Occupational Health and planning return to work

Hi

I was diagnosed with G1 and G2 tumours (one of each) in March, had a mastectomy and SNB in April, currently halfway through chemo to be followed by radiotherapy and tamoxifen and hopefully a risk reducing mastectomy and bilateral recon with a DIEP flap in 2017.

Im a senior nurse, manage a team and do nurse led clinics, and have an OH appointment on the 20th as part of the attendance policy at work. work aren’t being particularly supportive but the union are taking care of that bit for me.

What I wanted to pick people’s brains about is what should I be bringing up with OH? I’m going to discuss a phased return, fatigue, concerns about concentration and decision making but wondering what others had found helpful or wished they’d mentioned.

To complicate matters I was on maternity leave at diagnosis so haven’t actually been at work since 

April 2014 so I’ve had a massive break. I’m planning on going back in the new year, radiotherapy finishes in December, and I work 3 days.

Any tips appreciated.

Thanks

Hi Sar41

While you are waiting for some replies to your post I’ve attached a link to the relevant section of the macmillan site.  They have lots of information about work related issues. 

macmillan.org.uk/information-and-support/organising/work-and-cancer

I hope this helps.

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

Hi both,
Firstly i hope your treatments are going as well as they can, and you are managing as well as you can.
I am not sure if you found my posts much earlier on.this thread, but i had felt supported by my workplace initially. However as time passed i felt vulnerable, horrendously fatigued, and even after a detailed occ health review and prolinged phased return to work plan found that the stresses of ongoing poor support led to such stress i resigned. Not the right action maybe, but right for me as i do not cope well with confrontations, and this was how it felt.
plan,

Hi both,
Firstly i hope your treatments are going as well as they can, and you are managing as well as you can.
I am not sure if you found my posts much earlier on.this thread, but i had felt supported by my workplace initially. However as time passed i felt vulnerable, horrendously fatigued, and even after a detailed occ health review and prolinged phased return to work plan found that the stresses of ongoing poor support led to such stress i resigned. Not the right action maybe, but right for me as i do not cope well with confrontations, and this was how it felt.
plan,

LL xx

Hi Sar41, Guessing your called Sarah a

<li-spoiler> </li-spoiler>

ged 41, Also diagnosed March and also a nurse called Sarah.luckily have not had to have radiotherapy or chemotherapy as had a  lumpectomy mastectomy and reconstruction surgery now looking forward to going back to work. Work on neonatal unit level one so not too heavy.

Have already been to occupational health and they were really good, I am going back 16 hrs a week no longer than 6hrs shifts on alternate days ,for 2 weeks,then gradually increase hours.The NHS have to offer this if you have cancer so stick to your guns and demand your rights. H operation this helps Sarah.