cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

October Optimists??? 2013

Re: October Optimists??? 2013

Good luck tomorrow Lulu for your next dunking hope your well enough Hun xxx

It will be ok Hun we will all be thinking of you our thoughts are far worse than reality especially as most of us having FEC have found it not too bad xxx Tracy

My first chemo is on Thursday 😕 feeling nervous xxx

Thank you Gilly for tip on fringe xxx Tracy

Hi Janey I can totally identify with how you are feeling. I am using the cold cap it is the paxman is that what you are using. They have a website which gives lots of tips and explains how it works ext. I have had 1 dose of FEC so far and due for next one on Thursday. So far my hair on head has remained virtually intact I think I have lost less hair than normal probably down to being so gentle with it... Not washing as often once a week combing with wide tooth comb washing with simple shampoo and conditioner and not using any heat even wash with virtually cold water. I wish you the best of luck in keeping your hair and having a lovely Christmas with your In laws please come back and let us know how you get on xxx Tracy

Good luck to everyone going for their dunking this week xx

Glad you got the go ahead for tomorrow Flower75 good luck hope all goes well.

Monica good luck for day after then its Teffy Jill and me up on Thursday. Is there anyone else up this week?

Hugs and min se xxx tracy

I felt really bad as I broke wrist in march so was off until mid July then dx 22nd July then broke up for summer holidays and not been back since. It feels like I've been away for such along time and we are looking at Easter by the time we will be finished with Rads. It's going to take a while to get back into work as lots of things will have changed but its not worth worrying about now. We have to focus on us at the min xxx

Hi all, I initially had 7 weeks off work following diagnosis and through surgery. I then went back to work for 5 weeks part time but found it really difficult as someone else doing my job. I felt like a spare part. I finished last week and not planning to go back until after chemotherapy and radiotherapy. We should not feel guilty we need to look after ourselves for a short while and then hopefully there will be plenty of time to redeem ourselves at work if that's what we still want to do.Xxx

Hi Monica yes I think we just have to stop worrying about work and think about ourselves at the moment. I've worked at my job for 8 years and never been off sick but I'm a manager and it wouldn't be fair on me or my team for me to go back as I can't concentrate on my work properly. I'm not even sure if they are going to pay me while I'm off but that may make my mind up about going back there. I've had a lot of support from my manager and my team and I only stopped looking at my work emails yesterday coz my password expired ha ha but I think we should enjoy our time off. Enjoy our good days at home and feel comfortable on our bad days at home. I too will have to go back to some work but not until all my treatment is done
Sam xxxxxc

I haven't worked since my first surgery in August. I did feel guilty then, but at the same time I wanted a full diagnosis and treatment plan before deciding what to do about work. I'm glad I'm off now - its hard to plan from day to day because I don't know how I'm going to feel and I would also be worried about infections etc. I was wondering if I would go back part-time when it comes time for rads (my work happens to be close to the hospital) - but its too early to say now. I need to deal with this first and be sure that I'm up to everything again. I wouldn't like to go back and then have to take time out again because of SE.

Glad to have the time out for now - have to look after ourselves xxx

Thanks Sam and you're right, going through this really does make you look at things differently. Unfortunately I'll need to return eventually but it's good to hear others are taking the time off too. I,m going to try to stop stressing about it, our recovery is far more important than any job xx

Flowers, good luck for tomorrow, i have also been off work since the day before my first surgery. I really don't know how people do work through this as I don't really want to deal with my colleagues. The ones I am close to call me almost daily as I am their manager but i have quite a stressful job and am enjoying this time at home with my kids. I did go in one morning just for an hour to talk to my boss but by the time i had got round everyone i had almost been their for 5 hours so i don't want to go through that too often. I think i just want to return once this is all behind me if I return at all as going through this has made me wonder if I still want this job.
Sam xxx

I've not worked since my surgery on 28th August, I felt guilty at first, but then I realised I would be too knackered to work anyway, so I'm trying to enjoy my time off on the good days xx

Hi MonicaB and Teffy, thanks for your good wishes for tomorrow. I had my pre-assessment today and all seems fine to go ahead. Like you say MonicaB, you want to keep it on track. I've got my hopes pinned on finishing chemo on 14th Jan although have been told to expect delays but hopefully we'll all keep on track as much as we can!! I hope everything goes to plan for you both too and that'll be us 2 down already!!

I've been on sick leave since my op mid August and having some guilty feelings about being off but to be honest I don't know if I could work during chemo and then there's the daily rads to come. I,m thinking it may be best to stay off till after treatment and ignore the guilty feelings. I'm never off sick, never had as much as a cold until now! What are other folks thoughts about working? Xxx

Hi flowerer75
Hope all goes well for your dunking tomorrow.
And MonicaB hope all goes well for you on Wednesday., that's when I have my bloods done, hope they're ok so I can get my second dunking on Thursday.
Each one is a step nearer the end!!

Take care xx

Hi flower75 - Good luck for FEC#2 tomorrow - I'm going for it the next day and I see its Teffy on Thur. I've also lost lots of hair over the last day or two. It was buzzed right down last week and no cold cap, so its just the ends that are going now - but they're going fast.

I had the pre-assessment today and the doc says that the white cell count? is low, but just above what it needs to be - so chemo should go ahead. I really want to keep it on track - so here's hoping that having today and tomorrow helps with that. 

Good luck Janey - hope it all goes well for you. take care x

Thanks Flower75' Teffy and Biddlybee.
I am going to try and persevere with the cold cap to try and keep my hair. But will ask the September ladies too.
Your words of support give me hope. Hopefully my thick hair will hang on until Dec 26th.
Thanks and Take care
Janey x

Hi Janey, I'm not using the cold cap but had 1st fec on 1st Oct and in for 2nd lot tomorrow. I have heard that having thick hair can help the success of the cold cap though so fingers crossed. I have very thick hair too but have lost loads over the last few days so don't think I'll have it much longer. Good luck and I really hope the cold cap works for you xxx

Hi Janey,
I'm using cold cap, and my hair may have thinned slightly but not much. I'm due my second dunking on Thursday. My hair is shoulder length too, and my chemo nurse said it is better if you have thicker hair, which I don't, but I'm sticking to it x

Good morning Janey, welcome. I am not having cold cap, but just to let you know, I started FEC on 7h Oct. I had my hair cropped a couple of days ago, but really this was because I wanted to take control of the losses, as I had long hair. It might have thinned a tiny bit since 7th., but thats all. Everybody is different, hope yours will hang on til Christmas. Have you asked the September ladies, they might be a bit further on in their treatments? All the best xx

Hi can I introduce myself.

I am a November newbie and are due to start with 6 cycles of Fec mid November. I would
Ike to keep as much hair as possible so have decided to cold cap. I have been told that the hospital where I will receive treatment has just invested in a new cold cap where cold air is used to cool the scalp....Not sure .....anyone heard of this. I have very thick hair and was wondering if this may help...or does chemo just take whatever, Sorry to be such a pain but the thought of turning up at my mum in laws at Christmas bald terrifies me....and I am frightened the grand kids will pull my wig off. They can be a little giddy.

Thanks Janey x

Thanks again gilly. Hope you enjoy your day too! X

Re hair, wigs and hats.

Just told OH i have been on forum this morning and he reminded me of my fringe!!! Completely forgot it!!!.       Because i did lots of walking through chemo (still doing it) and weather cooler December January etc i wore a fringe (again purchased £5 ish from Headstrong) under a lovely selection of hats / turbans.  Much more comfortable than a full wig when out walking in wind, nipping to shops etc. It just looked like my hair was tied back.

Hope you are all having a lovely day.

Gilly x  

Morning everyone
I've decided that once I've had my oncologist apt and have more idea if my treatment that ill book into my hairdresser on Friday Nov 1st for him to give me a short funky cut. I have my 2 stepdaughters coming from Devon on the 30th and they don't know I have cancer yet so I want them to see me looking as I always do then i can change my look quite drastically in preparation for my treatment. I'd rather lose my hair if it was short as I don't want to see long hair coming out and I may get my hairdresser to dye it a shocking colour too ! I am naturally blonde but about 6 years ago dyed it red and have never been able to get it back near my own colour so it will be strange but good to be blonde again 🙂
Hope everyone is feeling better and has a good day
Sam xxxxx

Thanks Gilly - its so encouraging to hear from you & good to hear the tips. Glad you are doing well. I'm going to check out the stick on eyebrows. Tracy mentioned some from blinkies website as well, sounds good.

Glad you are feeling ok Helenr51 - long may it continue. Keep us posted on the turban type hats when they arrive. I got some from a website in USA - lol - the lengths we are going to to look our best. They came from headcovers.com and are sooo comfortable. The only thing was that the courier sent me a separate bill for duty - not too much, but extra on the overall price. I wear the headcovers around the house, but so far haven't ventured out in public with them. I think I will though when I go for my next assessment which is tomorrow. I'm finding them much more comfortable to wear than the wig.

Thanks for the update Sarah - I'll have a look at the website. Hope u enjoyed strictly and xfactor last night Smiley Happy

Morning Biddlybee - had to smile when you mentioned your eyebrows. Mine are fair too - hard to get the colour right!

xx 

What's the website Helen,  I'll have to have a look?.  Yes I don't feel too bad either...long may it continue hey! X

Morning everyone.  

Thanks gilly, hope you continue to do well.

Been trawling the net and simply wigs do the eyebrows,  seem really cheap to. Might just order some to have at hand.  Think it's a UK company so assuming delivery and payment might be a little easier than to America .

Sarah x

Good morning Gilly! Thanks for your post and info xx

Morning Girls.

Hang on in there all of you, you are doing great.  I am 12 months on from Chemo. Had FecT like many of you exactly this time last year.  Eyebrows.  I had semi permanent make up (tattoo) about three years ago so just had them colour boosted before Chemo but when i was having wig fittings with Headstrong (at The Christie, Manchester) some of the girls were having a new product of stick on eyebrows.  I am in touch with some of the girls and the eyebrows were very successful, natural looking and make a huge difference to confidence.  I think they were about £30 for the eyebrows and sufficient adhesive for about six months.  I think these are possibly the product previously mentioned in this thread, available on the internet. I feel for you Girls with the upset tummy's 'cos i remember everything tasting strange. i used to buy myself quality tonic water and Elderflower Drinks, really refreshing. I would say that i found it helpful to keep up with friends / social life whilst on Chemo (where possible) and tried to walk each day as this really helped with sleeping at night, also downloaded a relax and sleep 30 min app on to my phone which was great when i couldn't sleep. I finished Chemo in Feb 2013, have since had planned mx and rads and am doing good. Sporting  a funky new spiky hair do which is easy maintenance. (not so happy about having to get legs waxed again tho'..........).  Take Care and look after yourselves Girls.

Gilly x

I found a brilliant site on Ebay for gorgeous pull on turban type hats. They come from Australia and are supposed to be ultra soft. The colours are beautiful and they look very modern and young. Looking forward to getting them though my hair is still hanging on 🙂

Where about do you stay Lulu? I'm about an hour from Glasgow too! I feel strange as the side effects haven't really kicked in yet. Still got my hair, don't feel sick and apart from some sore up my nose and feeling tired I really feel ok. Just hope it isn't going to kick in all at once and floor me. Hey Ho!!!

Biddlybee you made me laugh thinking of the mad look lol isn't it funny that eye brows make you look so weird if there not right!

Yep exciting Saturday nights from now on... Not lol but just gong to make the best of nights in maybe invite people round so at least you feel your doing something.

Omg! The farting thing is def going on I had a stew the other day and it was ridiculous!! So I don't think it's just the cider that creates it lol

Hugs Tracy xxx

Thanks tracy I'll definitely be checking out the blinkys, never even heard of them but they sound great! Plus not as invasive as a tattoo! Also thanks monica for the glasses idea to. I don't need them but could get some show ones to camouflage the lack of eyebrows.
Another sat night with strictly and x factor. ..may as well get in to it coz this is my sat nights from now till xmas xxx

Evening everyone, hope you are having a relaxing saturday night. Hope you are ok today Lulu with your trip? Must get myself booked on one of those lgfb days, I need help with eyebrows too. Just tried with a brown pencil, I have fair eyebrows, I look a bit mad 🙂 Had a lovely walk on the beach today. The fresh air will hopefully help me nod off tonight too xx

Sam - I just googled about educating Yorkshire - ah yes we're right up there with the latest trends 🙂 who knew lol!

Hope the trip went well Lulu xx

have my 17yo on standby for the eyebrows, makeup is one of her fortes lol! 

I love ginger beer and drink those Crabbies ones with rapsberry - yum yum!

Ahh sorry Lulu that you are feeling SE, I hope your trip to Glasgow went ok and you managed to have fun x
I'm reading everyone's posts about eyebrows and it seems we will be the fashionable ones....is anyone watching Educating Yorkshire as a lot of the girls are shaving their eyebrows off !
Sam xxx

Well the ginger ale is really nice..I couldn't wait till tonight to try it! I def recommend it for a change.

Monica I have not been active at all this year as broke my wrist in March and what with having plates and wires I wasn't up for much. I just blooming book up for swimming every day at my local pool then was dx so couldn't go due to ops! I think I'll try and start to do a bit of walking too it may break up the long days.

I hope the eye brows hold out but don't know about you but when I try and pluck the stray ones they come out without much resistance now so thought they maybe on the way out. I've looked at some on blinkies web site they are hairy ones you glue on and supposed to last a couple of weeks before redoing and are waterproof they come to about £12 due to shipping from USA. I haven't heard of anyone who had used them but may just get them for a try... Should be a laugh!! Apparently they don't fall off you take them off with oil xxx Tracy

Fingers crossed that the immodium does the trick Lulu and lets you get on with your day out. Hope you have a good nights sleep tonight.

Good idea on the ginger beer Galleygirl - I'll give that a go.

Hope your tum is settled Sarah - lol Smiley Happy.

About the eyebrows - I'm not looking forward to them going (and so far they haven't). I'm not too good at makeup and drawing in eyebrows seems like a hard enough thing to get right. But I'm booked on a lgfb workshop, so hopefully they can help me. I have glasses with a rim/frame at the top and they give a bit of shape to my eyes. If I have to, I'll start wearing them out. Interesting what the nurse said about the temporary tattoo Sarah, I would be tempted by that - but would have to find out more. If the eyebrows come back soon enough, then maybe I can just wait it out.

It takes me a while to get to sleep now Tracy. I'm much more inactive now than I was before all this started. Sometimes I think that's why I don't feel as tired when I go to bed. I started out on a long walk this am, but I had to cut it short because I was feeling a bit funny and I didn't want to push it. My aim is to walk most days - so even if its shorter than norm, I'll try to do it - but I would like to be doing more.

best to all xx

Ahhh ginger beer! I will put it on list of 'things to try whilst on chemo!'. You see if I look at the positives I'm opening up to a world I never knew existed, ha!

I'm praying for you on the bus lulu, hope you have a lovely day out.

Tracy re the eyebrow situation, I was going to have mine temporary tattooed on, however the chemo nurse advised against it.  She said 'usually' if they do come out (a lot of the time they don't), it's nearer the end then they obviously start growing back after treatment finished. 

I'm still undecided,  I am booked on the lgfb workshop next month which apparently shows you how to draw on your eyebrows or places like benefit will apparently do a template for you I've been told.

I'll be interested to hear other ideas.  Sarah xx

Hi all yes I picked up some ginger ale the other day but haven't tried it yet..think ill give it a go tonight!

Lulu hope Imodium holds out!! Bless ya lol have a great day

Well didn't go to bed till 2-30am I just can't sleep of I go earlier. Is anyone else having problems sleeping or having to go to bed later than normal?

I'm still looking for eye brows alternatives anyone found any good real looking ones?

Hugs to all Tracy xx

Sam so pleased you are rid of drac. Im sure things will be a lot easier... The 30th will soon be here so hope your doing some fun things this week before you get poisoned

My SEs kinda kicked in yest.... Got to sleep after 6am dur to a churny tummy and the runs so back om the imodium. And have a day out in glasgow.... Over an hour on the bus each direction hoping its not going to be nappy central lol

Heehee galleygirl! Thanks for the recommendation of ginger beer, will give it a try. Xx

I had heard a rumour of " chemo farts" . Sorry to say it may not be a rumour.
I've found ginger beer to be a new favourite drink, never touched the stuff before, now I LOVE. It. Really sweet. before I was a moderate expensive dry white wine or full bodied red, now, 99p a big bottle ginger beer from M&S and I'm in heaven. My treat as a change from water these days. Karen xx

Good morning Sarah, thank you for the laugh this morning, brilliant! Glad you were out and enjoying yourself. Hope the windows are open now though 🙂 xx

Morning everyone.  Great news Monica, hope you enjoy your weekend drac free! 

I had the Friday feeling last night so had a couple of them flavoured ciders! Never drank cider for about 12 year, however thought it might be 'better' for me than wine or gin. 

Went to a friends so a couple of them were trying my new wig on, so at least it's good for a laugh.  Note to self though...never drinking cider again, only had two and was all gassed out. Wasn't fun for hubby in our bedroom last night-ha!!!

Hugs to you all sarah xx 

Yes come and join us on fb Sarah xxx

Really pleased for you Sam enjoy your freedom!! Xxx

That's really good news Sam, enjoy your drain free weekend x