cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

October 2016 starters

Angywd

Re: October 2016 starters

Hi fairycake
I had something similar, back pain right down to my pelvis for a couple of days. Like you it then just dissapeared on its own. Hot water bottle and paracetamol eased it. I thought I'd got away with the hair loss as I was day 20 yesterday 😨. I'm going to cold cap again today in the hope that it will save at least some of my hair.
Hugs
Angie
Xx
Angywd

Hi, thanks Livvy, Flopsy & Fairycake, it's definately the worst part for me especially as I know it will be my eyelashes and eyebrows next...I did get some Argan oil yesterday to try and make brushing it after washing it easier next time.  I wonder why it goes all matted?  

Having picc line fitted today before chemo this afternoon, feeling resigned to the fact I have at least a week of feeling rubbish coming up.  At least I know how it is going to be though.  Still really struggling with chemo brain...is anyone else the same? My memory seems to have upped and left!! 

Hugs

Angie

x💞x

fairycake2

Sorry!

Have any of you been offered counselling? Or perhaps you're better at communicating with your family and friends than i am.

fairycake2

Hi all, the hair going is just about the worst thing isn't it! Something else for me to expect, probably next week from what most of you have said. Perhaps doing the cold cap keeps it going for a week or so longer, Angwyd. The throbbing pains lasted most of the day and by 6 pm I was crying out with sharp pains towards the bottom of my back and down through my thighs. Very strange, not like any thing else I've experienced before, certainly not muscular. But - they have now disappeared completely! 

On another note, my GP referred me to a local place which has offered me counselling, so I had my first counselling session today. It was very helpful, actually, although I felt a bit of a fraud because I guess I'm coping fairly well. It was great to be able to talk about how i feel without worrying too much about the person listening and trying to protect them. Have

Flopsy

Hi Angie,

Just wanted to let you know that something similar happened to my hair. I was also FEC-T and used the cold cap.

My long fine hair became so matted on FEC that I had to cut some of the knots out. I had lost all the oils from my scalp (and the rest of the body). Tried massaging oil into my scalp but made no difference.

Ended up losing most of my hair in the end (but enough around the sides to be able to put it up and hide the bald patches) but it began to grow again on T. 

I've still got my hair in a silk nightcap in a drawer.

Not surprised you cried. I certainly did.

livvy

Aww Angie,
I really feel for you about losing your hair its just something else we have to face losing, along this horrible journey,I to cried like a baby when I shaved mine off I defo didn't rock the bald look! But a few days down the line & its not to bad after all, its just the initial shock of not having hair but you get used to it,hopefully you wont lose much more fingers crossed for you! But either way you did look lovely in your wig! Good luck with your second fec. XX
Angywd

Hi everyone!

fairycake yes I definately had the odd day around the middle of this first cycle when I felt OK and then of course we go and overdo it.... And go back down again!

Sadly....I did cold cap and have 2nd FEC-T tmrw, washed my hair this morning and conditioned as usual...the result was akin to a birds nest, took 10 mins to brush it through and have loads coming out. Cried all morning, for some reason I feel the need to save the hair, am hoping this will pass as I accept this is happening 😨 It's a bit weird having a pile of matted hair on my dresser! 

I would swear my partner has been reading this thread as he has bucked up beyond belief in the last couple of days....maybe a temporary show of support...we will see! 

Love to all

Angie

livvy

Hi fairycake2,
Yeah the shaky weak feeling is normal, too me it felt like a really bad hangover lol I felt like this from days 3-8 post chemo and was back to normal more or less after that in time for the next one,although I have been told from the more experienced on the forum the fatigue gets worse as the treatment goes on so I'm prepared for that! I'm all up for little naps😆 just listen to your body and anything you cant do will wait until next week when your feeling better! Pleased your doing well swampy,and massive hugs & sympathy to those who or not(((hugs))) to everyone. XX
swampy1901

Day 3 of round two - up early for hospital appointment 48 miles away so had breakfast really early along with prescribed meds. Felt a bit green and burpy in the car - but thankfully no more than that.

Yesterday felt fatigued with achey arms and legs but the concensus from many threads on these boards is to do some of exercise or walk. So took some paracetemol and went christmas shopping with my daughter for 3 hours but had the obligatory coffee break with cake half way through lol!! Last night I was up with the owls for three hours - that would be the steroids - be glad when they are done and I can sleep relatively normally.

Hope everyone is coping and using whatever mechanisms work for them. The first afternoon and evening after chemo - I threw everything that I had been given for anti-sickness -and it seemed to do the trick but those melt on the tongue ones taste revolting!!Smiley Tongue

fairycake2

I had a great day yesterday, the sun was shining and I spent the hours gardening and enjoying the light. Today I feel very odd - wobbly, weak, shaky, aargh! I had concluded from yesterday's good day that I would be fine until next chemo, clearly over optimistic! Do others have this? Rather than feeling terrible then gradually getting better until next chemo, ups and downs throughout the cycle?

livvy

Hi all,
Had my second fec yesterday so far so good felt nauseous all day but also had emend added so seems to be doing the trick so far today,I also was given lansoprazole for heartburn and indigestion so hopefully they will work also! Ive accepted my hairs gone now I think once I took the plunge and shaved it off I felt loads better it coming out in handfuls was making me more distressed,going to make the best of today and tomorrow as I learnt last time after the steroids had finished i crashed for a few days. Keep strong everyone and remember we will get there! XX
suebond88

Good morning everyone,

had my pre Chemo 2 checkup with my Oncologist yesterday - everything was fine and I was deemed 'fit' to have the next round on Tuesday.  They have changed my antiemetic because I am still a bit nauseous on day 17.  My body hair has decided to shed, but my head hair(touch wood) is holding on - I did cold cap, and will do so again on Tuesday.  Was told this morning that I looked tired and had lost some weight....well,  I am fighting a battle at the moment so am bound to look tired, as to the weight - it must be because I can't drink a glass of wine without it giving me heart burn!  I like my food too much for it to be anything else, so I know I couldn't Fast - but if it works for you and you know you can do it - why not.   I have been for a reiki session, and though very sceptical - did find the whole experience very relaxing and have booked another session.

we have to keep positive especially about our appearance - we are all beautiful.  This disease is a temporary blip in our lives and we will get through it.

Stay strong everyone.

SueBxx

Skye

Hi Sel84

I had a heart scan and it was all done very discretely.  Had on a hospital jacket that I had to open up and it only took about 10-15 mins.  I’m pleased to say that they found one!!

Not had any issues down below, but I’m only one Day 3 of my first cycle.  Contact your nurse for advice and get it sorted – no need to suffer!

Good luck for yours!

Skye xx

Skye

Hi Mumofmany

Try asking for Domperidone – I had Emend, but found taking Domperidone worked when taken together. Hope you feel better soon.

Skye xxx
Gracie

Mary, hope you feel better soon. Fingers crossed for your sister.

Gracie

xx

Gracie

Thanks Blueash. I know I can't do the fasting. I'm not even thinking about doing it for the side effects. I am pre-programmed to get the nausea. I get motion sickness and suffered virtually every single day of my pregnancies. At the moment, it's the only side effect I'm getting, although my limbs are starting to ache a little bit - probably due to the injections.

I'm concerned more about making the chemo work as well as it can. From what I've read, getting into ketosis due to low carbing is as good as fasting.

I'll have to give it a go. Perhaps start on Friday with the hope that I'm low enough on Wednesday. It's quite hard as I'm hungry all the time even though I feel sick and have heartburn. 

Intermittent fasting might be a way for me going forward after the treatment ends though.

Gracie

xx

blueash
Community Champion

Gracie,

I have done intermittent fasting for years so I have no idea how you would get on if you have never done it before BUT read everything you can get hold of by Valter Longo.

I fasted for 60 hours before and 20 plus after. Cannot be more precised because my appointment time varied but my treatment was usually on Friday morning earliest was 9 latest 12. My last meal was Tuesday at about 7 pm and I would not eat again until Saturday at about 8 am. I had nothing but water or black tea/coffee.

My side effects were better than most other peoples in that I was never sick, never had the runs, I did not get mouth ulcers or cold sores or oral thrush. I did still get the fatigue, my blood counts still went low, I got the metal taste in the mouth and it did not stop my eyes watering or neuropathy.

maryminder

Hi All,

This is my "good week" before second dose of EC on Monday and I was doing quite well until last night, crashed out at 7.30 feeling sick and with a headache, not much better this morning not sure it's related to chemo or just not well so have been checking my temp before taking paracetamol and it's been around 37.3 for most of the time, I have an appointment for thyroid scan (hope its clear) and bloods tomorrow so will mention it if no better.

Yesterday I went to my local Post Office to send a parcel back to Nicola Jane the mastectomy bra company, the lady behind the counter asked if I had been there and we got into conversation, it turns out she had BC 4 years ago, she had reconstruction using implants but these were damaged by the Radiotherapy, so 4 months ago she had the Diep Flap done (I am leaning towards this), she is so pleased with it and has offered to see me when my treatment is over to talk to me about it and even show me the results, I was so amazed at her kindness, I had a bit of a cry when I left.

I am being very gentle with my hair at the moment I had it cut short before chemo, but tugged it the other day out of curiosity and and yes it came out,  fully understand how you are all feeling re boobs and hair I feel the same, it is unfair on top of everything else but as Blueash said only temporary and we will get through this.

When I was diagnosed I pleaded with my sisters to get checked as neither had ever had a mammogram, my little sister (she's 55) had hers on the 25/10 and has just recieved a call back appointment for this Monday, they want to do more xrays and a scan, hopefully as she has quite large boobys they are just being exter vigilant, fingers crossed.

Hugs and Best Wishes to you all

Mary XX

Sue H-S
Community Champion

Hi Sel84,

Yes, the problem you describe can happen. It is because our mucus membrane is affected by the chemo.

This is the explanation from Wikipedia - for better understanding - A mucous membrane or mucosa is a membrane that lines various cavities in the body and surrounds internal organs. It consists of one or more layers of epithelial cells overlying a layer of loose connective tissue. It is of ectodermal origin and is continuous with the skin at various body openings such as the eyes, ears, nose and mouth, the urethral opening and the anus. Some mucous membranes secrete mucus, a thick protective fluid. The function of the membrane is to stop pathogens and dirt from entering the body and to prevent bodily tissues from becoming dehydrated.

It may be an idea to call your GP, tell him/her that you are on chemotherapy and what your symptoms are.

They should hopefully be able to help. Initially I tried Sudocream, which helped and I used wet wipes to ensure I was as clean as I could possibly be. HOwever with me the whole thing developed into mucositis and I was given antibiotics to take, when the symptoms occurred post chemo treatment - which I then took for one week only, until the next time. Towards my 5th and 6th treatment, i did not need the antibiotics anymore as everything had settled down.

Hope this helps.

Hugs

Sue xx 

Sel84

Hi Angie,
I hope your next chemo goes well for you. I have a wig ready but need to take it to be cut as it is quite long, makes me feel like I have hair extensions! I am almost looking forward to wearing it in a strange way but not looking forward to the day my hair starts to go, I am day 12 of cycle 1 so I guess it could be next week. I think I will cry all day but the moment it starts to go I will shave it off, I have already had it cut to my shoulders and actually quite like the change.

Slightly embarrassed to ask but has anyone else had issues with their bottom? I know piles can be a common side effect but I don't think I have this. I haven't had any problems with going to the toilet but I have started to get an itchy and slight sore feeling down there, is there anything I can use to ease the uncomfortable feeling?

I have my first heart scan today, as I will be on herceptin, not looking forward to being exposed for 40 minutes... hopefully they'll cover me up! Also a bit apprehensive about going further afield that 5 miles down the road, I haven't ventured too far from home since my chemo but need to just get on and do it as I don't want to be confined to the house!

Big hugs to everyone
Gracie

Morning, ladies. Just checking in after a few days of feeling utterly miserable due to the constant nausea. I feel slightly better this morning, but need to do a few things and know that moving about will shake it all up again. On the bright side, there is no way I am putting weight on during chemo!

So happy you are feeling better, Fairycake.

Angie, such a tough thing to deal with. My initial thoughts were for you to get rid of him. There is nothing worse for dragging you down (no, not even all this) than a man who is wrong for you. However, these are tough times, and perhaps you need to get through the worst before dealing with it. Or perhaps you just need to give him permission to leave. Please don't worry no-one will want you afterwards as that is simply not true.

Blueash gives very wise advice about how unimportant what we look like really is. However, I think this is probably easier for those of us who are older and in happy, secure relationships to take on board. At the moment, I would be very, very happy for all my hair to fall out in an instant in exchange for the nausea to disappear. Yes, I know I'm going to have the hair loss AND the nausea at some stage, but you know what I mean.

Blueash, were you able to stick to the fasting all through your chemo? I low carbed for the first one, but I am surviving on carbs now due to the nausea, and I don't know if I'll be able to make the switch. NorrNormally, I eat very healthily, but that's gone to pot at the moment as many things smell or taste terrible. I'm worrying a bit about it as I have triple negative and I want to help the chemo to work as much as I can. 

Gracie

xx

Sue C
Community Champion

Hi Angywd

I too was in a relationship that wasn't working, and after a lot of soul searching will be moving out in a couple of weeks. Obviously it's a huge decision, because like you I think who's going to want me now and how will I cope on my own. But better that than being with a man who is not able to support me through the toughest times. 

I know a lot of ladies are waiting for their lives to return to normal, but I'm going to use this time to change things for the better.

Good luck with whatever you decide x

Sue H-S
Community Champion

Hi blueash,

So glad to hear you like that eyeliner - it has been a godsent to me, as I have very sensitive eyes - and it is waterproof. So it stayed really well all day.

You are right re eyelashes - I stocked up on some for when the time came, but never used them.

As the lashes fell out, initially a few where left. I was reluctant to put false lashes on, as when removing them - the few I had would likely be torn out. So I started using the liner. It also requires a special glue and glue remover, so they do not become loose due to sweat and moisture. Also - it is very difficult placing them, so they look natural, as you won't really know where your lash line is.

When you are bare of lashes and apply the eye  liner to the top lid, it is a good idea to also dot a line onto the'water line' so you so not have a skin coloured line towards your eye.

As to brows - I bought an eyebow wig, lol - but again - never used it, as I became quite handy with the eyebrow pencil. The usual stencis did not work for me - they were far to big!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=eye+brow+wig

Real hair eyebrows

Interesting alternative!

Hugs

Sue xxx

blueash
Community Champion

The false eyelashes I would leave alone - my eyes were always watering and if you are not used to them now would not be a good time to try them.

Instead use a pencil to apply eyeliner top and bottom to give you some definition. Ditto for your eyebrows.

I had my eyebrows tattooed on as soon as I knew I was having chemo. Sue recommended the brand Urban Decay and it is very good, I got a travel size one from ebay in dark brown.

I cold capped and my hair thinned but I still have lots so I don't need my wigs but I have got a couple of "toppers" just wide extentions but you need some hair for them to attach to.

Just stopping the chemo has made a huge difference to the way I feel - remember I started in August and mine is behind me now.

Angywd

Thank you Truey, that's great to hear about the prosthesis and that you can look natural in a swimming costume!
Angie
Xx
blueash
Community Champion

Angie, you need to take care of you and if this relationship is going downhill be strong and say goodbye.

I had a  breast lump scare when I was in my 20s which turn out to be nothing. I can recall that when I was that age  what I looked like was very high on my priorities. I thought my husband would go off me and that I would be disfigured and ugly. As I say it turned out to be nothing just a blocked milk duct (I had been breastfeeding my last baby).

This time round and I am much older and I hope wiser and my thoughts and feelings are entirely different. I thought if he goes off me I am better off without him - and I meant it. He did not have any such thoughts and has been wonderful throughout this ordeal.

Your body is just a shell to house the "you" inside. Perhaps we are all on this journey to bring that thought home to us. As you go through life your priorities do change - when you have small children they are your entire focus and they should be. When they grow up you have to find a new focus or go mad with "empty nest syndrome". This breast cancer is a huge challenge for all of us and it will force us to re-focus areas of our lives. We may not want to but we are not being given any choices - so if you feel disfigured and ugly you can acknowledge that. Then realise that it is temporary, and that it will pass. You will get better, your surgeons will sort you out physically, the mental and emotional areas might be harder but please know that you are not alone and we are all going through it. Some of us cope better than others xxx

Angywd

Thank you mumofmany, you sound such a strong and positive person. Hats off to,you coping with 5 children and breast cancer
Angie
Xxx
Angywd

Thank you everyone for your kind words. I don't know what I would do without this forum.  

Fairycake im so sorry you are feeling the same, I can't help but feel he just won't walk away cos he knows how bad it will look on him.  I've tried so many times to make the break myself so he doesn't have to feel guilty.

on another note, has anyone tried any false eyelashes that they can recommend?  I've never been able to do them before but I know I will want to use them for going out once mine go.

Hugs

Angie

x💞x

Truey

Hi Angwyd,

Keep taking as much pride in your appearance

as you can. I had my mastectomy and node clearance before chemo and I can tell you this is doable! I had my final prosthesis fitted yesterday and externally I look completely normal.

Even in my underwear it is difficult to tell anything is different. My surgeon left a neat and low scar and I'm looking forward to wearing a new swimsuit on holiday next year ( we have the best excuse for new clothes!).

Relationship wise, I have a friend whose partner left her during chemo 13 years ago because he could not cope with the strain on an already rocky relationship. It was the best thing that ever happened to her. She subsequently met a man who accepted her completely for who she is and they have a fantastic time living life to the full.

Keep going - we are all here to support you ❤️

Kaz58

Hi Fairycake2 , thanks yes, try to keep upbeat although easier said than done some days as everyone going through this knows. I know what you mean about not feeling feminine or even sexy and I have even caught myself looking in the mirror and staring hard but not really recognising the face staring back which is a bit scary. Then I snap out of it, give myself a talking to and look for a positive. Today that positive is the fact that it's such a beautiful autumn day and I shall get myself out for a little pootle round the garden. 

Hope everyone else has the best day they can, love and hugs Kaz xx

fairycake2

hi Angwyd, it's really tough isn't it. I don't know what i can say to help cos I feel the same way . maybe not to worry about the relationship or make any decisions now while you are so vulnerable? The most important thing at the moment is to concentrate on keeping well physically, after this is over there will be other issues to tackle. Keeping one's sense of identity and self pride has got to be the priority right now. Like you say, you will pop back up, you can't keep a good woman down! 

Mumofmany

Angywd please don't stay in a relationship that you don't want to be in, my first marriage broke up while I was five months pregnant with baby number four I thought the same that my life would now be over who would want me with four young children but when the baby was three months old I met someone without lolling he just came into our lives and have never looked back we have been together twelve years now and have another child together age six and he is supporting us all through this horrendous journey put yourself first at all times you need to be stress free to give the chemo the best chance and prevent side effects lots of love xx
Mumofmany

Had chemo no2 yesterday and despite anti sickness drugs and steroids being given alongside I felt shocking before leaving hospital, I cold capped again but had to give in before the end it was horrendous this time round I won't be that again I have enough pain to cope with, I went to bed and have slept on and off until morning but have been very nauseaus during the night iv been perscribed emend to take today and tomorrow so I'm hoping that works today x
Angywd

Hi fairycake

i know exactly how you feel, I had a lumpectomy which revealed a much larger tumour than they thought.now I'm having 6 months chemo then mastectomy and I'm in tears all the time at the thought of it. Bald and with only one breast.  As I am having radiotherapy after the mastectomy so they won't do the reconstruction for at least 6 months after which means I have to go through next summer with one breast. I've always taken pride in my appearance so it's hitting me hard.  I know everyone one says they don't define us by how we look but it's how WE feel about how we look that's so hard to overcome.

im in a relationship which isn't working and im scared to end it cos I think who will want me now...?  It's killed my self confidence.

we are strong and yes we do have to battle on with this but I feel,like I've lost myself and it's only going to get worse.  

Just having a low moment but I will pop back up!!

hugs

Angie

fairycake2

Well done Kaz, still sounding upbeat! I am really dreading the loss 

of my hair, which will start in about a week. It really won't suit me at all, so it's the wig for me. One's femininity is attacked by this disease in such a cruel way: first a breast has gone, then the hair, which is even worse. It's hard to imagine feeling attractive or sexy although I suppose it is early days, perhaps when this is all over, that will come back. I'm sure we all feel like this in bad moments, w we just have to put those feelings on the back burner while this is going on.

On a positive note, the nausea is subsiding so I feel better, like i might manage to do more than droop from one room to another for the entire day! 

swampy1901

Had chemo number 2 this morning and now the nausea is beginning to creep in. This is despite anti-emetics being added to my infusions this morning. Just taken a metoclopramide - so we'll see how things go! Definitely not cooking dinner tonight lol!!

The hair is hanging on and I cold capped again today -but there is some shedding - but more from eyelashes and elsewhere!!

Swampy

Kaz58

Good morning lovely ladies. Just been catching up on all your experiences, all so familiar! Day 5 post EC chemo cycle2 and not feeling too bad. This time I just feel much more lethargic although thankfully the nausea has so far not been so bad and I've not needed any tablets other than the ones I came home for first 2 days. I've found nibbling on corn/rice snacks and strangely enough celery,carrot and houmous has helped along with the hot ginger cordial. My hair finally got the better of me about 10 days ago, couldn't stand the handfuls coming out everywhere, it had to go. I asked my lovely hubby to do the honours, bless him, not easy for him either. However out came the scissors and razor and there I was 10 mins later sporting a very fetching style! I actually didn't get upset and hubby was very complimentary , it was in fact strangely liberating. I have worn my wig a few times out and about and no one has batted an eyelid. And if they do it's their problem not mine ! One thing though it does make your head warm so I suppose the fact the weathers getting colder is a bonus. Well here's to each day getting a bit better , My best wishes to all those with treatments coming up , be strong and remember this is just a moment in time we are having to go through, focus on the end game. Love and hugs Xxx

Truey

Hi Lisa46,

my my hair started falling out on Day 14 of cycle 1. It was more or less gone by Day 18. I too had a headache for 3 days and a weird feeling like the one you get if you brush your hair the wrong way. Once it was nearly gone I got my hairdresser to shave my head as I really needed to wear my wig and it doesn't fit as well over bits of hair! They were really helpful and made sure not to use the closest setting so as to avoid any scalp injury. Once it was shaved I felt strangely liberated! No more hair all over the house and just another milestone faced down.

Weirdly, at Day 15 of cycle 2 my other hair is hanging in there.....in fact I had to ask the chemo nurse if it was safe to pluck my eyebrows, which were threatening to join in the middle! Did that today but did notice that it didn't hurt at all, so maybe those follicles are dead too....

I'm used to the wig now. It is similar to my own hair and I haven't seen anyone do a double take when out and about. It helps me feel normal and I wear it as much as possible. 

It it is a pain but at least our hair will grow again! The loss is only transient and a small price to pay for the best outcome from our cancers!

Rock those wigs!,

Hugs Sue x

livvy

Hi lisa46,
Tingling sounds just like what I had I also had a headache for three days my hair started shedding slightly around the same time as you by day 16 it was coming out in handfuls,more so though because I couldn't stop pulling it out which was a really bad habit I had! Day 18 I decided too shave off what was left I cried like a baby whilst doing it😐 because my hair is something else this s****y cancer has taken from me! But it will grow back I know, I braved going out in my wig for the first time yesterday on my own and you know something I felt pretty good! And if anyone knew it was a wig they didn't let on lol! So wear your wig with pride because its a symbol of a fight we're all going to win! Keep strong girls and I hope everyone else's side effects aren't too bad or getting better good luck everyone with treatment! XX
Angywd

Hi Lisa

yes I felt the same as you, very nervous about wearing a wig outside the house so I took the bull by the horns and wore it out of the hairdressers straight from fitting, see my pic further down this thread!  That said I'm feeling a little anxious about having to fit it on myself as well as the hairdresser did.  Haven't worn it since but at least I know it can look good when the time comes.  I cold capped and haven't had any loss yet and it's day 18.  I saw the chemo nurse yesterday and said to her I haven't lost any body hair or eyebrows etc, she said it will happen and more than likely in the next week.  So I won't know if the cold cap has worked until I start to lose hair elsewhere. 

Im due for next chemo this Friday and I also asked if the effects will be the same as the first one do does it have a cumulative effect the more you have. She advised that yes it does get worse the more you have....not what I wanted to hear!  Preparing myself for another awful week next week... 

Love to all

Angie

xx

Lisa46

After asking about the hair. It's day 11 and my head is tingling, could this be the start of losing my hair? I've got a brilliant wig as a back up and I've practised with it and feel confident at home but heading out will be a different matter. I've got a concert to go to on Sunday and praying I can hold on to my hair until then. Can any of you ladies share your experiences of wearing the wig for the first time?
Truey

Hi Mumofmany,

I started right at the end of September, so on Day 14 of cycle 2 today. Just to let you know that although the pattern of what SE cropped up when was almost identical to the first cycle, the intensity did vary quite a lot, so you may not feel so bad this time.

Where I go the steroids and ondansetron are infused on cycle 1 but given as tablets when you arrive for cycle 2. If it's the same where you go, remember to eat within 1-2 hours prior to your chemo appointment to protect your stomach from the steroids.

Hope it goes well this time. X

Mumofmany

Had my bloods done this morning and all levels are ok so good to go for chemo no2 in morning, I'm dreading the thought of all the side effects again iv only just got over first lot it's a strange feeling going to hospital feeling good knowing ur going to feel shocking when they have finished with you but needs must and it will be worth it I hope x
maryminder

Hi All

Sorry to see some of you are really suffering, I too thought the constant burping was normal but will mention it to the nurse when I have my next chemo.

I drove my new car today for the first time on my own, not normally such a big deal but my old car was written off two weeks before my surgery and hubby has been doing all the driving since, only went to the opticians but to was so nice to just do it, will stick to local driving for now though.

Spent some time yesterday practicing tying scarves and other things as hair is definately coming out now,  was nice to be doing something about it, I have a place booked on one of the Look Good pamper sessions at the end of November, quite looking forward to it.

Picc line flush today, hope it goes better than the last one.

Hope your all feeling better soon, love and hugs

Mary xx

fairycake2

So sorry Gracie, I think we're both feeling pretty s*** this morning. Thank you for posting replies, people, they do really help. 

I am burping and nauseous before taking metoclopramide! I thought I'd take that to make me feel better!

Gracie

Oh God, I feel so sick this morning. I'm not too bad until I move around, and then it seems to shake it all up. I have just had a shower and now I feel awful. So sorry others are going through this too. I have 7 more lots of chemo to get through. The thought, at the moment, is truly terrifying.

Sorry for being such a wimp this morning.

Gracie xx 

suebond88

Nausea was the biggest thing for me too - managed to get my antiemetic meds changed, and the burping and turbulent tummy eased too.

hope you feel better soon

sueBxxx

Sus12

Hi Fairycake.
Don't worry burping is common lol especially if you're on Metoclopramide. If it becomes more like heartburn though you can take Gaviscon which comes in liquid or chewable tablets. Check with your chemo unit but my chemo nurse advised that. You can get a prescription for it or buy it over the counter.
The sickness is common but if it continues for longer or becomes worse or is affecting your daily life and more importantly your appetite too much then there are lots of different anti sickness meds you can be prescribed so make a fuss and ask to try something else than the one/combination you're on. I soldiered on but after 6 days I was still very very nauseous and struggling with food then phoned my chemo unit and they changed my tablets. It did work. Even if you feel sick then try to keep your fluids up - 2 litres a day if you can manage that. It helped me to keep an eye on how much I was drinking over a day and to take sips continually rather than drinking a lot at once as that made me feel more sick. I also stuck to drier foods, small meals and dry snacks like dry toast, Carrs water biscuits, dry cereal etc. Sometimes sucking a sweet can help. A friend of mine swears by Werthers Originals but I've gone off sweet stuff weirdly! Good for my weight though no doubt :D.
Hope you feel better soon,
Hugs,
Sue xx
fairycake2

Thank you, that's really helpful, I shall be on the phone to the nurse later. 

Mumofmany

Hi yes it is normal but all treatable ring the nurses and they will give you something else for the nausea/sickness and the burping too I suffered with that but there are med for everything my nurse told me that chemo is bad but not a prison sentence if you can't get out of bed at any time or leave the house for more than a day then you need different medication do not just suffer hope you feel better soon xx