cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

October Optimists??? 2013

BeejayP

Re: October Optimists??? 2013

Hi

Not been on here for a while as tired myself out with visitors and christmas prep.

I'm starting docetaxel this friday, but am reading that the people on it are taking steroids before hand, i haven't been given anything to take before. Because i dont know what side effects i'm going to have i have now said no more visitors for a while, hubby and i will spend christmas together quietly which i am looking forward to. Luckily we dont do the big family christmas. Have got the scrabble out will get fire lit.

Hope everyone manages to enjoy christmas as best they can.

xxxxxxx

Nikki49

Fec done, tax2 day 22
Yes I'm having my final dose of tax today, yay

I'm from the September thread and just wanted to share my discovery of the 'steroid tail' which I found a miracle cure for the pain of tax.

You take your usual steroids (4 x 2mg Dexamethasone at breakfast & lunch) the day before, day of and day after chemo, then for the next 3 days you take 2 tabs at breakfast, then the next 3 days take 1 tablet.

I can't stress enough what a difference those 9 extra tablets made, I.e 1st cycle I was superglued to the sofa lived off paracetamol & ibuprofen which if I'm honest we're about as much use as mint tic tacs.
2nd cycle I took 2 paracetamol in total and managed to put my Christmas tree up on the same day that previously I would have had trouble walking to the loo & back!
Also my hand weren't so sore this time & hardly peeled which my onc told me yesterday was because of the extra steroids 🙂

Best of luck, take care
Nikki x
apandy

Update: had a rough weekend with aches and pains and feeling tired and weak. Luckily, the aches are easing but I still feel drained. I'm hoping I will be a lot better by Xmas.

Best wishes to everyone here and Happy Christmas!

Anne x
Jo_BCC

Thank you Shelly for your kind words, it is much appreciated by all the moderation team here.  We'll do our best to support you and all your fellow forum users.  On behalf of us all, have a good Christmas and hope you have a healthy and happy New Year.

Jo, Moderator

Shelly_8

Hi everyone,

Have just done a food shop and was absolutely useless, it was so busy and felt completely drained afterwards; OH did everything, AND sorted out the freezer which had decided to defrost itself while we were out, so no fish fingers for tea.

I have started the steroids in preparation for Monday's Docetaxel, they usually send me a bit hyper but not much energy at all today. Fingers crossed i can have it on Monday, Beejay P are you starting on it next week?

Just wanted to wish everyone all the best, and also thank you to the BCC forum and moderators, who provide a place for us to come and support eachother.

Shelly xx

apandy

Glad you're home safe and sound. Enjoy it! Anne x
Galleygirl

Home at last, still have a slight infection but no one can trace where it actually is so have another week of tablet antibiotics to take, and an arm full of bruises. A recommendation has gone to onc team for a pic line, next dunk is New Year's Eve so I'm not sure if it'll be done by then or things will be differed, either way I don't care, I'm ready for a little peace. Merry Christmas all. Love karen
Shelly_8

You tell 'em Galleygirl! Hope you're doing ok, i think i am becoming pretty thick skinned with all this....reminder to self (and others!)...make sure the curtain is fully closed in changing rooms when whipping off wig to try on clothes..gulp, hope that made you laugh.

Anne keep us updated if you can on how the Docetaxel is going. Not particularly looking forward to feeling like i've been run over by a steam roller, which is how the onco said i MAY feel.

The main thing is, we're all getting through it, even though some of us have had setbacks and time in hospital. There is light at the end of the tunnel!

Best wishes to everyone

Shelly xx

apandy

Glad to hear they are sorting you out and you should be home soon, Karen.

I had my first Docetaxel today and so far no ill effects. In some ways it feels better than FEC at this stage as no nausea and also I haven't had the zonked feeling I had from the cyclophosphamide on FEC. But clearly this is early days and I don't know how the next few days will go with all the drugs and steroids and their potential side effects. One thing I have noticed is my mouth is dry and I am very thirsty,

Good luck to everyone and wishing you best for your treatments,

Anne x
Galleygirl

Oh. I got a bit assertive yesterday , after 5 different people had tried and failed to put in a canular into 5 differing veins in arm I refused to let them try anymore. I was in floods of trauma tears and ready to run away. End result, onc team will recommend a line and currently I have canular in foot which was no way as bad as stabbing around in my poor arm and wrist.
Shelly_8

Galleygirl hope you're doing ok and will be out soon.

BeejayP i also admire all the ladies with children who are coping with all this. I also feel guilty as OH doing practically everything. I have a picc line in which is behaving itself now but can't do heavy lifting.

Hope all goes well for you Anne with the Docetaxel, is it tomorrow? Mine's Monday if bloods ok, fingers crossed. xx

Galleygirl

Hi all. Turns out the aches and pains I thought were from the T were real aches and pains and not a side effect. Temp went up to 38 yesterday so am currently in hospital trying to find out what sneaky infection has taken hold. Only took 8 hours to get a bed , think half my aches now are hospital induced. Pneumonia has been ruled out thankfully so with luck will be out for weekend.
BeejayP

Leamangobird - all of your list applied to me and will follow them, unfortunately when we get to a good day we try and catch up on the millions of jobs that need doing that we tire ourselves out too easily. I have been trying to do a bit in morning then resting in afternoon, or if i have visitors planned try and rest at some point.  I haven't tried the Asda one yet as do all food shopping online, even that OH and I have down to a fine tee as he signs for it then I'm allowed to sit at kitchen table and check it off while he unpacks it all and puts it away.Bless him!!!

It is very hard sitting watching people doing stuff for you, even housework and i never thought i would say that, but you have to do it, i get a bit annoyed at visitors trying to make me drinks, although my house is fairly open in that i love people to feel comfortable coming in and slipping kettle on, at moment it seems to be my ultimate goal to make visitors a drink, using the expression 'i'm not an invalid!!!'

Its very hard with christmas and the millions of jobs that go with it, I am glad i dont have children as just cant imagine how you cope especially on the real bad days and especially if children are quite young so dont understand what's going on.

Today i am going to put up christmas tree, OH is getting stuff out loft and then i can just decorate, Probably going to not do the room decorations just tree in lounge and one in dining room, have got two naughty kittens to contend with who have never seen christmas before so that might be a bit interesting, then later OH is going to help me do my christmas nails, hands not steady enough so he volunteered to help me, oh and friend coming over to show me his kindle as trying to get organised for longer treatments and hospital stay in new year!!!

Had my echo cardiology appoint yesterday ready for this preventative drug, and asked if everything was ok, apparently he wasn't allowed to give me the results, its my body for goodness sake!!!! what is the matter with these people???

Shelly_8

Me!

I would just add:

7) I will treat myself every day....even if it's the simplest thing.

On the subject of moisturising, i've bought 2 Dr Organic moisturisers, coconut oil and royal jelly, it's buy one get another one for half price at Holland and Barrett at the moment (hope i'm allowed to put this!)

No parabens or SLS, i've become really conscious (or obsessed) about what i'm putting on my skin. Moisturising constantly in preparation for the Docetaxel, not looking forward to it but in a way i am, because then it will be just 2 more to go.

I've got a small tube of E45 cream for the rough bits on my scalp, not sure about the paraffin it contains though?

I'm sure i will be obsessing about what hair colours to use in a few months time, lol.

Hope everyone is doing ok xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Ok as of today my new mantra is:

1. I will listen to the OH when he tells me I am not able to do something
2. I will admit when I need help - and graciously accept when it is offered
3. I will accept that I am, in fact, NOT Superwoman
4. I will give in to what my body is telling me and rest when I need to
5. I will stop worrying about everyone else and concentrate on getting well

AND

6. I WILL NOT GO SHOPPING TO ASDA WHEN CLEARLY NOT ABLE TO AND PASS OUT AT THE TILL!!

Anyone else want to join me in this philosophy - well for the next few months anyway 😉 x
apandy

Hi Karen (Galleygirl)

I hope you're feeling better today. Have you found any meds which make it easier. read somewhere that Piriton helps. What have you been using on your feet?

Hugs,

Anne x
BeejayP

Hey Shelly 8 - at moment am recycling same four or five pounds as seem to lose the week after chemo, but then get these urges for eating in the following two weeks, but have to be careful as its almost as though my brain doesn't tell my stomach its full and if not careful will over eat and feel sick from that, but i tend to go with what foods my brain is asking for at the time so peanut butter sandwiches for breakfast etc.

Galleygirl - that's interesting about the aching on the 'T' part of the FEC-T, the oncologist did say i would feel less nausea and more aching, so do you feel that just for the week after chemo or the whole 3 weeks. With regard the skin, i have hopefully got a big pump dispenser of equivelant of E45 cream waiting for me as my skin is so dry now, have you requested something for your skin.

In general am feeling ok a week after chemo now, the injections were all ok this time around, last time i was feeling rough 1st thing in morning and last thing i wanted was the nurse giving me the immune injections, and also i had two big bruises from them. This time i seemed to have a bit more control over how i was feeling, so hardly had any side effects so was a lot more relaxed when they were done.

Got my appointment for my heart check tomorrow ready for my herceptin, but not having the drug until the January one.

Hope everyone is feeling ok and keeping warm, sending big hugs xxxxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks BBee, hope your herceptin goes ok. Must be hard to go through but just think of it as another weapon in the fight to be well. The more we have in our armour the better x x
Biddlybee

Fingers crossed for a burst of energy leamangobird! Take care of yourself hon, glad you are home xx
Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks Sam and everyone for best wishes. Hope you're all beginning to feel a wee bit better by now. I came out of hospital yesterday, thankfully, but feel like have been run over by a bus, tram and plane. No o o o energy at all and suddenly very weepy. Tough on OH as I am not being a very patient, patient and HATE having to ask him to do things for me instead of doing them myself - that'll be biggest challenge for me probably, lol. Worried about all the Xmas shopping and wrapping not yet done either. Fingers crossed for a burst of energy tomorrow girls x x x
Galleygirl

Forgot to say the skin on my feet is peeling and blistering also so having difficulty walking. Onc suggested lots of moisturiser
Galleygirl

I've been doing really we'll with chemo so far but I've changed from the FEC bit to the T bit and it's so painful in bones and joints. Did you have this at all and if so what, if anything helped? I'm on loads of pain killers but nothing seems to take it away.

Sorry for the moan, this time next week I should be fine, I hope! But any advice welcome,

Hope you have a wonderful Christmas and a healthy and happy new year, my next chemo is the 31 st December so I know I'll be ok for Christmas
Shelly_8

Hi BeejayP

Food is my passion at the moment. I have three breakfasts (no kidding) which is porridge with healthy seeds sprinkled on the top, followed by a cooked breakfast, then toast with Manuka honey. When i was working i was lucky if i grabbed a banana before i left the house.

I'm really craving savoury foods and ate 2 tubes of Pringles while watching my Harry Potter dvd's!

I was only 8 stone and a size 6/8 before my op so not bothered if i put some weight on! I find myself thinking about what i/'m having for my tea during the day!

I will eat anything and everything at the moment, (don't eat meat/fish though, although i do eat the odd fishfinger!) 

Hope you have a better day xx

BeejayP

Thanks for info on the Herceptin injections, interesting that i wasn't given any choice, although luckily for christmas etc i wont be starting this treatment til middle of Jan so will definately query my options.

I spent all day wrapping presents yesterday, which tired me out completely, i kept wrapping stuff then forgetting what i had wrapped, also the nurse's box was on table at same time so someone may have got medical stuff as their present as was getting really confused by end of it!!!Smiley Happy

Feel a lot better today about things, head is clearer this morning which helps and fed up with waking up in a confused cloud, hopefully i can have a better day.

I never thought i would say this but craving vegetables to the point of dreaming about big fat juicy carrots and greenery. Think this is just the come down from eating microwave/tinned meals the first week from chemo, does anyone else get this??? Obviously eat veg but it tends to be frozen or already in something so i will be so excited at peeling some carrots or chopping something and having what I call a proper homecooked meal.

Big hugs to everyone xxxxx

sarkev123

Hope you're feeling better leamangobird! What a pain hey? And beejay! This cancer isn't just straight forward diagnosis, treatment then finish is it!
Sending you both (and everyone) big hugs xxxxxxx
Biddlybee

Hi Beejay, thanks for the update, hope all goes well. I am going on to herceptin when I finish chemo - dont have any date yet - but my hosp are going on to giving it by injection in the leg rather than iv like the chemo. Hope yours offers that too, sounds like a much quicker option. They wont allow the local surgery to do it tho due to the cost apparently. I have had one echocariagram and have an apptmt for another one at the end of jan - they do them every three months it seems, as herceptin can affect your heart 😞 the echo is very easy, just an ultrasound of the heart area while you are lying down on your side, no worries. Take care, the pair of you xx
BeejayP

It seems to be wobbly week all round, not been on here for a while as just not having good days emotionally. Had my 3rd lot of FEC-T last week and although been ok with s/e emotions are running really wild.

Hubby not been well for two of my chemo's, the doctor prescribed penicillin for him as he was experiencing sore throat despite the fact that he was allergic and he reacted badly to that, then they gave him flu jab last week and it appears he has got cough,cold whatever after that, between us have tried to take preventative measures to be careful with bugs and it just seems he is getting it full in face which is obviously stressing me out!!! On top of that something showed on CT scan on womb which they now are investigating which on I have to go in on 24th Dec for Hysteroscopy.

Anyway go over to the Taxotere on 27th Dec, not sure what side effects to expect with that.

The Oncologist also wants to put me on Herceptin asap, wanted to do that with treatment for 27th but with everyone catching up for christmas etc, it was a bit much as have to have echocardiogram before then and also have to be monitored for 4 hours after treatment. Again anyone on this already?

The Herceptin is to be done every 3 weeks for a year, the Oncologist wants me to keep picc line in as easiest option, but this means i wont be able to do spa days, swimming etc for a year (was looking forward to some sort of relaxation after all this is over!!!) what are my options with this? Also realistically was looking forward to some part time work but worried about the implications of continual appointments to do this, that and everything else!!! Hosp is 45 mins away at least and bad for parking and so on so its not just an afternoon's jaunt, it usually turns into a full days trip!!! Also are there bad side effects to this??

Sorry everyone else is having rubbish times, but we can and will get through this, just feels a bit pants at the moment!!!

alabamasam

Sorry Leangobird that you have this infection in your line. How long have you had it as I had my Hickman fitted on nov 26th and all was fine with it till the district nurse flushed it and about two hours later it developed a bump about two inches from the neck entry. Chemo unit just say it could be just as it is new and my body needs to get used to it. My temp is ok so I guess I just need to keep an eye on it, it's a little sore but fingers crossed.
I hope you get this sorted for you quickly
Sam xxx
Biddlybee

Dear leamangobird, hope they get you sorted out soon, and shelly hope you are doing ok ? Sending hugs xx
Shelly_8

Hang on in there Leamangobird, you're going to get through this! xx

The

Hope you get home soon leamangobird! Xxx
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Shelly, thank you so much for your reply. Glad you're feeling better now too. I love walking on the beach, favourite thing in the whole world is simply looking at and hearing the sea. Unfortunately, we live nearly 2 hours away from nearest one, so it's more a special treat. Didn't get chance to respond till now as unfortunately was admitted onto cancer care ward last night - and still here! Suspected infection in Hickman Line but won't know for sure till cultures come back. Def an infection somewhere cos bloods show it, just not certain where or why yet. Was very, very poorly when admitted but IV antibiotics and fluids seem to be helping. Fingers crossed it won't be the line! Love to you all x x
Shelly_8

Thanks Sarah, i'm back to the usual me today, Leamangobird hope you're doing ok. xx

sarkev123

Hi ladies. So sorry a couple of you aren't feeling to well emotionally at the mo.
I also call them wobbly days, I'm very very positive also the majority of the time but it just gets to you sometimes.
I think its a waste of time trying to get over these days but best to maybe ride the wave! Sometimes we will get down but we have to let ourselves feel down, i think were entitled to it (only now and again mind!) Ha! Xxx
Shelly_8

Hey and make sure you keep in touch with the lady you swopped numbers with, i'm sure you can support eachother x

Shelly_8

Hi Leamangobird,

I'm feeling exactly the same today, i've cried for ages feeling a bit sorry for myself. I am really positive about 95% of the time, and then sometimes it sort of overwhelms me. My OH is so supportive and there for me but i find the forum so helpful as we're all in it together, and understand what we're going through.

Yesterday i felt fine, went for a long walk on the beach, then slept like a log. Today i've got all these thoughts of the treatment ahead, it's like a fear of the unknown.

I don't know if you are having any complementary therapies, but i really want to try something like mindfulness or meditation. I'm having the Alexander Technique once a week at the mo which is helping.

I don't know about you, but i find walking really helps if you feel up to it (don't like the lack of sunshine/daylight at the moment).

The steroids make me a bit hyper too!

I think we have a good reason to cry, it's done me good anyway! Maybe it is partly the side effects, but for me i think i'm just having a bit of a wobbly day!

Tomorrow i know i will be ok again and so will you. Hang on in there! Sorry for the long post but when i read it i thought that's exactly how i feel, i need to tell Leamangobird (what a lovely name!) she's going to feel better.

Guest user
Not applicable

Me again, sorry! No sleep at all last night, too wired I think from steroids given during treatment yesterday. Same happened last time. So admit am feeling exhausted, but am SO O O O emotional today. Have cried and cried for no reason and just want to climb under my quilt for the day! Does anyone know if this is just a typical se of treatment? Hate it - would rather have a physical se I think!! o_O x
Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks Shelly, am doing ok. I had second session of FEC today (Monday). Some abnormalities with liver and kidney function according to blood test taken Sunday but allowed to go ahead as fortunately felt very well today. Four and half hour wait tho as they were running behind - however delay meant that I got talking to someone with same type of diagnosis as me (grade 3, aggressive, triple neg but no sign in lymph nodes, thankfully). So it was time well spent as we exchanged contact numbers and hope to meet up 🙂 Hope all is good with you too x
Shelly_8

Hey that looks really good, not a paraben in sight and it's affordable too! Constantly having to moisturise at the moment.

Leamangobird hope you're ok and got sorted out.

Pots i'm hoping i've got strong hair follicles too as i've still got a tufty bit at the side of my head that looks like it's here to stay, also still got 'bits' of hair i can feel on my scalp.

Hope everyone's doing ok xx

The

http://mytrustylittlesunflowercream.co.uk/about.html
Just found this on another thread which may be of intersect they said its really good. Xxx
The

That's good Hun best to get checked to put your mind at rest fingers crossed its all ok xxx
Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks for reply the member. Chemotherapy nurse rang today to check about blood test appt so told her. She is concerned it might affect blood count as bleed lots, am going to unit tomorrow for check up x
The

Leamsngobird it doesn't seem to be your lucky day !! Hope everything has settled down and your ok now. But I would definitely give chemo unit a ring just to check everything out as you can't afford to sit on it if you do have infection Hun best to get it sorted to know for sure xxx
Guest user
Not applicable

Can't believe I've been so stupid but have just stepped out of shower and on to a razor blade! Huge cut on foot, lots of blood tho seems to be easing now. Should I be worried re blood count and/or infection? X
Pots14

Hi Leamangobird,

agree with Biddlybir. I would definitely ring the chemo nurses - they may well want to check your bloods especially as you say you don't normally get a temp when you're ill. They'll want to keep you on track for your next chemo.

Selley8  - I'm due my 2nd tax (4th treatment of fec-t) on tuesday and noticed this morning my hair's already growing back, which sent me into a little panic thinking the tax wasn't working. Have done a bit of research on the forum and now know it's quite common (means have got strong hair follicles), although for some the re-growth doesn't start until the end of treatment. There's never a straight answer with this is there - always seems to be "it depends"

Pots

Biddlybee

Yes week 3 is supposed to be the good week, and yes it is probably chemo related! Knocks us for six doesnt it. Might be worth putting a call in to the onc nurse anyway hon if you are not feeling well, see what they say. Hope you have a good night's sleep xxx
Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks Anne, will look them up x
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi BB, temp is only 36.5 which is high for me as usually between 34 and 35 - my temp isn't great indicator as rarely goes up even when very ill. Will see how night goes. Is it chemotherapy related still do you think?? X
apandy

I got mine from Annabandana, Leamangobird.

Anne x

Biddlybee

Hello Leamangobird, if you have a temp of 37.5 you need to ring your onc unit and talk to them hon xx take care