cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

October 2016 starters

suebond88

Re: October 2016 starters

Hi everyone,

would just like to echo Sue (sus12) and thank Jayne for her help and advise - one year on.  Sounds like a long time 'one year', and I'm sure time will seem to stand still sometimes, but it is good to know that we can get back to a relatively normal life and focus on the 'end game'.  I'm focussing initially on December when my daughter and grandson will be flying in from Australia - can't wait.  One step at a time..

thank you too ladies, for the 'reviews' of cold capping - I will give it a go.  Had my heart ultrasound today, seeing Oncologist later and my date for first treatment has been confirmed as the 18th.  Just want it to start now.

sending support to everyone..

sue.

Sus12

Hi Jayne, thank you for your support and good advice. So glad you are doing well and for your encouragement to us all. I think the fear of the unknown and the waiting is the worst bit often. As you say, focus on the end game. Thank you Sarah for your post re cold capping. Great you are having success with it. I'm determined to at least give it a go!
Years ago women didn't have the benefits of diagnosis and treatment we have now and things are moving forward all the time.
Stay positive girls 🙂
Hugs, Sue xx
Sarah04

Hi ladies
I am cold capping too. I'm day 13 days post second chemo and so far have not lost any extra hair than I normally would pre chemo. so it's working for me so far. No shedding on pillow or clothes at all. As blueash said, it is uncomfortable and not for everyone but I find taking a painkiller an hour before helps.
Hope this helps for anyone wondering whether to give it a go. I'll see how I get on after another treatment and repost then!
Good luck everyone xx
Jayneyb69

Hello everyone, hope you don't mind me popping in and commenting.  I was/am a member of the October 2015 starters, do last year I was where most of you are now.  I started FEC-T on October 8th and my last chemo on 21st January this year, during chemo I managed a weeks holiday, a long weekend, cooked Xmas dinner for 10, even had chemo on New Years Eve and had people round that night. Don't get me wrong there were days I just lay on the settee with my blanket and watched Day time telly, what I'm trying to say is, we are all very, very different and will react to the effects differently, but it is doable, I am a great believer in mind over matter, which worked for me, I also continued to work all through my treatment, again for me it helped.  My friend decided to be off sick the whole time and that worked for her too, you will find your way and what's best for you.

a couple of things I found beneficial, a good thermometer to ensure you monitor your temp accurately. I had a Braun digital one from Boots, about £12.  Some good moisturiser as you skin can go very dry, I had Aveeno, non perfumed. Get you oncologist to prescribe some form of mouthwash, I did suffer with stuff tasting foul and ended up with thrush, several times.  One thing I could eat and taste was cold pineapple, and another godsend was ice lollies for my sore mouth (the choice in the winter months isn't great though), if and when you loose your hair, a very gentle shampoo like simple, or there is a shampoo bar in Lush which was recommended to me.

The advice I would offer, is take all your meds as prescribed at the right time, after each session of chemo, ensure you make a note of any side effect,  however small and tell your oncologist when you see them a couple of days before your next treatment and the can give you something for it,  I even had the numbing cream for my hand for when the did the chemo.

im now here, on tamoxifen after 15 rads as well, hair. Growing nicely, and generally feeling alright. If any of you want to ask anything please do, good luck to you all, you will have good days as well as bad, just focus on the end game.  Love Jayne xxxx

blueash
Community Champion

I am from the August thread and have cold capped. Still have lots of hair and no need for a wig (I did get one free) although I do shed a bit. It is very cold when you first get it on but it only last for about 5 mins then your head is numb and all is fine. I take a Nurofen an hour before to take the bite out of it.

swampy1901

One down - five to go!!

My first chemo was this morning and despite a restless night - the actual delivery was not so horrifying. I rather think it's what happens over the next few days that will be more of a concern. 

I also did the cold cap and it was not so bad. I took paracetemol and also had a thick headband for my forehead. Once you get past the first ten minutes - it all settles down and you can relax.

It's worth a try if it will help stop my hair going awol - if not - my wig is ready and I'm due at the hairdressers to match my hair to the wig so it's not too drastic a change!! I'm window shopping at the moment for sleep caps and other headwear

Sus12

Hi All,

Hope everyone is doing ok. I am now married lol. We had an amazing weekend with incredible weather considering it was quarter of a way up a mountain! Thank you to all for your good wishes. We couldn't have had a more perfect wedding. Back home last night with a bump though....greeted with letters for all my appointments! 😞
CT bone scan tomorrow. I'm so worried but have been trying not to be. Had traces of cancer cells in 4 out of 8 lymph nodes but no other spread in breast or outside those nodes so keeping my fingers crossed it hasn't spread anywhere else. I'm having a PICC line put in on Monday and I've ordered a Limbo sleeve so thanks for that advice. It will help a lot as the last thing I need is bothering about trying not to get that wet for 3 months! Also having injections to boost white blood cells after the 1st chemo. First chemo on 20th. Having 3x FEC and 3 x T every 3 weeks. Hoping I don't get too many SEs. I'm trying the cold cap to see how I get on with it but if I can't cope with it then I can't. I've had my wig fitting and have my selection of hats and Buffs so will see how things go. I know I'll probably lose my hair anyway as it's so fine and not particularly strong but I did read somewhere that the cold cap can help protect the hair follicle anyway. Anyone heard anything about that? Anyway best of luck and lots of hugs to everyone for this week. I'm sure we will all get through this and come out the other side :). It's good to be able to say what we need to say on this forum but also great to hear all the positive stuff and how well people are doing.
Sue xx
maryminder

Hi all, Picc line going in tomorrow and hopefully will get the results of my CT scan only two weeks overdue, fingers crossed, first chemo on Monday at 11am I will be on 3 x EC and 3 x T.

As I had been told I would lose my hair I had a fitting today for a wig so took the plunge last night and had my hair cut short, husband very complimentary said he prefers it short, have been getting together scarves and caps as well, the Buff Tubes (cheaper versions on Amazon just as good) are really easy to put on and accessorize.

I have been trying to prepare myself for Monday but am really anxious, and scared of the unknown I suppose, It's has helped reading all the comments on here, will let you know how I get on.

Best Wishes and Hugs to all

Mary

suebond88

Hi everyone,

just heard my first treatment will be  on the 18th.  Good to hear how everyone is coping.  Has anyone used the cold hat (Paxman)?  Am planning on using it, but just wondered how others are getting on with it.

great to have this forum.

Kaz58

Hi. I too have the injections but have found I am fine doing them myself, just forget to take them out the fridge for half an hour ! My hubby volunteered but didn't like the glint in his eye😂. Day 5 after chemo and feeling ok if a bit lethargic but have got a headache I can't seem to shift.  Have taken paracetamol but then realised I had not had coffee since treatment and wondered if this could be like withdrawal from the caffeine ??  Hugs X 

Joandthetribe

Hi Jo

Yes, I have also been given these injections - 1 a day for 7 days after chemo to boost white blood cells. My husband was happy to give me the injection but my chemo nurse asked several times if we would rather have a district nurse administer them. They are quite easy to do though and you are given a sharps bin to dispose of everything.

I think my husband quite enjoys feeling like he is on the set of Casualty 🙂
Sue C
Community Champion

Hi Jo

Yes, I also have these injections. They are given to you in order to boast your white blood cells. The hospital will probably arrange a district nurse to come round and do it. However I found the nurses reluctant to come out and they try and get you to do them yourself. I found a lovely friend/nurse who does them for me as I don't like needles!

Sue x

7oanne

Glad to hear that you are feeling a little bit better (Joandthetribe)

Just a quick question. Just been for my chemo pre-assessment today as its starting on Thursday. The nurse said that I will need to have some injections of GCSF. She said that they should be injected 5 days after for 3 days. She recommended that I do them myself if I can't get to the hospital to have them done (first time that's been said to me!)

Has anyone else been told this and is anyone doing this?

Jo

Joandthetribe

Chemo day 4 and I finally feel like some of the sicky, woozy fog is lifting.

Good luck to everyone having their 1st round this week. X
Mopsie49

Hi Blueash, thanks for your help x

blueash
Community Champion

Hello Mopsie, the waterproof PICC line cover is called a Limbo and you can get that on prescription so free because you have cancer. The others are just PICC line covers and you get them from Live better with cancer for about £18/£20 each those you have to pay for or else have the stockingette that the hospital give you.

assaritti45

HI Ladies

well thats the full body scan done and bone scan, not sure where i get results, i have heart scan and chemo induction tomorrow, then wig fitting tuesday and chemo wednesday, dreading it but know everyone does. hoping side effects are not too bad as have a couple of days and then i will have my twins boys back home.

hope everyone having chemo this week it goes well.

hugs 

lisa xx

Angywd

Hi everyone

Thank you SueHs for directing me here.

im having my first chemo on Friday and having read lots of msgs on here I feel there is a lot of information I don't know still.  I'm seeing the oncologist tmrw for a revised chemo plan.

My surgery results were much worse than expected and I am having a full body scan this week as well.  I'm still reeling from the results and suffering very badly with irritability, lack of concentration and memory loss.  Very frustrating for my children especially.. I'm finding it very hard to have any patience when they have the usual teenage strops about very insignificant matters!

Big hugs

Angie

Mopsie49

Hi, I was diagnosed with grade 3 triple negative breast cancer on 1st August. I had WLE with SLNB and breast re shaping on 6th September. I had clear margins and lymph nodes were clear. I discovered cording under breast running down abdomen last week and start FEC-T chemo on the 12th October. Feeling anxious - fear of the Unknown I think more than anything else. Have found this forum very helpful so far and hoping it will help in the coming months.  I am possibly having a pic line too and wondered what the covers are called also the waterproof ones for in the shower??  Thanks in advance 🙂

blueash
Community Champion

About fasting, you need to read everything you can by Valter Longo. As for me I have been doing intermittent fasting for years. I am taking a proton pump inhibitor so don't worry about the steroids harming the lining of my stomach. The chemo gives me dreadful heartburn and I take the Omeprazole for about a week. I have my chemo on Friday morning and eat dinner on Tuesday evening then nothing but water, black tea or coffee until Saturday breakfast. I take the Omeprazole on the Wednesday morning for a week. I take the steroids on Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

rubberbandgirl

Hey Truey, 

Thank you so much. I have been reading more positive stuff about fasting this afternoon so am even more frustrated at how disinterested my oncologist was about anything other than just signing up for the treatment! I read that I can have about 400 calories which I can have at breakfast and lunch (when I need to take the steroids) so I hope that will provide enough 'cushioning' for them! 

Truey

Hi rubberbandgirl,

I'm dipping in from the September group as I started right at the end of September and so am only a few days ahead of you all. Steroids are really not kind to your stomach - hence the instruction to take with food. I would definitely ask your oncology team about taking them whilst fasting. I had FEC 1 on 26th and after about 10 days had indigestion and gastric acid issues for a couple of days so it might be worth making sure that taking steroids without food won't make you more susceptible to that.

rubberbandgirl

Hi Blueash. Thank you so much for this. I have read Decca Aitkenheads article in the guardian and read an American study but can't find anything else. My Oncologist was really dismissive but I want to give it a go. I've now been given a prescription for steroids to take the day before, of and after chemo. This is when I would be fasting but they say to take with food. Did you have the same and does it matter if you don't eat? I've also read it's ok to have upto about 500 calories in soups etc like on the 5:2 diet for the same affect. 

Any informatuon really gratefully recieved! Xx

Sudzi

Hi all, 

I'm just new to this thread,. I had my first chemo session on Friday. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I to am having 3 x FEC then 3 x T every three week. I have been feeling okay since Friday,just have a headache and feel slightly nauseous now and again. I am a bit constipated though but will take something for that.

My visit to the Macmillan ward was actually quite pleasant, I had a nice nurse who told me funny stories about her life all through the treatment. She also gave me some very helpful information too.  I'hoping that I keep feeling this well as I am going back to work on Monday to see how it goes as I cannot afford to take time off sick. I live in my own and still have a mortgage and bills to pay.

I am getting a lot of support from my son's and my daughter in law, they are a great help just now.

swampy1901

Hi rubberbandgirl

Not yet - I start on Tuesday morning!.My appointment with Nuclear medicine Department for Heart Scan is the following day - be a bit late if the chemo is already causing problems but heyho!! But it means more needles in my veins to inject stuff there must easier ways to do all this stuff - I had an ECG before my operation but my operation was in another trust 48 miles away. Obviously these trusts dont communicate with each other otherwise why else duplicate tests?

blueash
Community Champion

Hello I am from the August thread and I fast for 60 hours before chemo and 24 hours after. I have had no sickness or diarrhoea or mouth troubles. I do still get very tired and I have a bit of neuropathy which started after the 2nd chemo.

I am used to fasting but if you are not I don't know how you would cope.

suebond88

Hi everyone,

i am due to start Chemo within the next few weeks - have an ecg booked for Wednesday.  I assume I will be told when my first treatment will be then?  I've been told that I need 6 lots of FEC - one every 3 weeks.  I know treatments vary from person to person, but this sounds like a lot?  I had a Primary grade 1 removed almost 3 weeks ago, and they found a trace of cancer in 1 out of the 4 lymph nodes  they removed.  Am hoping that this is all preventative, rather than them suspecting cancer elsewhere.  Can't help but worry even though everyone tells me there's no sign of anything elsewhere.  Every ache, niggle, bit of wind etc.  Makes you wonder!

Joandthetribe

Hey rubberbandgirl, good to virtually meet you too 🙂 it is so frustrating when they mess you around with date - I have been quite lucky so far and was given my 1st 2 dates for chemo on my first visit to the chemo ward. Maybe ring them Monday if you haven't heard anything.

Bit of a post EC chemo number 1 update - felt absolutely fine until 3pm when the nausea kicked in and was then sick from 5pm until the morning. Took one of the 'only take if you really need to' anti sickness tablets which has really helped, now just sitting on the sofa feeling washed out listening to the kids argue!!

Hope everyone else is having nice non-eventful weekends x
rubberbandgirl

Thanks so much Swampy. Have you had your first chemo yet? Xxx
swampy1901

Hi rubberbandgirl

Your blog is so entertaining and I can empathise with so much of it - I got told about the morphine machine and like you was offered paracetemol!! Conned!! In fact the only time this didn't happen was when I came back from the operation and they asked my pain level - I was like I can't localise it but something stings like a bee and it hurts!! Well whatever they gave me sent me off to LaLa land but the wooziness is ok for the first night of being woken every 30 mins to stick a doppler on my reconstructed boob! But boy did it make me feel ill when they gave it to me afterwards!! I went without painkillers for a few hours one day just so that I could have paracetemol to sleep with that night. They wanted to give stronger painkillers but they all came with wooziness and spaced out-ness and eventually vomiting!! I did tell them post operatively I can technicolour yawn for England but they reckoned they knew better!! Cue lots of grey bowls!! and loads more anti-emetics

As for the PICC line if you are offered it - take it - it will make the chemo/blood testing so much easier than trying to find a vein every time they want to treat you or take enough blood in readiness for Halloween! I realise not every unit offers it but my oncologist said it was an option - I literally said what ever makes it easier and more bearable - do it!! The fact that it has been in while they fanny about deciding when to start my treatment has just meant the district nurses have another job to add to their list of treatments when seeing me - the nurses are wonderful and have done much to boost my mood when I have been in one of my many tearful episodes since this whole BC saga began.

Finally the fasting - can't offer any advice on that - I like my food too much!! Cat Wink

Flopsy

Hi Lisa,

The same combo worked for me. Had 3 x FEC and 3 x T. By the time I got to the 2nd T my tumour had shrunk so much it wasn't visible on the ultrsound any longer.

The side effects however, were too strong for me. Had to change from a 3 weekly to a 4 weekly cycle and then cut the dose of the T.

In the end though I survived all 6 infusions and had a great response.

Flopsy

If the nausea/vomiting doesn't pass Knitwit then go back to your clinic and talk to them. Anti-sickness medication is varied and there are lots of different options to prescribe.

I had sickness all through my FEC's and then it was only tackled in the T part. We had to use 3 different drugs of different types in the end. Took a long time to find the right three.

Good luck!

assaritti45

I wonder why so many people have different drugs, i am triple negative and having 3 x fec-t and 3 x tax, are there stronger or not so stong? 

hugs 

lisa xx

rubberbandgirl

Hello. I'm supposed to be starting chemo this week. I have had a meeting with my oncologist who said 'someone would call me'. This isn't really helping my anxiety levels! I have no idea what a pic line is and now wondering if I should be asking for one?

I have read about the benefits of fasting to minimize side effects and am thinking of trying it. Is anyone else doing this?

my story so far is on this blog: https://anonappreciationofbreastcancer.wordpress.com

Good  luck everyone! Xx

rubberbandgirl

Hey Swampy,

sounds pretty epic so far!  Hope you are doing ok. I am supposed to start this week. X

rubberbandgirl

Hi Jo, nice to (virtually) meet you. I'm 42, also 4 kids, 18, 16, 12 and 6. And! Like you I had long brown hair which I have just had chopped to 'stage it' for the kids a bit.

I start chemo next week but haven't even been told what day! It's not really very helpful on the anxiety front! 

Looking forward to hearings how everyone is getting on. Xxx

swampy1901

Still not started my chemo as the oncologist insisted that my vacuum pump be removed before starting treatment. I had conflicting opinions from the oncologist, district nurses and the consultants at the hospital which was annoying to say the least. However the machine is now off and tummy wound just being dressed now although it's a little uncomfortable as they did some poking around with silver nitrate!! In addition the surgeon has set up two weekly appointments as chemo will now slow down recovery of the wound but she admits that the oncologist probably wouldn't want to delay chemo much longer as I'm well outside NICE guidelines.

But been busy in the meantime - now have my wig and am booked into hairdressers to cut my hair shorter so the transition to wig (if needed) will be less drastic! Been window shopping for hats but am still not sold on scarves and bandannas but my head session at the local hospice in a couple of weeks time could make me change my mind.

swampy1901

Still not started my chemo as the oncologist insisted that my vacuum pump be removed before starting treatment. I had conflicting opinions from the oncologist, district nurses and the consultants at the hospital which was annoying to say the least. However the machine is now off and tummy wound just being dressed now although it's a little uncomfortable as they did some poking around with silver nitrate!! In addition the surgeon has set up two weekly appointments as chemo will now slow down recovery of the wound but she admits that the oncologist probably wouldn't want to delay chemo much longer as I'm well outside NICE guidelines.

But been busy in the meantime - now have my wig and am booked into hairdressers to cut my hair shorter so the transition to wig (if needed) will be less drastic! Been window shopping for hats but still am sold on scarves and bandannas but my head session at the local hospice in a couple of weeks time could make me change my mind.

PeggyCat
Community Champion

Sue,

Do you have a Maggie's Centre near to you? Although they are not specifically focused on BC I believe they offer some similar treatments and counselling to The Haven. I've not been to one myself but I've heard good things about them.

Congratulations on your wedding by the way. I hope you have a lovely day.

Nice to read on here that several of you have got the first chemo under your belts and didn't find it too bad at all. 

Happy Saturday everyone. 

Ruth xxxx

blueash
Community Champion

Gracie, the PICC does go into your arm but they thread the line up through the vein so that it does go nearish to your heart. Your port will be under your skin so you will be able to shower with it and it will not require as much attention. A PICC has to be flushed every week/10 days but the port can go for much longer but since you will get treatment every 3 weeks it will not inconvenience you. With a PICC you have to go to hospital once a week or some people get a district nurse to come home.

Gracie

That sounds awful, Knitwit, and more than a bit scary. I hope you are feeling better this morning. I have no recommendations for nausea, I'm afraid. I had terrible nausea during my pregnancies - 24 hours a day throughout the entire pregnancies. I tried everything without success, so I'm expecting more of the same during chemo Smiley Sad.

I'm a bit confused about the difference between a PICC line and a port. I'm having a port as I've had nodes removed from both sides, and I know that will go into my chest area. Doesn't a PICC line go into your arm? How on earth can it have got anywhere near your heart? 

Khajista, that's very worrying, but at least they spotted it before anything happened with the chemo.

I'm sorry things haven't been so good for you too, Sarah.

Well done, Joandthetribe and ka252 for getting the first chemo out of the way. It's very reassuring to hear that things can go well. Hopefully you don't get too many side effects.

i have heard nothing but good things about The Haven, Ruth. LOL about the health food shop. I have spent a fortune since diagnosis at Holland and Barrett. I love mooching around health food stores now. It's a shame there aren't more Haven sites around, but I believe other places might provide similar services. I have been told that a local hospital provides some complementary therapies for cancer patients, but I haven't looked into that yet.

Good  luck with the money raising today, Mary.

And finally, all together now - here comes the bride, here comes the bride ........ Hope everything is all you ever dreamed of today, Sue. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Gracie xx

Knitwit_ni

Quick update, also had my first chemo this week on Wednesday, Fec. Had a minor hitch first, so a long day! Had picc line put in on Monday, then on Tuesday night when I tried to sleep on my side had the most horrendous feeling in my chest, as if someone was putting pressure on heart. Very weird, first I thought maybe I was imagining it or was anxious about the next morning's chemo, but when I rolled on back it was ok. Happened again when lay on side with picc line in....not nice. Don't know if anyone else ever had this?

When I saw oncoogistl next morning thought I'd better mention, and presumed they'd think I was a hypochondriac....but got sent for x-ray and turns out picc line was in too far and was probably irritating my heart muscle! So line pulled out 3cms, 2nd x-ray of day then finally had chemo! 

Very drunk feeling after iv steroids and pins and needles feeling in nether regions (which was a bit surprising!), then rest went ok! 

Unfortunately been very sick after, vomiting first night and next day, and now just very nauseous. Sickened of ginger already....moved onto flat coke (not great as I've not had a sugary drink in about 5 years!!!)

Fingers crossed nausea will pass soon. Good luck all x

Knitwit_ni

Sus12 good luck with your wedding 

maryminder

HI Ladies

Picc line going in on the 12/10 and first chemo session on the 17/10, found the talk very reassuring todayand met some lovely ladies to share stories with.

Also had another 50ml in my chest expander today only another 200 to go, will be holding a Pink Prosseco and Pizza Pop in afternoon on Saturday so hope to raise some money for Breast Cancer Care and have an enjoyable afternoon in the process.

Best wishes and Hugs 

Mary xx

Sarah04

Hi ladies

I'm glad to hear some of you have got through round one. Well done! I had round 2 last week (EC) and I'm still suffering. ONC has been really good though and they have decided to only give me 4 rounds now instead of 6 with reduced dose of 90%. They are completely happy with that so guess I am too.
Joandthetribe I'm pleased to hear you did ok with cold cap. I'm cold capping too and I'm 8 days post round 2 and as yet I've hardly lost any hair. No hairs on pillow, etc at all. So hopefully that will continue. I do have a morbid fascination with running my fingers through it though to see if any comes out!
Good luck to all
Sarah xx
Kaz58

Hi all, quick update from me too. Had my first EC chemo yesterday which wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. Had it at the Christies in Manchester , nurse was fabulous and very reassuring. Felt like I'd had a few too many gins on the way home! Felt nauseous last night but managed to get some sleep. Found that Belvoirs Farm ginger cordial with hot water has helped with the sicky feeling. Not really hungry but that seems to be the norm for first few days from what I have heard. Well onwards and upwards and wishing everyone well. 1 down 5 to go!! 

Joandthetribe

Quick update...1st chemo done and dusted and so far so good.

Cold cap was nowhere near as bad as I thought it was going to be - cold (obvs) but bearable. Head now feels a bit 'swimmy' but nothing horrendous at all.

Chemo ward was very busy but my nurse was amazing and lovely.

Nothing to be scared of ladies xxx
Sus12

Thank you Azara.

Khajista I hope all gets sorted out for you. I don't know about that but I'm sure someone else will. I'm sure they're doing what you need but wishing you all the best and lots of hugs .

Hugs to all,

Sue xx
Khajista

Hello everyone!

Went fot my first chemo regimn TCH as advised by Oncologist, and just before i start the doc find out no FISH test was done on my sample after surgery!!  They were giiving Herceptin based on my biopsy tests done earlier in July, where Her2nue was +3 for left breast and +2 for righ breast. Any one went through same situation?? Need help badly weather i need hercipten or not with Her2nue 3+

Azara25

Hi Sue / Sus12

Just want to wish you both well for your upcoming wedding tomorrow - enjoy your day xxx