, I will wear dark sun glasses in Andalusia, I got one boob pre-sun tanned already! Egret x
Jill1998
Community Champion

Glad you are on the last leg of your rads now.
Egret

The A&E doctor said that Piriton (for hay fever) is not a proper antihistamine and is said to be causing sleep. The "poor man sleeping pill" he told me. Hope sweet dreams to all the insomniacs. Egret x
Jill1998
Community Champion

Blooming heck Egret,that's certainly is a reaction poor you!!We have started a kind of "moving on thread",anyone welcome to join in ,there is an October rads thread (October hot cross buns) too.
Egret

Hi!  I joined the September sizzler for my rads, and this seems to be the continuation thread.  

Finishing in three days' time, I will leave the forum then. Before this I wanted to post a HAIR DYE WARNING. I finished my chemotherapy in August. I waited for my hair to regrow, it was white, and I couldn't stand it any longer. I had a handful of dark hair left after the cold cap and I wanted a uniform colour.

I dyed my hair with NATURTIN, it said no armonia, no resorcinol, no parabens. 
It did not seem to mention PPD, a chemical which can cause intense allergic reaction. Apparently black henna can cause the same reaction. 

I had three pin points tattooes put on my chest for the radiotherapy, and I don't know whether the tattooes had made me more sensitive. I did the hair strand test for allergy, and as nothing happened, I use NATURTIN the next morning. The reaction was slow, it flared out two days later, I thought I ate some bad cheese. I got my radiotherapy appraisal with a nurse, and both of us decided that with some Piriton the rash at the corners of my eyes would clear up. Two days later I was at A&E as "priority", I still thought it was the cheese, because my hair strand test did not give allergic result for 14 hours!  I was prescribed steroids for 4 days and antihistamine. My eyes had closed up almost completely, my cheeks were raw red, my ears had double size and I was so itchy I could not sleep. Not what I wanted after 6 cycles chemo and in my second week rads!!! Today (in my fourth week rads) I had an emergency appointment with my GP, heavier antihistamine, cortisoid cream - and more steroids "just in case". Luckily the rash did not touch by breast.

I am pre-diabetic, the steroids can topple me into diabetes. I am trying to avoid them, but if things don't improve, I might have to take them. I researched the web, and it seems that PPD is the culprit. It is in a lot of hair dyes, even those which are advertised as "natural". Black henna can also cause allergy (in hair dyes and tattooes).  PPD is often in hair dye where there are two containers to mix. Apparently I can have weeks of rash, itchy skin, puffy eyes, and I am writing this so that others don't go through this - I am not even concerned about my 4th week rads (!!!). This issue is now dominating my life!  The 4th week rads is so much easier, no more breath hold tube. I don't think that if I waited another month or two for my hair, it would have made any difference. I dyed my hair before, and this is the first time I use NATURTIN.
Sending my best wishes to your friendship meetup - I live too far away to join - sigh.  Egret x

Jill1998
Community Champion

Jennifer ,are you back at work yet?