OCTOBER HOT CROSS BUNS

Starting Radio Therapy in October?

Or waiting to start like me, share your experiences here…

I love the name of your new group. I’m a bit ahead of you but would like to join anyway if that’s ok. I’ve got session 12 of 15 today so if anyone needs any tips I might be able to help.  Rads is nothing to worry about, everyone at the hospital is lovely and caring and it I’m in and out in 15 minutes apart from a couple of delays which is bound to happen occasionally.

E. 

I should have started on Monday but they had too many problems getting me to line up on the machine so they’ve repeated my set up ct and I’m starting on Thursday. It’s all been to do with having my set up so close to my surgery which meant that my swelling had gone down so my shape had changed dramatically. Fingers crossed for Thursday! 

Good luck all the ladies starting or finishing radiotherapy in October,it’s a bit of a long haul but every day you go is one day less and nearer the end of treatment .

Howdy, just back from rads planning apt. Chemo finished last wed, and rads due on 27th for 20 blasts! Apt doodle, after 4 looooong chemo months am okay about this bit. Got lined up, scanned, 3 teeny dot tattoos done and sorted!

Hi Ladies

So glad you have joined our party…i hope you loved the name, spark of inspiration from moi, a textile and art teacher who often thinks ‘outside the box’, ha ha. 

Im still waiting for my planning app at Addenbrooks in Cambridge (in special measures i hear), how long does the actual 1st appointment take?

Do they only sort you out on the machine or do they take blood etc?

Does the radiation go through the body and out the other side? 

So many questions…

Love to all of you beginning and continuing rads this month, hows it going so far?

Ran x x x

Planning apt for me was about 30/ 40 mins. Oncologists went thru paperwork before and had explained it, so it was just the practicalities. Did height, weight. Then top off time and lie down. 3 in room, they said could dim lights, but after the amount of flashing my boobs at various apts I didn’t care! They line you up with the machine, draw few lines, attach tapes and scan. Honestly painless and easy. They just need your measurements to get it set. The tattoos are incredibly tiny dots. One one either side and one in middle. For me this was relatively easy appt. My only issue is I am at cov, so parking will be nightmare!!! Am also hoping to start swimming soon (just need hair back!!) and if my skin doesn’t go bonkers with rads I can keep it up!

Oh and for me no bloods (yipeeee!!) tech said they would only do stuff like that if doc had requested it. Team seemed lovely, I had couple of queries and they explained everything.

Good luck T3D

Let us know how you got on today, hope you didnt have too much waiting around x 

Found you!!! Thanks for setting this up Ran, great name!! :smileyvery-happy:

Good luck to everyone starting or waiting for rads, just waiting on my planning appointment now, and free tattoos on the NHS!!! :smileyvery-happy:

Julie :smileywink: xxx  

Hope today goes ok for you T3D, good luck! :smileyhappy: 

Just had my planning appointment through the post for 7th October, was supposed to be going back to one of my jobs that day, but they are happy for me to go in afterwards so all worked out in the end!

Attempting to go back to my other job on Saturday, just hoping I can last the day, but I’ll never know unless I give it a try and think it’ll do me good to get back to a bit of normality but if I find it too much will have a rethink!!! Baby steps!!! Been a lot stronger this week at last and have managed 2 small drives in the car, (one without any ‘carers’ in tow, felt like I’d gone AWOL lol) which was a major milestone, even had a few tears when I’d done it, tiny things mean so much now don’t they :smileywink:

Julie :smileywink: xxx

Thanks for the good wishes. All went well -I even got called in five minutes early!!  Treated myself to a nice new pair of shoes after ;) 

Evening all. Looks like I should be joining this thread at last. I was diagnosed in January and have had 3 WLEs and a 10 day stay in hospital since then. I don’t do anything by halves! Now due to start rads at Leicester on 14 October and have had the planning meeting, rather disappointed with my tiny tattoos, was hoping for something elaborate, lol. I do have a concern over the number of sessions they want to do, 25. Apparently as I have big boobs, they say that I am likely to have more skin problems so prefer to give a lower dose over a longer period. Anyone ever heard this? Good job I am well endowed as I had a lot of tissue taken out but the poor boob looks very mangled.

Hi ladies,
I’d also like to join your group as I’m due to start my Rads on 21st October having had my last chemo on 18th sept.
Had my planning appt on 30th sept and am having 15 sessions plus 5 boost and am proud to say I can now join the tattoo club !!
I met with my Gp and work manager today and have also agreed to return to work on 29th October on a phased return basis starting with two half days the first week and slowly increasing until end of November. Have planned some leave at the end of my sessions to give time to recuperate as I’ve been told tiredness kicks in towards the end of treatment and for a couple of weeks after, don’t know how right that is? Hope I haven’t planned too much!
One question , has anyone been given any cream to use or what or what not to use during treatment as they didn’t say anything on Wed when I went for the planning appt and me still having chemo brain! Never thought to ask .
I don’t know where everyone is having their treatment but I’ll be going to Preston. Where is everyone else going??
Well good luck to everyone
Gaynor x

Hi Gaynor, quite a lot of us on this site have recently had rads at Preston.They will advise you on creams if your skin deteriorates, they just suggest aqueous cream or E 45 until then. Most people I have spoken to have felt very tired after about 6 or 7 sessions and for a few weeks after finishing so you should factor that into your return to work , everyone is different though in how they react .Good luck enjoy your free hot chocolate ( with marshmallows) one of the very few perks if having cancer !!!

Hi ladies
I too start rads this month. Ct scan on 6th and rads start on 15th and finish on 4th Nov. I’m already on tamifloxen. ?

Hot chocolate and marshmallows, no such thing at Leicester Royal Infirmary or I didn’t see any at my planning appointment! Had they already been scoffed by starving people waiting 3 hours for their hospital transport home, like me.? ! I start my rads on 14 October and have been told 25 because of my big boobs! Jill, thanks for the DM by the way. Still not sure if I’m going to tell them that I only want 15 and I’ll take a chance on the skin problems. An extra two weeks of the travelling to and from hospital using the transport service is an extra strain on my husband, who will be looking after the business. I too am wondering what cream etc to use and when to use it. Lots of ladies recommend Aloe Vera Gel, which they keep in the fridge. I notice also that some of the American sites recommend lanolin. I’ve been told that I can’t use any deodorants that contain metal, aluminium hydroxide I think, which is a common additive. They said to use only ‘natural’ ones, whichever they are. Any ideas? Also told not to use talc but I love my Cuticura after a shower! Happy days??

Francine i used my normal deoderant and creamed up with Aqueous, im a bit of a rebel and would nod in agreement then do what i liked!! I used Pure Aloe Gel only in the last few days and it really took the heat out, I had a rota of people lined up to take me but i was fine and although i had someone with me i drove most days, dont worry yourself too much about treatment its soon over and you dont feel a thing Xx

Ah Jobey, a rebel like me! Like it. I’m just going to do what feels right for me and what’s more I’m going on a special anti cancer diet, cake, choccie fingers and mini Cheddars! Oh forgot the vodka.

They are all good for the soul which is important !!! Francine I would go with 15 if they give you a choice , my skin problems only lasted 2 weeks and I didn’t have to travel 60 miles a day to sort them out.