Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

October 2017 radiotherapy

ladybowler
Community Champion

Re: October 2017 radiotherapy

Hwin

Just keep an eye on it all over the next couple of weeks, you can always call your rads team if you are concerned about anything.  The boosters were the easiest part of the treatment for me as well, no delays, short sessions and over in 5 days 🙂 🙂

Helena xx

Hwin

Thank you Helena, very happy indeed to be finished!

I am starting to get a bit of an uncomfortable/red/spotty around the boob, and especially in my armpit, but that didn't appear until the weekend, which would have been after 18 treatments.

I will keep moisturising 🙂  They did offer me some Zerobase today, but I think I'll stick with my nice essential oils lotion.

It was definitely the easiest part of treatment - I had the same appointment every day, always arrived about 10 minutes early and always got seen straight away so no waiting - and home on the same train I would get if I was heading home from work, so no tiredness.  I have actually had it pretty easy - chemo was fine, the op put me out of action for about a week, and the rads are done now, treatment all complete for me 🙂

Keep going, ladies, it's nearly done!

littlefairy

i went to my 4th rad ap today and as i had a stinking cold i decided to stuff tissue up my nose while i was haveing the treatment so i must of looked a right state with that sticking out but i was past careing ,and the girls thought is was a good idea,i prefer when you have the girls doing it it just feels weird and a bit funny haveing two men hovering over your boobys but then they are only trying to find those weeny dots to line you up ,i always have a snickers bar of chocolate before i go in so thats adding up to alot of chocolate but who cares if the body wants then it can have it,booby is holding up good so far with the aloe vera felt o.k sometimes the machine makes me jump when it makes a noise or starts moveing but then i have been watching it like a hawk especially when its really close to you i must focus on the pretty pictures they do and not at the god damn machine it was creaking a bit today and i thought just be my luck if the ting falls off its gonna be heavy funny what you think when your laying there xxxx

ladybowler
Community Champion

Hwin

Ringing the bells for you tonight, yay your did it, congratulations on finishing your active treatment, hope you are doing something nice to celebrate.  Keep an eye on things for the next couple of weeks as the effects continue.

Helena xxx

bell.jpg

ladybowler
Community Champion

Peggy

Great to hear that number one is under your belt, wont be long now til the 27th xx

charboyles

Hi All

First session of radiotherapy over, it wasn't as bad as I  had expected,, the staff were lovely and tried to put you at easy.. Plenty of jigsaws on the go, for everubody to do, which I thought was a brilliant idea. Well the wine is chilling in the fridge, so looking forward to a glass or two on the 27th. Hope everybody who started RT today is on good form after laying on that comfortable table, it def wasn't the Ritz hotel

Love to everybody

Peggyxxx

ladybowler
Community Champion

Lasdymonde

Oh I can totally relate to the way you are feeling, it is natural your whole life is revolving round this one appointment every day, you cant plan anything because you dont know how long you are going to be.  BUT you are now on the path down from the mountain and it is not going to be long before we are ringing the bells very loudy for you xx

You just rant away that is what we are here for, so that you have a safe comfortable environment where you can say whatever you want.

I remember at one of my sessions all the nurse said to me was how are you. I just burst into tears saying I didnt want to do this anymore, I hated my life being controlled by this apt, she gave me a tissue and a hug and then we got on with it.  They do understand how stressful this is, dont be brave be honest with them and they will be able to help you xxx

As with me, I have been very lucky in my journey with BC as I have not had anywhere near the interventions that a lot of the ladies on here have had, but remember you have had your diagnosis, op, and now radiotherapy, it is still an awful lot to contend with, and still have to maintain a normal life at home

Sending you a very special huggle.

Helena xxxx

Debbie1964

Bless you lady, i know how you feel, they ask me how i feel, and after looking around the waiting room and seeing ladies that i know have faced chemo, i feel stupid actually saying i feel sore and tired. Totally agree the waiting room isnt nice seeing everyone, my mind wanders wondering what others are going through, but we are all on a journey we dont want to be on , i did managevto speak upto day as i have one red boob one white lol, we will get there chin up lady and hugs to you xx

I went and picked my second prescription up of tamoxofin before i went to hospital, im now freaking out coz i have a different brand, and my previous brand i have had no side effects, hubby says relax go with the flow, wish i thought like him lol 

Flyingarcher

Lady - are you me?  I know exactly what you mean about the lying prone and the nice male radiographers and the ill people who look 'proper poorly' as opposed to me who looks fine.  The mood thing I can really identify with.  Fortunately our building is luffly as is the waiting room.  I've only got six more to do.  Today was a bit mad as it was son's diabetic clinic appt so We had free parking at radio, we walked round to diabetic (bit of a trek and managed to get lost), told diabetic nurse I might not be there - son is 17 now so he can look after himself.  Dash round to radio, get seen early, dash back to diabetics.  Go in to his consultation.  As usual he is getting the third degree and told off (they are never ever happy with anything).  Then we walk back to car.  Then drive thru really awful traffic to the only starion with someone in the ticket office as son has lost season ticket.  

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

LadyMondegreen

With 8 of 15 done today I am flagging.  In fact, today's session was due at 1pm but I finally went in to my appointment at 2.55 and it took longer than usual as they had to redo the measurements as the image they wanted was not right.  So, I got out at 3.30 in the end.  When I went in they kindly asked me how I was feeling and I said fine... as I so often do when asked this question whether or not I do - it's a British thing?  They must have heard something in my tone because they said, are you sure?  I admitted that I am feeling a bit low in mood but no physical reactions but they said I must tell them as they want to know about mood as well as any physical responses.  That made me feel tearful for the whole session. I didn't admit that I beat myself up about this because I feel that I should be feeling better as I have been relatively "lucky" in the grand scheme of BC things. Gosh I really can't wait for the end of it.  All the to-ing and fro-ing, having to go very early to get parked, the struggle to park and then waiting around ages as they are overrunning as well. the cancelled/rescheduled appointments due to the machines breaking; the undignified posture lying there half naked whilst they fiddle around getting the precise measurements and drawing all over you and despite knowing it doesn't matter I do feel worse when it is young male radiographers, professional and kind though they are. Pretending everything is OK, seeing the other people with far worse problems in the waiting room, I hate the waiting room... it has dim lighting, it is quite warm and sometimes a bit smelly due to food odours from somewhere nearby, lots of medics walking through, people who all seem to have someone with them whilst I try and read my kindle but not getting very far, can't concentrate, they might call my name. Overrunning on time, did I check in properly as I have sat here ages.  Can I go to the loo or is that when my name will get called.  Very poorly looking, visibly affected folk reminding me how lucky I am not to have had chemo but somehow that doesn't make me feel any better. Driving back home in very busy traffic but wanting so say beam me up scotty instead. So tired. Rant over, tears shed.  Back again tomorrow for #9, downhill slope now - it is all going well I guess, mustn't grumble.

ladybowler
Community Champion

Oh Yes xx

littlefairy

time to watch strictly come dancing yippee xx
ladybowler
Community Champion

littlefairy

Oh that made me laugh, I never thought about using that one.  I must admit I did have someone ask me if I was radioactive but gently explained it was not that type of treatment, it is amazing people perceptions of our treatment 🙂

We are all always here for you whenever you need us, that is the beauty of this forum we all really understand and can be ourselves what worrying about what other people are thinking, and we do a lot of laughing as well 🙂

No I was on my own walking back to the car, a lady stopped and asked me if I was ok and I said yes I am very happy I have just finished radiotherapy.

Helena xx

littlefairy

hello ive just read your message and oh how i can relate to what you have said,ive not been angry through this really but im frustrated like you where that your life revolves around your hospital appointments and i just want to be normal so ive been a bit angry lately and moody ,rads tomorrow im usually happy and smiley and laid back but i feel a bit like jackel and hyde at the moment a nice bit of cake will sort that out before rad treatment,but i did laugh today cos i blew all the lights downstairs turning on one bulb and i told my husband it was my booby that did it because of rads i must say your message was so so helpful its so nice to talk to people who understand and share there vunrelbility with you when you said you cried after rads that was touching to hear that i hope you had someone with you then xx thankyou so much for your message its nice to be under stood xxxx your an angel

ladybowler
Community Champion

littlefairy

I know what you mean, it really makes you stop and think because you see so many people who are going through exactly the same as you to a greater or lesser degree.  I think if you are not used to hospitals it can affect you rather more.  Yes you are right everyone is there to get better, the aim being to get to the end of active treatment and start getting back to your "normal" life again.  But what you have to do is to concentrate on you.

To me the worst part of it was that my life was controlled by this one appointment every day for 5 weeks (mine was over christmas so was lengthen by the bank holidays).  I hated not being in control of my live, plus the journey to and from the hospital just made the day so long on occasions. I work part time and during my rads I was on reduced hours doing 3 days a week 4 hours a day and on those days they managed to arrange it such that I was able to go straight from work to my appointment, that enabled me to get home late afternoon/early evening and able to relax.

I must admit on the final day of my rads I was ok until I was walking back to my car and burst into tears with the sheer relief that it was all over.

Hope this helps

Helena xxx

littlefairy

hello there could you tell me a bit of your experiance with rads,how did you feel emotionally with it all xx going to hospital is a real eye opener and last time i went to have my rad treatment i kept looking at everyone else and it made me upset cos i wanted to hug then all and tell them they will be allright and i hope they all get better xx

ladybowler
Community Champion

littlefairy

I finished my rads in January this year so active treatment all done then.  I am on tamoxifen now for 10 years, nearly done my first year so 9 to go 🙂 🙂

I too had 15 regular and 5 boosters, it is the journey to and from the hospital, being dictated ny that one session every day that I found the most tiring, mine was a bit longer because I had xmas and new year in the middle of mine

Helena xx

littlefairy

well done for cleaning the pit after feeling tired ,im on session 3 ibet your so glad like me its the weekend and 2 days of to be free so have a lovely weekend x

littlefairy

hello thankyou for your message im haveing 4 weeks of rads 3 weeks whole breast then a week boost then thats that oh i forgot the tamoxifen tablets,ive only done 3 days and im tired already what a wimpy fairy ha ha, i think they should give you chocolate as part of the treatment that would work for me and im sure alot of other ladies out there ,where are you at with your treatment,and are you sleeping o.k i think we all have trouble sleeping sending you fairy hugs x

Flyingarcher

Eight sessions done.  Seven to go.  Aveno do a body wash - recommend it.

not much redness yet.  Aloa vea in morning and aveno in afternoon. 

Very tired today.   But have cleaned the pit that is the 17 year old's bedroom so feeling virtuous.

have a lovely weekend people.

ladybowler
Community Champion

littlefairy

Hello and welcome to the thread, you will get loads of help and support on here from the lovely ladies who are further down their journey with radiotherapy and those like yourself who have just started.

How many sessions are you having?

Hope everything goes well for your session today and you have the luxury of two days off, I always looked forward to the weekend because I knew I didnt have to do the journey for those days.

Helena xxx

Fiona2901

Thank you all and I won't have a problem eating chocolate lol!!!!

x Fiona

pecan

After a lengthy discussion with my (new) oncologist yesterday, it was agreed I would not take the hormone tablets.  Then she tossed something into the discussion about bone tablets, which I had presumed were for SEs, but aren't, so i will research them now.  HOWEVER, in light of the fact that this thread is about radiation, it looks as if my wound might take too long to heal, which will rule out radiation.  And because I had finally resigned myself to SOME sort of adjuvant therapy, this is slightly terrifying.  I have a month to heal.

Cathy

charboyles

Hi Fiona

Ear lots of chocolates, but remember the weight that can slip on quite easily..

Love Peggyxxxx

littlefairy

hello im 44 and im going through bc radio therapy i had my second one today and i saw your thread and as you where near anoth the same age as me i wanted to send you my support and a big hug x

littlefairy

hello im new on here and i was dagnosed in end of june too,i had my second radio therapy session today.i wanted to wish you luck for when you start rads sorry to hear you had a heamotoma not very nice for you,take care and rest when you need to and i find eating loads of chocolate helps me x

Fiona2901

Hi

Joining this thread as I hope to start my treatment on 18 October but have to get the green light from my Oncologist first.  I went to my planning appointment yesterday and felt like a real idiot when the Radiologist said to me that an area at the side of my breast was red and hot and had I noticed it????  No - I hadn't but my breast had been sore for a couple of days but I have been more concerned about the wound heaing than other areas of my breast.  They had to call the Oncologist to come and see me whilst I was lying in the CT scanner so she had a look, prescribed 7 days of antibiotics and an appointment with her on the 18 October.  If she isn't happy then the treatment will have to be delayed - they said a week.  The area that is of concern is nowhere near my wound but strangley enough seems to be around where the tumours were - had 5cm of tissue removed after having two tumours - one 1cm and the other 3cm directly in front of each other. No-one at the hospital seemed overly concerned about it apart from me. 

Just a bit bit fed up and wondered if anyone else has had this issue? 

x Fiona

Hwin

Well done Moody Blue!

Argymargy - I had my "breast review" yesterday after the rads with a new and very informed breast care nurse.  We chatted about the bisphosphonates, and the way I thought the data had been stacked to get a significant result, and she agreed and added a few other interesting facts.  I think I've decided that I will say no to the bisphosphonates but ask about the ADD-Aspirin trial.  Rather than targetting bones, it helps prevent recurrence anywhere in the body.  I take aspirin regularly anyway, so would be happy to take a daily tablet.

Today was the first of my four boost treatments.  I wasn't sure what to expect, but it's just like the other treatments except shorter 🙂  Three to go! Boob still holding up well, although a bit pink now and with a little spotty rash.  I suspect it will get worse before it gets better, but it's not painful and not particularly swollen.

ladybowler
Community Champion

WinkyW

Hello and welcome to the thread where you will get loads of help and support from the wonderful ladies on here.

The rads are very doable, it is more the hassle of going to and from the hospital every day which I found a pain.

Helena x

ladybowler
Community Champion

Tallulah

Hello and welcome.  I know that there are ladies who have left side rads, and I think some of the new ladies on here are having it so I am sure someone will be on soon to help

Helena xx

ladybowler
Community Champion

Egg

Of course you can and you are very welcome.  You will get loads of help and support from the lovely ladies on here xx

thats the same as me 15 plus 5.  Yep it is a pain having to go every day but you will soon be at the other end of it all.  Make sure you moisturise well, drink plenty of fluids and get rest when your body tells you.  I used to take my moisturiser with me (E45) and apply it immediately after each session whilst I was getting dressed.

Helena xx

WinkyW49

Hi Everyone

I have not been on here very much

Was diagnosed with BC end of June had op mid July  wide incision and a few nodes taken. But had a large 60mm heamotoma which decided to leak out of the main incision so had quite a few weeks of changing dressing and it finally stopped a couple of weeks ago.

I am starting my radiotherpay next monday 09/10/17 for 19 sessions not really looking forward to it but I know it has to be done. 

I will take any help with creams etc.

Wendy

benandflo

Hi Pecan

I'm 43 so hadn't hit the menopause just yet but my BC feeds off oestrogen so they are suggesting ovary ablation (initially Zoladex injections) to block the oestrogen production.  I also have to take Tamoxifen then change to another aromatase inhibitor once ovaries gone.

I asked my BCN why do I still need to take medication once ovaries gone if oestrogen blocked but she explained that our fat cells also produce alot of oestrogen and the medication blocks this.  I might be stupid but I didn't know this at all!!!  The things I am learning on this journey!

xxx

Argymargy

Tallulah - I'm doing the breath hold & have done 12 sessions.  It's very easy and I've had no problems.

Hwin - I too am dithering about the bisphosphonate as I too am only just menopausal and very fit & active.  I'm mainly concerned about the effects on the kidneys.  I have an appointed with the oncologist this evening and will ask him to convince me!

pecan - oestrogen is everywhere; in our food, water etc etc.  I have very little body fat but my cancer was ER+8.  I agree it was probably growing for years and feeding off my ovaries' oestrogen but to avoid a recurrence I'm happy to take the drugs.

charboyles

Hu Moodyblue

Hioe you enjoyed you enjoyed your tiipple. Well dine on completing treatment. My bottle is in the frodge and cooling reafy for the 27th.

Peggycc

MoodyBlue

Many thanks for your support and the bell ringing Helena! x

ladybowler
Community Champion

MoodyBlue

And here are the bells ringing very loudly for you so that you hear them above the popping of the cork.  Well done mate, the end of active treatment and the start of getting your life back.  Remember to keep up your regime for the next couple of weeks though (oh I really am starting to sound mumsie on here now xx)

Enjoy the champers

Helena xxxx

bell.jpg

MoodyBlue

Thank you Flyingarcher!

Flyingarcher

Congratulations!  That's so fantastic.  Have a very celebratory evening

MoodyBlue

Hi everyone,

I've just popped the cork on a bottle of Cava as ive just had my last session. Tired but all is good. Good luck ladies, hope all goes as well as mine did.

best wishes,

Loretta xx

EggG

Hi all
Could I join this thread please? Just started radio yesterday, have 20 sessions planned (3 weeks then a week of boosters). Am not looking forward to daily hospital trips!
Egg
Tallulah78

Hi All!  I'm 5 weeks post 6 rounds of FEC and due to start 20 sessions of Radiotherapy on Tuesday 10th, my radio was delayed because my cancer was directly over my heart, so the best option for me appears to be for me to hold my breath during my radiotherapy (which will hopefully move my heart back and provide some air bag type protection).  So, couple of questions... has anyone else had to hold their breath for treatment? and how did you get on?   Thanks in advance and love to all x

monkey12

Hi Debbie, yes, it's the first time I've seen others from oxon. Hope your RT is going OK. I must say the staff at the Churchill have been amazing!

Lisa xx
ladybowler
Community Champion

Cathy

I was about 2 stone overweight at the time of my diagnosis, I lost 9lbs following it and so far I have managed to keep it off but then it is the winter coming up and I will not be as active so will have to watch it

Helena xx

pecan

lol

Ladybowler...

lol

I was trying out my theory, see, regarding fat and letrozole, and... thinking things out.  I am 100 lbs overweight.  (I was 100 lbs overweight before menopause too.)  So I am making a deal with myself.  Either lose weight, or take the Letrozole.  We have so many statistics out there, but none that include weight status at time of diagnosis.

Cathy

ladybowler
Community Champion

pecan

well in a word - yes

pecan

May I ask - are you overweight?

ladybowler
Community Champion

pecan

I am 7 years post menopause, I am 59 and was diagnosed last September. xx

Debbie1964

I read, that your thyroid gland can produce eostrogen, your liver and your breast, but main one is ovarys, also some foods you eat can make your body produce more, its a mind field when you start to read about it, im convinced i got breast cancer from taking contraception pill for to many years, i kept suggesting i come off and was advised to take it untill i was 55, found out had bc at 53 and they took me straight of it.

pecan

How long post menopause were you, Helena?