357729posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

October 2016 starters

Highlighted

Re: October 2016 starters

So I had Fec 3 on Wednesday. Taken ondansetron for 2 days, steroids 3 days and lanzaprosole for indigestion every day including chemo day. Today I've had nothing get at all but now I'm feeling good really really quesy. No indigestion just dry mouth and yucky. Not sure.what to take. I have metoclopramide as a back up antisickness sickness or I could take the lanzaprosole. No temp. Feeling horrible but don't want to take stuff if I don't need to. Odd that it's come today unless it's due.to the gcsf injections x
Highlighted

Hi 7oanne

I have had problems with my hands and feet. With my hands I have had real soreness, dryness and have been using nail oil for massaging in and loads of hand cream as my fingertips were peeling and I have done everything possible to protect my nails. Dark nail polish is now on but the nails are prone to being brittle and snapping  and of course I wear rubber gloves when doing stuff around the house.

But I've not been using the nail oil on my toes and a couple of nails are beginning to discolour but it would not be due to UV rays!  My heels were really sore for a week to ten days and it was only due to slathering on loads of moisturising cream that I managed to stop my heels splitting. In fact if anything it looks like bleeding beneath on my nail bed. Also I have had problems with small nose bleeds so i'm not sure if the two are related.

Typically everything is almost back to normal - even my eyes which were red, sore, puffy and constantly weeping but I sorted that with anti-histamines and eyedrops from the chemist. But I'm sure my vision has been changing so will need to book in with the optician after everything is finished.

Round 5 - T and my penultimate treatment (can you tell I've been counting down lol!!) and I'm due to see the oncologist tomorrow before my treatment so will mention it to him when I see him and see what he has to offer.

Swampy

Highlighted

Hi jo
Oddly I have had trouble with my left heel as the cycle goes on. Just before its very very painful and I thought it to be plantar issues then it disappears until the 3rd week and is really painful. I taped my heel this time to try and squeeze the fat back from the sides to the heel and it did seem a bit better. Perhaps we should mention it to someone? X
Highlighted

Hi everyone.

Just a quick question - Has anyone had problems with their heels?

My husband gave me a foot massage two weeks ago and when he went around the heel it hurt.

Since then the heel has been red and has been hurting to touch or rest on. I have been putting on moisturiser so that the skin won't crack but that is all. I haven't really thought much about it as I have been more concerned with being in hospital and other side effects but my hubby said that it has now been two weeks and that I should get it looked at. This has now worried me!

Is this a common side effect as I haven't seen any posts about this before? My other heel is slightly red too but not as bad as the one he rubbed.

Any advice?

Jo xx

Highlighted

Morning everyone, and Happy New Year to you all.  Let's hope that by the time this first quarter has ended we are all well on our way to a much healthier and happier year.

it'S been an emotional rollercoaster for me this last week - having a wonderful family Christmas with a house full - my washing machine has never been so busy, but also, having to say bye to my daughter, her husband and baby grandson (who I'm sure was saying mammaa for grandma) who all flew out New Year's Eve back to Oz.  Our son left for London yesterday, and the house has never felt so empty - they've all been a real tonic to me.  But - I now have my goal.  I will be on a flight to Sydney by the end of the year!!

i have a meeting with my Oncologist on Wednesday - my white cell count has been very low, so I'm hoping everything has settled down so I can have my FEC on the 10th - 5/6, so for me the end of this Chemo phase is in sight.  My meds have been tweeked to help my nausea which is great, but the main se is the tiredness - I'm sleeping 11 hours a night and am still tired!  My consultants appointment has come through for the 30th Jan, to discuss my next surgery, I should then have an idea of the timeline for both the surgery and radio.

to all of you  suffering with the T side effects (which sound horrendous), please find the strength to carry on.  We can get through this.

Keelybelle - welcome to the forum, my heart goes out to you being so young (a good 20+ years my junior) with such young children - it's hard enough with 'kids' around 30!!  But so good that you have the wonderful support of your husband.

Let's get through this everyone - we Can do it.....

best wishes to all.

sueBXxx

Highlighted

Good morning and a Happy New Year to all of the superstar ladies on this site. 

I am am on cycle 5 (T) right now with the last one due on 10th Jan.  It seems strange to hear everyone around us making new year resolutions - mine is just to try and get safely through the end of chemo; things like losing weight etc. seem less important than usual! When Big Ben chimed in 2017, my friends all cheered, whereas I just wanted to cry to see the end of 2016. We all have such a different perspective now that it is difficult for family and friends to fully understand, which is why I really could not have got this far without all you support - THANK YOU!

Regarding oncologist appointments, where I am we are supposed to see someone before each new cycle. This did happen 3 times then fell apart because they now have so many new patients that there are literally no formal appointments within the next 6 weeks! Consequently, I gave just had to be forceful when seeing the chemo nurses so that they can go and ask for medical advice on tricky SEs. It was OK last time and resulted in my Filgrastrim injections being reduced from 5 to 3 to help control my bone pain. This time I have numb fingertips and big toes, so I shall be voicing loud concerns again so that they can consider reducing the dose of docetaxol, if that is what's needed.

I hope everyone has the minimum amount of side effects on their next cycles and look forward to us all successfully completing treatment in 2017.

Happy New Year 🎉🍾💕💐🍀🎉

Sue O XX

Highlighted

Hi Keelybelle.
Difficult with young kids but I'm sure you've both done exactly the right thing and handled it well :). I found it very hard even with my two in their 20's. At the end of the day I'm still their Mum and so it was very difficult but I was as honestly as I felt I could be with them. They still worry I know so I feel I need to reassure them and be as positive as I can while still being honest about things.
Do you have support as a family? Also my hubby is great...amazing in fact as my friends have been but I still found chatting to my 'breast buddy' as I call her through the Breast Cancer Care advice line 'Someone like Me' support. We talk about all sorts now and often have a laugh about things. I've found her invaluable as someone who has been through similar circumstances and who I can talk to about things that sometimes I need to talk to with someone who's been through it all. Sometimes you just need that despite how amazing out family and friends can be! They also try and match you up with someone similar in age, although that isn't really necessary it's more about just feeling you can talk and ask about anything. You might find it helpful with you finding yourself in this situation so young.
We're all here to support you in any way we can though 🙂
Hugs,
Sue xx
Highlighted

Thank you Sus12. 

I am so very lucky to have the husband I have. We've been together for 17 years so he knows me inside out and knows exactly what I need from him I.e. sending me to bed at 7.30 he he

My children are 13 and 6 so this has definitely been a trying time but they both know what is going on and understand as much as they can. Telling them wasn't fun and we obviously tailored what was said to each of them. We try to be as open and honested with them as we can be. 

Highlighted

Hi everyone,

Sharz,I know how you feel, I didn't have an appointment with the oncologist before my next T either,I was just lucky that he appeared in the chemo lounge while I was having my picc line flushed so I an managed to have a chat there and then.  I would however ring the oncologist secretary and voice your concerns and see if you could get to see him before Friday (if only to alleviate some fears and side effects). I'm having my dose reduced but I think the reasons for that is the fact my white blood count went down soo low that they don't want it to happen again ( there not the only ones) .

Good luck with Friday I'm having mine on Thursday (and I still feel nervous ) 

big hug Jo xx

Highlighted

Keelybelle sad you have had to join us especially at such a young age. My heart goes out to you. You've come a long way and had to go through an awful lot but your strength obviously comes from your family and your positive attitude. I for one am so grateful for the amazing support my husband and two girls ( both in their 20's ) have given me. It is such a roller coaster and the biggest challenge we will possibly ever face. It's so hard to deal with all physical, mental and emotional toll breast cancer deals us with. All I can do is send you very big hugs and lots of love and hope that like all of us on here you find the extra support we all need and thankfully, get.
Love and big hugs,
Sue xx
Highlighted

I've just joined this forum.

I was diagnosed mid September and started T-FEC in October. First 3 cycles (Docetaxel) were hard physically. The aches, pains, fatigue and outright exhaustion where awful. Add nausea, runny tummy, rashes, hair loss, skin tenderness, sore nails and numb finger tips it was a barrel of laughs. 

My first 2 cycles of the FEC have been different. Nausea is out of this world. Have 4 different meds none of which seem to make the slightest difference (maybe they do but to nausea is just really bad I don't notice). But so far I've found this to be easier to recover from. I feel awful for the first 5/6 days but as soon as the nausea does one I almost feel 'normal'. I can empty the washing machine without getting out of breathe, I can sit on the toilet without feeling the burn of lactic acid when I squat to sit and stand, and I'm not being sent to bed at 7.30 because I fell asleep on the sofa again. 

My final cycle of FEC is 10th January followed by MRI on 26th and meeting with surgeon on 30th. Mastectomy will follow shortly after that. 

At 33 this is definitely not what I envisioned my life to look like but this is it. I've got a fantastic husband and 2 awesome kids who force me to get up every day and carry on. They make me laugh and they keep me going 😁 I'm a very lucky lady. 

Highlighted

Totally agree. I know just how you feel Sharz. It's your body and we have enough to deal with. Just talking to the oncologist might help but you def need to talk to someone to talk through how you feel and the se's you've had. I'm seeing the consultant cancer nurse next Fri before my 2nd T on the 12th Jan and I will be armed with a lot of questions. ..! If I don't get the answers I need I'll be contacting the oncologist, although as we only get locums from somewhere else in the country every few weeks I won't know who it is yet again!
Think how far you've come from when this all started though and how you have got through it all up to now. It's a tough struggle but we all know it will be worth it in the end. Some things can be helped with some tweaks in meds etc so get the advice and support you need from the medical people to help you get through this last bit.
Lots of love and big hugs,
Sue xx
Highlighted

Hi from the September starters threads!!

I just want to reassure those of you who are dreading the second T cycle and to tell you my experience.

I had a nightmare of a time on the 3 FEC - relentless nausea.  I was terrified of the T cycles after reading some ladies' experiences. The first T was nausea again and aches and pains from day 5 to 10. Numb fingers, nose drips and watery eyes - had none of these on FEC.

Second T was much the same as the first - certainly no worse.  I had the trots on the first T day 5 to 8 (like a slurry spreader!!) but none during the second T.  So do not worry too much.  I got through it ok.  The best thing was that from day 14 onwards I felt so much better and the nausea disappeared.  That break meant I started to feel a bit stronger.  I hope this is of some comfort.  I am having the last T on Tues 3rd and can't wait to get it over.

Stay strong and take one day at a time:)

Aine

Highlighted

Sharz I'd call the oncs secretary and insist on seeing one of the team. Where I am - Worcestershire we seem to have a meeting with an onc before each round. Not necessarily the main man but he explained that every Friday there is a meeting where they discuss patients with specific issues. The Secretary I called was very helpful and also moved my appointment to a Tuesday so I did see the main man.
They should be available Tuesday? Xx
Highlighted

Hi everyone 

we made it through Christmas and New year.heres to us all getting on in 2017. 

Having said that I have my 5th chemo on Friday and I am still very worried about it due to SE after last one . I find it hard to open packets and things as I cannot grip due to tender fingertips .My toes and feet also ache and tingle in the evenings . I am not due to see my oncologist again now so don't know what to do I am really struggling knowing that I have 2 left to go . I'm due for my blood test with nurses on Wednesday do you think that they will contact oncologist to maybe lower the dosage ? Or should I try and contact oncologist myself . ??. 

I am not usually like this I have been very positive throughout my treatment but this last one has really effected me and keeps playing on my mind , friends and family say only 2 more to go but they are not going through it . 

Any advice please😊

Sharz

Highlighted

Hi everyone

Well day 19 post 1st T of 3 and I'm feeling reasonably normal - taste buds are still little random -some things taste ok and others are still bleuggh!! But I can enjoy a cup of tea again now!! 

The general fatigue is lot better but it can still floor me on occasion - not that the cat is complaining - she likes to share a warm, cuddly snooze!!

The itchy, sore and watery eyes have improved with eyedrops from the chemist and loretidine which I used when on the filgastrim injections - works brilliantly except when outside in the cold, windy weather - can't have it all can we? lol!!

The general pain has eased with the exception of my operation scars which have been prone to being uncomfortable and painful. Weird - when you consider that there have given me little bother pain-wise despite the fact that they were compromised by a haematoma and have only recently gone totally dressing free just before Christmas and my operation was 4 months ago!! The stabbing pains on my scars were bad enough to resort to painkillers earlier this evening - just another thing to add to the list of bits and pieces to mention to the oncologist on Tuesday when I have round two of T!! along with a couple of prescription renewals.

I can't make up my mind - from reading of other peoples experiences whether to dread round 2 as possibly being worse or thinking been there, done that, got the t-shirt -what else can this throw at me? But hey this is the penultimate treatment - after this - one to go and I've nailed it. Radiotherapy and Hormone therapy next!!

Stay positive everyone - 2017 is a whole clean page for us to kick cancers' butt!! Happy New Year!!Cat HappyCat HappyCat Happy

Swampy

Highlighted

Angie I'm really happy for you that you've been able to enjoy a glass of wine or two and taste a meal at last! :). The relief must be immense! I'm on day 10 and still can't taste anything (except Bovril and marmite 😄 ) but my mouth isn't quite so sore so apart from not being able to face eating anything, horrible taste in my mouth all the time and the Tax trots (sorry! 😞 ) I'm just hoping that today is the start of a little bit of improvement...... One day at a time and celebrate the little things :). I'm sure that 2017 is going to be a good year for all of us.
Love and hugs,
Sue xx
Highlighted

Hi everyone

Olddawn yes I found the mouth soreness far far worse, actually it was unbearable with the T.  It started around day 5 and lasted over 10 days, soreness and dry mouth, thrush and ulcers.  One day the nurse came in to find me in tears cos I could hardly speak.  Eating or drinking anything hot was out of the question!   I'm now due my next chemo Friday, and have today been out for a lovely meal and actually enjoyed 2 glasses of wine, I'm so chuffed!  No one else understands what an achievement this is!! Woo hoo!!😄

Happy New to you all, I for one am booting out 2016 and hoping 2017 is going to be kinder to us all 💞

BIG 🤗 hugs

Angie

xxx

Highlighted

Wishing you all a Happy New Year and hope 2017 brings better things for everyone still going through chemo. XXX

Highlighted

Jo good for you! I think if we feel we can have a bit of control, however small over all this, it helps. I hope the next one is easier for you.
Wishing everyone a happier and healthier New Year with lots to look forward to and enjoy when all this treatment is over!
Love and big hugs,
Sue xx
Highlighted

Angywd - I could sleep for England as well after Christmas, although I am starting to feel a bit better now. I forgot to mention, that with T the mouth problems seem to start earlier in the cycle than with FEC and seem to last a bit longer. On FEC I got a dry and slightly sore mouth about 7 or 8 days into the cycle and was advised to start taking the Fluconazole from Day 10. With the T the problems were worse (also included sore/ swollen throat with difficulty swallowing) and started around Day 4 or 5, and I had to start taking the Fluconazole earlier. With FEC the problems lasted about a week, and with T they lasted slightly longer, but my mouth and throat (if not my taste) were back to normal by the last week of the cycle. So although it may be horrible now, with the right treatment it will eventually go away.

Highlighted

Hi Sharz. Yes I got some Difflam and heard about the Fluconozole on this forum and mentioned it to the chemo nurse who said well it takes a while to start so if you have it after Christmas you can get some from the consultant chemo nurse. Great but it started on C. Eve! No one could get me anything as everything shut for 4 days but on call doc finally gave me a tablet on Boxing Day but it was well set in by then. When I see the consultant chemo nurse at end of next week for check up and blood count I'm going to insist they give me it beforehand this time! Plus all the other stuff. I've got gelclair too but it wasn't enough for the oral thrush. I really hope you don't suffer as much after your next T.
Sue xx
Highlighted

Hi everyone

Yesterday I went for my picc line flush and bumped into my oncologist in the Chemo lounge,so I grab the opportunity to have a quick word with him about ending up in hospital for two nights and my side effects so he tapped up my notes on the pc and has lowered the dose for next time (next  Thursday ) I asked if this would affect the effectiveness of the drug and he said no. So hopefully a smoother ride next time 🙏.  I still feel anxious about it though. Hope everyone manages to have a happy New Year's Eve 🎉( I shall just be staying in and hoping that next year will be a better one )

lots of love to all Jo xxx🎉🍾

Highlighted

hi Suz 

the oral thrush sore mouth lasted a week I was already using difflam the oncologist gave me fluconazole which I will ask for next time and take before it gets hold . I had the sore mouth after my last fec as well so hope it doesn't get worse after next T . I also been given gelclair as well on Xmas eve . 

Sharz

Highlighted

Ladies has any one tried asking for fentanyl patches they release morphine over72 hours via the skin so unlike the ups and down of tramadol and all its side effects it is much better. However I don't know their availability apart from pastime care but do ask x
Highlighted

Livvy, Sharz and Sus12 - sorry you are feeling so bad because of the SEs. I think we all have at least one 'wobble' at SE point during chemotherapy, so what you are feeling right now is quite normal. I wanted to throw in the towel before I even started on T (after the second hospital admission!), when I read about the SEs. But I was persuaded to carry on and although it has been difficult at times, I have managed to get through the whole course, and with a bit of luck and the support of those around you, so will you. I think I may have been better briefed and prepared for the mouth problems and pains - some hospitals clearly do a better job than others. They can and should give you something for the bone / joint pains if Paracetamol and Ibuprofen are not enough, and should have warned you about the sore mouth and throat and advised you on how to prevent ulcers and thrush. For example, rinsing with salt solution, using dry mouth spray and Difflam spray which you can get from the chemists. They should also give you something to clear up ulcers if you have got them (e.g. Gelclair) or to prevent/ treat oral thrush (e.g. Fluconazole). But unfortunately, there is nothing they can give you for the funny taste, the fatigue and the sore fingers. I've still got a bit of a funny taste at the end of the final cycle (it's a sort of sweet taste rather than a metallic taste which some people seem to get), and I don't know how long it will take before it goes away. All you can do is find things to eat and drink which are palatable to you, and cut through it. The only thing you can do with fatigue is give in to it when it is really bad, and take gentle exercise (e.g. short walks) when you feel up to it, because you do feel better afterwards. If you are getting pins and needles or numbness in your fingers (neuropathy) as well as soreness, you should inform your BCN, as they may have to reduce future doses to prevent long-term damage. Hope this helps and that you are feeling better soon.

Highlighted

Angie if I was there I'd give you a big hug! A little ray of hope......! I hope I'm like you and the ulcers/soreness/taste go soon.
Sue F xx
Highlighted

I meant emoji but my fast text doesn't recognise the word! 😄 xx
Highlighted

Yes we seem to be struggling with this one but I'm sure we'll all beat it! Where is a strong arm emotional when you want one? :D.
I've found that gently brushing my teeth more often with minty toothpaste helps take the horrid taste away just before I try and eat. However my diet now consists of tonic water ( seems to cut through the horrid mouth feeling), fresh pineapple or tinned in natural juice, fresh pineapple juice ( nurse said not concentrated), marmite on soft wholegrain bread and I've found...warm Bovril drinks! Guess that's not surprising as I like marmite and it's the one thing I've been able to taste and eat even through the very awful 10 day day and night sickness I had on the FEC. That all seems a long way away now I've started the T so this will be over I know. ....eventually!! Small cubes of mature cheddar cheese helped when I felt very sick on FEC and I tried a small piece earlier and it was ok and I could taste it so I'll add that to my huge exciting food and drinks list 😄
Sharz how long did your oral thrush/sore mouth/horrid taste last?
Sue F xx
Highlighted

Hi everyone 

wow we sure are all going through it, thank goodness for this site 🤗

I'm 2 weeks since first T.  Thank god my mouth is now back to normal and ulcer free...Sue it is coming to you soon!  How happy am I to enjoy a nice cup of tea again!! The simple things are the things its hard to go without....  the thought of going through it all again makes me want to cry 😰  And sleep has finally come to me as well, can easily do 10 hours a night no worries !!   I see my oncologist next weds so will be asking her how to minimise the s/e for the next one.  I really can't bear to thInk of going through the bone and mouth pain again 😱   Don't even feel,like I can't enjoy the next few days running up to the next chemo cos it's on my mind all the time.

Livvy I know exactly what you mean, I really don't want to have the 2nd T, my chemo nurse told me the 2nd T is worse, don't see how it can be!!!  You should definitely ask for some morphine tho... And yes we are all brave, having poison pumped into us and dealing with the bloody awful effects of it!!

Big hugs to everyone

Angie

xxx

Highlighted

Hi 

hope everyone's coping ok . I had my first T on the 16th as I was having it I wanted to just sleep the tiredness hit me straight away , I also had the aches and pains  , sore finger tips along with horrible taste then sore mouth and oral thrush . Oncologist said we'll  carry on , mouth got worse and hit a real low did not want to carry on as I don't want to go through these SE again . There's only 2 more but found this very difficult. I did manage to enjoy Xmas but I am not looking forward to next Friday for my 2nd one. I know I'm not alone and we are all going through it but found this one very hard to cope with .

xx

Highlighted

Hi everyone,
Hope your all doing ok and had a good Christmas despite the side effects.
Had my appointment today with the oncologist I was hoping he was was going to at least give me something for the bone pain no such luck! Told me to carry on with ibuprofen and co- codamol 😐 he also reduced my steroids to 4 a day instead of 8 because of thrush,so I'm dreading my T next week I'm really hoping its not going to be as bad as the first it sure as hell couldn't get any worse! And the fatigue is something else I'm sooo tired and lethargic its unreal! Despite all the horrible side effects I keep telling myself its not forever! Believe me ive felt like throwing the towel in and not having any more chemo but then I come to my senses and carry on, only two more to go. were all doing this ladies! How flipping brave are we!! XXX
Highlighted

I'm using Oncolife drops daily + lots handcream and then put nail polish on for special occasions etc. No problems with nails so far but I've still got 2 T cycles to go....!
Anyone know of anyrhing that could help to take away or reduce the awful constant taste I've got in my mouth? My mouth is still very sore but the taste is disgusting 😞
Sue Fxx
Highlighted

I have seen ladies wearing cooling gloves during the t part of chemo. Does that protect the nails I wonder?
Highlighted

Hi, got gel nails yesterday, they look great and should last unchipped for weeks, thanks Truey for your reply
Highlighted

Hi Everyone,

My understanding about the nail varnish is just that dark colours cover any discolouration caused by the T, rather than it helping prevent problems. I saw a comment that T is light sensitive (which is why they cover the infusion bag with a black cover) but I can't imagine that keeping light out of our nails would stop it affecting them........

Lots of advice is to use dark polish but my chemo team don't like it at all and told me it was important to see the effects of T on the nails. Not sure why as there is little they can do if the nails are affected?

Most of the time I'm using clear varnish over a treatment basecoat. I am using dark colours for special occasions though as I can't really see why not.

hugs

Sue O xx

Highlighted

Gel Polish does reduce the amount of oxygen entering the nail bed which I can only assume may affect the blood supply to the nail? Interesting question x
Highlighted

Hi Auntyjuile,

Hope it's all running smoothly for you and that you've managed some lunch.

Love the sound of the glittery nail varnish, I'm on the T cycle (second one next Thursday) I would love to know too why painting nails helps ??.  I didn't get round to it, I also got mixed reactions from the chemo nurses who said it doesn't make an difference. But if it helps I might be tempted ( did you do them yourself?) 

big hug jo x

Highlighted

Hi girls, hope you are all well, I'm in hospital now having my first T. along with herceptin and pertuzumab, here for 6 hours checking for reactions! Hope the bring me some eats soon am starving. Any girls on the same treatment as me? Not sure what to expect really, have painted nails black (with glitter, it is new year lol) why is this spose to stop nails dropping off? Hugs to all xxx
Highlighted

Hi fairycake,
Don't feel bad about having private health care - we have more than enough other things to worry about!! I seem to be at the same point in the process as you & will start T on 19th Jan. I am NHS patient at Marsden & the consultant told me I would have treatment every 2 weeks, but that if it gave me problems it may change to weekly as people seemed to tolerate it better.
Karen x
Highlighted

hi Snail88,
really interesting to hear what you said about clarityn type products helping with the injection pain. I have to use Beconase nasal spray twice daily for allergic rhinitis and so far, touch wood, I haven't had too much bone pain from the gcsf injections. I have been able to cope with some paracetamol. I wonder if it is the allergy spray helping!
Karen
Highlighted

hi Fairycake2
I also had my last EC yesterday afternoon - hurrah!
And now have the paclitaxel to look forward to - boo 😯. Not looking forward to those - sounds a bit scary. I had a 'middling' night - not good, but not as bad as many I have had. As my chemo cycles have gone on some of the side effects seem to have taken a little longer to kick in, but have then lasted longer. on my 1st round my taste was affected during the infusion. Now on the morning after cycle 4 my cup of tea tastes ok! If cycle 3 is anything to go by my tastes will be messed up by this evening & tonight won't be good. Are you working through your treatment or do you get to nap during the day when you can?
I didn't go for the cold cap as I don't tolerate low temperatures well; (I have Raynauds). I just embraced the inevitable, cut my long hair very short & then shaved the last bits off when it nearly all fell out after cycle 2. I have got used to it now. I hope the cold cap continues to work for you and that its tolerable. sorry I don't have any advice or experience to share on that front.
Angie: so sorry to hear what a tricky time you are having. I really hope things improve for you send. sending lots of hugs & positive thoughts.
Karen.
Highlighted

hi all, I had my last EC yesterday and spent a predictably sleepless night last night despite reducing the steroids dose. So now I'm both tired and nauseous - great. I asked for a couple of sleeping pills at the chemo unit yesterday, but no, of course not. But no steroids during the Taxol cycles apparently so at least that's something. 

The cold cap seemed even more excruciating than usual yesterday and I really don't think I can bear it for 12 lots of Taxol. But I do still have my hair. Anybody else in this situation?

Highlighted

Thank sue. I was given diflam rinse and gelclair by my chemo nurse on a just in case basis so definitely get them to look. Benadryl sounds like a good idea might try some x
Highlighted

Someone mentioned benydrin? to take before the dexamethosone. I got flushed cheeks for a couple of days but not burning like you so didn't need to get any. Doc was useless this eve. Despite me being in pain and not eating because of what feels like ulcers all over my mouth and a sore mouth and throat he said it looked all ok to him! Gave me yet another rinse in your mouth stuff and no more flucanzazole tablets. Hubby said I was in for 3 mins....last appointment 😕 . Off to chemo unit for PICC line flush and change first thing so will get a second opinion. I can't put up with this much longer 😞 .
Sue Fxx
Highlighted
Highlighted

Does anyone have any advice for burning red cheeks while on dexamethasone. I only take it for 3 days after chemo but the redness I have on my cheeks is really really sore. Xx
Highlighted

Really filgastim injections and pain there is some very strong research that suggests loratradine sold as clarityn is more affective than morphine based medication. Worth a try? It reduces the histamine made as part of the white cells production. Xx
Highlighted

Thank you Ruth for the advice and ray of hope that it will get better! I've asked my hubby to get lots of pineapple juice and pineapple chunks on his way home :).
Mary we seem to be at the same time on T and having similar side effects :(. I resorted to sleeping tablets for the last two nights. On Naproxen for the back spasm pains but those are definitely from the injections as I'm just at the end of the 7 days of them and it's happened every time. I have some Oramorph as well if needed. I hear what you're saying about the treatment. I've always tried to be upbeat too but this is hard. You are absolutely allowed to have a moan. This is the one place we should be able to. It's hard for family as we're trying to be strong and upbeat for them and they're trying to be supportive and there for us and if children are involved it's very hard. However it's good for them all to realise sometimes that 'supermum'/'superwife'/'supergrandma' is only human and sometimes we have our down days as well but they also see us coping with such a lot and so see our strength too. I've got our very young grandchildren with us and it's been hard doing the things I always do with them but they've been very good and understand I'm 'a bit poorly ' at the moment. A big virtual hug to you Mary. I hope the meds help ease things for you. I'm off to the docs later - last appointment! Will post if anything new is suggested.
Hugs to all, Sue F xx

Highlighted

Hi All

Now day 7 post my 1st T and have spent a miserable few days often in tears as I felt out so of control, extreme pain and discomfort all over including my MX site, have lost weight as I can't taste anything so don't fancy eating.

I rang the Unit when it reopened yesterday, I was told to stop the injections and contact my doctor for a more effective painkiller, I had been taking Paracetamol and Codiene almost every two hours, she has prescribed Tramadol for when it gets really bad and some sleeping tablets as I had been up for two nights solid.

I have always tried to be upbeat about treatment but this has really tested my resolve to continue, I will be contacting my Oncologist to see if the dosage can be adjusted and go from there, crying in front of my poor son who had no idea how to make things better for me is something I never want to repeat.

Sorry for the moan

Love and Hugs

Mary xx