69.3K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

October 2015 Chemotherapy starters - please join!

Babygirl

Re: October 2015 Chemotherapy starters - please join!

Bazza, I used manuka honey on my wound when I got cellulitis and it did help. Buy the best grade that you can afford . 

Ele , so pleased you are feeling good. My first FEC was the day before you. So far head hair intact but pubes now gone. 

Good luck to everyone today .xxxx

Bibi44

Thanks Riverside x

riversidedawn

Bazza I had manuka honey dressing on my mx scar when it wouldn't heal and hand cream, but never ate it!
Ele J

Hi all, glad everyone seems to be doing well so far. Love that Victoria Derbyshire vlog...echoes what lots of us feel (though don't know whether you could quite get it until you've been through it?). Jojo aka my chemo twinnie, how's your hair doing? I didn't cold cap so every day expecting the big fallout to start but nothing yet. Is anyone else doing AC? I'm scheduled for 4 X 3 weeks but have seen others doing AC fortnightly. As I've felt so well after the initial couple of days, I was thinking about asking whether I can do 2, 3 and 4 only two weeks apart rather than three...is that mad? I just think it will get it all over and done with quicker (and well before Xmas). I'm sure they won't let me if there's a reason not to...but wondered if anyone else has any experience (Oct 14 ladies?) xx
bazza7676

A question for you. Has anyone tried taking Manuka honey so far?
Emmalou

Thanks For the advice Peta 

Emma xx

riversidedawn

Bibi, the weekly Taxol was much more tolerable than the FEC. But as Peta says, it is cumulative. I have 3 x 3 weekly FEC, but because of infection it turned out more like 4 weeks and 4-6 weeks apart, then I embarked on 12 x weekly Taxol. There weren't so many ups and downs on T, it's kind of a constant thing, my bloods recovered pretty well each week. From an infection point of view, I think you just have to be careful, but as my bloods came back weekly it's difficult to tell when you're more suseptible.

I think its a case of we're all different, go with the flow, as Peta says don't invest too much in away days etc as you never know when it's going to come up and bite you on the bum! Personally for the first 2 months I was a wreak as got bad infection after each FEC (started 31 October) After Christmas it settled down, but got really tired come February.................. Take it as it comes, rest when you can, exercise / work if you can - I did both until I was made redundant in March.

You're doing great and sharing info which is such a help. Movicol is brilliant and your GP can prescribe it for you x

Peta

Hi

It's good to hear that you're all doing pretty well - go ladies! 

Emmalou, I think that's it's a great idea to do nice things in your good weeks. I found chemo to be cumulative, so my good time got shorter each cycle and I got generally weaker- but for the first 3 cycles I did have a definite good week that I could do things in.  I got tired fairly easily though, so you might want to not plan too much with too much walking around town, you can always add extra things in if you find you have more energy than you expect to have. Take taxis if and when you can, then you'll have more energy to do nice things in London.  And wear comfy shoes, if you stress and rub your toes and toe nails now you may find that they loosen and get sore, so comfy shoes essential.  I spent last winter in an old pair of Uggs, they're unfashionable now but they were everso soft on my delicate toes and toenails! 

Oh and on booking time away in general - sometimes chemo cycles slip back a few days, when blood test aren't that great or if you are ill, so you may find that your good week isn't when you expect it, the dates can change quite easily.  So I wouldn't invest lots of money in something that can't be changed very easily or rebooked for a later date.   I hope you have a well-deserved lovely time!

Eagles, have any of you tried Movicol? It's what they give you in hospital, that helped lots and very gentle on tum.   Oh and pee, yes chemical smell! I thought it smelt like burnt plastic. I smelt like a chemical lab for days after each one, I'd forgotten all about that... 

Best wishes to you all, one day at a time and all that, you're doing brilliantly!  xx 

Emmalou

Afternoon all, glad to say my nausea seems to be improving, managed a cup of tea just now for the first time since before chemo on Friday! 

Just wondered if anyone had planned any time away between cycles? I'm supposed to be going to London for a weekend with friends (both nursing sisters so have expert support) in November & it falls when it should be a good week! Still feel slightly anxious but don't want my life to stop completely!! All advice gratefully received especially from the oct 14 posters xx

bazza7676

No problem Emma. Seeing her drain gave me flashbacks to Nikki's in August. Seems like ages ago.

Rob em

Thanks for posting that Barry.  I was wondering how she was getting on.

PeggyCat
Community Champion

Hi Barry, I've just watched that. Her diagnosis and treatment up to now are similar to mine in many ways so struck a chord.

Fiona, hope your first session goes okay today and that you had a great girly weekend. x

bazza7676

Something worth reading (Victoria Derbyshire's account so far) x

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-34482115

PeggyCat
Community Champion

Morning everyone. In the spirit of sharing bodily function news with internet chums, here is my morning report:

No eagle yet but only just up and having first cuppa. Hopefully yesterday's bran and prunes will serve me well later.

No smelly wee yet but I have thought for the past few days that I smell a bit chemically in general, just oozing from my skin.

Can still just about taste my cuppa but I'm finding only stronger tastes, like pineapple and strong cheddar, are really hitting the spot now.

Hope you all have a good day. x

Rob em

I had something similar this morning with the wee smell.  I went for my early morning wee, and then popped back into the bathroom to fill up my water bottle and could smell something odd.....like cats wee. My cats are very clean so I know it wasn't but couldn't figure it out.

Jayneyb69

Hi Bazza, I was prescribed lorazapem for my needle anxiety, she only gave me 1 tablet to take in 2 halfs and can honestly say it made no difference what so ever, think I may have needed a bigger dose, so will ask my onc when I see her. 

When does Nikki begin her chemo x

Jayneyb69

Morning all, daily update - day 5. Well what can I say, not much of a change really, however, even though I have took my laxatives, no eagle for 2 days now, so feeling the pain, also the nausea this morning seems a little worse, maybe coz I'm a bit constipated. 

Another slightly odd thing, I went for a wee this morning (sorry to be blunt), flushed and washed my hands and my husband Andy followed me into the loo and said it smelt very chemically, has anyone else had anything similar. 

Love to all xx

Bibi44

Hi Riversidedawn I am doing weekly T after FECs,so pleased to hear SE are manageable. BCN said that a lot of people work on weeklies, so I was hoping it won't be too bad. When is the low immune system period on weeklies . . All the time or not at all? I am a bit OCD about hand gel & not kissing people that week. Thanks. 

Bazza not sure about Lorazepam. I think it's a sedative. Ask Carole on August she raves about it. I have found co-codamol 1hour before chemo works really well & I couldn't even feel the cold cap the first time . . Kept asking husband if the machine was switched on properly! We have Dignicap at my hospital which only goes down to +5 degrees rather than -5 with the Paxman. I have lost c25% of my hair anyway, but it's been a gradual shedding from all over, so unless you knew I had more hair before, you can't tell. I can because my head's so flipping cold when I play golf!

BBx

Rob em

Morning all.  .....and here is the daily report..  Hehe...

i got up, showered and dressed yesterday and took the kids out to lunch.  I had a carvery which was fab.  I think I needed all the salt.  My hubby is away until weds (rotten work timing) so I shopped for meals the kids and I could cook easily (18 and 13). We've had pie and chips and pasta bakes so yesterday's roast was marvellous.  I've been very thirsty and have a dry mouth.  I need my water bottle with me all the time, and have already drunk half a litre and I'm not out if bed yet.  My eagle has landed!  Love that expression!  I'm also a bit emotional.  Could be because hubby is away and I don't want to lean on the kids emotionally.  Saw some friends last night and had a blub!!!  

So, another day of waiting to what else rears its head.  Fun game!  Hope everyone is doing well.  Xx

jojo2

Hi Ele J

Muscle pains stopped almost abrupty as they started.  Oh and guess what? I've been.........................oh what a relief.  Food cravings? none this end.  Best day of feeling well today, long may it last.  You are now officially my chemo buddy as we started on the same day xxxx

Mariej2205

Morning all.. Rob em I had appt with oncologist in Tuesday and he said within 2 weeks have heart scan tomorrow so it will prob happen really quick although 10 weeks since op..
Peggycat that's fab news I just pray I'm like that I think if I can go to work it will make me feel better as I'm around all the girls.
I must say the October forum seems to be doing well and holding its own so far!! Go October people!! Enjoy Sunday x x x
Jayneyb69

Morning all, day 4 - apart from a few digestive issues, heartburn, nausea and tummy ache (all fairly mild), it seems ok.  I have noticed though I have to get up 2-3 times a night to pee, which I never have to do. 

i didnt take take a laxative last night, and so far no 'eagle', so it maybe best for me to take one before bed. 

i am am thinking of working tomorrow if I feel the same, I can do some work from home, so that is quite handy.

Anyway, just off to prepare Sunday lunch, whilst my husband has took our son to his footy game.

Have a good day all xx

PeggyCat
Community Champion

Morning all.

Good news about your hair Liz on day 17 - fingers crossed for you.

Marie, I met a lady on my unit on Friday who had been doing weekly (she was in Friday for a Herceptin injection but had finished the chemo). She told me she had handled the weekly very well and had managed to work several days a week without feeling too bad at all. She seemed really upbeat and positive about it all.

Glad you had a better night Emma. Like you I'll be glad when the steriods are finished. I've just been on phone call to a cousin and was pacing up and down the house like a mad thing while we were speaking.

Still not feeling too horrendous. Woke up with quite a bad tummy ache around 6.00am this morning and feel a little nauseous but nothing I can't handle. Can only eat small amounts at a time but just more often. And I can still taste things generally. I did start to wonder earlier if they had actually given me the correct drugs on Friday. Oh well, I'm sure something will come and kick me up the backside before too long but I guess just enjoy feeling relatively okay while it lasts.

Have a good Sunday everyone and big hugs to all. xx

Rob em

When do you start Marie?

I had a much better night last night. Slept from 8.30 and had to get up twice to pee! Having another easy day today but do plan on actually leaving the house!! I had to take some Senna last night but my eagle hasn't landed yet ;-)). I do feel quite hungry and craving savoury things. Yesterday afternoon I sat down with a plate of ham and pickled gherkins. The steroids are definitely making me feel jittery. I'm rather pleased they finish tomorrow!
xylogal

Jojo, did you take your temperature before starting the treatment? I took mine for about a week just so that I would know what my "normal" is (around 36.3). One of the girls I met at Maggies said that the Boots digital thermometers (which I am using) read low and that some patients were advised to get them recalibrated.

I think so long as you know what your normal is you can guage when/if it goes up. Just remember to tell the helpline what your normal temperature is.

For those of you cold capping, now on day 17 and no hair loss.

Ele J

P.s that temp does seem a bit low...but are you confident your thermometer is accurate? Might be worth borrowing another thermometer just to check it. Mine has generally been just a tiny shade under 37 (36.9 just now) apart from when I was flushed from the steroids and it was 37.5. i bought a new Braun digital thermometer just before starting chemo...we never had one when the kids were small as I always thought that you could tell when they had a temp by touching them, and knowing the precise number doesn't really help! Xxx
Ele J

Hi Jojo, so glad you're passed the nausea now. Yes I have had slightly achy thighs, but only For a couple of hours before it went off. I seem to have had almost every side effect but only very mild, and pretty short lived (apart from the early vomiting!) Have you had the food cravings? That was my longest running SE, but I just went with it and stuffed my face for a few days! That seems to have passed now. It's the desamethasone that does that to you I think. Have a good Sunday xxx
Mariej2205

Hi all great to read your stories as you all seem to be coping really well!! I only wish I'm as brave as you all when I start... Still nervous about it being weekly and still trying to go to work. I think today it's kind of sunk in and didn't have a good morning but reading all your posts inspires me to get on with it and be positive. Hope you all have a peaceful restful night and a chilled Sunday x x x
jojo2

Hi, just started to have some muscle pains - as if I had had a work out the previous day (I am having to cast my mind back quite a few years to remember what this felt like). Anyone else having this.  Nausea seems to have past - I am day 11.  Taking my temperature daily and it is always seems quite low 33 -34C noone mentioned if that was anything to worry about.  Still quite tired but apart from all that, oh and constipation I am feeling ok!  As most have said chemo is bloody horrible but so far doable - I am due my next one on the 21st - Keep well everyone

riversidedawn

Keep sharing your news ladies. It's tough, but good to talk. Personally on fec I found my symptoms kicked in the next day. I had all my treatments on Friday as hubby works from home and could do school runs. Felt nauseous and totally wiped out over the weekend, gradually felt better Monday and Tuesday, back to normal and working Wednesday!

Once I moved onto weekly taxol there was no major up and down with symptoms.... Unfortunately just a gradual decline into exhaustion - but no sickness!!!

Just keep reporting ses to the professionals and they'll adjust your meds accordingly xx
Jayneyb69

I know what you mean about the glass of wine PC, say here with a glass of Pepsi max, whilst the other half had a glass of wine.

I keep getting my tablet combination mixed up, and I ended up taking my steroid at 5pm and not lunch time which I'm hold is not a good move as it will keep me awake, we I'll just have to see.

Think I've been fairly lucky do far.  I got a call from an oncology nurse from the hospital today to see how I was, said I didn't feel too bad, and she said I may get away with it now, fingers crossed, but don't want yo talk too soon.

have a good night everyone xx

PeggyCat
Community Champion

Thanks Hopalong and Bibi for your experiences - interesting to see what might come up and when.

The dexmethasone is certainly making me feel quite jittery and possibly a bit too "up" for the few hours after taking it. I had to force myself to relax although I don't normally find that too much of a hardship and I've just had a 1.5 hour nap.

Feel vaguely queasy now and very burpy. I've never experienced heartburn before but wonder if that that little joy is to come. I also think I smell a bit chemically - has anyone else notice this?

I'm also vaguely grumpy that at this time on autumn Saturday night I'd normally be settling down on the sofa with a glass of wine to watch Strictly Come Dancing but tonight it'll have to be ginger beer. Oh well, I don't think I've a lot to complain about really!

Good wishes to all. x

Ele J

Hello all you lovely people, sounds like most of you have avoided any serious sickness, which is fantastic as I think you usually know pretty quickly if you're going to be bad (i.e. Evening/night after chemo).  So pleased for you!   I'm now day 11 and am feeling pretty much normal (though have to confess am doing very little energetic so have no idea what my energy level would be like if I' was trying to do anything other than eat, watch films, gentle walk round the park!).  I would say I've had a series of minor digestive issues (stomach ache, mild runs, heartburn) but nothing debilitating and all resolved by themselves.   Each day I've thought, 'my tongue's feeling a bit weird - am I about to get ulcers?', or 'my throat feels a bit sore, have I caught something?', but so far none of it's actually come to anything, again, big 'touch wood' though.  I haven't bothered with mouthwash or anything, but thought I can do that if/when anything develops.  My major  food cravings have mostly subsided though still eating exactly what and when I fancy (son just despatched to buy me a Fry's Turkish Delight from the newsagent).  Hair still fully intact, but I think this week might be the one that changes.  My next one's on 21 Oct and I will then be half way through, as only having 4 sessions of AC.  Defo gonna ask for Emend though, as if I can avoid the vomathon next time I will be a lot happier.  Hope everyone's having a good weekend and continues to feel ok.  Sorry to anyone who's not feeling well who's reading this, but if so, remember that you will come out the other side, as I did.  Ele xxx

Emmalou

Yes Emma is a fab name 😄

i got ondansetron & metoclopramide for I between, I still feel nauseous but had some soup at lunch time & it's still down!! I was given a diary sheet to keep for SE to take back at next session & my wig referral has been sent which I am fortunate to get first wig free. Emma N xx

Rob em

I've got emend Barry, but only two for today and tomorrow. Not sure if they gave me one in hospital. I've also got ondansetron and then lansoprazole to take every day and dexamethasone for 3 days. Think it's those that are making me jittery. I've got some other stuff to take as required if the above doesn't work, but haven't done so so far.
hopalong

Afternoon All,

Looks like most of you have now had your 1st treatment. Well done,

I would definitly keep a side effect diary and take it with you to your next oncology review or chemo whichever comes first and then the medical team can prescribe the drugs to counteract things on your next session. I did this all the way through and a pattern seemned to emerge, for example most day 6 for me were when my mouth ulcers and sore throat started. Laxido/Movicol (on prescription) and glycerin suppositries are good for the constipation and even with help it would be day 4/5 before I went !!

I've read about some of your wig purchases, I agree it is annoying how expensive they are. I was lucky my health authrority paid the full amount for wigs so I got a £200 Rachel Whelch one free.

I cold capped and did loose most of my hair from crown forwards, but kept all the thickness at the back. It became most noticable from chemo 3 onwards. I found the weekly washing only, the worst part at first because my hair does get greasy quickly, but after a while it became easier and I used baby talc rather than dry shampoo most days to counteract the greasiness.

There are lots of you tube videos on scarf tying and I used the website Knots for hope for some non cancer looking headwear. I actually enjoyed matching scarfs with outfits and tying them in unusual ways.

Some other points are if you are ever admitted as an inpatient whilst on chemo ask about a wig referal as their is a loophole in the system which means you get a free wig if it is ordered when you are an inpatient. (The Mcmillan hair loss booklet will tell you more). If any of you are in a hospital/health fund, I'm in Simply Health, you can recoop 1/2 the price of your wig, it also applies to mastectomy bras. At the end of my chemo sessions I then submitted a claim to Simply Health and received £35 per chemo.

Also don't forget to ask your chemo unit about parking policy, mine gave me a chitty to take to the parking office which ment parking was completley free.

Re look good feel better, I went between chemo 3 and 4 it was about the right time for me as it gave me a little boost and was good to chat with others and share stories.

I found a local hospice that had a day unit and went there all the way throughout chemo and still go now. It had a complementary therapist and I had massages, reflexology, reiki etc weekly throughout all 6 sessions and it helped with some of the physical symptoms and anxiety. Its not for everyone and mine is particulaly upbeat and non depressing but I would say give it a go if you find your local hospice has something similar.

Some Mcmillan centres also offer a set number of complementary therapies, counselling, hypnosis, nutrition information etc and If you are near a Maggies centre, Penny Brohn or Haven (1 in leeds for the yorkshire lady) check them out too. The Haven also sends out a DVD called Haven at Home that has some interesting/helpful tips for people that can't get to a centre.  The leeds Haven also have an eyebrow tattooist.

I hope I have given you some helpful hints and tips that will see you through this unpredictable time and if anyone has any specific questions then please feel free to message me. If any of you are under 46 then there is a great private facebook group for support too you can request to join, there is a link to it in the young women and families thread in the people like me section of the forum. It is currently running an awareness campaign for October called #nottooyoung so you can read some stories on that page.

Sending love and gentle hugs from someone a year on from chemo 1 xx

bazza7676

Thanks BB. Is Lorazepram an anxiety medicine? x
Bibi44

Hi Bazza I'm from August. In answer to your question, if you have your chemo in the morning, most people start to feel a bit queasy or nauseous or sick ( if you're unlucky) that evening.  If you have it in the afternoon, then it's more like during the night/next morning. The next 2 days seem to be like morning sickness for most, which lifts the day after. We all seem to feel a bit weird about food for another couple of days/some get funny taste/other find things taste strange but even that has usually gone by day 6/7. Most had loads of food cravings the day after steroids end (usually day5). I  had a lot of SE, but I was over the worst by day 4 (counting chemo as day 1). If your wife has decided to do the cold cap tell her to take some painkillers an hour before. It really helps. People also swear by lorazepam. Good luck for next week. BBx

bazza7676

Did they give you Emend Emma? Everyone raves about it's effectiveness x
Rob em

I had anti nausea at the hospital before they started.  A ight little cocktail of tablets.  I took some more before dinner last night.  I dread to think what it would have been like without it Barry.

glad to hear from you Chris.  Sorry you were poorly but you sounds in good spirits.

i have some injections to start on day 5 and I checked with the nurse that day 1 is the day of treatment so day 5 is Tuesday.

Good to see another Emma.  Great name!!!

Emma D

bazza7676

Yep think of it as a countdown Emma. And you're right, you Nikki and all these ladies are definitely not alone x
Emmalou

Hi All, 

i had first EC yesterday, it was an early appointment so manged lunch after but I was feeling sick by 4pm, that's all I had to eat until some plain toast this morning! Managing water but was sick twice last night & still feel nauseous despite all the anitemetics, hoping it passes soon. Decided against cold cap when I got there & now paranoid my hairs coming out already!! Only 5 more to go. 

Very reassuring to read these posts, makes me feel normal in the grand scheme of things.

onwards & upwards 

Emma x

PeggyCat
Community Champion

Hi Chris, sounds like you are coping okay despite the disturbed night. Fingers crossed you have seen the worst of it. It is funny how we are all so different isn't it? I'm really anxious that I seem to be getting away with it quite lightly so far and am sure I'm going to pay later. There does seem to be some activity in my tummy but I'm hoping that it's moving downwards rather than upwards!

I don't seem to be suffering too much with sense of taste yet but I have been craving pineapple and had a few chunks with breakfast which tasted lovely and refreshing.

I don't know the answer to your question about which day is day one etc but would like to know too. xx

xylogal

Caffy, I counted from the first day after chemo. Don't know what the proper definition is.

I didn't venture out until day 3 when I went for a very short and very slow walk.

Now on day 15 and walked to the drs today for my flu jab and back - about 3km.

Head was tingly all night and expected to wake to a pillow covered in hair. Not to be - still all there and nothing came out when I washed it this morning. Hopefully the cold cap works ladies!

Caffy

Forgot to ask. When people talk about being on day 7 etc do you count treatment day as day 1 or day after? 

Caffy

Glad everyone is coping.  It's interesting how it's different for each of us. Here's my report:  I ate some chicken & veg for dinner & went to bed about 10, slept til 12 then felt a bit nauseous, got to sleep again but wok at 2 and was quite sick, but then felt a bit better. Took an ondasetron & metroclopramide at 3 which seemed to work (had taken a metro.... At 7pm too). Then slept till about 7am. Had 2 cups of tea with gjnger biscuits and a smoothie so far this morning, feeling ok & ive 'been' to the loo(!!) still in bed but will get up soon. Hope everyone has a good day. Xxx

PeggyCat
Community Champion

Hooray for the eagle Jayne. I'm sure that will make you feel better along with the fresh air. I'm not dressed yet but might venture to the bottom of the garden shortly. x

Jayneyb69

Glad your not feeling too bad PC, I might even venture out in a bit for some fresh air, I didn't dare yesterday in case something occurred, don't ant to get too cocky though. 

Barry I ate pretty much my normal diet yesterday including fruit and veg, luckily I love sprouts!! I did take a couple of laxatives before bed mad I can confirm the eagle has landed lol, just need to keep it moving even if laxatives are what's required x

bazza7676

She's taking her niece to dancing probably for the last time until chemo is done. Tomorrow we'll go into London for some Chinese food for lunch while doing some shopping in-between.
PeggyCat
Community Champion

No Barry, I can't complain so far. My eyes are very gritty and heavy on top of the tiredness but the lack of actually being sick so far has pleasantly surprised me. I'm scared to get too cocky mind and like Jayne am just waiting for the brick to hit. But, so far so good as far as that all goes.

Chemo nurse told me yesterday that you are most likely to start to feel it the day after - although she didn't specify what exactly. Her major concern was the bowels!

Do you and Nikki have anything nice planned for today or is it your big shopping trip for supplies?