1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

October Optimists??? 2013

The

Re: October Optimists??? 2013

Going out Saturday night with my friend for a girly night first night out since starting chemo so looking forward to it!

Hope everyone is ok and having min se

Xxxx Tracy
The

Hi Beejayp welcome to our group. It is a lonely place out there sometimes that's why having this forum is so nice as we are all going through the same experience emotionally and understand each other. I'm on number 2 and its not been as bad as I was expecting I'm on 6x FEC my 3rd is due 14/11/13 then that will be half way!! Xxxx
apandy

Hi, beejayP. Welcome to our group.

Anne x
sarkev123

Welcome beejayP, hope you continue to feel ok throughout your treatment.   

Two down four to go ladies...bring it on!

Hope you're all well sarah x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi beejayp. I'm also FEC-T, second blast tomorrow. I had my bloods done this morning whilst sniffing and sneezing, I hadn't thought about my nose hairs going so thanks for that Sarah, I'm just hoping it is that not a cold! Hope the big shave goes ok Sarah, you'll feel better when it's done. Have a great weekend everyone xx
Janey160359

Good luck to all imminent Dunkers.
Fingers and toes crossed that all SE's are little ones.
Janey xxxxxxxx
Janey160359

Hi BeejayP
Welcome to the October Optimists.
I am due to star chemo 20th Nov and are a member of the November Newbies.
Feel free to drop in anytime.
Janey xxxxxxx
Biddlybee

Hello BeejayP welcome to the group xx
MonicaB

Best of luck with today's dunking Sarah. And I hope the sore throat clears up - its so hard to avoid with the time of year and low immunity combo. My hands are going to fall off I'm washing them so often.

Welcome BeejayP - we're all in the same boat, and this is a great place for support. I'm getting FEC x6, 2 down 4 to go. Are you going to a look good feeling better workshop? I'm booked on one next week and am looking forward to it for the same reason - it will be good to make contact with other local women and of course to find out how to make the best of things at the moment. Keep us posted as to how you get along.

xxx

alabamasam

Morning beejayp
Welcome to October xxxxx
Sam 🙂
BeejayP

Hi

Can i join this thread, was diagnosed with breast cancer in sept (our 24th wedding anniversary, of all days). have already had one lot of chemo on 24th October, the treatment i am on is Fec-T. Feeling positive, one rough day and one bad day so far.

Hair is tingling some days so think something is happening in that dept. Have got some fab beanies and bandanas on standby.

Have also got my make up/skincare appointment on monday which i am really looking forward to, hoping to make contact with other local women going through this as at moment although everyone around me can sympathise I dont know anyone who has gone through this.

Hopefully joining this thread will also give me the support i need for the 'bad' days.

Thanks

Biddlybee

Good morning Sarah, good luck with your bloods and dunking today, everything crossed for you. How is your temp? The hair is like a nightmare isnt it. The echo was a doddle, just an ultrasound like when you are expecting, except on your heart instead. Take care, hugs xx
sarkev123

Morning everyone.  hope you're all ok? Had meal with me hair but definitely going to shave it off when I come back from dunking today as it's all over the house!  I'm sure the poor kids have been eating it!

Hope my bloods are ok as I've woke up with the worst bad throat today. My nose has been running for a few days but thought it was because my hairs in my nose had fallen out.

Hope you're echo went ok bridget, what area do you live karen? I'm in that neck of the woods.

Hugs to everyone Sarah xx 

alabamasam

Good luck for today Bernadette, hope you feel better xxxxx
Galleygirl

Re blood tests. I had to have one before a flu jab on the Friday , but still had to go back on the Monday for a second one for the dunking on Tuesday, even though they were fine on Friday . A faff but I'd rather over check than not
Galleygirl

So jealous Sam, wanted so much to go to depeche mode concert but I live in durham and it's the day of my third dunking, so I didn't dare book. Never mind, next time I hope. Saw them at O2 last.
Biddlybee

Good luck with your hair Sarah and way to go Monica with the pink wig! I go for my echo cardiogram today. Hope everyone is feeling ok ish xxx
MonicaB

Hope your hair holds out for your night out Sarah - its done well!

Glad for you that you have your treatment plan now Sam. Its easier to make plans when you know what the timetable is like. Best of luck talking to the girls.

Thats a big step Anne - and its over you now! Its so nice to have a supportive hairdresser, makes all the difference and your daughter sounds like a real star!!

Hope everyone is doing ok. I have a lovely pink wig to wear today (given to me by my brother). It was kind of a joke, but it does suit Smiley Happy and everyone else is dressing up.

xxxx

apandy

Thanks, Sam!
sarkev123

Hi everyone,  went for review today and apparently I get my bloods done just before dunking and they test it on the ward.

Pleased you're now in the know Sam, sounds like you're well prepared though, hope you enjoy Depeche mode, sounds great!  

Well done Helen and Anne for taking the plunge with the hair situation,  pleased you're happy with it, your both very brave.  Seems though I got last Friday out of my hair, I'm now being greedy and want tomorrow night with my Barnet too as I'm out for a meal. I am shedding though but my hair is quite thick.  I actually think I'm in denial about it all falling out.

Hope you're all holding up well guys

Sarah xx

alabamasam

Anne I think you look amazing in all your pictures, I think it is lovely and so important for us to involve our kids if we can in this process
Sam xxxxx
apandy

Hi everyone. Had my hair done today and I am glad I did as I have been agonising over it for a couple of weeks now. My lovely hairdresser did it gradually for me so it wasn't too difficult for me. We started with a number 4 then went down to a 3. I stopped there as I didn't think I could face a 1. It may well shed a bit more but she has offered to come round to my house and shave it completely if needed. She is so lovely! I also had my wig styled and am really pleased with it as it is very like my real hair, just better! I have put some pictures on Facebook for those who are in our group on there. Also, my beautiful, sweet, 12 year old daughter took some pictures of BOTH of us wearing bandanas and put them on Facebook, in moral support!
alabamasam

Hi, well my treatment starts on November 20th. This is great as I can still go to a Depeche Mode concert that i was going to with my son Jamie and i wanted to do something 'normal' with him before this all starts. I will have 3 rounds of FEC and then 3 of Docetaxel, 4 weeks off then 4 weeks of radiotherapy. All my chemo is happening at the hospital that i've been going to for my surgeries and my rads will be at the Christie in Manchester. All the side effects my doctor talked about were ones that i know about and have heard the October ladies living through so i know i will get through this so 2.5 weeks till i start to be cooked. Gaz my husband came with me as I wanted him to have the information as well. He has gone to pick up his daughters so we can tell them as when they come to us at Christmas i will be two treatments in. I am going to go for the Cold Cap and see how I get on xxxxx
Sam xxx
MonicaB

thats a big step done HelenWig, glad you're feeling snug in a scarf.
I'm really comfortable in my scarfs - it just seems so natural to wear them now.
take care x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Helen

So glad you feel happier like this. My heads starting to itch, I'm on day 13 - is that a sign? Ha ha xx
Guest user
Not applicable

Today was the day of the clippers! Shaved my head this morning and I feel so much happier now. I was so sick of the shedding over the last 3 days or so. My head is all snug in a scarf now 🙂
Guest user
Not applicable

Anne
No I hadn't thought of that Anne, maybe I should, thanks for suggestion.

Dawn
apandy

Dawn, have you asked whether you could have the blood test just before, or after, the oncologist appointment? It would save an additional trip to the hospital.

Anne
Guest user
Not applicable

They stuck my arm in a bucket of warm water for a while to get veins to stand out!
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Sarah
I too am like the others, have my oncologist chat on the Monday, Wednesday for blood test and chemo on Thursday, all at the hospital. They gave me a blood test sheet to take with me. Couldn't have it done at GP's as apparently they come under Warwickshire and I'm in Worcestershire, bit annoying.
This is all happening next week, ( hopefully!) for my second dunking.

Hope you're SE's are settling to those of you having treatment. xx
MonicaB

hi Sarah, I also have go to the onc unit 2 days before treatment. I get my bloods taken, get weighed and then have a short consultation with the doctor. The treatment day is just for chemo - nothing else. On the last dunking, the nurse found it hard to get a vein and in the end brought in a heat pack and placed it on my arm to help. My vein is a bit sore now but I hope it heals up in time for the next go.

rest up Galleygirl - thats another one over.

good luck sangria - its all about the veins! I was asked to run warm water over my arm the last time as well.

hope things settle down for you Smithy123

Hope you're doing ok Biddlybee - its so true - this ain't no picnic, but we'll get there. xx

sarkev123

Thanks everyone,  no one mentioned bloods at last dunking.  Hope galleygirl and sangria aren't feeling too bad today. 

Hugs to everyone Sarah xx 

Galleygirl

Had my second dunking yesterday and my veins spasmed due to cold, although the room was very warm. Nurse brought a warm pack which helped a lot. Didn't need to stop dunking but it did feel like a bad bruise or Chinese burn. I may bring my own in next time and use from the start just in case . Oh yes, steroids again stopping sleep, been up since 2.30am!
sangria

I have bloods 2 days prior to treatment, next dunking is in a few hours. Been told to keep my hands warm and drink more water (I think I might drown soon) to prevent the veins shrinking now its getting cooler.
Teffy

I too have oncology nurse meetings the day before chemo, to see how I'm doing, then they take the blood to check
Xx
apandy

I have an oncologist appointment, to check how I am, and bloods taken two days before every chemo. session.

Regards,

Anne
The

Hi Sarah I go to hospital chemo unit day before they take blood so have counts ready that afternoon so know whether to go ahead the next day also saves waiting time on chemo day xxx
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Sarah, yep I'm the same as Bridget, bloods the day before each round to check all is peachy. My district nurse does it at home when she changes the dressing on my picc line which saves another hike to the drs.
Biddlybee

Hi Sarah, I was told to get a blood test done at the surgery a day before my chemo, and given a page with all my info on it and the tests required, to give to the nurse. The hosp then collects the blood samples and tests them pre chemo. When i got to the hosp on monday morning, they had the results from my friday test. Neutrophils 0.26. That was when they did another test which only took 10mins, and said that my neutrophils were still too low at 0.92. I would have thought you would have the same. Xx
sarkev123

Hi everyone,  hope you're feeling okay lulu and smithy123 ( also anyone else who's been dunked the past couple of days ). 

So do we all get our bloods done before dunking? I'm there for a review tomorrow prior to 2nd lot on Fri.  So do you think I'll get bloods taken then? 

Sarah xx 

Biddlybee

Ha Smithy you will have to let me know how it goes! Good luck with your wheezy tummy. I have asked for something stronger for anti sickness next time. Hope you sail through ok xx
Smithy123

So sorry biddy bee, I had my 2nd one today they have given me quite a few anti sickness due to the 1st one been bad, so I am just sitting while my stomach feels very wheezy hope it just stops like this, hope you get the ok next week, I needed you to tell me what happens first lol. Xx
Biddlybee

Thanks for good wishes, pants indeed, but just a reality check for me. This aint no picnic as they say!!! Just another week to add to my journey lol xx
Biddlybee

Good luck Lulu xoxo
The

Good luck Lulu today.. Be thinking of ya xxx
Guest user
Not applicable

LOL'S Tracy x
Guest user
Not applicable

There's hope for me yet then Helen, mind you I'm quite looking forward to wearing my wig, it's certainly better than my mop! Btw if anybody is in the Redditch/Worcestershire area Wills wigs in Bromsgrove offer a brilliant service and it's all free with NHS! x
Guest user
Not applicable

That's pants Bridget, sorry to hear that, let's hope you hear soon xx
Janey160359

Hi Bridget
What a rubbish thing to happen.
Hang on love. Fingers and toes crossed that all goes well next week.
Hugs
Janey xxxxxxxxx
alabamasam

Bridget I hope they sort this for you and I'm sure they will, the hospitals are so good
Sam xxxx